• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Camera Equipment Megathread

Status
Not open for further replies.

tino

Banned
Fujifilm X-M1, mini X-E1 with no EVF and a new cheap 16-50 kit lens.

fuji_x-m1_f2_zps0f5b71d9_large_verge_medium_landscape.jpg

fuji_x-m1_b1_zps028c5465.jpg

Wifi, Tile screen and probably no touch screen. It's basically a direct Sony Nex-5series fighter. Fuji isn't kidding around.

tino

Banned
seriously mourning the loss of aperture rings and shutter speed dials over here

You control the aperture on the lens...wait, there is no aperture ring on the lens??? How do you use this lens on the other bodies?

Fuck, there is no aperture ring on the 27mm pancake either.

yeah, exactly. i really don't want a fragmented X-mount lens lineup where there's a lower tier that won't work well on certain bodies, but that sure looks like what fuji is doing.

i was going to get the 27mm pancake, now i'm pretty sure i won't. firmware won't make this make sense.

I can see why people not ready for the files for the D800 have a lot of problems, they are a beast to process and store.

Luckily, I planned accordingly and bumped my computer to 24GB of RAM and bought 2 2TB drives for new photo drive and backup. Have a couple panos already that are 5GB PSB files (still working on them) and had Photoshop using up to 16GB of RAM just to process the stitching. Wild. Just creating a TIF to edit a photo in Nik Filters makes a 140MB file.

Besides that, this camera is fucking incredible. Everything said about it's dynamic range is absolutely true as well. Amazing tool.

I'm in love with my D7000, finally picked up a 35mm 1.8 lens as well, and this thing is amazing. Colors really pop, crisp sharp focus, makes my prior DSLR (Nikon D40) seem like some childs toy.

WoodWERD

Do you guys know whether there's any competition for the RX-100 coming in the next month or so? Or if Sony is planning a revised model? I'm still planning on heading to China in late August, so that gives me a bit more time to buy and I want to have the latest and greatest in that range. Thanks!

RuGalz

Do you guys know whether there's any competition for the RX-100 coming in the next month or so? Or if Sony is planning a revised model? I'm still planning on heading to China in late August, so that gives me a bit more time to buy and I want to have the latest and greatest in that range. Thanks!

Supposedly they are announcing another model with articulating screen next week...

diaspora

I... I had the chance to get the Fuji XF1 for $250 new but I had to pass because of money I already blew on an SSD and because I've got 2 DSLRs at home. My heart is breaking. D=

ravien56

Hello everyone, I have a question about which camera I should buy.

I can get a Nikon J1, with a stock lens, I believe it’s a 10-30 lens for $225. The same store is also selling on clearance a Sony Nex f3k, for $250. Speaking to the store clerk, she told me the Nikon would be a better buy, however looking through some reviews of both cameras, it looks like the Sony camera may be the better choice. With that said, what do you guys think I should get?

Also, buying lens for both cameras, which one offers more options? Can you only attach the mirrorless brand lens to each of these cameras?

Hello everyone, I have a question about which camera I should buy.

I can get a Nikon J1, with a stock lens, I believe it’s a 10-30 lens for $225. The same store is also selling on clearance a Sony Nex f3k, for $250. Speaking to the store clerk, she told me the Nikon would be a better buy, however looking through some reviews of both cameras, it looks like the Sony camera may be the better choice. With that said, what do you guys think I should get?

Also, buying lens for both cameras, which one offers more options? Can you only attach the mirrorless brand lens to each of these cameras?

Used or old new stock?

Do you have any other mirrorless options? Considered budget DSLRs?

There are adapters for both of these mounts, by the way, if you're willing to venture into adapter territory.

ravien56

old new stock.

Those seem to be the only mirrorless one's on clearance. I'm considering the mirrorless as they seem to be more beginner friendly compared to dslr and the size is a lot smaller

WoodWERD

Supposedly they are announcing another model with articulating screen next week...

You're right, thanks! The sites I found mention a 6/27 announce date, so does that indicate a fall release? If so, boooo! They also mention a new CMOS censor, WiFi and NFC, but no talk about the screen.

tino

Banned
old new stock.

Those seem to be the only mirrorless one's on clearance. I'm considering the mirrorless as they seem to be more beginner friendly compared to dslr and the size is a lot smaller

The NEX is a better deal than the J1. It comes with a lens right?

You can trush it for a year and sell it for around the same price. As for F3 vs J1. Nikon has better AF but worse at everything else.

ravien56

The NEX is a better deal than the J1. It comes with a lens right?

You can trush it for a year and sell it for around the same price. As for F3 vs J1. Nikon has better AF but worse at everything else.

It does come with a lens. I want the camera to also be able to record decent videos but still take great pictures. Sounds like the F3 is the winner however.

cbox

Little peeved at canon right now. My 7d after owning it since it's release, my batteries suddenly no longer display the charge count. Looking online, seems as though I have a nice 200 dollar service bill coming my way if I happen to get it repaired. Otherwise, the camera works, but I can't see the charge which SUCKS because I primarily shoot weddings.

Anyone else experience this on their canon body?

diaspora

Little peeved at canon right now. My 7d after owning it since it's release, my batteries suddenly no longer display the charge count. Looking online, seems as though I have a nice 200 dollar service bill coming my way if I happen to get it repaired. Otherwise, the camera works, but I can't see the charge which SUCKS because I primarily shoot weddings.

Anyone else experience this on their canon body?

Not in the 8 years with my Rebel XT.

It does come with a lens. I want the camera to also be able to record decent videos but still take great pictures. Sounds like the F3 is the winner however.

I hope you enjoy your NEX-F3, then.

Do remember to check what's bundled, by the way. Don't want to be missing something when you should have it.

v4gr4nt

I went from having the stock lens and a low end sports zoom lens on my 550D to picking up a 50mm 1.4 even though I was and am still "starting out".

The 50mm was definitely a learning curve as the fixed nature of it and the shallow high DOF mean you have to think more and be more physical with every shot. It can be very punishing if you get something wrong.

However, the sharpness, high DOF, low light performance, and richness of the colour make a huge difference. And actually having to be more deliberate with every shot actually improved my yield of good photos. The quality improvement in my photos after picking up this lens was dramatic and immediate, and I feel like it has helped me level up my actual skill (with any camera) despite me being self taught. I use this lens for most of my photos.

My only reservations with it as noted in my post earlier on the page above is that it doesn't work so well at longer range in a wedding or catwalk situation, and I've found sometimes with it as my walk around lens it isn't versatile enough if I can't get into the right physical space or close enough to the subject. Still, I prefer it 100% of the time over my stock lens anyway.
Just ordered it ! I'll report back as soon as I get it.
Thanks you all for your advices

seriously mourning the loss of aperture rings and shutter speed dials over here

considering this upon the official announcement, the MX-1 does actually look like the best entry-level mirrorless option today. even if i'd personally miss the viewfinder and traditional controls, the standard modern layout looks to have been done better than just about any other camera in its class (it's small but has twin dials and a bunch of other stuff) and the image quality will be pretty unbeatable — not to mention access to fuji's rapidly growing and increasingly awesome lens catalog. even the new kit lens sounds better than most.

plus there's an x-pro/E1 update coming with faster autofocus and peaking to bring it in line with the M, so i'm happy.

Donos

Just bought a Sigma 30mm F2.8 (used for 80€) to help me over till i can afford a SEL35F1.8 (will take a while -_-) for my NEX-5N. Making ton of pics of my gf atm so i'm curious how it will turn out with the new lens.

-KRS-

So the Nikkor DX 55-200mm f/4-5.6 VR IF-ED I have seems to have trouble auto focusing. I just pulled it out to use it with my nifty-fifty to take some macro shots and it makes a weird squeeking noise and can never seem to find the focus correctly except for very rarely. Sometimes it seems to even lock up completely and the focus ring becomes immovable even if I put it in manual, though flipping the focus switch on the lens back and forth unlocks it. Is it the Silent Wave Motor that's broken? I suspect so but just want to see if anyone can confirm it. Oh and this seems to happen mostly when the lens is zoomed in. When its at 55mm it seems to work.

The really odd thing is that this lens has just been standing on my shelf for over 2 years. I bought a Nikkor AF-S 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6 VR IF-ED so I haven't been using it at all since then. And last time I used it it worked just fine. I did drop it one time from waist-height onto a dirt road but managed to soften the fall a bit with my leg, and when I mounted the lens afterwards it worked just like before and continued to work fine for several months after that. Then I bought the 70-300 and as I said it's just been standing on my shelf since then. So it's weird that it would just break like that.

Since I almost never use it I don't care that much, and it's a cheap lens as well, but I've been meaning to sell it so it kind of sucks a little. I don't think I'll bother sending it in for repair since I imagine the cost will likely be almost as much as a new one.

Edit: Another thing I noticed is that it seems the lens tells the camera that there isn't enough light even though there is. Sure it wasn't overly bright where I tested it but there's a flash symbol flashing in the viewfinder all the time. And when focusing it lights up the autofocus help light on the camera. So maybe it's more than just the focus motor that's broken. But even though these things happen, it still doesn't show "Low" on the shutter speed value like it would if it really was too dark. I dunno, it's weird.

Flo_Evans

Where was it stored? If it sat for that long some of the lube could of dried/gotten crusty and/or there could be corrosion.

From the sounds of it though I am leaning towards some of the electronics gone bad. Flipping the switch back and forth sounds like some contact problems.

-KRS-

I just kept it on a shelf in my bedroom. Yeah I have no idea what it could be. It does sound likely that the electronics have gone bad though, somehow. When it's squeeking it doesn't sound healthy either. It's like there's some resistance for the motor maybe. And when the focus ring locks up it's completely stiff. Normally there's a little wiggle room on the focus ring but when that happens you can't move it at all. That's when you have to flick the switch two or three times for it to become normal again.

Not sure how electronics go bad by not being used unless it's in high humidity and condensation or something. But oh well. Luckily it wasn't one of my other lenses. Now I just don't know what to do with it.

GlamFM

Banned
Why don't you keep the SLR and get a X100?

I have a X100 and I hate it because the autofocus is crap and the manual focus is useless.
Apparently that was fixed with the X100s, but now I´m kind of burned on this camera.

The full frame and Zeiss combo on the RX1 seems so good!

tino

Banned
I have a X100 and I hate it because the autofocus is crap and the manual focus is useless.
Apparently that was fixed with the X100s, but now I´m kind of burned on this camera.

The full frame and Zeiss combo on the RX1 seems so good!

Well its your money.

Bealost

Hey guys, my gf and I are outdoorsy people and are looking into getting one of the "rugged" point and shoots. We want to bring a camera out on some adventures but there is a good (100%) chance of it getting at least rained on (if not dropped into some random body of water). Was wondering what sorts of features we should look for in a digital P&S, any sensors to look for or avoid, anything at all that can help me decide between then numerous options out there?

Thanks!

Hey guys, my gf and I are outdoorsy people and are looking into getting one of the "rugged" point and shoots. We want to bring a camera out on some adventures but there is a good (100%) chance of it getting at least rained on (if not dropped into some random body of water). Was wondering what sorts of features we should look for in a digital P&S, any sensors to look for or avoid, anything at all that can help me decide between then numerous options out there?

Thanks!

This vid should give you an idea. Gives a good synopsis of a few of the new waterproof P&S cameras. I think the rugged Sony P&S cameras are supposed to be pretty good too.

http://youtu.be/btcljWkpg5U

RuGalz

Been looking at this for the past couple weeks as well. First of all, be aware that their image quality isn't going to be that great to begin with relative to the same class of P&S so you really get what you pay for... I really wish someone would make a fixed lens, high quality, waterproof camera instead of spending all the cost on waterproofing it and completely cheap out on the lens/sensor performance.

Any how, what's said in this article is roughly the general consensus, pretty much you have to pick whether any specific area is more important to you than the other... http://www.digitalcamerainfo.com/features/2013-waterproof-camera-roundup

Red

Does anyone know if adapters exist which allow you to reverse mount a lens on another reversed lens? Or failing that, if there are adapters that allow a 58mm or 62mm filter size to mount a 77mm+ filter size reversed. The most I can find is 58mm to 62mm... I ordered one that claimed to be 58mm to 77mm and when it arrived it was another 58/62.

Shoogoo

It is so difficult to get into this hobby, the jargon is so technical and complicated, and there is so much choice, damn.

Is there a commonly recommended $400-$500 camera that is good for beginners?

Jzero

It is so difficult to get into this hobby, the jargon is so technical and complicated, and there is so much choice, damn.

It's not really hard to get into it if you are interested in the subject of photography from the start. Just play around with the camera. You don't really need to know all the information, just focus on shutter speed and aperture. If you don't enjoy it right off the bat then you probably should look for a different hobby since it is an expensive one.

First question. Compact, mirrorless, or DSLR? Most modern cameras should have a decent automatic mode and Program. Some come with a guide and/or handbook. And there's the rare few that provide you with a workshop. Of course, it all depends on what you're able to get.

RuGalz

Does anyone know if adapters exist which allow you to reverse mount a lens on another reversed lens? Or failing that, if there are adapters that allow a 58mm or 62mm filter size to mount a 77mm+ filter size reversed. The most I can find is 58mm to 62mm... I ordered one that claimed to be 58mm to 77mm and when it arrived it was another 58/62.

Reverse mount on an already reversed lens? What does that do?

I'm fairly sure you need to stack a couple sizes to go from 58 to 77.

Shoogoo

First question. Compact, mirrorless, or DSLR? Most modern cameras should have a decent automatic mode and Program. Some come with a guide and/or handbook. And there's the rare few that provide you with a workshop. Of course, it all depends on what you're able to get.

You already lost me. I understand that DSLR is what we call a Reflex in french, but aren't these above the $400-500 price range?

3pvQe.png

I found this on the subject, I'd say MILCs' look interesting, as I'm not sure if I need a DSLR.

You already lost me. I understand that DSLR is what we call a Reflex in french, but aren't these above the $400-500 price range?

3pvQe.png

I found this on the subject, I'd say MILCs' look interesting, as I'm not sure if I need a DSLR.

You can always look for deals on cameras one generation old and they probably will have old new stock for them.

Best to check your options before I give you suggestions. Check both local stores and online for camera deals. What can you buy?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom