• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Camera Equipment Megathread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forsete

Thinking of making a photo book for my sister, but I am not sure about the quality of the prints.
Are they like regular book prints, or more like developed photographs?

ICA (swedish food store) offers them, they apparently use Fuji to do the development/printing.

Flo_Evans

How heavy a camera can you carry and how much is the kit?

He said he is about $500 in from scratch (controller, motors, radios, frame) it can carry about 1lb. I think he said? Go-Pro is no problem but a DSLR might be too much. It runs on a custom arduino board, currently he just has GPS on it, supposed to be able to set waypoints and a flight path for it to follow but we didn't get that working all that well.

Here is the frame and motors he bought: http://www.rc-drones.com/dji-330-ARF-kit.php

not sure where he got the flight controller and radios from.

We are still messing with the control board getting the flight and stuff smoothed out before attaching expensive cameras to it.

Test video we did today: https://vimeo.com/74144513 lol

tino

Banned
He said he is about $500 in from scratch (controller, motors, radios, frame) it can carry about 1lb. I think he said? Go-Pro is no problem but a DSLR might be too much. It runs on a custom arduino board, currently he just has GPS on it, supposed to be able to set waypoints and a flight path for it to follow but we didn't get that working all that well.

Here is the frame and motors he bought: http://www.rc-drones.com/dji-330-ARF-kit.php

not sure where he got the flight controller and radios from.

We are still messing with the control board getting the flight and stuff smoothed out before attaching expensive cameras to it.

Test video we did today: https://vimeo.com/74144513 lol

Thanks.

Yes DSLR is too heavy. But if it actually carry 1lb the lightest wide angle solution is probably and EOS M + 11-22mm. Too bad there is no hack for the new EOS M firmware yet.

Flo_Evans

EOS M would do the trick, but I don't have one. My friend has a Nikon J1 that I might be able to convince him to mount on it.

I actually weighed the d90 + kit lens and I think it would work but the d90 has shit video.

tino

Banned
There is another option of cheap NEX body + 16mm+ ECU1. My wife won't let ne get a quadcopter so I am living my dream vicariously through your brother.

RoKKeR

New gear is in!

VYu.jpg

After 4 years of using the high school's cameras, I finally have my own gear. Very excited! Camera is a Canon 60D, lens is a Sigma 17-70 f/2.8-4 DC Macro per recommendation of my former teacher.

Any suggestions on other things I need to pick up? I'm ordering a Tiffen UV filter and just a Canon 2400 gear bag as well.

New gear is in!

After 4 years of using the high school's cameras, I finally have my own gear. Very excited! Camera is a Canon 60D, lens is a Sigma 17-70 f/2.8-4 DC Macro per recommendation of my former teacher.

Any suggestions on other things I need to pick up? I'm ordering a Tiffen UV filter and just a Canon 2400 gear bag as well.

Accross the chest strap, its amazing how much I take my camera out now that it doesnt murder my neck, get whatever you can afford from blackrapid or carry speed.

Ecto311

Looking to get an NEX 5r - amazon has stopped listing them but has one on their warehouse deals site for a decent price. Has anyone got camera stuff form the warehouse side of it? It is about $100 cheaper to go that route right now and the price difference isn't a big deal if the camera could potentially be shit.

Also found it on adorama but dont know anything about the company. BHphotovideo also has it for a price I am happy with but again dont know shit about them.

Thanks for any info on a good route to get this camera.

tino

Banned
B&H and Adorama are two biggest camera stores. The NEX5R will be on sale from now to around jan/feb until all stock are gone.

Last Sep NEX5n was on sale for exactly the same price.

Ecto311

Been digging around and still having a hard time finding this camera at the price I found earlier in the week. Also considering the Nikon D3100 - anyone have a comparison or preference? Both seem to do really well for the price range and the only difference I found from comparing them was the size and flip out screen.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Accross the chest strap, its amazing how much I take my camera out now that it doesnt murder my neck, get whatever you can afford from blackrapid or carry speed.

Haven't tried a chest strap, but I like a hand strap (use a canon E2). If I'm walking around and expect to be shooting regularly, it's easy to just leave it hanging from my hand,held in place by my fingers.

What will you be shooting? Outdoors, indoors, candid, posed, people, sports etc? Tbh if you've been using school gear you should have an idea of what you find useful in terms of equipment.

I recently bought a cheap home lighting setup. It's something I've wanted to do for a while but never got round to it. Just a light stand, umbrella, cheap yongnuo flash and radio triggers. Surprisingly affordable. Currently reading through stobist 101

JDeluis

New gear is in!

I have the last generation of that lens. I have it on my camera 90% time. Great choice.

I recommend looking for different camera strap. I use a Joby Ultrafit Sling Strap. Goes around your chest and can be easily removed when you don't want it.

As for the camera bag, it's a good start but I can guarantee that you will never find the perfect one. I have two backpacks and one messenger bag. I'm also looking buying another one. LOL.

Fonz72

Hey photoGAF, just got my first "real" camera a Panasonic DMC-G5KK from Amazon for $359. Did I do OK?

Heading to the Dominican Republic for vacation and I'm tired of cell phone pictures. I have zero experience with photography, last camera I bought was a point and shoot 4MP Olympus in 2005.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
It's a nice camera. I had a G3 for a while and really enjoyed it - compact but flexible to learn with. I did eventually switch back to a canon DSLR mainly because I wasn't happy with the micro 4/3 range of lenses, but for a first camera it will easily last you years.

tino

Banned
Hey photoGAF, just got my first "real" camera a Panasonic DMC-G5KK from Amazon for $359. Did I do OK?

Heading to the Dominican Republic for vacation and I'm tired of cell phone pictures. I have zero experience with photography, last camera I bought was a point and shoot 4MP Olympus in 2005.

If you want a good lens in the m4/3 system with good size/weight/reach compromise check out the new Panasonic 14-140mm.

Groof

Hey guys, my gf is looking for a cheap and fairly good DSLR/compact camera at around €250. Any suggestions? She was looking at the Nikon J1/J2, how are those if one can get one for cheaps?

Also, how much can you sell a Samsung PL150 for these days?

Thanks!

Ecto311

Hey guys, my gf is looking for a cheap and fairly good DSLR/compact camera at around €250. Any suggestions? She was looking at the Nikon J1/J2, how are those if one can get one for cheaps?

Also, how much can you sell a Samsung PL150 for these days?

Thanks!

I had the j2 from amazon. I really liked it as far as what it did. I just swapped it for a canon EOS M and the NEX-3n from amazon but still liked the j2 more. The video is really crisp and fast as hell focus on that cam for both video and pictures. It is only 10mp but I came from a D40 and it was the same if not better pictures from a very small camera. Here is a sample picture that I dont think I could have gotten from the D40.

iWH2tqml.jpg

TNgwg60l.jpg

Now I am a moron when it comes to camera settings but it was so easy to get these shots and never had anything like this from the D40. I was really impressed that her face was in focus and sharp but the light sticks had the blur to them. i think I was using flash for this with the night setting not sure.

AlteredBeast

Fork 'em, Sparky!
Yeah, your flash was definitely delayed due to a night + flash setting (or a slow flash setting, as in Olympus cameras). You could have done it with a D40, but obviously newer cameras do things better.

I have a Canon D600 (T3i) and am in need of two things:

-an excellent macro lens with great image quality. (on the cheap!)
- a good telephoto (something sharp even at maximum length)

Not looking to spend a boatload on either, but I want good IQ

phisheep

NeoGAF's Chief Barrister

For macro, I have the canon 100mm L macro. That's not cheap but it is good. There seems to be a ready used market for the non-L (not stabilised, which won't matter if you are on a tripod) version. I've also had excellent results doing macro on the cheap with just the 50mm f/1.8 on a stack of Kenco extension tubes - that's a good placeto start without spending too much.

You're a bit vague on the telephoto, I guess you're after a telephoto zoom. Hard to advise without knowing how long you want to go, but I've had good times with the EF-S 55-250 which is a sane starting place except it tends to make you greedy for focal length and put you off the otherwise excellent stuff around in the 70-200 range. Can you clarify your needs at all?

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I'd recommend the canon 70-300 IS. Liked mine a lot when I had it, shot some nice motor sports - focuses fast and is nice and sharp. Although the 50mm 1.8 is famous as the 'nifty fifty', the 70-300 is sometimes referred to as the 'nifty 300'. Not as catchy, but it mans it is one of the hidden gems of the canon lineup

I found it difficult to go away from that without spending a ton of money. I bought a 70-200 f4L IS which was fantastically sharp but sometimes not long enough, so then I bought a 100-400L IS which was perfect for longer stuff but heavy and slow for other things.

For macro, canon 60mm 2.8 - works well as a portrait lens too and is very sharp. Great for static macro, but you don't get much working distance, so if you want to shoot anything like insects you might want something longer like the canon 100mm macro (non-L)

Groof

I had the j2 from amazon. I really liked it as far as what it did. I just swapped it for a canon EOS M and the NEX-3n from amazon but still liked the j2 more. The video is really crisp and fast as hell focus on that cam for both video and pictures. It is only 10mp but I came from a D40 and it was the same if not better pictures from a very small camera. Here is a sample picture that I dont think I could have gotten from the D40.

iWH2tqml.jpg

TNgwg60l.jpg

Now I am a moron when it comes to camera settings but it was so easy to get these shots and never had anything like this from the D40. I was really impressed that her face was in focus and sharp but the light sticks had the blur to them. i think I was using flash for this with the night setting not sure.
Thanks for the insight mate. How do you think it would stack up against the J1? She says she can get that one for real cheap.

The micro 4/3 system is also great at putting together a budget lens kit that will serve most needs. If you're looking o stay as cheap possible buy the 14mm pancake off a reseller on EBay for $160, the sigma 30mm f/2.8 at $200 for a long normal walk around lens and get the panasonic or Olympus 40-150mm for $150-200. Assuming you got te kit lens you'll have a lens kit that covers 28-300mm with some flexibility on size and some super sharp primes when you need them.

If you're going mid or high end I'd give a different set of recommendations. For example, you could put all your money in one of the fantastic fast primes: 20mm for $350, 25mm for $560, or the 45mm for $399.

Pagusas

Elden Member

iWH2tqml.jpg

TNgwg60l.jpg

Do you have the original files uploaded somewhere? Take a look in the meta data and see what setting the camera was operating at, then you can reproduce those with other cameras if you like.

RuGalz

Yeah, your flash was definitely delayed due to a night + flash setting (or a slow flash setting, as in Olympus cameras). You could have done it with a D40, but obviously newer cameras do things better.

Raynox DCR-250 is a pretty good alternative esp if you already have a decently sharp lens.

Flynn77

So, my Dads after a Bridge Camera, something light to carry as he's not really interested in a multi lense solution. I know my DSLR's but not much about these current crop of halfway house cameras, has anyone any experience of them? He's currently looking at a Nikon P520 so that gives you an idea of budget. Many thanks for the help!

tino

Banned
Do you have the original files uploaded somewhere? Take a look in the meta data and see what setting the camera was operating at, then you can reproduce those with other cameras if you like.

It's probably very weak flash (to freeze the portrait) and long exposure (like 1/10-1/2s) in very dark scene. These photos show Nikon 1's focus streight in very low light.

Although I wouldn't recommend Nikon 1 to anyone unless its a blow down 2 lens deal. Nikon may drop this system soon.

Zyzyxxz

lol @ dpreview exploding with their E-M1 preview.

It's just an E-M5 update and people are getting insecure or bitter.

Well its the 4/3rds option that many die-hard Olympus fans were waiting for since they will autofocus with their old 4/3rds lenses.

Also the new sensor seems pretty good.

Magni

I use that lens a ton on my K-r, great choice for a first lens. Enjoy!

tino

Banned
lol @ dpreview exploding with their E-M1 preview.

It's just an E-M5 update and people are getting insecure or bitter.

Holy shit at the Pentax argument broke out in the preview comments.

This camera touches some old wounds. M43 haters and 4/3 glass holders coming out of woodwork.

You got to give Olympus credit for coming out with a high end body after all the financial troubles. Still, I hate how Transformer this body look.

Holy shit at the Pentax argument broke out in the preview comments.

This camera touches some old wounds. M43 haters and 4/3 glass holders coming out of woodwork.

You got to give Olympus credit for coming out with a high end body after all the financial troubles. Still, I hate how Transformer this body look.

It definitely has retro look but maybe too retro and not stylized like Fuji's offerings. I little too blocky really.

tino

Banned
It definitely has retro look but maybe too retro and not stylized like Fuji's offerings. I little too blocky really.

I wouldn't call EM1's style retro at all. You need to have a shutter dial to be remotely retro. It doesn't look like any old camera, except maybe the F4.

Zyzyxxz

I need to find a place in Los Angeles to play around with a GX7 so I can see if I want it to be my next body.

Getting tired of the Pany GF2 and its limitations, in terms of IQ it was a major downstep from my Nikon D90 but I love the portability of the form factor and I think I shall stick with M4/3rds for now.

Flo_Evans

Flo, how is that 20mm 2.8 AI-S working for you?

I really like it. Although I might sell it on for a 35mm 1.4 ai when my 17-35 gets fixed.

It really shines on the d600 but oddly I ran a roll of fuji 400H through my film camera and got kinda meh results. Could of been an off day or really bad 1 hour photo processing IDK.

(._.)

Banned
I really like it. Although I might sell it on for a 35mm 1.4 ai when my 17-35 gets fixed.

It really shines on the d600 but oddly I ran a roll of fuji 400H through my film camera and got kinda meh results. Could of been an off day or really bad 1 hour photo processing IDK.

I'm getting a 35mm 1.4 pre ai, ai or ai-s.

Is there any difference in the optics or anything? I wont be metering with the lens. I have a Gossen.

Flo_Evans

I'm getting a 35mm 1.4 pre ai, ai or ai-s.

Is there any difference in the optics or anything? I wont be metering with the lens. I have a Gossen.

Not sure. I usually go with ai-s as those are the newest versions and are generally better. Sometimes the ai version will have slightly more accurate but slower focusing, I haven't researched that lens to know if there are any differences. I do know the older versions have a slightly different barrel, but it may just be cosmetic.

I generally avoid pre-ai unless they are converted, even then I don't think the anti-reflective coating was as good (or maybe it has all worn off) on those lenses.

(._.)

Banned
Not sure. I usually go with ai-s as those are the newest versions and are generally better. Sometimes the ai version will have slightly more accurate but slower focusing, I haven't researched that lens to know if there are any differences. I do know the older versions have a slightly different barrel, but it may just be cosmetic.

I generally avoid pre-ai unless they are converted, even then I don't think the anti-reflective coating was as good (or maybe it has all worn off) on those lenses.

Good point here. I'll probably go with a used 35mm 1.4 ai-s off ebay. I've gotten good deals and clean glass off ebay when it comes to old manual lenses.

Flo_Evans

Good point here. I'll probably go with a used 35mm 1.4 ai-s off ebay. I've gotten good deals and clean glass off ebay when it comes to old manual lenses.

I like to read this site http://www.mir.com.my/rb/photography/companies/nikon/nikkoresources/35mmnikkor/index.htm when researching old nikon glass. The navigation is early geocities and the writing style makes me think the owners first language is not english but lots of good historical info.

look at this gem:

Do you think there is any interest in a discussion of the use of Thorium glass in Nikkor lenses? Nikon used Thorium glass in the early 35mm f/1.4 to attain higher refraction figures. This was a very common design option in the 1960s and very early 1970s (when the 35mm f/1.4 lens was designed). Evidence of this can be obtained either through the use of a Geiger counter to actually read the radioactivity emitted from the lens or by observing the yellowing of the glass from the aging of the element(s) that contain Thorium. The early versions of the 35mm f/1.4 Nikkor are now over 30 years old and as such they will appear yellow when you view a white piece of paper through them. Should you shoot color slides with such a lens you will get a definite yellow cast to the pictures. They say that the yellow can be bleached out over time by leaving the glass uncovered in bright sunlight for many weeks. (I cannot personally attest to that method). Maybe this could be integrated somewhere on the page that discusses the 35mm f/1.4 Nikkor lens. The current AIS version doesn't employ Thorium glass. Dan Lindsay Santa Barbara

The 1st version is radioactive! wtf...

I also like Ken Rockwell's site for lens info. He is a colossal troll with most of his articles but he has a lot of specs and good lens info. He points out the AI-s 35mm 1.4 has 9 aperture blades vs the older one with 7.

So yeah. AI-s version!

Aurongel

I'm looking for a decent compact camera that would be able to fit inside of a travel bag. I'm trying to convince myself to jump on a lower end Sony NEX-3 but I'm worried the added bulk of a 16mm lens or an 18-55mm will defeat the compactness of it.

RoKKeR

Looking for a 72mm UV filter - any brand suggestions? It's a Sigma lens, if that matters.

Also, what's the consensus on Battery Grips?

(._.)

Banned
I
I also like Ken Rockwell's site for lens info. He is a colossal troll with most of his articles but he has a lot of specs and good lens info. He points out the AI-s 35mm 1.4 has 9 aperture blades vs the older one with 7.

So yeah. AI-s version!
Thanks for sharing. I currently read a lot of ken's stuff. Some of the stuff he says is a little crazy though and I feel like he doesn't approach all his reviews from an artist perspective which is how I shoot.

Looking for a 72mm UV filter - any brand suggestions? It's a Sigma lens, if that matters.

Also, what's the consensus on Battery Grips?

Third party battery grips are fine if you want to save some money and if you really want to get a UV filter ( I don't suggest it) go B+W. They are made of brass and have the best coatings.

Laekon

I'm looking for a decent compact camera that would be able to fit inside of a travel bag. I'm trying to convince myself to jump on a lower end Sony NEX-3 but I'm worried the added bulk of a 16mm lens or an 18-55mm will defeat the compactness of it.
There are good quality point and shoots to look at. Canon G series, Fuji X20, and Panasonic LX7 are all really good cameras. I had and really liked the LX7 but it got stolen out of a checked bag. In looking for a replacement I still think its the best combination of price, size, and photo quality.

Thanks. Why do you suggest against a UV filter?

I'm just in the camp that thinks it's superfluous. Sensors have all the protection you need from UV rays as a design included and putting another layer of glass in front of your well-engineered lens doesn't seem worthwhile. Though now-a-days, if you get a really high quality filter, ie expensive, the coatings are really good and the glass won't really affect your image quality. I generally rely on my lens hood to protect the lens as well so I don't use them for protection either. Really, you could go either way. Soe photographers use them and some don't, so it's really up to you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom