• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Camera Equipment Megathread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aurongel

Just sold my 24-105 f4L, what a piece of junk that was. Zoom creep galore with the hood attached, distortion everywhere (on APSC), soft at longer lengths and less contrasty and sharp than my 85mm f1.8.

Glad I made some profit from selling it but man, what a disappointment. I want to love zoom lenses for their convenience and ease of use but every time I try one or an L lens I get reminded of why primes are amazing.

Has anyone experience with superzooms on MFT? There are the Pana 14-140 3.5-5.6, the Pana 14-140 4-5.8, the Olympus 14-150 and now the Tamron 14-140.
My wife prefers such a zoom for her holiday pics, because for a long time, she had a Olympus 18-180 for her old E-300 and really got used to it (which I don't understand completely, but whatever).

I read through some forum threads but the impressions wildly differ, which might be the result of production variations and personal taste.

Her focus is more towards the wide end so the optical quality there would be more important to us. Body is a Olympus PEN E-P3 with optical stabilisation built-in.

Any impressions?

Got a tripod today, it's a MeFoto Roadtrip, heard good things about it. It's surprisingly small and light when packed together:

tripod3mnj6y.jpg

tripod2zvknn.jpg

Let's see if I will ever use it.

Also got a Canon Selphy, just for fun. The quality is better than expected.

selphy2mgzne.jpg

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
My brother is in the market for a DSLR. I asked him for a budget, what he'll use it for, and any specifics. This is what he gave me to work with:

Brother said:
I am ok spending 4-550ish. If they come with a lense or two and aren't in shit condition. I'll be using it for everything, nothing specific. I do prefer the Nikon 5200-5300, probably 5200 for cheaper, but I just did research and they said for DSLR that the Nikon is the best quality you will get for the money. They said its worth the few extra dollars.

He is convinced Nikon is the best option, but rather than argue, I was hoping someone here could help provide me some thoughts and options for him.

East Lake

I think it's usually a good idea to go the cheaper route (used or on sale) for someone getting into photography. New camera prices drop quickly once the new version is out and the thing about starting out is you sorta don't know what you want in a camera. Only after you've learned how to operate one well can you really know, in which case if you've bought at a discount the later upgrade won't be too painful.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
I think it's usually a good idea to go the cheaper route (used or on sale) for someone getting into photography. New camera prices drop quickly once the new version is out and the thing about starting out is you sorta don't know what you want in a camera. Only after you've learned how to operate one well can you really know, in which case if you've bought at a discount the later upgrade won't be too painful.

This is what I'm trying to tell him. To be honest, I don't think he's going to notice the difference between a $1000 camera and a $300 camera at the point he's at...But I don't really have any good info to give him. Any suggestions on a lower priced DSLR that will allow him to learn and determine his interest route?

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Get that xm1 for 400 bucks over an entry level dslr, seriously. No compromises in picture quality at all and way smaller.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Get that xm1 for 400 bucks over an entry level dslr, seriously. No compromises in picture quality at all and way smaller.

I'll forward that link to him. I like the form factor better on it myself (looks a lot less bulky), and I can't imagine he'll enjoy carrying around a brick like those bigger DSLR cameras.

RuGalz

I couldn't resist and ordered a X-M1. Most likely will just use it as a light kit with adapter for my Pentax prime lenses. Zoom lenses are too big and unbalanced for these bodies anyway.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
I'm lugging around my a7 + zeiss 55mm f1.8 for this trip. It's a little heavier and conspicuous at times compared to my x100/x100s. And I still miss having a damned aperture ring. The phenomenal lens and full frame iq/dof justifies the whole endeavor at the moment though.

I doubt I can go back to apsc, and my xe2 is collecting dust and will be sold. Hopefully Fuji and Sony unveil new FF fixed lens travel cameras at photokina. Sony apparently has a new curved sensor design that will allow for smaller fixed lens FF cameras...

MRORANGE

I'm lugging around my a7 + zeiss 55mm f1.8 for this trip. It's a little heavier and conspicuous at times compared to my x100/x100s. And I still miss having a damned aperture ring. The phenomenal lens and full frame iq/dof justifies the whole endeavor at the moment though.

Thought about getting a leica adapter? you can mount some cheap-ish voigtlander lenses which are a lot smaller:

kwytCXk.jpg

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Yeah I have a couple adapters and manual lenses, but for travel photography I really feel like I should have an AF lens as my primary. Adapted legacy glass on the a7 series is awesome for filmmaking though.

TxdoHawk

I agree with this 1000%, especially with how incredible the low to mid-end mirrorless market has gotten.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Can't you just use a speedbooster with a apsc and get the benefits of ff?

Not really, no. The speedbooster gives you barely functional AF and huge compromises to IQ. You're way better off with a dumb adapter that preserves your sensor's crop factor, in which case you're only using the optically superior center of a lens, too.

I hope the next RX1 will have a viewfinder (and maybe a smaller lens, but I guess that's wishfull thinking).

And, of course, half the price. Would buy it in a heartbeat.

diaspora

Holy shit, I just got a Blackrapid strap for my 6D and this thing is glorious. The perfect ergonomics of the camera within reach plus having it feel weightless on my hip is so good.

So I got curious about the Helios 44-2 since it's very cheap and it seems to have a bit of a cult following these days. Somehow I managed to find an "old new" one in the box with instruction manual in Russian and all.

This thing really seems like it was barely used, if ever. There isn't a single sign of wear, the white dots you see on the exterior black finish are actually just dust it picked from the table.

Now I just need an m42 adapter for my a6000...

Faith

Depends on what camera they were using it on. I had little fun using it on a D3100 way back when.
My D90 has a built-in AF motor, so that wasn't the problem.

I made comparison shots and the Nikon 50mm was not better than my Tamron, so I don't need it anymore.

My D90 has a built-in AF motor, so that wasn't the problem.

I made comparison shots and the Nikon 50mm was not better than my Tamron, so I don't need it anymore.

it'd be better in low light or for achieving shallow depth of field, so i think it'd probably be worth keeping around since you wouldn't get much for it used. but sure, the tamron would make a better general purpose lens if zooms are your thing.

any of you into film cameras?

i wanna get into medium and large format.

I own a fair few medium format cameras and enjoy using film as well as digital. As other have said the hardest part at present is finding a decent lab for processing unless you plan to home process. You also need to consider digitising. I'm lucky to have a few excellent local labs and use an Epson V500 scanner to digitise at home.

When travelling I like to take my X-E2 and a medium format camera using the digital for general shots and the medium format when I think I can get something a bit different.

In terms of cameras stuff like Bronicas, Mamiya 645s (both 6x4) and Yashica Mat124s (6x6) can be picked up for less than £200 on eBay if you can find a reputable seller. The only downside about good quality medium format is the weight, things like the Mamiya 645 weigh a ton!

i shoot a ton of 35mm film but i live in japan where it's very convenient to do so. if you're nowhere near anywhere that can process and digitise, mail-in services like lomography's own can be a pretty good option.

Ty4on

Can't you just use a speedbooster with a apsc and get the benefits of ff?
Speedbooster adds extra glass which comprimises IQ (CA) and fast lenses get so fast the sensor starts bottlenecking. You can see it in the gain added to ISO as apertures approach F1.
Tstop3.jpg

The extra glass means only SLR lenses and the price difference between a high end APC-C camera and the A7 is not that much higher than the price for one speed booster.

The Mitakon 50mm f0.95 is just under one grand :p
Wonder what the t-stop they have on the A7s.

Faith

I got my Tamron 70-300mm/f4-5.6 VC today and I'm completely blown away. The image stabilisation is just out of this world! It freezes the picture when I focus and I can shoot with 1/20s at 300mm and get sharp photos. How is that even possible? My Nikon kitlens 18-105mm with VR is blury with 1/20s shutter speed, even at 18mm.

I want more lenses like that! :O

Damaged

any of you into film cameras?

i wanna get into medium and large format.

I shoot mostly medium format and the odd 35mm roll. As heliconsoul said you can pick up some very good Medium format cameras on ebay pretty cheaply. I ended up with a Bronica ETRS and a metering viewfinder which took allot of the pain out of moving up to medium format for me.

Personally I process my black and white at home, send my colour and slide away, and scan them all with an Epson V500. If you do get an epson the best thing you can do is toss the original 120 negative holder and get a new one from http://www.betterscanning.com/. made a huge difference in the quality of my scans.

Home processing Black and white is really simple and will save you a fortune in a long run, plus if I'm in a hurry I can be home after shooting and have negatives processed, dried and scanned in an hour.

MRORANGE

In the UK in Curry's you can get the EOS M for £149 with kit lens and a flash. They are clearing out the stock in-store.

- This camera has pretty slow AF but there is a firmware update to fix that.
- You can mount all your Ef lenses with an adapter for full control
- It's a fantastic compliment to anyone who works on video with canon systems.

AF is the only real downpoint, but for video it's amazing. At that price it's worth picking up if you own canon gear.

diaspora

In the UK in Curry's you can get the EOS M for £149 with kit lens and a flash. They are clearing out the stock in-store.

AF is the only real downpoint, but for video it's amazing. At that price it's worth picking up if you own canon gear.

IIRC, there's a magic lantern nightly for it too adding peaking, zoom focus, trap focus, etc.

Iacobellis

Loving my new 70D. The jump from a D3100 to this is just insane. Not to mention how much more any Canon body offers in the video department compared to Nikon.

Loving my new 70D. The jump from a D3100 to this is just insane. Not to mention how much more any Canon body offers in the video department compared to Nikon.

I also just bought a new 70D. Really impressed so far. I upgraded from a 40D and it's a pretty solid upgrade. The only (small) downside is that the 70D doesn't fit in my giant bear hands as well as the 40D did (the 70D is noticeably smaller). Other than that, it's a joy to use. Didn't realize before buying that the 70D had a touchscreen, it's actually pretty useful.

mrklaw

MrArseFace

Is it a dead platform? Just wondering why they'd be clearing it out

I'm new, but if anyone will let me borrow their brain for a second:

Sony Nex-5T for $500, or rx100m3 for around $700.

I thought the form factor of the rx100 made it nifty and it would still be useful even if I got a hulk of a camera later on. I probably would carry it around a bit more. NEX 5T might be comparable camera with a different form factor for cheaper, plus the option for lenses.

Faith

Also it's hard to say without knowing your camera/lens and settings you used.
Nikon D90 with the Sigma 10-20mm/f3.5 @10mm, ISO 200, f11, 1/400s. I also have some examples with a Tamron 28-75mm/f2.8. Everything with ISO 200:

http://abload.de/img/dsc_0543sbqpg.jpg (10mm, f11, 1/400s) 3MP-Version
http://abload.de/img/dsc_0584gyo5a.jpg (10mm, f10, 1/640s) 3MP-Version
http://abload.de/img/dsc_0596dwq7q.jpg (10mm, f11, 1/200s) 3MP-Version
http://abload.de/img/dsc_0597xfp1p.jpg (10mm, f11, 1/200s) 3MP-Version
http://abload.de/img/dsc_0580xpop5.jpg (10mm, f3.5, 1/3200s) 3MP-Version
http://abload.de/img/dsc_0591ssona.jpg (14mm, f3.5, 1/2000s) 3MP-Version
http://abload.de/img/dsc_0497a0o8v.jpg (28mm, f2.8, 1/320s) 3MP-Version
http://abload.de/img/dsc_0512rhoop.jpg (75mm, f2.8, 1/320s) 3MP-Version
http://abload.de/img/dsc_05142fqe4.jpg (75mm, f2.8, 1/160s) 3MP-Version
http://abload.de/img/dsc_05335xrtz.jpg (10mm, f5.6, 1/160s) 3MP-Version
http://abload.de/img/dsc_062014ruz.jpg (75mm, f2.8, 1/4000s) 3MP-Version
http://abload.de/img/dsc_0612cfq1c.jpg (28mm, f2.8, 1/4000s) 3MP-Version