• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Camera Equipment Megathread

Status
Not open for further replies.

RuGalz

looks fine, lenses usually don't perform optimally on either end of the zoom and at f11 you probably are starting to see degradation on apsc. go shoot a flat brick wall at f8 and make sure you don't have front or back focus if you really want to analyze it. did you do any pp on it?

Donos

I'm new, but if anyone will let me borrow their brain for a second:

Sony Nex-5T for $500, or rx100m3 for around $700.

I thought the form factor of the rx100 made it nifty and it would still be useful even if I got a hulk of a camera later on. I probably would carry it around a bit more. NEX 5T might be comparable camera with a different form factor for cheaper, plus the option for lenses.

Depends if you ever plan to buy other lenses for the 5T or use adapters with old lenses. If not, rather get a RX100. 700 $ is also rather cheap for a (new) RX100 III.

Pepto

Banned
Nikon D90 with the Sigma 10-20mm/f3.5 @10mm, ISO 200, f11, 1/400s. I also have some examples with a Tamron 28-75mm/f2.8. Everything with ISO 200:

Could be sharper, right?

Can you take a sample shot in raw and post it?

Weird that the electricity pylon thingie is much sharper than the tree:

sharp.PNG

DBT85

Finally getting around to selling the Sigma 70mm Macro and Nikon 18-200mm VRII that I've been meaning to do for 6 weeks lol.

Depends if you ever plan to buy other lenses for the 5T or use adapters with old lenses. If not, rather get a RX100. 700 $ is also rather cheap for a (new) RX100 III.

I actually bumped up to looking at a6000 with the kit lens because they are a comparable price. They seem neck and neck, and I might favor the rx100 as a starter. An initial barrier for me might be making sure I have it on me. I have a playstation credit card that discounts it from full price, plus points.

hitsugi

I actually bumped up to looking at a6000 with the kit lens because they are a comparable price. They seem neck and neck, and I might favor the rx100 as a starter. An initial barrier for me might be making sure I have it on me. I have a playstation credit card that discounts it from full price, plus points.

This can't be bolded enough. When it comes to cameras, especially Sony ones... unless you have a lot of lenses you're willing to use with adapters, or upwards of $800-1k to spend on a couple of fast primes, I see almost no reason to get anything outside of the RX100 line or the RX10 if you were to go that far.

The RX100 line is probably the smallest, best bang for the buck right now.

nitewulf

Nikon D90 with the Sigma 10-20mm/f3.5 @10mm, ISO 200, f11, 1/400s. I also have some examples with a Tamron 28-75mm/f2.8. Everything with ISO 200:

http://abload.de/img/dsc_0543sbqpg.jpg (10mm, f11, 1/400s) 3MP-Version
http://abload.de/img/dsc_0584gyo5a.jpg (10mm, f10, 1/640s) 3MP-Version
http://abload.de/img/dsc_0596dwq7q.jpg (10mm, f11, 1/200s) 3MP-Version
http://abload.de/img/dsc_0597xfp1p.jpg (10mm, f11, 1/200s) 3MP-Version
http://abload.de/img/dsc_0580xpop5.jpg (10mm, f3.5, 1/3200s) 3MP-Version
http://abload.de/img/dsc_0591ssona.jpg (14mm, f3.5, 1/2000s) 3MP-Version
http://abload.de/img/dsc_0497a0o8v.jpg (28mm, f2.8, 1/320s) 3MP-Version
http://abload.de/img/dsc_0512rhoop.jpg (75mm, f2.8, 1/320s) 3MP-Version
http://abload.de/img/dsc_05142fqe4.jpg (75mm, f2.8, 1/160s) 3MP-Version
http://abload.de/img/dsc_05335xrtz.jpg (10mm, f5.6, 1/160s) 3MP-Version
http://abload.de/img/dsc_062014ruz.jpg (75mm, f2.8, 1/4000s) 3MP-Version
http://abload.de/img/dsc_0612cfq1c.jpg (28mm, f2.8, 1/4000s) 3MP-Version
http://abload.de/img/dsc_061451pjn.jpg (75mm, f2.8, 1/2000s) 3MP-Version

Could be sharper, right?

few things. the F stop is always at its best in the middle ranges. wide zoom lenses aren't the best at "sharpness", if shaprness is your priority you want wide "prime" lenses. thirdly, tree pictures with over head sun is basically THE WORST CONDITION for pictures ever. this condition brings out the worst in lenses.

Gavin Robertson

Neo Member
Hey photoGAF, hoping wise heads in here can help.

Up until recently, I had a lovely Sony NEX-F3 that served the purpose of all round family camera very well. Unfortunately, one of the little ones got hold of it and the camera went the way of the dodo. So now it's time to invest in a new camera.

I'm tempted to go for an entry level DSLR, but I'm unsure of whether it's too much camera for me? While I'm a complete novice, I take a lot of photos, especially of my perpetually in motion kids. During these scant summer months I'm shooting photos every few days, minimum. These are mostly shared online with family. We're not really print people, but I guess if I shot something really nice... I also like to shoot video of the kids, mostly for sharing with family via Youtube.

So, what should I be looking at? A point and shoot along the lines of the RX100 II? Or something altogether more complicated in the Nikon D3300? Something in between? I want something that's going to help me shoot the best possible pictures most of the time, otherwise I'd just use my phone and save the cash. Unfortunately those end up a blurry mess , especially when the kids are bouncing around at 100mph.

RuGalz

For your usage case, RX100 is probably more suitable. Fast moving subjects aren't easy no matter how good a camera is and an entry level DSLR isn't going to help you much there. If shooting your kids playing sports later on, a DSLR maybe great with proper techniques (but MILC is catching up to it).

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member

Up until recently, I had a lovely Sony NEX-F3 that served the purpose of all round family camera very well. Unfortunately, one of the little ones got hold of it and the camera went the way of the dodo. So now it's time to invest in a new camera.

I'm tempted to go for an entry level DSLR, but I'm unsure of whether it's too much camera for me? While I'm a complete novice, I take a lot of photos, especially of my perpetually in motion kids. During these scant summer months I'm shooting photos every few days, minimum. These are mostly shared online with family. We're not really print people, but I guess if I shot something really nice... I also like to shoot video of the kids, mostly for sharing with family via Youtube.

So, what should I be looking at? A point and shoot along the lines of the RX100 II? Or something altogether more complicated in the Nikon D3300? Something in between? I want something that's going to help me shoot the best possible pictures most of the time, otherwise I'd just use my phone and save the cash. Unfortunately those end up a blurry mess , especially when the kids are bouncing around at 100mph.

Most people use DSLRs with the kit lens, on auto mode, as a giant point and shoot. It's not too much camera for you, but personally as someone who isn't heavily invested in any lens ecosystem they feel like an archaic choice at this point.

You want the best camera in your price range that you will not be burdened by having with you when you want a camera with you. If you're only willing to do jeans pocket but want a significant step up from your phone, then the RX100 is your camera. Shoulder strap or satchel, then move on to a Fuji or Sony system camera with an APS-C sensor.

diaspora

Something pocket-able: RX100

Otherwise if you have a need for focus speed, the D3300.

Flo_Evans

Most people use DSLRs with the kit lens, on auto mode, as a giant point and shoot. It's not too much camera for you, but personally as someone who isn't heavily invested in any lens ecosystem they feel like an archaic choice at this point.

You want the best camera in your price range that you will not be burdened by having with you when you want a camera with you. If you're only willing to do jeans pocket but want a significant step up from your phone, then the RX100 is your camera. Shoulder strap or satchel, then move on to a Fuji or Sony system camera with an APS-C sensor.

Gotta disagree for small kids/toddlers. Suckers are fast and mirrorless AF tracking is not there yet. 105mm zoom equivalent is balls for shooting the soccer game.

Aurongel

I only used the a6000 briefly and it didn't seem to stand up evenly to a traditional DSLR using phase detect AF in terms of AF performance. Granted the technology will improve over time but I've heard the EVF gets crazy laggy in the dark. For most applications it's probably sufficient but I can't see myself ever using one to shoot a subject that rapidly jumps between different planes of focus.

diaspora

I only used the a6000 briefly and it didn't seem to stand up evenly to a traditional DSLR using phase detect AF in terms of AF performance. Granted the technology will improve over time but I've heard the EVF gets crazy laggy in the dark. For most applications it's probably sufficient but I can't see myself ever using one to shoot a subject that rapidly jumps between different planes of focus.

I think at this point it really comes down to which feels better in the hand and which feels better on the wallet.

RuGalz

EVF lags like crazy in the dark while lower end DSLR hunts like crazy in the dark; both are kind of problematic. For most of the people who are not interested in learning how to take advantage of a DSLR I find very little reason to encourage them to pick one up these days even though I personally prefer it. MILC is easier for a lot of people to grasp because it operates like a bigger P&S that potentially can take much better pictures. A lot of people seem to be confused by a camera that doesn't use a screen for framing these days.

what are some of the best plug ins for lightroom/photoshop if I'm looking to make my digital shots look more like film? both black and white and color?

I'm printing some photos. some of them are film and others are digital. I want them all to match my film shots.

TxdoHawk

what are some of the best plug ins for lightroom/photoshop if I'm looking to make my digital shots look more like film? both black and white and color?

I'm printing some photos. some of them are film and others are digital. I want them all to match my film shots.

I'm admittedly not an expert on this, but VSCO and Replichrome are the two big popular picks.

I have just really started getting in to tinkering with my photos, and I have started with Aperture (for better or for worse) and I am enjoying it so far.

Seeing as something similar has been asked, are there any presets for Aperture that people use that they particularly like / have found useful? Or can you point me in the direction of anywhere that has some decent presets to play with?

Thanks in advance!

Damaged

I tend to prefer doing it myself with tone curves but DX0 isnt too bad, I do have the DSLR guru film pack as well which is great but they seem to have disappeared from sale

Damaged

Doesn't DXO's filmpack only work on their own software?

Nope you can run it in lightroom the same way as you would Nik FX, Just right click on the image and select 'edit in' do the edit in the software close it then it drops you back into lightroom with the edit there

Love Silver Efex Pro for black & white.

Seeing as something similar has been asked, are there any presets for Aperture that people use that they particularly like / have found useful? Or can you point me in the direction of anywhere that has some decent presets to play with?

FYI, any tutorials that cover levels & curves work equally well in Aperture as in Photoshop or Lightroom.

It seems like you had to be part of the lawsuit

That's not my reading, but I think it is limited to Americans. Which I hope isn't true. EDIT: I think you're right; the email from the law firm quoted on Fred Miranda said those that didn't sign up in advance merely have Nikon's "updated repair and replacement programme" available.

DagsJT

Tried the Replichrome demo and I love it. The simplicity of it makes it so easy and great to use. I've found that I love the Vignette Print+ effect especially.

Gila

My friend is selling his 5D Mark II (Shutter Count 15864) for $1300 CAD and 24-70mm F/2.8 for $1000 CAD

Should I jump on it?

I'm in the market for a body and zoom

Flo_Evans

My friend is selling his 5D Mark II (Shutter Count 15864) for $1300 CAD and 24-70mm F/2.8 for $1000 CAD

Should I jump on it?

Seems a little high for friend prices... Its an 8 year old digital camera. Pretty low shutter count though.

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?

Should I jump on it?

You can hit that price pretty easily if you keep your eye out.

is there a decent telephoto zoom/prime lens for m4/3?

Price range, weather sealing, size: what are your priorities? The sigma primes are all small and cheap. The Oly 12,25,45,60 and 75 are all fantastic. The Panny 14,20,25 and 42.5 are all fantastic.

The Pany 12-35 f/2.8 and the Oly 12-40 f2.8 are both fantastic walk around lenses with weather sealing and great close focus.

The Oly 40-150 and Panny 45-150 are both cheap, light telephoto zooms that can be had on sale for less than $150 and 200, respectively, when on sale.

Unai

I don't intend to be a professional photographer or anything like that, I just wanted a better camera than the one in my cellphone to take pictures of my family, friends and whatnot. Today I bought the Canon SX50 online. The super zoom seemed like a very nice feature to a hobbyist and the device supposedly has good enough picture quality.

It will arrive friday or saturday. I hope I'll like it!

nitewulf

Price range, weather sealing, size: what are your priorities? The sigma primes are all small and cheap. The Oly 12,25,45,60 and 75 are all fantastic. The Panny 14,20,25 and 42.5 are all fantastic.

The Pany 12-35 f/2.8 and the Oly 12-40 f2.8 are both fantastic walk around lenses with weather sealing and great close focus.

The Oly 40-150 and Panny 45-150 are both cheap, light telephoto zooms that can be had on sale for less than $150 and 200, respectively, when on sale.

was only asking about tele...maybe 75mm + range. going to watch a football game in London, and was wondering what would be a decent moderately priced lens to take some shots. decided i just wanna enjoy the game rather than worry about taking pics.

TxdoHawk

Gently used (~300 shutter actuations) for about half the price of a new one. Thank you, Craigslist.

GZgaMgi.jpg

Time to start contributing to the photography threads again. :)

hitsugi

Gently used (~300 shutter actuations) for about half the price of a new one. Thank you, Craigslist.

GZgaMgi.jpg

Time to start contributing to the photography threads again. :)

That is pure luck D: I still see plenty of X100's (not x100s) go for $600, and haven't been able to get one at $500 or less. If I could pick up the x100s for that price I would in a heartbeat.

TxdoHawk

That is pure luck D: I still see plenty of X100's (not x100s) go for $600, and haven't been able to get one at $500 or less. If I could pick up the x100s for that price I would in a heartbeat.

Yeah, it was indeed pretty much 100% luck. The guy was about to move to Florida and was desperate to pawn off some stuff to fund his move.

God I totally love this 35 dollar 75-150mm Nikon Series-E lens. Funky and a ton of character, with plenty of sharpness if need be. Took some amazing shots with it at Joshua Tree yesterday.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member

As soon as Photokina hits the prices should drop substantially.

any good books or websites out there on making excellent scans of your negatives for print?

I've found little short ones and I kinda get how to bring photoshop into it and what settings to put them at to get them ready for print. need more guidance though and information so I know I'm doing it the most efficient and getting the most detail out of my scans.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom