• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Camera Equipment Megathread

Status
Not open for further replies.

(._.)

Banned
I own a XE1, what do you want to know.
How would you say the experience differs from the x100s? It sounds like the x100s with a few less of the intuitive features but with a slightly more general fexperience in what it's good at capturing. I want a light well built camera to carry around everywhere. My phone camera is starting to show its limits.

tino

Banned
How would you say the experience differs from the x100s? It sounds like the x100s with a few less of the intuitive features but with a slightly more general fexperience in what it's good at capturing. I want a light well built camera to carry around everywhere. My phone camera is starting to show its limits.

XE1 is a system. x100/s is a self contain solution for people who don't have space for a system. If you travel alot (in bad places) like Evilore than x100s is better for you. They don't compete with each other. So if you are crossshopping x100 and xe1 that tells me you don't know what you want. You should cross shop x100/s with the Ricoh GR.

If you are not sure than go with XE1 since its more beginner friendly.

As far as the difference between X100 and X100s. They have slightly different color palettes so see them yourself on flickr. The s is also alot faster.

What camera gears do you currently have now?

(._.)

Banned
XE1 is a system. x100/s is a self contain solution for people who don't have space for a system. If you travel alot (in bad places) like Evilore than x100s is better for you. They don't compete with each other. So if you are crossshopping x100 and xe1 that tells me you don't know what you want. You should cross shop x100/s with the Ricoh GR.

If you are not sure than go with XE1 since its more beginner friendly.

As far as the difference between X100 and X100s. They have slightly different color palettes so see them yourself on flickr. The s is also alot faster.

What camera gears do you currently have now?

Well, I want a small camera that is fast, small/discreet and offers the ability to capture moments in both dark and light at a normal range in stellar quality. I met a guy at a studio a friend works at that let me play around with his x100s for about 20 minutes. It felt perfect for street photography, landscapes, candid stuff, and photographs of people. I'm willing to sacrifice some of the features the x100s offers in exchange for the XE1 system if this camera can be used in fairly similar fashion however. I would be using the 35mm nikon lens and I like that there is a 60mm macro lens and possibly more options in the future. Thing is I have not tried it out so I'm wondering how it would function the way I'm wanting it to.

I currently have a d5100, 35mm dx lens, and a SB-400 flash for what I usually shoot (listed above).

tino

Banned
Fuji just droped the price of XE1+18-55/2.8-4 to $1100. x100s is around the same price. However you get more camera with the XE1 kit than the X100s.

If street photography is your thing, only you can decide if a smaller package of the x100s is worth the extra money.

Check out this Strobist x100s review.

Your investment in Nikon is not too deep, you can sell your Nikon gears to fund the fuji. Keep in mind the XE1 is not going to AF as fast as the SLR.

(._.)

Banned
Fuji just droped the price of XE1+18-55/2.8-4 to $1100. x100s is around the same price. However you get more camera with the XE1 kit than the X100s.

If street photography is your thing, only you can decide if a smaller package of the x100s is worth the extra money.

Check out this Strobist x100s review.

Your investment in Nikon is not too deep, you can sell your Nikon gears to fund the fuji. Keep in mind the XE1 is not going to AF as fast as the SLR.

Yup, that's my plan. I think I'm going to just get a x100s.

It's totally out of stock everywhere though and wont be in for another month it looks like. Guessing it's best to just backorder from amazon?

Is it safe buying a high demand camera that's supposedly new/unopened off ebay? Seems shady and I'm wondering if it's covered by fuji's warranty.

Anybody have experience with stuff like this?

tino

Banned
Yup, that's my plan. I think I'm going to just get a x100s.

It's totally out of stock everywhere though and wont be in for another month it looks like. Guessing it's best to just backorder from amazon?

Is it safe buying a high demand camera that's supposedly new/unopened off ebay? Seems shady and I'm wondering if it's covered by fuji's warranty.

Anybody have experience with stuff like this?

If Fuji is not stocking the X100s, maybe the rumor is true. Supposedly a new NEX-5 class smaller Fuji body with debut the 27mm pancake.

(._.)

Banned
If Fuji is not stocking the X100s, maybe the rumor is true. Supposedly a new NEX-5 class smaller Fuji body with debut the 27mm pancake.

The x100s seems to still be in high demand though. There are new factory sealed ones on ebay but they ship from like Hong Kong and Taiwan without a warranty. I don't get how a factory sealed product doesn't have an international warranty. All the ones with the standard international Fuji warranty are marked up by like $100+ msrp :\

tino

Banned
The x100s seems to still be in high demand though. There are new factory sealed ones on ebay but they ship from like Hong Kong and Taiwan without a warranty. I don't get how a factory sealed product doesn't have an international warranty. All the ones with the standard international Fuji warranty are marked up by like $100+ msrp :

I am pretty sure they all have Japanese warrenty. Japan is devaluing the yen right now so things purchased in the Japan are a lot cheaper than 1 year ago. I may pick up a grey market 35mm/1.4

(._.)

Banned
I am pretty sure they all have Japanese warrenty. Japan is devaluing the yen right now so things purchased in the Japan are a lot cheaper than 1 year ago. I may pick up a grey market 35mm/1.4

Does that mean I'm covered if I live in the states and my camera gets the rare aperture blade lock up?

phisheep

NeoGAF's Chief Barrister
Well, I just took delivery yesterday of my first two non-kit lenses (excepting the nifty 50 obviously). Got the Canon EF-S 10-22 and the Canon EF 100mm L macro, both secondhand from mpb photographic in the UK - who are every bit as good as they claim to be.

I'm bowled over by the sharpness and colour I'm getting out of both these lenses even without trying too hard (or even thinking too much - I've been able to spend only about a hour total so far). But wow. Just wow.

I take back every damn thing I said squillions of pages earlier about kit lenses being just fine. (Not really - they are just fine for starters, but not as fine as these things are).

Gosh.

Happy man.

Jzero

Well, I just took delivery yesterday of my first two non-kit lenses (excepting the nifty 50 obviously). Got the Canon EF-S 10-22 and the Canon EF 100mm L macro, both secondhand from mpb photographic in the UK - who are every bit as good as they claim to be.

I'm bowled over by the sharpness and colour I'm getting out of both these lenses even without trying too hard (or even thinking too much - I've been able to spend only about a hour total so far). But wow. Just wow.

I take back every damn thing I said squillions of pages earlier about kit lenses being just fine. (Not really - they are just fine for starters, but not as fine as these things are).

Gosh.

Happy man.

Do you consider the 50 kit lens quality?

phisheep

NeoGAF's Chief Barrister
Do you consider the 50 kit lens quality?

Oh, not at all. But I got the 50mm way back when, when I really had no idea what I was doing - and my photos were so befuzzled with all manner of other errors that I never really noticed the lens quality. It's only now getting these ones that it has leapt out at me.

RayStorm

Greetings, if you had a Nikon D5000 with 4 DX lenses (Tamron 10-24, Nikon 35mm 1.8, Nikon 18-55 Kit, Nikon 50-200 Kit), a small fetish for recording all kinds of data about where you took your pictures and had come to the conclusion that night time photography in narrow city streets around the world is what you like to do when you aren't shooting inside your house (or in other words wide angle at darkness without a tripod/without flash) and you had the chance (and money) to either buy a Nikon D600 or Canon 6D for virtually the same price... what would you choose?

And just for general purposes aside from wide angle-ling at night, what would be your preferred and most sensible lens choice?

AZ Greg

Looking for some last minute potential recommendations before I pull the trigger on a new camera...

I'm looking to buy a pocket sized camera with good image quality and manual controls that will allow me to learn some of the more advanced aspects of photography. I'm also looking to keep it under $200 and I want to buy new. After doing a lot of research it looks like the best bet is the Nikon P310:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Nikon---Coolpix-P310-16.1-Megapixel-Digital-Camera---Black/4883771.p?id=1218572407266&skuId=4883771

Only $160. Reviews seem to be mixed with the only negatives being a smallish sensor and inability to output RAW. Camera reviews are just tough for me since I don't know if they generally use their full scales, unlike videogame reviews, because all the comparisons, or "You should consider this...", are versus much more expensive cameras, like the Canon S100 or Olympus XZ-1.

Anyway, anyone with experience with this Nikon? Or any under $200 camera I'm missing that bests it with what I'm looking for? Thanks!

bob page

I just got a Nikon D3100 as my first DSLR and was looking for a camera insert pouch for my Filson briefcase. Any recommendations from people who throw them in their messenger bag, etc?

(._.)

Banned
Could I get a recommendation on a pocket light meter that isn't much above $100/$150? One that's good for metering in most situations where there is a decent amount of light. Also I'm shooting in black and white. The meter in the pentax I'm using no longer works.

DERF

Anyone make the switch to M43? I just picked up one of the GX1 steals for 199$ along with a 14mm and the 45mm. Debating on getting the 9-18 or 7-14.

Anyone make the switch to M43? I just picked up one of the GX1 steals for 199$ along with a 14mm and the 45mm. Debating on getting the 9-18 or 7-14.

Awesome deal! The 45/1.8 is almost my all time favourite glass. So sharp and small at the same time. I too think about the 9-18, but right now I'm leaning towards the Oly 12/2.0.

EDIT: Oh, you seem to have talked about the Pana 45/2.8. Don't know about that, but still a fantastic offer that you got.

Pagusas

Elden Member
only think holding me back from a 4/3 camera is I like to shoot as shallow as possible, I dont know if I could go from Full framed and Cropped sensors to a 4/3 and be happy with the results. Anyone able to do good portraits on them with some fast lenses?

Would anyone be interested in purchasing a 24-70 2.8 L Canon Lens? It's the first edition. I'm trying to decide if I want to let it go but Craigslist isn't really biting.

only think holding me back from a 4/3 camera is I like to shoot as shallow as possible, I dont know if I could go from Full framed and Cropped sensors to a 4/3 and be happy with the results. Anyone able to do good portraits on them with some fast lenses?

Yeah, I'm looking at the Nikon V1 and it's sensor can barely handle bokeh due to its size. The biggest issue for me is portability and access. I need a camera that's less bulky than my DSLR and more discrete for certain scenarios but also has a variety of lengths in lenses to try and capture a multitude of images. It's a give and take and price factors in too so...

I preferred the 9-18 because of the price, size, lack of weird aberrations on the OMD and the ability to use filters. The 7-14 is sharper, wider and faster, but also bigger and significantly more expensive.

It's tough to get full frame DOF, but most micro 4:3 lenses are better than their cropped counterparts and can be shot wide open without an appreciable loss of quality. The 25,45, and 75 are all tremendous for portraits and there's a Pany 45mm f/1.2 with IS(!) coming late this year. The area where micro 4/3 DOF struggles is the lack of fast telephotos. There's only really the overpriced Pany 35-100mm. However, I'm expecting Olympus to start filling that segment of the lens lineup out now that the larger OMD has been such a hit.

tino

Banned
Yeah, I'm looking at the Nikon V1 and it's sensor can barely handle bokeh due to its size. The biggest issue for me is portability and access. I need a camera that's less bulky than my DSLR and more discrete for certain scenarios but also has a variety of lengths in lenses to try and capture a multitude of images. It's a give and take and price factors in too so...

Whats your most use focal range?

I've wanted a nice digital SLR for a while, and finally have an excuse to buy one - a baby due in a few months.

I know my way around cameras generally, and am familiar with how SLR's work and photography in general. Trouble is I don't know dick about digital cameras.

What's a good resource for reviews and stuff? What are the top two or three consumer-level DSLR's to consider? I guess I'd be looking for something a step above a totally entry-level model, but not into crazy money territory.

I know my way around cameras generally, and am familiar with how SLR's work and photography in general. Trouble is I don't know dick about digital cameras.

What's a good resource for reviews and stuff? What are the top two or three consumer-level DSLR's to consider? I guess I'd be looking for something a step above a totally entry-level model, but not into crazy money territory.

Here's the good and bad news: They're all good, with little to distinguish between them. Go try them out a store and decide what feels the best in your hand and buy that one. Other than a lack of a manual-focus aid and that you can push the ISO a lot farther, you can shoot it like the film SLR you're used to (though the lower end models tend to remove things like depth-of-field preview and EV bracketing).

So a friend of mine is going to loan me his shelved G12 for quite awhile, so I'll see what it's like to use a smaller camera for now and figure out what I'd want from 4/3.

RuGalz

Guess Pentax is finally re-introducing entry-level DSLR. Too bad the body shape is looking more like Canikon.

But what other entry level give you 100% pentaprism viewfinder, IBIS and dual dials?!

titlepic.png

K-50 color choices...
K50_120colors.jpg

http://www.pentaxforums.com/news/new-pentax-cameras-lenses-june-2013.html

http://www.dpreview.com/articles/7885360476/first-impressions-of-the-pentax-k50-and-k500

And slightly larger sensor version of Q.
http://www.dpreview.com/news/2013/0...-over-1-point-seven-inch-12MP-BSI-CMOS-sensor

Magni

Guess Pentax is finally re-introducing entry-level DSLR. Too bad the body shape is looking more like Canikon.

But what other entry level give you 100% pentaprism viewfinder, IBIS and dual dials?!

http://www.pentaxforums.com/news/new-pentax-cameras-lenses-june-2013.html

http://www.dpreview.com/articles/7885360476/first-impressions-of-the-pentax-k50-and-k500

And slightly larger sensor version of Q.
http://www.dpreview.com/news/2013/0...-over-1-point-seven-inch-12MP-BSI-CMOS-sensor

I'm not in the market to replace my K-r just yet, but I hope they keep it up with all those color options, I'm tired of the boring old black.

edit: is there no way to get a custom body without the extra kit lens?

RuGalz

I'm not in the market to replace my K-r just yet, but I hope they keep it up with all those color options, I'm tired of the boring old black.

edit: is there no way to get a custom body without the extra kit lens?

They probably will keep the color options going since it's done pretty well for their marketing. I wish I could get color options for K-5, but it's for plastic body only... I am very tired of black. When I used to have a white K-x, random people would come and strike a conversation after seeing it, esp women. Now it's just good 'le boring black that no one cares, lol

Yea, it doesn't seem like you can get it body only with custom package... At least the lens is now WR I suppose...

Yea Sigma is really on a roll lately. Sample images look pretty good thus far.

Most of those images were also from prototype lenses so seeing the final product should be interesting.

On a side note, I went to a Jessops today and got my hands on some mirrorless camera options. I was leaning towards the EPL5 but the GX1 felt better in my hands. The ideal would be a he x100s or OM-D but it's just too much for a new system. What are some people's opinions on the EPL5 vs GX1?

RuGalz

Most of those images were also from prototype lenses so seeing the final product should be interesting.

On a side note, I went to a Jessops today and got my hands on some mirrorless camera options. I was leaning towards the EPL5 but the GX1 felt better in my hands. The ideal would be a he x100s or OM-D but it's just too much for a new system. What are some people's opinions on the EPL5 vs GX1?

GX2 is rumor to come out soon-ish. You might as well wait for that at least. If anything, GX1 price would drop.

GX2 is rumor to come out soon-ish. You might as well wait for that at least. If anything, GX1 price would drop.

I've now gone crazy and am considering the x100s. When I started on DSLR's 3 years ago, I opted for entry level and in that time have upgraded cameras four times and gone through a variety of lenses. I feel like laying out the extra cash for x100s is the best option and just be happy with my first purchase. That also means maybe considering the OM-D but I like the portability of the x100s and also not have to worry about lenses as my DSLR has that covered. After looking at so many options today (D-Lux, x100, LX7, etc.) it's amazing the endless possibilities. blergh

tino

Banned
I've now gone crazy and am considering the x100s. When I started on DSLR's 3 years ago, I opted for entry level and in that time have upgraded cameras four times and gone through a variety of lenses. I feel like laying out the extra cash for x100s is the best option and just be happy with my first purchase. That also means maybe considering the OM-D but I like the portability of the x100s and also not have to worry about lenses as my DSLR has that covered. After looking at so many options today (D-Lux, x100, LX7, etc.) it's amazing the endless possibilities. blergh

You have a slr system already? Just get the smallest camera. x100S or Ricoh GR.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom