• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Camera Equipment Megathread

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have a slr system already? Just get the smallest camera. x100S or Ricoh GR.

Yeah, looking for something discrete when situations call for it. I love my DSLR but it's not always the easiest to take pictures with. I like street photography and a honking L lens attached to a 7D makes people act weird.

Jzero

Man, people really need to stop making 'Photography' pages on Facebook just because they bought a DSLR. Most of the photos on those types of pages suck ass. Some girl was using comic sans for her logo.
KuGsj.gif

Damaged

Man, people really need to stop making 'Photography' pages on Facebook just because they bought a DSLR. Most of the photos on those types of pages suck ass. Some girl was using comic sans for her logo.
KuGsj.gif

Totally agree, so many people I know seem to be setting themselves up as a photographer without even knowing the basics. Really feel for some of the people paying for this and getting very poor quality images.

Totally agree, so many people I know seem to be setting themselves up as a photographer without even knowing the basics. Really feel for some of the people paying for this and getting very poor quality images.

It takes awhile to learn and the real ones will stick with the tough learning curve.

So I got a Canon Powershot SX160 IS, and while it takes beautiful pictures and video, it takes AA batteries and eats through them like nobody's business. I'm currently wondering if I made a huge mistake.

What are peoples thoughts about factory refurbished cameras?

I saw a great deal for a Nikon Factory refurbished D7000 for 719, and I'm seriously considering it.

shantyman

WHO DEY!?
Yeah, looking for something discrete when situations call for it. I love my DSLR but it's not always the easiest to take pictures with. I like street photography and a honking L lens attached to a 7D makes people act weird.

Look through this thread and you will see me professing my love for my X100. It's such a great camera. My vote is that (or 100S) if you have the money.

Look through this thread and you will see me professing my love for my X100. It's such a great camera. My vote is that (or 100S) if you have the money.

Yeah, now waffling between the two. May just take the miniscule bad issues with the x100 and save some money. Also, the stock issues with the x100s are somewhat crazy.

Mario

Sidhe / PikPok
Was wondering if you guys had some advice on a new lens suitable for amateur fashion show photography. I'm still kind of just bumbling along and teaching myself so not sure what I should be looking for.

For my Canon 550D, I currently have the stock lens it came with, a Canon EF 50mm F1.4 USM, and a Canon EF 75-300mm IS USM lens.

For fashion shows and bikini comps, the distance from the models often varies highly from a few feet to 10 yards, and the lighting is all over the place though mostly dark. The stock lens sucks, the 75-300mm is a bit unwieldy and no good close up, and the 50mm is only really useful at close range and is punishing if I get something slightly wrong. I've been getting by on the 50mm because I like the sharpness and performance in low light, but I feel I need a higher quality more versatile lens for my next few attempts.

Am probably willing to spend in the US$800-1000 region.

Any advice?

Lumix

Was wondering if you guys had some advice on a new lens suitable for amateur fashion show photography. I'm still kind of just bumbling along and teaching myself so not sure what I should be looking for.

For my Canon 550D, I currently have the stock lens it came with, a Canon EF 50mm F1.4 USM, and a Canon EF 75-300mm IS USM lens.

For fashion shows and bikini comps, the distance from the models often varies highly from a few feet to 10 yards, and the lighting is all over the place though mostly dark. The stock lens sucks, the 75-300mm is a bit unwieldy and no good close up, and the 50mm is only really useful at close range and is punishing if I get something slightly wrong. I've been getting by on the 50mm because I like the sharpness and performance in low light, but I feel I need a higher quality more versatile lens for my next few attempts.

Am probably willing to spend in the US$800-1000 region.

Any advice?

For that price range, I would stick with fast primes.
These have quick, accurate autofocus while letting in more light.

Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM
Canon EF 100mm f/2 USM

You just have correct the fringing in post, if you use them wide open.
Purchased together new, both would be under $800 USD.

If you can find it used, or a new in a good deal, you can substitute the 100mm f/2 with the Canon 135mm f/2L instead.
It just might be too long for your crop sensor camera.

Mario

Sidhe / PikPok
For that price range, I would stick with fast primes.
These have quick, accurate autofocus while letting in more light.

Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM
Canon EF 100mm f/2 USM

You just have correct the fringing in post, if you use them wide open.
Purchased together new, both would be under $800 USD.

If you can find it used, or a new in a good deal, you can substitute the 100mm f/2 with the Canon 135mm f/2L instead.
It just might be too long for your crop sensor camera.

Thanks. I shall attempt to decipher this post and will take a look at these lenses :)

tino

Banned
Getting back time lapse photography again. I am getting a Canon S100. I will put CHKD on it and see if i can fly it with a 36 inch balloon.

In other news, I did a survey on all current mirrorless cameras and found out NEX-5R and NEX-6 are the best easy time lapse options. I was going to dump my NEX gears and maybe switch to ESO M. Guess I don't have to.

Just wondering if anyone has had prior experience in buying factory refurbished cameras/lens before?

My Sony A-580 was factory refurbished. Still works like a charm and looked totally new at the beginning.
I think there is less risk in a factory refurbished camera than buying any used camera. Just look at the fine print of the warranty given by the dealer. At least one year unconditioned warranty is recommended.

Ecto311

Noob question: Looking at the mirrorless under $450 range cameras - Currently looking at the nikon 1 j2 or the sony NEX-3NL even though it is a bit over $450. I had a D40 and sold it for something that looks to take the same pictures and maybe a decent 1080p video with zoom.

This will be used to take pictures of my 3yr old and normal out and about pictures. Any thing specific I should look at. I was considering the nx1000 from samsung but found a lot of forums talking down the wifi finder since it doesn't connect well at times.

centracore

Just bought a factory refurbished D7000. Got a great deal, was able to pick it up for $620.

Can't wait to have it get here.

That is an awesome deal, I bought a D7000 around this time last year and absolutely love it. Where did you get it for that price, if you don't mind me asking?

SO when will canon be releasing a successor to the EOS M?

I'm going to be selling my MK II this year and buying a Black Magic cinema camera for video.

I would like to keep taking nice photos, but would prefer something smaller and mirrorless, so I am planning on getting whatever the next version will be.

Too many L lenses to invest in another company for mirror less, and they are compatible with the black magic camera as well so it only makes sense.

SO when will canon be releasing a successor to the EOS M?

I'm going to be selling my MK II this year and buying a Black Magic cinema camera for video.

I would like to keep taking nice photos, but would prefer something smaller and mirrorless, so I am planning on getting whatever the next version will be.

Too many L lenses to invest in another company for mirror less, and they are compatible with the black magic camera as well so it only makes sense.

It seems fairly worthless to go for an M if you are looking for something smaller while putting L's on it will pretty much negate that. Were you planning on buying the M lenses?

It seems fairly worthless to go for an M if you are looking for something smaller while putting L's on it will pretty much negate that. Were you planning on buying the M lenses?

Well yes. I just also would like to retain the full ability of my L Lenses as well. When using those sure, the size of the camera body doesnt matter, but otherwise I would definitely be looking at some of their lenses as well.

Anybody have any recommendations for equipment for shooting in a nightclub? I'm still very much an amateur, but I may have some jobs lined up at a club and I have never done anything like that before. All I have is the on-camera flash, so I'll definitely need to get something external. Any relatively inexpensive options? Any other equipment I should be sure to get? Flash Diffuser? I have a Canon 60D if that makes a difference.

I've done some reading online already and am just looking for a few different opinions from GAF. Also any suggestions on camera settings for night club pictures would be alright too.

Thanks!

Well yes. I just also would like to retain the full ability of my L Lenses as well. When using those sure, the size of the camera body doesnt matter, but otherwise I would definitely be looking at some of their lenses as well.

I've been looking at all of the 4/3rd options over the last couple of weeks. The M seemed reasonable but from my findings there is no indication of a revamp anytime soon. The fire sale on them is due to the inherent issues with the camera I believe. If you are planning on expanding lenses anyway I'd just go for the current M. It's cheap enough right now. I was going to go mirrorless with an interchangeable lens system (OM-D) but decided to go for the x100. No lens changing but that's fine for me. If you do get an M, please post pics of L glass on it. I've seen many but I love the look of it on such a small camera. BTW, the Nikon 1 series is super cheap right now as well but may not suit your needs.

Mario

Sidhe / PikPok

I managed to find a used 135mm for just a smidgeon over $800 so picked that up.

Thanks for the advice. Look forward to trying it out.

v4gr4nt

I got my first DSLR with a Nikon 5100 a few months ago with the standard 18-55mm lens, and since then I have been learning and enjoying a lot photographing. Reading on some sites people talks wonders of fixed lens, specifically of the 50mm/1.4. Is it a good lens to start generaly speaking? It is kind of "expensive" since I'm just starting this as a hobby, so I want to know if it is worth it.
Thanks!

I got my first DSLR with a Nikon 5100 a few months ago with the standard 18-55mm lens, and since then I have been learning and enjoying a lot photographing. Reading on some sites people talks wonders of fixed lens, specifically of the 50mm/1.4. Is it a good lens to start generaly speaking? It is kind of "expensive" since I'm just starting this as a hobby, so I want to know if it is worth it.
Thanks!

Depends on what you feel you'll gain from getting a prime. In your time discovering photography, what do you feel your equipment isn't allowing you to do that you want to do?

Nice. I'd love to own a D800.

I'm gonna try to get a used D600 off craigslist in the coming weeks.

Cool. Yeah, I am stepping up from a D200, so the leap is very significant in all areas. My wife got a commission that needed the resolution jump badly (large panels), and easily paid for the D800 from the project startup funds.

Now to get around to lens wheeling and dealing as I figure out what to do with my DX gear and pick up another FX lens or 3.

(._.)

Banned
Thanks!

Yes, I actually started on a D5100 a little over 6 months ago and the 50mm/1.4 was the 2nd lens I bought myself for it after moving on from the kit zoom and old lenses given to me. It's what I always had on my DSLR before I sold it. Probably my all around favorite lens. I am not really a fan of zooms in that middle range, which they make a lot of. I purchased one of the best ones Nikon makes mainly to see if I would like it and after a few months felt that I preferred the 50mm/1.4

It is able to cover 70% of the shots I'd take, SO MUCH smaller/lighter, and I feel it boosts my creativity since it makes me move around more.

Get it if you have the disposable income.

Cool. Yeah, I am stepping up from a D200, so the leap is very significant in all areas. My wife got a commission that needed the resolution jump badly (large panels), and easily paid for the D800 from the project startup funds.

Now to get around to lens wheeling and dealing as I figure out what to do with my DX gear and pick up another FX lens or 3.

I'd like a few different FX lenses but they are so damn expensive ad I can't justify spending that type of money on some of them. I can see how like a telephoto or specialty lens can be pricey but the newest Nikkon 35mm 1.4 is almost 2K, I just don't get it.

v4gr4nt

Depends on what you feel you'll gain from getting a prime. In your time discovering photography, what do you feel your equipment isn't allowing you to do that you want to do?

Mainly to take good pics at low light conditions and with a low depth of field. Also, I have heard the image quality is superb.
On the other hand I'm not sure if getting a fixed lens is a good idea for me given I'm just starting and my actual lens already cover that focal lenght.

edit:

Yes, I actually started on a D5100 a little over 6 months ago and the 50mm/1.4 was the 2nd lens I bought myself for it after moving on from the kit zoom and old lenses given to me. It's what I always had on my DSLR before I sold it. Probably my all around favorite lens. I am not really a fan of zooms in that middle range, which they make a lot of. I purchased one of the best ones Nikon makes mainly to see if I would like it and after a few months felt that I preferred the 50mm/1.4

It is able to cover 70% of the shots I'd take, SO MUCH smaller/lighter, and I feel it boosts my creativity since it makes me move around more.

Get it if you have the disposable income.
Thanks! That's what I wanted to hear :) Any difference between the 50mm/1.4 and /1.8 that make worth the extra bucks?

Mainly to take good pics at low light conditions and with a low depth of field. Also, I have heard the image quality is superb.
On the other hand I'm not sure if getting a fixed lens is a good idea for me given I'm just starting and my actual lens already cover that focal lenght.

Shooting fixed is just a different way. Having a lens that covers that focal range and overlaps prime and zoom doesn't really matter so much as the image is better generally with a prime and you also get some stops due to better apertures. Do you only have the kit lens?

v4gr4nt

Shooting fixed is just a different way. Having a lens that covers that focal range and overlaps prime and zoom doesn't really matter so much as the image is better generally with a prime and you also get some stops due to better apertures. Do you only have the kit lens?

Yeah, only the 18-55mm that came with the camera. Given I'm just a few months old on this, I wasn't sure if it is a good idea to start buying new lens already, but I guess if it is a matter of time, sooner or later I'm gonna have to.

Yeah, only the 18-55mm that came with the camera. Given I'm just a few months old on this, I wasn't sure if it is a good idea to start buying new lens already, but I guess if it is a matter of time, sooner or later I'm gonna have to.

You have a few options and each is kind of based on your preferences. Your kit lens might be showing its limitations by having issues like hunting for focus in lowlight. You can replace it with a better lens with similar focal lengths but lower aperture and better build quality. This is probably the least sexy option because you are replacing it with something familiar.

The next is to delve into the primes which is what you seem to be leaning towards. Better quality and better apertures but you lose some of the nice ability to adjust focal length and instead have to think about composing your pictures based on where you stand. That's a great tool and skill to learn.

The third, is if you think you want to expand your zoom capabilities. Buying a good zoom lens that starts at the low end where your kit lens is at it's highest and then goes up to about 250-300mm. This gives you plenty of reach all through the spectrum.

It seems like your ready to dive into primes though so if you can only afford one lens and want to buy a good one the Nikon 1.4 seems like a good choice.

Take into consideration what you like to shoot and tailor your lens purchase to that. Also, if you shoot a lot of short focal length on your kit (18mm range) then maybe a 50mm isn't for you.

I can tell you I've been through a lot of fumbling purchases in my short time doing this and finding the right path is hard so don't worry if you buy something you don't like. Renting is also a good way to check out equipment you are unsure of.

tino

Banned
The 35/1.8 is probably better "my first prime" for an APSC body. You can also get the Sigma 30/1.4. 50 is too long for street and too short for portrait.

Donos

SEL35F1.8 is on top of my "want" list for my NEX-5N but it's just too much €. Gf would kill me. I shoot almost always without flash (especially when i'm with friends) and i see that the 1855 just hits it limits when the light is not so good. The moment is see the lens for 300€, i'm getting it no matter what.

I'm taking the camera with me every day now. Even when meeting with friends. I had to overcome the reservation of making pics when just sitting somewhere but now everybody is really grateful that i make so much "good" photos of them and two already want a mirrorless cam now (one has a good Nikon DSLR but likes the small NEX body).

Mario

Sidhe / PikPok

I went from having the stock lens and a low end sports zoom lens on my 550D to picking up a 50mm 1.4 even though I was and am still "starting out".

The 50mm was definitely a learning curve as the fixed nature of it and the shallow high DOF mean you have to think more and be more physical with every shot. It can be very punishing if you get something wrong.

However, the sharpness, high DOF, low light performance, and richness of the colour make a huge difference. And actually having to be more deliberate with every shot actually improved my yield of good photos. The quality improvement in my photos after picking up this lens was dramatic and immediate, and I feel like it has helped me level up my actual skill (with any camera) despite me being self taught. I use this lens for most of my photos.

My only reservations with it as noted in my post earlier on the page above is that it doesn't work so well at longer range in a wedding or catwalk situation, and I've found sometimes with it as my walk around lens it isn't versatile enough if I can't get into the right physical space or close enough to the subject. Still, I prefer it 100% of the time over my stock lens anyway.

phisheep

NeoGAF's Chief Barrister
Anybody have any recommendations for equipment for shooting in a nightclub? I'm still very much an amateur, but I may have some jobs lined up at a club and I have never done anything like that before. All I have is the on-camera flash, so I'll definitely need to get something external. Any relatively inexpensive options? Any other equipment I should be sure to get? Flash Diffuser? I have a Canon 60D if that makes a difference.

I've done some reading online already and am just looking for a few different opinions from GAF. Also any suggestions on camera settings for night club pictures would be alright too.

Thanks!

Depends rather a lot if you are going to be static or moving around. If you're taking pictures as people come in, or in a side-room then it's perfectly sensible to set up an off-camera flash and an umbrella on a lightstand. Works nicely.

If you're moving around it is a bit harder. Whatever you do has the potential for poking people in the eye. Ideally you'd have a big old softbox on a bracket for example, but it will cost you a fortune in public liability insurance.

Typically (and my shop is surrounded by pubs and nightclubs so I get a bit of practice), you can get away mostly with cranking the ISO up a touch and having a flashgun in your pocket at really low power just to bring the foreground out. Hand flashgun to someone sensible, take picture, make sure to get flashgun back.

Depends rather a lot if you are going to be static or moving around. If you're taking pictures as people come in, or in a side-room then it's perfectly sensible to set up an off-camera flash and an umbrella on a lightstand. Works nicely.

If you're moving around it is a bit harder. Whatever you do has the potential for poking people in the eye. Ideally you'd have a big old softbox on a bracket for example, but it will cost you a fortune in public liability insurance.

Typically (and my shop is surrounded by pubs and nightclubs so I get a bit of practice), you can get away mostly with cranking the ISO up a touch and having a flashgun in your pocket at really low power just to bring the foreground out. Hand flashgun to someone sensible, take picture, make sure to get flashgun back.

Thanks for the info. Appreciate it.

It'll be moving around, taking pics of the dance floor/bar/people having a good time. I'm in China and it'll just be some freelance stuff for extra cash so I won't have any need for insurance even if I go the "big old softbox on a bracket" route I think. People settle things straight cash here at the time of the incident haha.

Thanks again, any recommendations on flashguns?

tino

Banned

It'll be moving around, taking pics of the dance floor/bar/people having a good time. I'm in China and it'll just be some freelance stuff for extra cash so I won't have any need for insurance even if I go the "big old softbox on a bracket" route I think. People settle things straight cash here at the time of the incident haha.

If you are going to shoot in the same indoor setting the exposure can be fixed. If you want cheap get a YN560III, a defussor or reflector. If you can afford better get a TTL flash within your brand.

phisheep

NeoGAF's Chief Barrister

Like Tino said, I'd be tempted to go cheap. Once you've got your setting sorted
out there's nothing complicated with the flash. I use the old Yongnuos myself and they work just fine. Have spare batteries to hand.

The 35/1.8 is probably better "my first prime" for an APSC body. You can also get the Sigma 30/1.4. 50 is too long for street and too short for portrait.

agreed. everyone should have an APS-C 35, they just tend to be more expensive than 50s.

the fuji 35 1.4 is my favourite lens ever, worth buying an X camera for.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom