• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Camera Equipment Megathread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Damaged

Any recommendations for film processing services? Bought a cheap rangefinder a while back just to mess around with and finally finished a roll (Ilford Delta 3200)... they're mostly casual snaps but I still want to send it to someone who knows what they're doing...

Whereabouts in the world are you?

Ok, so here's the showdown. Both are Canon...

50mm 1.8 II vs. 40mm 2.8 Pancake

Things to consider....

- Using a full frame camera
- Cycling is primary form of transportation. Will ride with camera often.
- Street photography and portraits

50mm
+ dat 1.8
+ night
+ more room to work with
- plastic
- not as wide

40mm
+ tiny. makes for a smaller camera.
+ wider
+ metal
- no 1.8

Basically, I'm asking myself, is 1.8 > size and build quality?

After doing some more research, seems like the pancake lens takes sharper photos. So I guess my decision has been made.

mrkgoo

Ok, so here's the showdown. Both are Canon...

50mm 1.8 II vs. 40mm 2.8 Pancake

Things to consider....

- Using a full frame camera
- Cycling is primary form of transportation. Will ride with camera often.
- Street photography and portraits

50mm
+ dat 1.8
+ night
+ more room to work with
- plastic
- not as wide

40mm
+ tiny. makes for a smaller camera.
+ wider
+ metal
- no 1.8

Basically, I'm asking myself, is 1.8 > size and build quality?

After doing some more research, seems like the pancake lens takes sharper photos. So I guess my decision has been made.

I have both, and while the 50 mm is awesome for a beginner, you generally want to stop down anyway - it's not so great at f1.8.

Not to mention its build quality is pretty bad. The AF motor is kind if clunky.

I actually prefer the 40mm f2.8. It's also closer focussing too.

That said I also have the 50 mmf/1.4.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
So I pulled the trigger on the 700d + sigma 18-250, along with a YONGNUO YN-560 II flash. So much cheaper than a canon flash (manual only) so I can start to learn manual off camera flash without breaking the bank.

Should I get an umbrella (not that expensive) or just bounce off walls etc for a while as I learn?

Canon 85mm 1.8 and 70-200f4 will probably be my next lenses once I've saved up again.

I have both, and while the 50 mm is awesome for a beginner, you generally want to stop down anyway - it's not so great at f1.8.

Not to mention its build quality is pretty bad. The AF motor is kind if clunky.

I actually prefer the 40mm f2.8. It's also closer focussing too.

I fully endorse this post.

I had the 50 1.8 and ended up dropping it @ Disney World. I replaced it with the 40mm due to size, AF speed and build quality. Very happy with it.

Flo_Evans

So I pulled the trigger on the 700d + sigma 18-250, along with a YONGNUO YN-560 II flash. So much cheaper than a canon flash (manual only) so I can start to learn manual off camera flash without breaking the bank.

Should I get an umbrella (not that expensive) or just bounce off walls etc for a while as I learn?

Canon 85mm 1.8 and 70-200f4 will probably be my next lenses once I've saved up again.

Get an umbrella and a stand. Bouncing is a good trick but walls are not always where you want them. Plus a flash through an umbrella has way different characteristics than a wall bounce.

I would get one that has a reflective cover too so you can use it reversed.

Groof

Quick q, would a different brand EVF work on a NEX camera? A buddy told me that I should skip the official one and get something cheaper and I've been looking at a few, but I get a bit paranoid.

Also, I'm sorry for all the stupid questions I keep asking in here, but I've nowhere else to turn! :(

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Get an umbrella and a stand. Bouncing is a good trick but walls are not always where you want them. Plus a flash through an umbrella has way different characteristics than a wall bounce.

I would get one that has a reflective cover too so you can use it reversed.

I have some credit from selling my old camera so will probably use that for an umbrella and stand (with removable cover), and a upgrade to Lightroom 5

JORMBO

Darkness no more

You can get an umbrella for $20-30 so it wouldn't hurt to pick one up. Depending on the situation both methods can be useful. I'm not a huge fan of bouncing light into walls/ceilings, but some places it works best.

Giard

My girlfriend wants to buy a new camera. She's hesitating between the Canon 70D that will be released in September, or the Sony A77. She had a Nikon before, but didn't like the interface and sold it.

She has already owned a Sony once and liked it. What would GAF suggest?

diaspora

My girlfriend wants to buy a new camera. She's hesitating between the Canon 70D that will be released in September, or the Sony A77. She had a Nikon before, but didn't like the interface and sold it.

Just picked up a 700d, but if she wants something faster go for the 70d but just know that in terms of iq, it should be the same.

SiRatul

If her last sony wasn't a SLT then I would be a bit more careful. There are some distinct differences between an SLR and SLT. So for good advice one would have to know what kind of stuff she shoots.

RuGalz

LBA strikes again... Fry's has Pentax 50-200mm weather sealed lens for 99, got extra 10 dollars discount for taking the display model, which is basically brand new without boxes. It was too hard to pass up. Came home, did some chart tests, it seems like a very good copy. Now my light, consumer grade, weather sealed travel kit is complete.

If her problem was the interface... Wait and try the cameras out in the store and then decide. There's no point rushing.

This may seem odd to ask, but are there any issues I should know about if I decide to buy a camera in the States to use here in the UK? Will there be any compatibility issues?

This may seem odd to ask, but are there any issues I should know about if I decide to buy a camera in the States to use here in the UK? Will there be any compatibility issues?

European light is incompatible with American cameras. Sux.

Depending on the manufacturer and product, your camera might not be able to get warranty repairs. That's probably the main thing. Make sure your battery charger is able to work with European outlets. That's about it.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Good budget tripod and head? Around £100-150 max for both. Don't know about £:$ so assume $150 max budget if you're recommending from the US

I think canon has worldwide warranty, not sure about other manufacturers.

mrkgoo

Good budget tripod and head? Around £100-150 max for both. Don't know about £:$ so assume $150 max budget if you're recommending from the US

I think canon has worldwide warranty, not sure about other manufacturers.

Both canon camera bodies I have purchased (canon) from US, the warranty card says US and Canada only.

Not sure if this is enforced or not, but I was once told that bodies are international warranty. Wait maybe that was lenses. Maybe that was just Asia pacific.

Edit: quick google suggests it's lenses that have the international warranty.

(._.)

Banned
Rented the Nikon 85 1.4D and the new 70-200 f/4.

Hot damn. Can't decide which I want more. Leaning towards the 1.4, cause 1.4.

The f/4 is fantastic though. Really surprised at how well the VR works. I was getting acceptable results at very low shutter speeds (on static objects OFC). Really sharp, really fast and solid focus.

200mm f/4 1/160 handheld:

The 1.4 however is something special. Somewhat difficult to use, it will often trick the meter and focus system. Everything needs to click for it to work properly, but when it does... oh my.

vs. the newer G version I can't see much difference. I think the focus might hit a little more on target due to the AFS motor. For roughly half the price and a aperture ring for video/film though I think I will go with old version.

Bonus: Short video of my kids shot with D600 + 85 1.4D

I want an 85mm 1.4 so badly

may get the manual focus one for my f2.

I'm selling my AF-S 50mm 1.4

Got a 50mm 1.2 coming in the mail. Love how sharp it is stopped at 2.8 and how it melts backgrounds. The extra stop should also be good at night for where I'm shooting.

Flo_Evans

I want an 85mm 1.4 so badly

may get the manual focus one for my f2.

I'm selling my AF-S 50mm 1.4

Got a 50mm 1.2 coming in the mail. Love how sharp it is stopped at 2.8 and how it melts backgrounds. The extra stop should also be good at night for where I'm shooting.

Well I ended up buying the 70-200 f/4.

Last minute job of taking a clients pic throwing out the 1st pitch at the cards game. Kind of need a tele-zoom. I was busy though so I had to send someone else >_<

50 1.2 should be sick. I've only tried the canon one but it was allot of fun. I need to buy one of those too. I have the 50 1.4 in AI, AF-D, and AF-S... I could probably get rid of 1 or 2 of them.

Metalmarc

Any advice for a noob? For a Budget is around £200
Compact camera please

If not any brands i should avoid alltogether? Are olympus any good?

Alright so, yay or nay?

Got a 28mm 2.8 and a 50mm 1.4 that I'd like to keep using, but over all reviews seem to be all over the place. Was just wondering if anyone here had any experience with them.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Alright so, yay or nay?

Got a 28mm 2.8 and a 50mm 1.4 that I'd like to keep using, but over all reviews seem to be all over the place. Was just wondering if anyone here had any experience with them.

With what camera? I had a decent experience with my NEX, but I don't think I found any adapters for m4/3

SaitoH

Pulled the trigger:

n08RdeRl.jpg

I usually buy used lenses, but I couldn't resist this one. Will be taking lots of shots this weekend.

diaspora

I'm thinking about returning the 700D and grabbing a 28mm f/1.8 usm lens instead. So far I haven't seen much (read: any) difference in IQ in low light between the 350 and 700D other than MP count. $900 (after tax) is a bit steep... Is there a general consensus on the 28mm

Flo_Evans

Pulled the trigger:

n08RdeRl.jpg

I usually buy used lenses, but I couldn't resist this one. Will be taking lots of shots this weekend.

review plz.

I was heavily considering it but I don't use my D7000 as much anymore. Pretty much reserved to buying full frame lenses that I can use on all my cameras. And I already have the 17-35 2.8

Damaged

Okay, have decided to finally start processing my black and white negatives myself and I think I have worked out everything I need for both 35 mm and 120 mm negatives

I'm looking at the Paterson film processing kit for my main kit (tank, reels, measuring jugs, negative clips etc..). From what I have read this should be able to handle both my 35mm and 120mm negatives.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B005MOJHBC/

To get me started on chemicals I'm looking at this set on eBay:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/121038910075?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

I know its the powder developer so I'll need to get some storage bottles for the dev as well but it seemed a good deal for all I'd need to get going.

I'm kind of unsure what to get with regards to a changing bag, is it worth spending the extra cash for the small pop up tents Calumet do? I've not have any experience with 120mm in a dark bag so I'm unsure exactly how much room I'll need.

The main thing I'm unsure about is the scanner Ill need, from what I have seen the Epson Perfection V500 seems like a decent buy at the price (I'm doing this on a budget so cant really afford more than that), but I would really recommend any input from you all.

Edit: this is the scanner http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B000VYYSEE/

I have developed B+W film in college but that was 10 years ago and my knowledge is a little rusty. Oh I'm in the UK as well so ideally UK based suggestions would be cool

Let me know how you like the 24 on the d800. I always found it kind of dull, it is cheap but I never really noticed any prime wow factor vs my wide zooms. Seemed redundant.

I like it pretty well. It's not that exciting of a lens, but it gets the job done. At that point I needed a solid lens for some work stuff that was wider than my 35-70 2.8d (thats a WONDERFUL lens btw), and I am still transitioning to a full FF lens lineup.

I am thinking of grabbing the Tokina 16-28 later on, but ill probably hold onto the 24 for a light walk-around lens.

East Lake

That's a good choice for your scanner. When you scan I'd stick with 1600 dpi or lower setting. The scanner itself won't resolve any more detail at 3200 or 6400, which is normal for flatbeds.

Changing bags can be pretty handy. You won't need any more room for 120 than 35.

Damaged

That's a good choice for your scanner. When you scan I'd stick with 1600 dpi or lower setting. The scanner itself won't resolve any more detail at 3200 or 6400, which is normal for flatbeds.

Changing bags can be pretty handy. You won't need any more room for 120 than 35.

Cool, thanks for the input! :)

Archpath1

looking for a 35mm film camera any leads or recommendations, used or new, need a matching lens to go with too, would help me out

need one for my photography course :)

(._.)

Banned
If you're shooting a rock show in low light like what lens would you guys shoot with if you're next to the pit? No zooms please. 85mm and maybe something super wide to get a few shots of the crowd? Maybe a 24 mm?

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Why no zooms? You going to have a known and fixed shooting position? A zoom may give you the flexibility you need.

Something like the 24-70 2.8 and then high ISO if needed. (Assuming no flash)

Otherwise 50mm 1.4 or possibly 85mm 1.8 (1.2 is too slow to focus)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom