• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Camera Equipment Megathread

Status
Not open for further replies.
You already lost me. I understand that DSLR is what we call a Reflex in french, but aren't these above the $400-500 price range?

There is a huge used market, as well as new old stock of the previous generations.

I found this on the subject, I'd say MILCs' look interesting, as I'm not sure if I need a DSLR.

Need? Probably not. I've been in love with SLRs since I first held my dad's as a kid. I like how they feel and work, but that's me.

You said you wanted to get into this hobby, which implies you want to do more than take snapshots. To that end, you'll quickly want to have any sort of camera that allows you to easily adjust:
- shutter speed
- aperture
- ISO
- white balance

Once you have such a camera you can start working out what it all means by using it.

tino

Banned
You already lost me. I understand that DSLR is what we call a Reflex in french, but aren't these above the $400-500 price range?

3pvQe.png

I found this on the subject, I'd say MILCs' look interesting, as I'm not sure if I need a DSLR.

You have $500? Just get a RX100 and set it to auto mode. You can worry other things later. If you don't like RX100, get a X20 or Fuji XF1, its on sale. You can make good picture with any modern camera.

Jzero

Finally was able to buy a nifty fifty and yay i love it. The bokeh makes my photos look a lot nicer and the lens is sharper than the kit lens :)

I should of bought this lens once i started photography but that's the life of a broke college student

tino

Banned
Canon is only adding 2mp to the new 70D's sensor after 4 years of 18mp bodies. Does it mean the megapixel war is finally over?

Shoogoo

You have $500? Just get a RX100 and set it to auto mode..

Thank you, I've looked around and the RX100 really looks like an amazing camera.

The M2 adds a few features, and I'm trying to figure out if they'd be necessary to me;

- Tiltable LCD
- Multi Interface Shoe (Is that useful?)
- USB port is now a Multi Interface Terminal (what for?)
- WiFi (great)
- NFC (I don't own any NFC devices)
- Triluminous Color output through HDMI (seems like it's a Sony thing, not sure what it is though)
- Back-illuminated sensor (is that useful?)
- From ISO 6400 to ISO 12800

SaitoH

Canon is only adding 2mp to the new 70D's sensor after 4 years of 18mp bodies. Does it mean the megapixel war is finally over?

For whatever reason I assume they are trying to keep everything in line with the 6D and 5D mark iii, megapixel wise. Would be terrible to have a lower end camera with more megapixels ... right? Yah, I doesn't make sense to me either.

The good news is it's supposed to be a new sensor with "exceptional tonal range".

tino

Banned
For whatever reason I assume they are trying to keep everything in line with the 6D and 5D mark iii, megapixel wise. Would be terrible to have a lower end camera with more megapixels ... right? Yah, I doesn't make sense to me either.

The good news is it's supposed to be a new sensor with "exceptional tonal range".

Make sense to me, thats what Nikon did with the D300/D700. Now that Nikon doesn't rely on Sony to make sensor any more I hope they don't add random pixels to the new models.

RuGalz

Make sense to me, thats what Nikon did with the D300/D700. Now that Nikon doesn't rely on Sony to make sensor any more I hope they don't add random pixels to the new models.

As long as it still benefits, why not? (not saying it is necessarily) D5200's sensor rating still managed to improve slightly over other 16/20MP sensors.

So a shop that I go to is selling the 14-24mm for $1600 factory renewed. They're giving me the 5 year warranty option for $145 which covers accidental damage as well. Of course the Nikon warranty is only 90 days with factory renewed. I'd basically be saving $400. Worth it? I've never purchased a factory renewed/ used lens.

Doc Holliday

SPOILER: Columbus finds America
Thinking of selling my nex 5n to help fund the x100s. Having used it for almost a year I realize I mostly shoot at 35mm or close to it. Also the 5n + evf combo is not exactly travel friendly. I always feel like it's going to break.

Plus I really like the picture quality out of the fuji x cameras.

WoodWERD

How do you guys feel about extended warranties on cameras these days, specifically Sony? I usually take good care of my electronics, and as mentioned previously I plan to be living in China. Camera will be purchased in the US before I depart.

tino

Banned
How do you guys feel about extended warranties on cameras these days, specifically Sony? I usually take good care of my electronics, and as mentioned previously I plan to be living in China. Camera will be purchased in the US before I depart.

Why buy the warrenty if you can not service it?

The Chinese version should have Eng manu you know.

WoodWERD

Why buy the warrenty if you can not service it?

The Chinese version should have Eng manu you know.

Why wouldn't I be able to service it? And I want to have it before I go... Plus it seems electronics are usually more expensive in most cities in Asia.

tino

Banned
Why wouldn't I be able to service it? And I want to have it before I go... Plus it seems electronics are usually more expensive in most cities in Asia.

Becuase they don't service grey market products. You can give me the specify brand and model and I ll double check for you.

WoodWERD

How is it grey market exactly? I'd buy in the US and send it to an authorized Sony dealer if the need arises, I assume. I'm getting the RX100M2.

tino

Banned
How is it grey market exactly? I'd buy in the US and send it to an authorized Sony dealer if the need arises, I assume. I'm getting the RX100M2.

For Sony cameras. If you buy it in HK from an authorized Sony dealer, and get the "mainland area warranty card", you can still get 1 year service in both HK and China. This is usually 5-10% cheaper than China so many people do it. If you buy a camera on taobao (Chinese ebay), they are usually HK gray market and comes with dealer only warranty.

If you buy it in the major store in China, you get full mainland China warranty. For price see suning.com (or amazon.cn or newegg.cn)

If you buy the camera in the US, you don't get warranty service in China. The official Sony shops can still service for you and charge you the out-of-warranty price. Mind you US price before tax is usually very close to HK price. Sometime you might see some deal that's even cheaper than US/HK price, due to recent devalue of the yen you can get a Japan gray market lens thats even cheaper. But unless you know people there is no normal channel to buy it from Japan.

RuGalz

So that explains why 70D is only 20.2MP, there are 40.3M photodiodes for the dual pixel AF. Cramping more pixels will probably deteriorate the image quality too much. It will be interesting to see how the final product turns out.

Laekon

My Luminx Lx-7 was stolen out of a checked bag my last trip. Is it still about the best point and shoot with controls for under $400? It seems to always go on sale for $299. Jacket pocket size with good image quality and a decent zoom are the main things I need.

cbox

Will be curious to hear what you think about it.

I played around with one the other day on a sony body and was sold on it. Felt really well built and the optics were sharp at f/5 and up, I'll post impressions on my canon body as soon as it arrives.

mrkgoo

Yeah I just saw this - and I snapped one up at B&H, and hopefully it can ship to NZ ok.

I only want the EFM 22 and possibly an adaptor, and while I can't really afford this right now, it's a pretty good deal, considering the kits in NZ only supply the EF22mm as a twin lens plus flash kit.

For what it's worth, Amazon are price matching it too, but they won't ship to NZ.

cjdunn

Amazon is matching the price. (Adorama did for a while, now no longer).

I will not buy it. I will not buy it. I will not buy it. I will not buy it.

FUUUUU-- bought it.

Improvements from the firmware plus that price were impossible to ignore. Even with a new model possibly announced soon.

cbox

B&H is awesome, love this company. From NY to Toronto in a day and a half,

zykaA5k.jpg

LOVING it so far, impressions soon. IT's a Rokinon 8mm.

Lightroom's lens profile corrector is an insane tool, The Sigma 10mm profile de-fishes the image perfectly, good to know for the future.

Doc Holliday

SPOILER: Columbus finds America
B&H is awesome, love this company. From NY to Toronto in a day and a half,

zykaA5k.jpg

LOVING it so far, impressions soon. IT's a Rokinon 8mm.

Lightroom's lens profile corrector is an insane tool, The Sigma 10mm profile de-fishes the image perfectly, good to know for the future.

You should visit the store if you ever get a chance, its amazing. The entire store uses a conveyor belt system to move the merchandise around. You buy something on one floor and it magically shows up on your way out lol.

Memles

Looking for some advice:

I've been working with a Canon XSi since Spring 2009. It still works for the kind of amateur documentation of life photography I tend to do, but it's showing its age (it's over 5 years old, model wise), and a couple of friends have asked me to shoot their wedding photos in August.

I have the money to upgrade, but am stuck on what kind of upgrade I'm looking for. With the 70D out of the equation based on timing, and with no desire to upgrade to a 7D or above based on the uses I have for my camera, is the 60D my most logical option at this point? Amazon has the Body for $600, and that's a comfortable upgrade price for me (potentially leaving room for a new lens ideal for wedding portraits). I know it'll probably fall a bit further once discontinued for the new model, but I'm just trying to make sure I've got the upgrade settled before the wedding creeps up on me.

Thanks!

I'm not a canon guy, but I like your idea of getting a new camera body and a lens. Having two cameras with you at a wedding, 1 with a good portrait lens like a 50mm f/1.8 or 85mm f/1.8 and the other with your favorite zoom means you wont miss a beat changing lenses.

Sec0nd

Guys, would you recommend me a zoomlens? I'm going to Paris next week and I'm thinking about buying the Canon 55-250 lens. The week after I come back from Paris I'll be going on a trip to Berlin/Prague/Vienna/Venice/Florence/Bern. Would you bring a zoomlens to these places?

I'm really on the edge. I think such a lens can be glorious, but only for a couple of specific moments. I'll mostly be using it for video. I really don't know if I should buy it as I'm already spending a boatload of money on these trips. But I know for sure there will be a couple of instances that I will wish I had this lens. :/

centracore

Can anyone tell me what the "Focus Confirm Chip" is in the Nikon Rokinon 8mm fisheye lens? I see there are two models available, one without it and one with it for $40 more. I've done some Googling but haven't been able to find a reliable answer. I have a D7000, I don't know if that makes a difference or not..

I've been wanting to pickup a fisheye lens for awhile now, ConvenientBox's recent posts got me looking at the Rokinon ones.

Guys, would you recommend me a zoomlens? I'm going to Paris next week and I'm thinking about buying the Canon 55-250 lens. The week after I come back from Paris I'll be going on a trip to Berlin/Prague/Vienna/Venice/Florence/Bern. Would you bring a zoomlens to these places?

I'm really on the edge. I think such a lens can be glorious, but only for a couple of specific moments. I'll mostly be using it for video. I really don't know if I should buy it as I'm already spending a boatload of money on these trips. But I know for sure there will be a couple of instances that I will wish I had this lens. :/

Yes, a good zoom is a great addition to a kit. That is a pretty good zoom for what it costs. If you can though, get the 70-200mm f/4 IS L. That's a lot better.

Yes, a good zoom is a great addition to a kit. That is a pretty good zoom for what it costs. If you can though, get the 70-200mm f/4 IS L. That's a lot better.

Ha, classic gaf responce! That lens is more than twice his already stretched thin budget.

How about you tell us what lenses you already have, Sec0nd? It would give us a good idea of what you may work well for you.

Ha, classic gaf responce! That lens is more than twice his already stretched thin budget.

How about you tell us what lenses you already have, Sec0nd? It would give us a good idea of what you may work well for you.

More like 6 times. And that is the best lens for value (55-250mm) so he doesn't really need anymore recommendations if he's looking for a zoom.

tino

Banned

My recommendation is if you are going yourself, bring 2 or more lens. If you are going with your family, bring one lens only.

If you are dead set on bringing a telephoto lens, my opinion is that the 55-250mm is kind of cheap compare to the amount of money you put in Euro trips.

Guys, would you recommend me a zoomlens? I'm going to Paris next week and I'm thinking about buying the Canon 55-250 lens. The week after I come back from Paris I'll be going on a trip to Berlin/Prague/Vienna/Venice/Florence/Bern. Would you bring a zoomlens to these places?[...] But I know for sure there will be a couple of instances that I will wish I had this lens.

I'd consider taking a street zoom lens travelling in an urban space, but I wouldn't take a telephoto zoom like the one you listed. It's way too big, way too long. You'd be carrying it around for no purpose ("Oh! I want to take a picture of the duck in the pond there, we don't have ducks where I'm from. Let me get this murderously huge long lens from my overburdening camera bag.")

Sec0nd

Thanks for the replies guys! I'm already bringing my kit lens (18-55mm) and my 50mm lens. I'll probably be fine with these two lenses. Maybe getting the 55-250 will be overkill but I dunno...

And to reply to Tino, I'm really stupid when it comes to money. I have no problem spending a thousand bucks for such a trip but when it comes to a lens I really have to be sure I need and want it.

Edit: What I really want to do is to make another video similair to this one. In the end I didn't actually need more zoom. Just one or two shots would have benefitted from a little extra zoom. But on the other hand, you don't really know what situations you'll come across. Tricky!

Edit #2: I'm a lucky man. My girlfriend is buying a Cannon camera this week with a 75-300 lens so I get to use this one in Paris. I can test it out and see if I actually need and use it before I go on my extended trip through Europe.

cbox

Thanks for the replies guys! I'm already bringing my kit lens (18-55mm) and my 50mm lens. I'll probably be fine with these two lenses. Maybe getting the 55-250 will be overkill but I dunno...

And to reply to Tino, I'm really stupid when it comes to money. I have no problem spending a thousand bucks for such a trip but when it comes to a lens I really have to be sure I need and want it.

Edit: What I really want to do is to make another video similair to this one. In the end I didn't actually need more zoom. Just one or two shots would have benefitted from a little extra zoom. But on the other hand, you don't really know what situations you'll come across. Tricky!

Edit #2: I'm a lucky man. My girlfriend is buying a Cannon camera this week with a 75-300 lens so I get to use this one in Paris. I can test it out and see if I actually need and use it before I go on my extended trip through Europe.

That 75-300 is quite small if I remember. It won't add much in terms of length or bulk to your setup. Enjoy!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom