• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Camera Equipment Megathread

Status
Not open for further replies.

milkham

Although I purchased the EOS M from tino a while back I still haven't even received it yet. My Uncle isn't visiting until Wednesday!

I am very excited though, going to order some kind of pouch and couple extra batteries.

I am shooting a music video tomorrow with my 60d so that'll be cool! May post a photo of it all rigged up.

i dunno if he'll ship overseas but i got this grip for my M and it's great.
http://www.kleptography.com/rf/#camera_eosm

DagsJT

We currently have a Panasonic Lumix G10 but we don't use it as much as we'd like due to the size. I keep reading about the Sony Nex series being pretty good despite being quite small, is there anything better than those but without spending a fortune? Dpreview.com also suggests the Samsung NX1100 if anyone has any experience with those?

We like taking the odd photo when we go out on day trips etc so not enthusiasts as such but I do like taking photos when we're out and about so not after a super budget camera but not after a £1000 camera either.

Not sure if all cameras shoot in RAW but that option would be good as I like to edit in Lightroom.

Any suggestions?

tino

Banned
We currently have a Panasonic Lumix G10 but we don't use it as much as we'd like due to the size. I keep reading about the Sony Nex series being pretty good despite being quite small, is there anything better than those but without spending a fortune? Dpreview.com also suggests the Samsung NX1100 if anyone has any experience with those?

We like taking the odd photo when we go out on day trips etc so not enthusiasts as such but I do like taking photos when we're out and about so not after a super budget camera but not after a £1000 camera either.

Not sure if all cameras shoot in RAW but that option would be good as I like to edit in Lightroom.

Any suggestions?

Whats your budget and what lens do you plan to buy?

NEX lens line up is very spotty. Why don't you just get a smaller Panasonic body?

DagsJT

Whats your budget and what lens do you plan to buy?

NEX lens line up is very spotty. Why don't you just get a smaller Panasonic body?

Budget is maybe £200-£300. Not sure on lens, still very much a beginner and still have the stock lens on my G10.

Actually, just got my G10 out and took off the stock 14-42 lens and it's still a LITTLE bigger than I'd like but maybe if I use a pancake lens, it'll be much better. Might go that route and get the 20mm f/1.7 lens or the f/2.5 as it's a fair bit cheaper ...

tino

Banned
Budget is maybe £200-£300. Not sure on lens, still very much a beginner and still have the stock lens on my G10.

Actually, just got my G10 out and took off the stock 14-42 lens and it's still a LITTLE bigger than I'd like but maybe if I use a pancake lens, it'll be much better. Might go that route and get the 20mm f/1.7 lens or the f/2.5 as it's a fair bit cheaper ...

Panasonic GM1, Olympus EP2

yeah it might be a stretch for your budget, but i'd get the GM1 if you're otherwise happy with panasonic. it's unbelievably small, and the only NEX lenses worth using are big to the point where the difference between the G10 won't be much.

DagsJT

yeah it might be a stretch for your budget, but i'd get the GM1 if you're otherwise happy with panasonic. it's unbelievably small, and the only NEX lenses worth using are big to the point where the difference between the G10 won't be much.

Way too expensive unfortunately but that camera does look great.

hitsugi

Just nailed the Sigma 30mm 2.8 for my Nex-3N for $88. Really didn't expect the guy to take my offer on ebay but they did! Anything I should be on the lookout for when I receive the lens?

cbox

Just nailed the Sigma 30mm 2.8 for my Nex-3N for $88. Really didn't expect the guy to take my offer on ebay but they did! Anything I should be on the lookout for when I receive the lens?

If it's used, then dust inside the lens, mechanical defects like sandy sounding bearings, etc.

Groof

The original model. I actually prefer the focus ring on it, and for that price I couldn't refuse. I had been eying that lens for quite some time

Would love to hear some impressions! I've been seeing a bunch used pop up lately, but been too hesitant and missed them. Might just pull the trigger next time I see one, though.

hitsugi

Would love to hear some impressions! I've been seeing a bunch used pop up lately, but been too hesitant and missed them. Might just pull the trigger next time I see one, though.

I think if you can nail one for $100-ish it's worth it regardless. In the event you aren't pleased or when you're ready to move on - you won't really lose anything. I'll post some impressions when I get it, although I would strongly suggest reading prior reviews by actual, experienced photographers as I am an extreme amateur who just likes to take pictures

Donos

Don't wonder if the lens rattles a bit when the camera is off. It doesn't rattle when it's on. Has to do with the kind of (focus) mechanism they use, which is loose when powered off.

tino

Banned
Those new mirrorless lenses rokinon have announced are pretty cool

I think it was a 8mm, 10mm, 12mm are the new ones

I look into these lens. The 12mm/2.0 seem to be a very sensible lens. It's only $400 new. It competes very well againsit the Fuji 14mm/2.8 and the Zeiss 12mm/2.8 on the low end and destroy whatever meager option Sony have. Although if its my money I probably would still get a Voigtlander 15mm/4.5 since its much smaller and lighter.

The 8mm is a fisheye, the 10mm/2.8 is a huge and expensive lens. Samyang should make more $400 lens. Oh and, make up their minds and decide on a single brand name jesus christ.

DagsJT

Right, I've decided to go for either an RX100 or LX7, but reading and watching so much and both seem great. Both have advantages over the other with the RX100 maybe edging the LX7 but it's £100 more expensive.

RX100 has "better" image quality, bigger sensor, more pixels, smaller and automatic lens cover.

LX7 is a bit bigger and has a manual lens cover which seems to annoy people, but is cheaper and seems to do bokeh better than the RX100.

I don't get paid until 15th April anyway so plenty of time for more research.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Hey all,

I kind of want to get a camera (DSLR or ?) this year. I'm not huge into photography but I have been using my Dad's old Cannon DSLR for a year or so now, so I know the basics. What would be the best camera to get for around $500? I do photography as a hobby, and take it on trips and stuff.

Thanks!

tino

Banned
Hey all,

I kind of want to get a camera (DSLR or ?) this year. I'm not huge into photography but I have been using my Dad's old Cannon DSLR for a year or so now, so I know the basics. What would be the best camera to get for around $500? I do photography as a hobby, and take it on trips and stuff.

Thanks!
If you ask 2 days ago, I would recommend the Fuji XM1 plus kit lens deal for 499.

Radec

Right, I've decided to go for either an RX100 or LX7, but reading and watching so much and both seem great. Both have advantages over the other with the RX100 maybe edging the LX7 but it's £100 more expensive.

RX100 has "better" image quality, bigger sensor, more pixels, smaller and automatic lens cover.

LX7 is a bit bigger and has a manual lens cover which seems to annoy people, but is cheaper and seems to do bokeh better than the RX100.

Dude, don't get the LX7.

thenexus6

I look into these lens. The 12mm/2.0 seem to be a very sensible lens. It's only $400 new. It competes very well againsit the Fuji 14mm/2.8 and the Zeiss 12mm/2.8 on the low end and destroy whatever meager option Sony have. Although if its my money I probably would still get a Voigtlander 15mm/4.5 since its much smaller and lighter.

The 8mm is a fisheye, the 10mm/2.8 is a huge and expensive lens. Samyang should make more $400 lens. Oh and, make up their minds and decide on a single brand name jesus christ.

12mm was one I was most interested in, yeah that whole name thing is confusing and strange

Not really, a little is nice enough. Just looking at the X20 and it looks a fair bit bigger than the RX100 though, not sure it's a pocket camera in that sense...

If you don't need zoom and are considering a Fuji alternative I would just save up a bit more and go for the x100. You can a pretty good deal on used ones now and often they are in great shape because owners baby them mostly. I like the feature set of the x20 but really save a couple hundred more and get the x100 especially if zoom isn't an issue.

Lumix

Some thoughts on the matter.

I cannot speak as much for the LX7, but I do have the LX5.
The main differences between are the MOS sensor instead of CCD, larger pixel screen, burst rate, aperture ring, larger aperture range (f/1.4-2.3), and built-in ND filter.
If you are worried about the provided lens cap, you can get a Ricoh GXR-like, automatic lens cap for the LX7. This lens cap does make the LX7, a bit thicker from front to back.

I also picked up a RX100 for cheap ($349 US) after getting the Ricoh GR.

Both cameras have a solid feel, with no sign of creaks compared to some of the plastic bits of the GR (although it is a mostly magnesium alloy build).

The thickness of the RX100, along with the GR, both fit nicely in a coat pocket. The LX7 would fit a bit tighter with the provided lens cap.
You would most likely be using a strap for the LX7.
If you plan on taking photos or video footage at a club event, or concert, the RX100 may be of better use.
It can pass as a compact point and shoot though security, while the LX7 looks almost as big as a smaller Micro 4/3 camera (well except the GM1).
The RX100 images at higher ISO ratings will be better as well.
The usable range would be for the LX7 would be at 100 base to 800 ISO max. 1600 ISO might be okay.

You have lot more to work with in the RX100's 20.2 MP for cropping. The LX7 is rated at 10 MP, but that is in the 4:3 aspect ratio. It will be 9.5 MP at a 3:2 aspect ratio.

Ergonomically speaking, I prefer the LX5. The size and grip are more comfortable even for one-handed use.
The RX100 is like a bar of soap, it is an absolute must to use the hand strap and get a stick-on grip.
A Richard Franiec, Sony AGR1, or Flipbac G2 grip would be recommended.

The external controls on the LX series are easier to access and configure with a dedicated exposure / focus lock, ISO, and timer buttons. Macro & manual focus is available as a switch on the front of the camera, and aspect ratio switch is right beside it.

The combination rear control wheel / pad of the RX100 has to configured from the start, otherwise you will waste your time menu-diving to get to access a function.
The Fn button similar to the LX5's Q. Menu button to access a customizable function menu such as white balance, ISO, flash sync, metering mode, and focus mode.
On the rear control wheel / pad, I have the center button set as exposure lock, left button as drive mode selection, and right button for flash mode.

I wish the power button was either recessed, or a switch not so close the shutter button. I have had few times when the RX100 would be accidentally powered on my in coat pocket.
I also hate that they placed the HDMI port right next to tripod mount.

One thing I like on the LX5 that I cannot find on the RX100 menu, is a “step-zoom” equivalent.
I can step zoom lengths to 24, 28, 35, 50, 70, & 90mm, like using a prime lens on a 35mm camera.

The flash can only be popped up through function selection on the RX100. The LX5 & LX7 has its own external switch. However, the flash can be pointed up to bounce the flash off a ceiling on the RX100. The flash only faces forward on the LX cameras.

The LX7 probably has a better set of optional accessories like the an OVF, EVF, several flashes and a screw-on adapter for a circular polarizer.
The RX100 has an optional adhesive-backed filter adapter to mount to the front of the lens.
You have to spring for a RX100 II to use an OVF, EVF, or flash unit.

DagsJT

Some thoughts on the matter.

I cannot speak as much for the LX7, but I do have the LX5.
The main differences between are the MOS sensor instead of CCD, larger pixel screen, burst rate, aperture ring, larger aperture range (f/1.4-2.3), and built-in ND filter.
If you are worried about the provided lens cap, you can get a Ricoh GXR-like, automatic lens cap for the LX7. This lens cap does make the the LX7, a bit thicker from front to back.

I also picked up a RX100 for cheap ($349 US) after getting the Ricoh GR.

Both cameras have a solid feel, with no sign of creaks compared to some of the plastic bits of the GR (although it is a mostly magnesium alloy build).

The thickness of the RX100, along with the GR, both fit nicely in a coat pocket. The LX7 would fit a bit tighter with the provided lens cap.
You would most likely be using a strap for the LX7.
If you plan on taking photos or video footage at a club event, or concert, the RX100 may be of better use.
It can pass as a compact point and shoot though security, while the LX7 looks almost as big as a smaller Micro 4/3 camera (well except the GM1).
The RX100 images at higher ISO ratings will be better as well.
The usable range would be for the LX7 would be at 100 base to 800 ISO max. 1600 ISO might be okay.

You have lot more to work with in the RX100's 20.2 MP for cropping. The LX7 is rated at 10 MP, but that is in the 4:3 aspect ratio. It will be 9.5 MP at a 3:2 aspect ratio.

Ergonomically speaking, I prefer the LX5. The size and grip are more comfortable even for one-handed use.
The RX100 is like a bar of soap, it is an absolute must to use the hand strap and get a stick-on grip.
A Richard Franiec, Sony AGR1, or Flipbac G2 grip would be recommended.

The external controls on the LX series are easier to access and configure with a dedicated exposure / focus lock, ISO, and timer buttons. Macro & manual focus is available as a switch on the front of the camera, and aspect ratio switch is right beside it.

The combination rear control wheel / pad of the RX100 has to configured from the start, otherwise you will waste your time menu-diving to get to access a function.
The Fn button similar to the LX5's Q. Menu button to access a customizable function menu such as white balance, ISO, flash sync, metering mode, and focus mode.
On the rear control wheel / pad, I have the center button set as exposure lock, left button as drive mode selection, and right button for flash mode.

I wish the power button was either recessed, or a switch not so close the shutter button. I have had few times when the RX100 would be accidentally powered on my in coat pocket.
I also hate that they placed the HDMI port right next to tripod mount.

One thing I like on the LX5 that I cannot find on the RX100 menu, is a “step-zoom” equivalent.
I can step zoom lengths to 24, 28, 35, 50, 70, & 90mm, like using a prime lens on a 35mm camera.

The flash can only be popped up through function selection on the RX100. The LX5 & LX7 has its own external switch. However, the flash can be pointed up to bounce the flash off a ceiling on the RX100. The flash only faces forward on the LX cameras.

The LX7 probably has a better set of optional accessories like the an OVF, EVF, several flashes and a screw-on adapter for a circular polarizer.
The RX100 has an optional adhesive-backed filter adapter to mount to the front of the lens.
You have to spring for a RX100 II to use an OVF, EVF, or flash unit.

Huge thanks for your comments, the RX100 is back in the mix now.

Lumix

No problem at all.
I really think you should go to a local camera shop, and test them both in person.

I like the convenience, size, fast autofocus, & image quality of the RX100.
But in my hands, to get the shot without fiddling with the menus & controls, I much prefer the LX5 or LX7.

I would probably ditch them both, if the GR had a zoom lens.

Donos

Yeah, i tried the RX 100 MKII from my mother and was really dissapointed about the handling of this thing. Pretty heavy and not really good to use with one hand. And I have big hands.

tino

Banned

IMO if you can find a used/refub RX100 around 400, its still best performance/price/size combo.

LX7 is kind of a downgrade from LX5 with a smaller sensor. Might as well get a LX5 for cheap or a LF1, which has a EVF.

Yeah X20 is kind of big. At that point you can get a XM1/XA1 with a 27mm pancake for the size of the X20..

Yeah, i tried the RX 100 MKII from my mother and was really dissapointed about the handling of this thing. Pretty heavy and not really good to use with one hand. And I have big hands.

If you have hotshoe you can get this
http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-Pieces-Th..._Camera_Straps_Hand_Grips&hash=item461d2871ea

tino

Banned
So Chinese Engadget posted their full a6000 review a couple of hours ago:
http://chinese.engadget.com/2014/03/28/sony-alpha-6000-review/

Anyone here who speaks Chinese and can summarize what they're saying? Google Translate is doing my head in.

First of all I wouldn't put too much stock in engedget option of a camera. Its not a camera blog.

Here is the conclusion in English:

"My personal opinion of the A6000 is that its a very versatile model, with the exception of missing advanced audio out option for video. This body can pretty much handle whatever subject matter of photography you want to shoot. With smart exposure and advanced control, it lowers the learning curve for the beginners. And to the advanced users, with the inclusion of USB contolled , standard hotshoe, it can also handle studio photograph. Not to mention the super fast AF system and 11 fps with proper AF and exposure, it can be used to take on the task of sports photography very well.

With all the spec, the list price is only 20000 plus (obviously the reviewer is quoting Taiwan price, not China price -tino) I have to believe the NEX7 model has been merged to the A6000 series of product line. It doesn't look like there is space to stuff another APSC model on top of A6000 considering AF spec. A word for people who are undecided on the lens selection. To be honest, after using the Zeiss 16-70mm in real world, it doesn't look like its all that sharp at wide open. So if its up to my recommendation, even though the 1650 PZ has heavy in-body distortion correction, its still great value for the money. I would recommend the1650 to go with this body as the kit lens. It offers good size and price compremise."

So there you have it. Sony in a nut shell.

Groof

First of all I wouldn't put too much stock in engedget option of a camera. Its not a camera blog.

Here is the conclusion in English:

"My personal opinion of the A6000 is that its a very versatile model, with the exception of missing advanced audio out option for video. This body can pretty much handle whatever subject matter of photography you want to shoot. With smart exposure and advanced control, it lowers the learning curve for the beginners. And to the advanced users, with the inclusion of USB contolled , standard hotshoe, it can also handle studio photograph. Not to mention the super fast AF system and 11 fps with proper AF and exposure, it can be used to take on the task of sports photography very well.

With all the spec, the list price is only 20000 plus (obviously the reviewer is quoting Taiwan price, not China price -tino) I have to believe the NEX7 model has been merged to the A6000 series of product line. It doesn't look like there is space to stuff another APSC model on top of A6000 considering AF spec. A word for people who are undecided on the lens selection. To be honest, after using the Zeiss 16-70mm in real world, it doesn't look like its all that sharp at wide open. So if its up to my recommendation, even though the 1650 PZ has heavy in-body distortion correction, its still great value for the money. I would recommend the1650 to go with this body as the kit lens. It offers good size and price compremise."

So there you have it. Sony in a nut shell.

Thanks!

Yeah I figured they wouldn't be the source to go to for camera stuff, but I figured just in case they said something worthwhile. Seems like they didn't.
Still excited for this camera, though.

So, has anyone used the Sigma 18-35mm f/1.8 DC HSM Art lens? I've been looking at it a lot recently, and the reviews seem universially positive, but I was curious if anyone on GAF had any experience with it

Forsete

Ugh, I hate scrolling through lots of images on Flickr. Its "fetching moar pics" hangs the browser for a few seconds, and if you happen to open up a image and then press the back button you are back on top of the page.

Any way to get the old HTML Flickr site back?

Are there any camera bags out that are decently rugged/stylish? One that I could bring on a plane and maybe fit a laptop as well?

How do people lug along tripods?

Are there any camera bags out that are decently rugged/stylish? One that I could bring on a plane and maybe fit a laptop as well?

I love my ThinkTank retrospective 30. You can get them in black or in smaller sizes, too. (5,10,20)
51HDM3KA8SL.jpg

I can also recommend the Vanguard Heralder series. You can get them in three sizes 28,33 and 38. The biggest one is really huge, though, so that I don't use it too often anymore.
41ifcpSttNL.jpg

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man

I always pack my tripod in my carry on or checked bag. I always take the head off and put it in my camera bag.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom