• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Camera Equipment Megathread

Status
Not open for further replies.

RayStorm

Is there any particular reason why I've got the feeling that my Nikon D600 has a much harder time finding focus in low light than my D5000? Granted I started to notice when using the Nikkor 85mm F1,8G and have not done any real testing, but I feel like even with lenses I have used on both bodies the D600 is worse at focusing. Can that really be the case or is my mind playing tricks on me?

What? Sounds goofy.

You wanted a recommendation; here's the good news: every DSLR is good; now here's the bad news: every DSLR is good.

Given that presumably you'd like to enjoy your new camera and use it a lot, the only really good way to decide between all of the ones you can possibly buy is to hold them in your hand and fuck around with all the strange controls and see what feels good and what feels awkward.

hiroshawn

Banned
You wanted a recommendation; here's the good news: every DSLR is good; now here's the bad news: every DSLR is good.

Given that presumably you'd like to enjoy your new camera and use it a lot, the only really good way to decide between all of the ones you can possibly buy is to hold them in your hand and fuck around with all the strange controls and see what feels good and what feels awkward.

Oh OK. I understand.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
does the combination of canon 85mm 1.8 and 50mm 1.8 sound good? The 85mm I really like when I had it before (a few years ago now), and I want to experiment with some flash work indoors.

I'm thinking that while the 85mm is nice and sharp wide open, it might be a big long indoors (especially for full length stuff). And if I'm using flash I can stop the 50mm down so its nice and sharp.

mrkgoo

does the combination of canon 85mm 1.8 and 50mm 1.8 sound good? The 85mm I really like when I had it before (a few years ago now), and I want to experiment with some flash work indoors.

I'm thinking that while the 85mm is nice and sharp wide open, it might be a big long indoors (especially for full length stuff). And if I'm using flash I can stop the 50mm down so its nice and sharp.

I guess only you can decide this.

I had an 85 and loved it while I had it. And I have a range of 50s. These days though I'd prefer probably either of those and something wider, particularly for indoors.

Rocking a 22mm f/2.0 on my eos M! A nice sort of slightly wide- normal lens for indoors is good. Had lots of practice with this focal length with y cellphone!

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I guess only you can decide this.

I had an 85 and loved it while I had it. And I have a range of 50s. These days though I'd prefer probably either of those and something wider, particularly for indoors.

Rocking a 22mm f/2.0 on my eos M! A nice sort of slightly wide- normal lens for indoors is good. Had lots of practice with this focal length with y cellphone!

I was just a little wary of something wider on a crop camera. Would a sigma 30mm 1.4 be ok for full length shots? As long as you avoid close up head shots it shouldn't distort too much?

phisheep

NeoGAF's Chief Barrister
Any recommendations for a beginners (first) Dslr?

There's a bit more to it than that ...

First thing to realise is that you're not so much buying a camera as buying into a lens system. Camera bodies lose value far faster than lenses do and your lenses will likely outlast any camera body you get. So you will get more bang for your buck going cheapskate on the body to start with - I'd suggest buying used (from a reputable source) as there are bargains to be had and you will lose less if you don't take to it. Look around for (say) Nikon 3100, Canon T2i, maybe the Canon Rebel XS.

Main thing in picking a lens system is how easily you can come by lenses to buy/borrow/rent - a few of my friends swear by Pentax but for me the ready secondhand market points to Nikon or Canon. If you have friends or family who are keen photographers, then get what make they have got - that way they will stay friends (some of the brand rivalry gets a bit toxic on occasions) and lend you stuff like lenses and advice.

It's still important to do what CrudeDiatribe said and try the camera out in your hands - the smaller Canon bodies aren't all that great for people with big hands for example. Not so as to go overboard with being able to reach all the buttons (chances are you will not need to use more than 25% of them) but for general comfort and feel. Again, for example, the midrange Canons (yes I shoot Canon) don't, for me, handle right or hang around the neck right unless you bung a battery grip on the bottom, which I did.

So. Pick your lens system first (if there's anything to influence it, if not, toss a coin between Nikon and Canon). Then go try out some camera bodies and see what's available used. Buy something cheap and reliable and don't go megapixel-happy - anything more than 10 is probably OK for starters.

As for starter lenses, I'd be tempted to go for two: get a decent superzoom like the Tamron 18-270 with image stabilisation and also a basic 50mm f/1.8 prime (only about £100/$100).

That way you get to experiment with a big range of focal lengths without the hassle of changing lenses, you get to appreciate the difference between having and not having image stabilisation and the difference in image quality(+) and technique required(-) with a non-stabilised prime lens.

Don't get too tempted by deals with kit lenses (however many they offer). If you take off you'll find you outgrow them fast and they have little used value.

(p.s. of course, this isn't what I did myself - it's what I should have done!)

RuGalz

(p.s. of course, this isn't what I did myself - it's what I should have done!)

All around great advice. But I think there are more to consider.

Often there are so many beginners got into believing that they *need* FF, they *need* this and that lens, they *need* this and that feature. In the end they end up not knowing what to do with any of that feature and missing out on other features that could be more useful. I have been to outdoor photography workshops where beginners carrying 5DM3 with fast FF lenses and then complain that it's so much work walking around with those gears. I asked them why they picked those gears and their answer was 'that's what my friends told me to buy".

Personally I think just get something reasonably priced with good enough features and that includes kit lenses. Many people don't even grow out of kit lenses. And some people might decide different system is better afterward.

I'd focus on practicality at personal level instead of taking everything in from friends who shoot one system as the go to advice because some of them tend to suggest what they would like to have instead of what is really practical to you. I almost did that like two of my friends who bought into Canon system, but I'm glad I picked Pentax because IBIS and affordable WR are important features to me. And in the end that saved me money in long run.

(._.)

Banned
Is there any particular reason why I've got the feeling that my Nikon D600 has a much harder time finding focus in low light than my D5000? Granted I started to notice when using the Nikkor 85mm F1,8G and have not done any real testing, but I feel like even with lenses I have used on both bodies the D600 is worse at focusing. Can that really be the case or is my mind playing tricks on me?

That's odd. Anybody able to weigh in on this? I'm about to buy a D600.

Pentax makes great entry-level DSLR's. I liked that my K-r came with a built in intervalometer. Also, my aunt had old lenses that fit it so good stuff.

Though, I would go other brands for more Pro stuff.

Pentax is cheap and a lot of lenses fit, so it's a good buy for a beginner and a novice.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Wow, 700d (T5i?) has a really small and dark viewfinder. Maybe I was spoiled by the EVF in my G3. Would a 60D be significantly better or would I need to step up to a 7D (which I can't justify)?

(._.)

Banned
My x100s dropped about two and 1/2 feet from a table onto carpet. When I turn it on all I get is a black display screen. It makes the same sound when I turn it on. Wont take any photos, do anything and it wont turn off. Have to take the battery out to power it down. Piece of fucking shit, two and 1/2 feet onto carpet. Didn't even land on the lens or anything and even if it did I have a protector there.... What gives? What do you you think is wrong with it?

tino

Banned
My x100s dropped about two and 1/2 feet from a table onto carpet. When I turn it on all I get is a black display screen. It makes the same sound when I turn it on. Wont take any photos, do anything and it wont turn off. Have to take the battery out to power it down. Piece of fucking shit, two and 1/2 feet onto carpet. Didn't even land on the lens or anything and even if it did I have a protector there.... What gives? What do you you think is wrong with it?

Probably something got stuck inside...you might have to send it in for warranty service. Sorry dude. Similar thing happened to my DP1...I sold the body for 90 bux.

(._.)

Banned
Probably something got stuck inside...you might have to send it in for warranty service. Sorry dude. Similar thing happened to my DP1...I sold the body for 90 bux.

Sounds like it. Not covered here. Have to send it to the people I bought on ebay and they will then send it to Fuji there. Just have to pay shipping I believe.

RuGalz

Ouch that's really bad luck. I've dropped my previous camera a couple times on concrete from about 4-5 feet without any issue.

tino

Banned
So Sony is finally making some constant f4 respectable lens for NEX, and re-releasing the silver soda cans in black too. Did Sony change the camera dept's boss or something?

I wonder how much would that 16-70/4 cost with the blue badge on it.

Forsete

So Sony is finally making some constant f4 respectable lens for NEX, and re-releasing the silver soda cans in black too. Did Sony change the camera dept's boss or something?

Finally. And a new Zeiss?

I havent been keeping up to date much, but what is in the pipeline from Sigma/Tamron?

Groof

Speaking of NEX lenses, I've been looking at these three specifically:
Sony SEL35F18 E 35mm f/1.8
Sony High Zoom 55-210mm
Sigma 30mm f/2.8 DN (mainly due to cost)

Would any of these be a viable near-future purchase as a step up (or addition, in the zoom lens's case) from the stock 18-55 prime?

tino

Banned
Speaking of NEX lenses, I've been looking at these three specifically:
Sony SEL35F18 E 35mm f/1.8
Sony High Zoom 55-210mm
Sigma 30mm f/2.8 DN (mainly due to cost)

Would any of these be a viable near-future purchase as a step up (or addition, in the zoom lens's case) from the stock 18-55 prime?

Sell the 1855 and get the 16-70/4 or 18-105/4 depends on your budget.

Speaking of NEX gears, I dumped my entire collection of NEX stuff on ebay recently. I was surprised that I could get $160+ out of that 16mm toy lens. The black version of 1855 however, I couldn't get rip of it for over 100. The Sigma 19 I was able to sell it easily with a profit.

Groof

Sell the 1855 and get the 16-70/4 or 18-105/4 depends on your budget.

Speaking of NEX gears, I dumped my entire collection of NEX stuff on ebay recently. I was surprised that I could get $160+ out of that 16mm toy lens. The black version of 1855 however, I couldn't get rip of it for over 100. The Sigma 19 I was able to sell it easily with a profit.

Any guesstimates on how much the 16-70/4 lens will retail for?
And that 18-105 one would require an adapter, would it not? Assuming I found the right one, that is.
The reason for looking at these specific lenses were that they were fairly cheap, seemed well reviewed and are E-mounts so no extra hassle (read: expenses) would be involved

joshschw

I just happened to see the thread today and figured I'd throw this out there. I have a Canon 1Dmk3 I am trying to sell right now. asking only $950, PM me if you're interested for the details. Hope this is not against the rules - let me know if it is and I'll remove!

tino

Banned
Any guesstimates on how much the 16-70/4 lens will retail for?
And that 18-105 one would require an adapter, would it not? Assuming I found the right one, that is.
The reason for looking at these specific lenses were that they were fairly cheap, seemed well reviewed and are E-mounts so no extra hassle (read: expenses) would be involved

Both are new native NEX lens.
http://photorumors.com/2013/08/23/sony-nex-5t-camera-new-e-mount-lenses-leaked/

The Zeiss zoom got to cost 900+ and 18-105/4 G lens.... maybe 600-700?

Groof

RayStorm

Calling all D600 users!

My D600 AF works very well, though I don't have that particular lens.

You don't happen to be able to compare it to another Nikon DSLR?

My very unscientific tests right now at darkness give me the impression that my D5000 indeed is able to focus in slightly lower light and also quicker to find focus than my D600. Tried both with the same lenses (Nikkor 85mm F1.8G, Nikkor DX 55-200 F4-5.6, Tamron SP 70-300 F4-5.6, Nikkor DX 35mm F1.8).

I wonder if what I note is due to
a) the difference between full frame and crop sensor?
b) my testing methology being flawed (hand held, I tried both, either from the same camera position or trying to fit the same field of view).
c) my D600 being set up poorly.

I'm quite frankly a bit flabbergasted by that. If anyone has any input, please share.

I bought a third party LP-E8 battery pack for my T3i from eBay. It said it was compatible but it doesn't seem to work. The pack is 7.4v 1500mAH, whereas the original battery pack is 7.2V 1120mAH.

Is it incompatible? Why isn't it working?

Hey guys, I'm looking for a wide angle lens for my Rebel T3i and I'm in the price range of around $1000 or under.
If you guys have any better suggestions please give me your input.

I don't know the Canon glass, but I really can recommend the Tokina 11-16 2.8. The best is of course to rent or try them if you have the opportunity. It's always a matter of taste in the end.

phisheep

NeoGAF's Chief Barrister
Hey guys, I'm looking for a wide angle lens for my Rebel T3i and I'm in the price range of around $1000 or under.

I'm looking at a couple of lenses but I'm having trouble choosing which one is best.

Of the two you mention, you'll find that on a crop body like the T3i, the 17-40mm probably doesn't go wide enough.

After a lot of poking around the alternatives I went for the EFS 10-22mm and am more than happy with it.

mrklaw

MrArseFace

I'm looking at a couple of lenses but I'm having trouble choosing which one is best.
Canon EF 17-40mm f/4L USM
Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM

What do you want it for? Your definition of wide angle might be enough for the 17-40 (although in that case I'd consider the 17-55 2.8IS)

mrkgoo

What do you want it for? Your definition of wide angle might be enough for the 17-40 (although in that case I'd consider the 17-55 2.8IS)
I have both the 17-40l and the 17-55 IS.

17-55 is undoubtedly the more versatile lens (wider aperture, larger zoom range, IS), but I sue my 17-40 more because it's lighter, and of better build (outside).

It really depends on what you want to use it for most. I know you want features and value out of lenses, but unless you are super focused in knowing what you want and need, it can be easy to buy on potential as opposed to actual use.

Not staying either way, it really depends on the individual.

In other news, I'm loving the EOS-M. The best feature is the touch screen. Quick controls, and quick focus point selection make up for the slightly slow focus for general shots.

It's just so small and portable. Love it.

Flo_Evans

Calling all D600 users!

You don't happen to be able to compare it to another Nikon DSLR?

My very unscientific tests right now at darkness give me the impression that my D5000 indeed is able to focus in slightly lower light and also quicker to find focus than my D600. Tried both with the same lenses (Nikkor 85mm F1.8G, Nikkor DX 55-200 F4-5.6, Tamron SP 70-300 F4-5.6, Nikkor DX 35mm F1.8).

I wonder if what I note is due to
a) the difference between full frame and crop sensor?
b) my testing methology being flawed (hand held, I tried both, either from the same camera position or trying to fit the same field of view).
c) my D600 being set up poorly.

I'm quite frankly a bit flabbergasted by that. If anyone has any input, please share.

I have a D600 and a D7000, the D600 has slightly better AF than the D7000. According to nikon specs they are all -1 EV.

I would guess though that since the D5000 only has 11 AF points the sensors themselves are slightly larger?

tino

Banned
Both are new native NEX lens.
http://photorumors.com/2013/08/23/sony-nex-5t-camera-new-e-mount-lenses-leaked/

The Zeiss zoom got to cost 900+ and 18-105/4 G lens.... maybe 600-700?

So the prices are out.

1k for the Zeiss zoom, 600 for the 18-105/4. I am surprised how close I was.

Also the fake SLR A3000, only 400 with the kit lens. Thats really cheap for a camera with EVF. I wonder what corners are Sony cutting.

Also Olympus has shown its 12-40mm, quite a style departure from their other gears. Some how it looks very fitting with the EM1. I am afraid Olympus will charge 1200-1400 for this lens.

Somebody is going to do a lens compare between the Sony 16-50/4, Fuji 18-55/2.8-4, Olympus 12-40/2.8 and Panasonic 12-35/2.8 and its gong to be epic.

Zyzyxxz

Also Olympus has shown its 12-40mm, quite a style departure from their other gears. Some how it looks very fitting with the EM1. I am afraid Olympus will charge 1200-1400 for this lens.
c.

Actually the price is supposedly going to be 90,000 Yen or around $900 USD which is pretty reasonable.

mrkgoo

I was just a little wary of something wider on a crop camera. Would a sigma 30mm 1.4 be ok for full length shots? As long as you avoid close up head shots it shouldn't distort too much?

I rarely use 30 mm lenses, but at a guess, I imagine it's the same old answer " it depends". As in it depends on how much space you have. What's a full length shot? Like a full body shot?

I've never concerned myself with perspective distortion, but again, it really depends if that's an issue for what you're shooting.

Groof

So the prices are out.

1k for the Zeiss zoom, 600 for the 18-105/4. I am surprised how close I was.

Sounds great, will start saving up for the 18-105/4 lens effective immediately.

Also the NFC feature seems so great on the NEX-5T. Oh well.

By the way, there's no way to get my EU 5R to shoot videos in 60fps, is there?

Radec

dat Zeiss 16-70..

38kv.jpg

ISO800 F4 1/1250

kofs.jpg

ISO100 F4 1/200

RuGalz

Also the fake SLR A3000, only 400 with the kit lens. Thats really cheap for a camera with EVF. I wonder what corners are Sony cutting.

Probably using old processor, small buffers, plus it has low res lcd and evf, It's interesting to see Oly and Sony going at it from two end points in terms of price. I guess time will tell if it's going to work for the "bigger is better" crowd in the West. (I doubt it.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom