• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Camera Equipment Megathread

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Is there a good way to browse photos with someone to select prints? Rather than sitting down at my desktop PC I'd like to use an ipad or even laptop. Have my photos in lightroom but also have the candidates exported to my NAS & Onedrive so they can be accessed from anywhere. Just want to easily be able to browse through them. Sounds like something lightroom mobile might be good at but hopefully there is another option

anyone looking to buy a Canon 70-200 f4 IS? Trying to fund other equipment. Great lens.

Awesome lens, probably one of my favourites. Great sharpness and still nice and light to walk around with (half the weight of the 2.8 I think)

mrklaw

MrArseFace
just traded + cash to get the 70-200 2.8 IS II

Woohoo :)

congrats. Heavy bugger though.

Following on from my question, I found three apps that seem to sync lightroom to ipad and let me view/tag photos on the ipad. Photosmith, Photophile and Mosaic. All seem similarly priced and from looking over them they all seem to do a similar job.

Anyone used these and can recommend one? I think the mosaic requirement of using google drive for storing the photos might put me off - it'll be slower than direct wifi and although it means I can access the photos away from home I doubt I'll ever do that.

Leaning towards photosmith simply because it also seems to support importing from eye-fi and SD card through the ipad. I've wanted to do that once before when on holiday so that might be useful.

Who has experience with printing you photos? I'm scanning negatives and I want to make some prints from them. What color profile should I be working in to get the best results?

Tektonic

Hey All,

Quick question. I've currently got a GF-2 which is long in the tooth, and i'm looking to get a new M4/3 body.

As i've got quite a few adapted lenses, i'm thinking Olympus. Should I be thinking OM-D EM-5 or EM-10? Or one of the EP-L5/7?

I like the size of the GF2, but something with a bit more heft would be good. I'm keeping the GF2 for video (ptools etc) - but is there an alternative to the Olympus that would be good for both?

thanks in advance!

Hey All,

Quick question. I've currently got a GF-2 which is long in the tooth, and i'm looking to get a new M4/3 body.

As i've got quite a few adapted lenses, i'm thinking Olympus. Should I be thinking OM-D EM-5 or EM-10? Or one of the EP-L5/7?

I like the size of the GF2, but something with a bit more heft would be good. I'm keeping the GF2 for video (ptools etc) - but is there an alternative to the Olympus that would be good for both?

thanks in advance!

Id definitely go with the EM10. It has the fantastic Olympus IS to stabilize the image during manual focusing and unlike the EM5, it has focus peaking, more AF coverage and WIFi as well.

I've seen deals on GetOlympus for a refurbished body on the cheap.

Donos

Compact mirrorles cameras are spreading fast at work and in my circle of friends. When they see that the picture and video quality is the same as their big bodies they never bother to carry around, they get interested and start researching. A few Fuji's, one Olympus and some A600s got bought recently. Some of them won't see another lens than the kit lens but well...

I'm suprised that Canon and Nikon are still behind in this category. EOS M and Nikon 1 don't seem to be serious contenders to Fuji/Olympus/Panasonc/Sony

RuGalz

Yea I see more and more of them in classes/workshops. There used to be maybe 1 person then it's 2 then it's 3. It's still a small percentage but as the prices for MILC come down they will definitely become more popular. I think Cannikon probably still think it's a fad and otoh they are still protecting their FF business.

Nikon's going to need yet another new mount and lenses if they want to dive into larger sensor size than the 1 system. Canon has the M mount but is it future proof? meaning does it cover FF image circle. I'm sure they both are doing R&D behind the scenes and are ready to jump in when it starts to look like it will approach critical mass and eat into their entry level DSLR sales in a big way. It's getting there but not quite.

MRORANGE

uhhh...

Y9XvNbb.jpg

Ty4on

what are these green led's for?

When you take a selfie it lights up to show how many faces it detects. The LEDs also light up in the countdown...
There's another LED on the shutter which turns red when you are recording video. Source because I'm not making it up ;_;

I love how ugly and old the old DA L lens looks on it.

The DA L WR had a new design, but it was pointless when WR was removed.

Flo_Evans

Who has experience with printing you photos? I'm scanning negatives and I want to make some prints from them. What color profile should I be working in to get the best results?

Without knowing your printer or scanner I would go with sRGB. That is most likely what the printer and scanner default to. Just make sure when you print to select the right profile for the paper you are using. Are you using photoshop? You are more than likely going to have to adjust the WB of the all photos since film is static color temp.

Ty4on

Things missing from K50 are WR and second dial, which are unfortunately to shrink the size of the camera body. There're plenty of new features trickled down from K3.

Like what apart from a new sensor and DSP? Those two things are usually good upgrades, but they were still really good to begin with on the K50. It could be a gem, but if this new 20MP sensor was some wonder I think we would have heard that by now. Battery is the same size, but the AA adapter isn't supported and the SD card is in the battery compartment.

WR and dual control dials were the features that made the K30 and K50 stand out from other DSLRs in that price class. Now they might as well choose the D5300 which doesn't sound like a drill focusing, has a tilt screen (for selfies :p ), same sensor as the K3 and D7100, better battery life and wifi. Only advantage the K-S1 has is its looks (without a nasty lens) and the viewfinder.

On the bright side the K50 is still amazingly cheap. While this will be priced at 750/800 you can still get a K50 for like 450/550.

RuGalz

Like what apart from a new sensor and DSP? Those two things are usually good upgrades, but they were still really good to begin with on the K50. It could be a gem, but if this new 20MP sensor was some wonder I think we would have heard that by now. Battery is the same size, but the AA adapter isn't supported and the SD card is in the battery compartment.

WR and dual control dials were the features that made the K30 and K50 stand out from other DSLRs in that price class. Now they might as well choose the D5300 which doesn't sound like a drill focusing, has a tilt screen (for selfies :p ), same sensor as the K3 and D7100, better battery life and wifi. Only advantage the K-S1 has is its looks (without a nasty lens) and the viewfinder.

On the bright side the K50 is still amazingly cheap. While this will be priced at 750/800 you can still get a K50 for like 450/550.

Compared to K50 it has new processor, which allows them to add diffraction correction, supposedly better CDAF (probably due to new processor), slightly larger magnefication in OVF, AA filter is removed and simulated in SR, Flu Card tether support, O-GPS support, stereo mic, HDMI port,

Well they said it isn't a replacement for K50 so you might as well just compare K50 to D5300. KS1 is obviously for people who care about smaller (it's only mm larger than SL1 but heavier due to IBIS) and stylish body instead of picking out every little details in the specs. They are definitely going after a different crowd that would buy D5300. Sensor performance is still to be seen. Western audiences will pan it for sure, but it may do well enough in Asia.

In terms of pricing, new model of same class will always be more expensive so comparing to previous model is kind of moot point imo. If this was an entry level model of camera in terms of features then I'd have more issue with the price. Either way, the DSLR market is over saturated they are probably just trying anything to attract buyers even if most of them won't buy any lens.

Edit: on the other hand I wonder if this is a test for how small they could make their FF (everyone's dream I guess) body, since K mount is FF compatible. It still won't be as thin or as light as MILC but with big ass FF lenses it's less of an issue.

Ty4on

Compared to K50 it has new processor, which allows them to add diffraction correction, supposedly better CDAF (probably due to new processor), slightly larger magnefication in OVF, AA filter is removed and simulated in SR, Flu Card tether support, O-GPS support, stereo mic, HDMI port,

Well they said it isn't a replacement for K50 so you might as well just compare K50 to D5300. KS1 is obviously for people who care about smaller (it's only mm larger than SL1 but heavier due to IBIS) and stylish body instead of picking out every little details in the specs. They are definitely going after a different crowd that would buy D5300. Sensor performance is still to be seen. Western audiences will pan it for sure, but it may do well enough in Asia.

In terms of pricing, new model of same class will always be more expensive so comparing to previous model is kind of moot point imo. If this was an entry level model of camera in terms of features then I'd have more issue with the price. Either way, the DSLR market is over saturated they are probably just trying anything to attract buyers even if most of them won't buy any lens.

Edit: on the other hand I wonder if this is a test for how small they could make their FF (everyone's dream I guess) body, since K mount is FF compatible. It still won't be as thin or as light as MILC but with big ass lenses it's less of an issue. http://j.mp/1qcwF3x#sthash.ipU6Rjy8.dpuf

Ugh. I hate them calling it diffraction correction. Makes people think they can take sharp images at F22+ when it's just sharpening.

I guess it has a shot in Asia. Selfie cameras with absurdly high prices seem to do really well there for reasons no one can explain. Pricing wise it is still 50$ more than the K50 was introduced at and the problem I see is they didn't justify it.

If this is the model for a new FF Pentax they better give it some dials because I like manual mode. If they make a compact FF DSLR I'd love to see it styled like the ME family because they were some of the smallest 35mm SLRs ever made.

RuGalz

K50 was a K30 in a new casing, which was already using old parts from K01. K50 must had much higher margin than KS1 to start with.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
just updated to lightroom 5.6 and in the develop module, it has recovery/fill light back again - my previous version had highlights/shadows. I remember an earlier version had fill light etc - have they reverted or is there a setting that I need to change?

RuGalz

That's true, but they didn't remove features and the K30 was really ugly :p

You are weird, K30 looks way nicer than K50 :p And there was nothing needed to be removed, I bet K50 was just a less bold design of K30 from their prototype pile. Same camera, same features, less costly over time to build whereas KS1 actually incurred cost to design and built.

Ty4on

You are weird, K30 looks way nicer than K50 :p And there was nothing needed to be removed, I bet K50 was just a less bold design of K30 from their prototype pile. Same camera, same features, less costly over time to build whereas KS1 actually incurred cost to design and built.
Didn't it have new processing?
The K50 is no beauty, but the K30 was just so odd looking. Maybe your right it was a different prototype. It's amazing how much Pentax recycle when so many DA primes cover fullframe :p

Maybe the WR didn't make much of a difference in cheaper DSLRs or maybe they want people to go for the K3 instead. Will be interesting to see what they present at Photokina.

Darkkn

Switched my Fuji X100S to Sony RX100 mkIII... So far, so good. My reasoning for the switch was that if i can retain ~80-90% of the image quality for much smaller/compact and lighter camera, it's a very good trade-off.

Now this thing truly is compact enough to carry with me almost always and the image quality has yet to disappoint. Best camera is the one that is with you and this one also happens to take amazing pictures.

One feature that has surprised me is the Wifi+NFC combo that makes it amazingly smooth and quick to transfer photos to my Android phone to edit and share. This is one feature that every camera should nail these days, but don't. Must have feature for me from now on.

This unfortunately does not have the same amazing feeling when taking pictures that Fuji has... RX100 somehow feels more detached... but I can live with it.

Loved my Fuji, amazing camera, but it was just enough of a pain in the ass to carry around...

hitsugi

Loved my Fuji, amazing camera, but it was just enough of a pain in the ass to carry around...

Really? I've seen them a few times, and they always look a hell of a lot more convenient than my NEX-3N+lens.. and I'm sure it is, but I guess I need to go hold one in person in order to experience it. I was heavily considering the X100/S for portability reasons..

Ty4on

Really? I've seen them a few times, and they always look a hell of a lot more convenient than my NEX-3N+lens.. and I'm sure it is, but I guess I need to go hold one in person in order to experience it. I was heavily considering the X100/S for portability reasons..

It is huge compared to the RX100 :p
This summer I saw and held a Leica M (240 I think) for the first time and was surprised by how big it was. I think it's because modern pro SLRs are so darn huge that everything else seem small. The Sony A7 for example is quite similar in size to 35mm SLRs from the 70s.

I get that the grip and weight make them easier to hold and that the phase detect autofocus needs space in the bottom, but I wish more dared to abolish some of those features to make a smaller and still prolevel ILC like the A7. Imagine how good the DF could look if it wasn't a D600 with a different skin :p

Edit: Sorry for another rant :/

This is what I was thinking. x100s is super portable for a high end camera compared to most of what's on the market. Love the x100s. Hate those lens add ons for it though. they fuck up the built in flash. Only digital camera I own is an x100s and I don't see any point in getting anything else digital.

just updated to lightroom 5.6 and in the develop module, it has recovery/fill light back again - my previous version had highlights/shadows. I remember an earlier version had fill light etc - have they reverted or is there a setting that I need to change?

I just updated and its still Shadows / Highlights for me. weird.

JDeluis

Are you processing a photo that you worked on in a previous version of Lightroom? I had this happen to me when I was looking at a photo I processed years ago in Lightroom 2. Just hit reset on the photo and highlight/shadows appeared again.

teiresias

Are you processing a photo that you worked on in a previous version of Lightroom? I had this happen to me when I was looking at a photo I processed years ago in Lightroom 2. Just hit reset on the photo and highlight/shadows appeared again.

Yeah, you need to convert any old photos to the newest process otherwise the old controls still show up.

Doc Holliday

SPOILER: Columbus finds America
If sony were smarter the would slap that a7s sensor on a rangefinder body with built in Viewfinder and old school controls. Leica and Fuji would be shitting bricks. That new Zeiss 50mm FF nex lens on that would be amazing.

This is so ridiculous. Sony could have make it a useful photography equiptment by linking them with faster wireless transmission. I mean the technology is probably here. This thing is just Fisher Price to the n degree.

muu

Received the K-5IIs last week, been playing around with it and paired w/ the cheapo 35mm prime it certainly takes killer pictures. Overall pleased with its performance. Now to get that Sigma lens...

Donos

This is so ridiculous. Sony could have make it a useful photography equiptment by linking them with faster wireless transmission. I mean the technology is probably here. This thing is just Fisher Price to the n degree.

They see me rollin', they hatin' ...

WK24jo1.png

Is this shit (QX10 and QX100) selling? Why is sony pumping so much energy into this... smh. Do they hope to catch lighning in a bottle because smartphones are everything nowadays?

RuGalz

Received the K-5IIs last week, been playing around with it and paired w/ the cheapo 35mm prime it certainly takes killer pictures. Overall pleased with its performance. Now to get that Sigma lens...

Awesome. In some ways I wish they'd make a K-3 with that sensor. The DR is slightly better there.

Is this shit (QX10 and QX100) selling? Why is sony pumping so much energy into this... smh. Do they hope to catch lighning in a bottle because smartphones are everything nowadays?

I can see it semi useful for someone shooting tethered a lot. Or if you are attaching it to a telescope or a long lens and just waiting for something to happen. You can sit down and just look at your phone and press shutter any time. Or maybe if you want to be discrete on the street and just attach a wide angle on it and shoot away without using a screen. Either way it must have sold enough units to show that there might be a small market for it...

Donos

You can already do this with some of the newer cams with App support (e.g. NEX-6, A6000).
More power to them if it sells. Would want that they put more resources into new, affordable E-Mount (APSC) lenses...

RuGalz

It's smaller and more minimalistic than A6000 and has NFC for setting things up for phones that have NFC and the screen (phone) runs on separate battery. I'm not convinced that Sony is interested in covering mid range lenses. They partner with Zeiss for the name and release expensive lenses and they release kit lenses for the mass. They are probably betting that if they can dominate the market by producing superior electronics 3rd parties will cover the mid range.

You can already do this with some of the newer cams with App support (e.g. NEX-6, A6000).
More power to them if it sells. Would want that they put more resources into new, affordable E-Mount (APSC) lenses...

Or the XT1. The image module should never attach to the smartphone because its completely pointless. The lens module better off come out with official helmet mount and chest mount.

ChopstickNinja

Neo Member
Anyone shooting with this combination? There is a mail-in offer in Canada right now for a free 18mm lens with the purchase of the xt-1 body.

I am pretty set on the xt-1 but am wondering if the lens is worth keeping or selling to find the cost of another lens.

I have xf14, 18, 1855 55200 and the 35.

18 was the last lens I bought and I thought I would use the pancake a ton but I ended up using the 14 most of the time and have used the 18 maybe 2-3 times only. I find I rather take the kit lens and take on a little extra bit of bulk.

itsgreen

So.... Photokina is right around the corner... you guys looking for anything special?

I am very interested in the rumoured Canon 7D mk II.

Also keen on a 100-400 II lens, but that seems unlikely according to the rumormill.

Futureman

How much better is the 5D3's autofocus compared to 5D2?

I've mainly used the 5D2 for video until lately I've been getting more photo jobs and the autofocus can be hit or miss... Maybe I should get a 7D at reduced price when 7D2 comes out???

Ty4on

So.... Photokina is right around the corner... you guys looking for anything special?

Anything affordable and preferably full frame would be cool. Could be interesting to see the two new Sony FE lenses even though they will be too expensive for me. Third party lenses have been very interesting lately so I hope they got something good for FE. From what I've heard though the lenses are nowhere near finished, but maybe we could see some rebranded Leica optics like the Zeiss Loxia.

D750 and 7D mk2 target autofocus/sport which isn't very important to me, but it will be cool to see what new stuff they feature.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
The new Luxia Zeiss lenses for the A7 cameras seem to be updated versions of their rangefinder counterparts which are already awesome. The 50 Planar in particular is a really good 50mm.
Tiny too.

jts

...hate me...
Anyone have tried Komputerbay or Qumox brands of SD cards?

Cheapest I can find for 128GB SDXCs. Very much worth a shot in any case, I guess.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom