• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Camera Equipment Megathread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Damaged

any good books or websites out there on making excellent scans of your negatives for print?

I've found little short ones and I kinda get how to bring photoshop into it and what settings to put them at to get them ready for print. need more guidance though and information so I know I'm doing it the most efficient and getting the most detail out of my scans.

Was a pretty decent write up on the Japan camera hunter website yesterday, sadly on mobile so can't find it but a quick Google should bring it up.

Fireblend

Banned
So guys I want to pull the trigger on an A6000 but I'm debating myself on whether to order it with the 16-50 kit lens or a Sigma 30/2.8 prime.

What do you guys think?

- I don't usually use any zoom, and I don't think the zoom in the 16-50 is that good anyway, right?
- I'm planning to use it mostly for photos you'd take during traveling, so mostly landscapes and urban shots (maybe some portraits).
- I like wide apertures and bokeh.

I'm leaning towards grabbing the Sigma, but I just wanted you guys who know way more than me to validate my thought process
KuGsj.gif
I initially wanted to get the Sony 35/1.8 but there's no way I can justify spending $450 on a lens. Maybe in the future.

RuGalz

After going through some hoops, I finally got a brown version of X-M1 at about the same price as the Newegg's black version. I guess these MILC really are made for primes... My hand's cramping pretty bad trying to use the 16-50 with it. Using my Pentax primes plus adapter feel much better although it still causes the whole thing to be front heavy.

What are my options for grip? I've seen people using the thumb grip that goes into the flash hotshoe. Not sure how I like having extra thing sticking out. I like having half case on my Q as grip but I'm not sure if that's grippy enough for the weight of the lenses mounted on X-M1.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
so my sister is getting married - just a registry office, not a big church thing (second marriage). My dad just rang to see if I'd take some photos, and I said no - mainly because I don't want to fuck up and leave them with nothing. But he is finding it difficult to get someone at short notice (wedding is early September and the previous booked photographer just dropped out).

Are there any tips on how I might get some good shots? I still don't want to be the only option, but the fallback might be to get everyone there to take photos and pool them at the end.

I have a 700d with an 85mm 1.8 which is pretty ok quality, and a flashgun plus wireless transceiver if I need to fire it off camera.

Any sites I can check out that can give pointers, and maybe I can get some practice in during the next few weeks?

RuGalz

Are there any tips on how I might get some good shots? I still don't want to be the only option, but the fallback might be to get everyone there to take photos and pool them at the end.

I'm not a portrait photographer myself but I did ask my friend who is (but never shot a wedding) to do my wedding. I'm sure there are others here who can offer better suggestions but here are some ideas...

In terms of equipment, You definitely want to have two camera bodies, one for wider angle lens and the other for mid to telephoto lens. The 85mm might be fine depends on the location for mid-telephoto. Zoom lenses are definitely much more flexible in this case. And honestly, these shots don't need to be tact sharp, just need to be properly focused. I have photos taken from 5DM3, 70D, 40D, E-M5; while I can tell the difference in quality, nobody else does or cares when it's printed out on normal size paper. Bring extra batteries, etc.

There are many checklist of must have photos out there -- just search for them to get some ideas. Discuss with your sister and figure out what kind of things she likes and don't like. Definitely manage their expectations.

Figure out what the location setup will be like on the day of. Over here, you tend to share space at city hall so taking photos from one angle works better than the others, etc.

Are you doing their portrait photos either before or after? The getting ready photos? You may want to discuss with your sister what kind of shots she wants. Figure out the poses and practice them if possible. Figure out the locations where the photos will be taken ahead of time.

Are there going to be family shots, group shots, etc? Same thing, figure out how people will be lined up and where the photos will be taken. The more you get these things figured out ahead of time the easier it will be on the day of.

That's all I can think of right now but I'm sure you will find many more of them on the web...

mrklaw

MrArseFace
if you use lightroom, do you need photoshop? Just saw a banner ad for the photoshop/lightroom CC subscription from Adobe. £8 per month gets you both photoshop CC and lightroom CC. I already have lightroom 5, and an older copy of photoshop elements 9, but I find that most general stuff I do directly in lightroom.

The lightroom mobile app for ipad might be interesting if it lets me do basic organising/flagging/tagging on ipad

TxdoHawk

if you use lightroom, do you need photoshop? Just saw a banner ad for the photoshop/lightroom CC subscription from Adobe. £8 per month gets you both photoshop CC and lightroom CC. I already have lightroom 5, and an older copy of photoshop elements 9, but I find that most general stuff I do directly in lightroom.

The lightroom mobile app for ipad might be interesting if it lets me do basic organising/flagging/tagging on ipad

I think it really comes down to how much manipulation you do with your photos. Like you, I handle 99.99% of what I need in Lightroom, and haven't seen the need...but none of my tweaking is too wild.

Flo_Evans

St8AUW8.jpg

Cause I just got a new one :)

Acratech GV2 + kirk D800 camera plate + kirk 70-200 f/4 collar

Its like a work of art. Over the top? Kinda but I felt like my D810 needed a nice throne.

Aurongel

So who else is excited to see a bunch of older gear get price drops after Photokina? I had to try really hard not to pull the trigger on that amazing Canon 7D fire sale last week leading up to it.

Flo_Evans

So who else is excited to see a bunch of older gear get price drops after Photokina? I had to try really hard not to pull the trigger on that amazing Canon 7D fire sale last week leading up to it.

What are they going for?

I still have one and the 17-55 2.8 laying around that I never use... was going to sell to fund some more lenses ;)

RuGalz

I think I'm done with my Pentax kit for several years and probably won't expand the Fuji any time soon. It will be a few more generations before I build up a MILC system more seriously since there's simply too much technology still evolving in that field.

I'm more excited to see the new stuff (which I can't afford, but still).

Wonder if we see a X100s successor, or any other compact cameras with APS-C sensors.

Doc Holliday

SPOILER: Columbus finds America
That is pure luck D: I still see plenty of X100's (not x100s) go for $600, and haven't been able to get one at $500 or less. If I could pick up the x100s for that price I would in a heartbeat.

Black one too! BAstard :D
Paid 1200 for mine a year ago. Sold my nex 5n to pay for most of it.

MRORANGE

New Nikon Full Frame for Photokina rumor

The upcoming full frame Nikon DSLR camera will not be a replacement for the current D610 model (the D610 was not an upgrade for the D600, just a fix for the sensor oil/spot issue). Nikon will continue to sell the D610 after the new camera is announced. What I am hearing is that this new DSLR will not be part of the D6xx product line and will be marketed as an "action" camera (the promotional material will involve skaters - probably high-speed action shots and video).

Read more on NikonRumors.com: http://nikonrumors.com/2014/08/11/t...keted-as-an-action-camera.aspx/#ixzz3AftTID4F

Expected Specs:

24MP full frame sensor
Tilting LCD screen
Wi-Fi support
Expeed 4 imaging processor
Very light body (probably similar to the D610 and Df, maybe even lighter)
Priced around $2,500 (the current Nikon FX camera price points are - D610: $1,896.95, Df: $2,746.95, D810: $3,296.95, D4s: $6,496.95)
Potential announcement at the end of August or early September

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This could be a D5000 style camera with a full frame sensor.

New Nikon Full Frame for Photokina rumor

Expected Specs:

24MP full frame sensor
Tilting LCD screen
Wi-Fi support
Expeed 4 imaging processor
Very light body (probably similar to the D610 and Df, maybe even lighter)
Priced around $2,500 (the current Nikon FX camera price points are - D610: $1,896.95, Df: $2,746.95, D810: $3,296.95, D4s: $6,496.95)
Potential announcement at the end of August or early September

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This could be a D5000 style camera with a full frame sensor.

Interesting.

Was hoping for more affordable FF bodies, around $1000. Guess that still needs time...

Ty4on

As someone waiting for affordable FF cameras that D700 sounds very boring :/

Pentax are (like always I guess) rumored to announce a FF camera, but even if they do I doubt it'll be cheaper than the A7.

RuGalz

Pentax are (like always I guess) rumored to announce a FF camera, but even if they do I doubt it'll be cheaper than the A7.

Pentax isn't going to release FF just because and it certainly won't be bargain price. FF is a very small percent of the whole market, which they only own a small percent. It would need to be financially viable. I think it was the right decision to focus on MF first which for sure have delayed FF if it's even coming out.

Aurongel

Sounds like an answer to the all-but confirmed Canon 7D mk II. Pentax going full frame doesn't excite me much either because their lens lineup for that format is going to be pretty slim.

Tablo

I'm thinking of getting a legit camera and learning photo stuff, prolly a Fuji. I like their X mount stuff, XE1 prices with the fantastic 18-55 are good atm, but I'll wait for post-Photokina. X100/s seems legit, not sure if I want a fixed focal length, don't think so.

Told a friend to get a Pentax K5 II recently, he loves it, and it feels so sexy, but too big and noticeable for me. Took it out and people were being weird when we were composing shots. >_>

My dream camera would be the XT1, but way too much $$$ and I think the XE1/2 rangefinder style is way more practical for frequent use out and about.

RuGalz

Sounds like an answer to the all-but confirmed Canon 7D mk II. Pentax going full frame doesn't excite me much either because their lens lineup for that format is going to be pretty slim.

They do have a library of FF lenses that they can bring back to the market similarly to what they did with 645 format recently. The current FA prime trio (31, 43 and 77) are still fantastic even though they could use weather sealing update. DFA 50 and 100 are FF compatible so you already have 2 great, modern, macro lenses. Many other FF lenses are still widely available. Various APSC lenses (mostly primes) are still FF compatible even if they are not marketed as such because they were derived from the FF lenses. And of course, you got the whole history of old FF lenses that can be used. Lens line up really isn't that big of an issue since they already have several modern primes that will work as is plus the entire back history of lenses. Update a few zoom lenses to modern optic coating and it's all good to go.

My dream camera would be the XT1, but way too much $$$ and I think the XE1/2 rangefinder style is way more practical for frequent use out and about.

I recently contemplated a little bit on the XT1 but as I started to compare the size and weight XT1 + 18-135 with K3 + 18-135 to match both weather sealing and image stabilization features. I had a sad face when I saw the weight saving was only like 250g, which isn't a whole lot when it's carried on the shoulder imo. (And I have the choice of going down to K-50, which IIRC will equalize the weight.) Size wise it's more significant saving though. But small body with big weight is an issue for me so I decided on cheaper XM-1 to be my "fun" camera. I'm probably going to pick up a couple primes down the road, which I think are more suitable for this type of camera.

sfedai0

Banned
I have a question about using external flash setups. I've been shooting for a couple years, mainly landscape photos, and almost always only when I travel, so I like to travel light. How much of a difference would it make using a flash setup? Would it be worth the additional weight and hassle?

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I have a question about using external flash setups. I've been shooting for a couple years, mainly landscape photos, and almost always only when I travel, so I like to travel light. How much of a difference would it make using a flash setup? Would it be worth the additional weight and hassle?

for landscapes? Hardly any difference. Assuming you're using a tripod, you can use any shutter speed you like, so available light shouldn't be an issue, and of course you won't get enough coverage or range from a flash to light up anything meaningful.

Mainly for portrait work or still life stuff IMO.

For landscape, assuming you have the lenses you're happy with, I'd want a nice lightweight tripod with either built-in spirit levels or one added on, and then a cable release to avoid camera wobble.

If you're wondering in case you take a few people pictures along the way, then for basic fill you can use the onboard flash. But an external flash (even mounted on camera) can be good for controlling the direction of light - especially for bouncing off a wall/ceiling to increase the size of the light source, which softens the light and reduces harsh shadows. They aren't heavy, but they can be bulky - a Canon 580EXII would probably take up the space of a lens in your bag..

Ty4on

Pentax isn't going to release FF just because and it certainly won't be bargain price. FF is a very small percent of the whole market, which they only own a small percent. It would need to be financially viable. I think it was the right decision to focus on MF first which for sure have delayed FF if it's even coming out.
Ricoh owns Pentax now though (financials) and it could serve them well to have a halo product. FF DSLR with sensor stabilization would also be unique.
Edit: Answer to first bit. Interesting to respond with a FF unless I missed something about the 7D II.

Pentax were very slow in updating their lenses. As a result several DA primes cover full frame and then you have all the F and FA lenses that cover FF and have autofocus. Manual focus lenses also work pretty well with simple stop down metering on pre A lenses. Pentax never had an AI moment :p

But they sill lack the usual ultra wide zoom and telephoto zooms and most FA lenses are no longer in production. For anyone not familiar with Pentax lens names click here.

Tablo

I recently contemplated a little bit on the XT1 but as I started to compare the size and weight XT1 + 18-135 with K3 + 18-135 to match both weather sealing and image stabilization features. I had a sad face when I saw the weight saving was only like 250g, which isn't a whole lot when it's carried on the shoulder imo. (And I have the choice of going down to K-50, which IIRC will equalize the weight.) Size wise it's more significant saving though. But small body with big weight is an issue for me so I decided on cheaper XM-1 to be my "fun" camera. I'm probably going to pick up a couple primes down the road, which I think are more suitable for this type of camera.

At first I was totally considering the XA1/XM1, it's also 600$~ on Adorama with both XC lenses!

...But , the more I think about it, I really am curious about the control layout of the higher end X series models, seems like something you really can grow into control wise, alongside the aperture ring and controls on the XF lenses.
Also the viewfinder, I've been happily snapping with my Lumia 920 for a while now, so I think having a viewfinder will enrich my experience and give me something unique to use! :)

I think if I came to want the XE1 sooner, I'd have jumped on that 650$ bundle with the 18-55 XF lens. It's only 50$ more now but... :p
Can't wait for Photokina though! First one I'll actually be following closely :D

muu

There's a few ridiculous sales going for Pentax cameras and I'm tempted to take advantage. One is for K-50 body w/ some goodies that come out to $400 free ship, the other is an ebay seller offloading a bunch of K5-IIs's for now $561 -- looking at past sales history it looks fairly legit. Anyone here tried these two cameras, and if so what'd be the advantage of going K5? The biggest sticking point atm is autofocus and white balance on shots, K-X hunts a decent amount in lower light, and there's a large number of shots that just aren't coming out as properly exposed. Guess part of that is on me to adjust some things manually sometimes, but still...

RuGalz

There's a few ridiculous sales going for Pentax cameras and I'm tempted to take advantage. One is for K-50 body w/ some goodies that come out to $400 free ship, the other is an ebay seller offloading a bunch of K5-IIs's for now $561 -- looking at past sales history it looks fairly legit. Anyone here tried these two cameras, and if so what'd be the advantage of going K5? The biggest sticking point atm is autofocus and white balance on shots, K-X hunts a decent amount in lower light, and there's a large number of shots that just aren't coming out as properly exposed. Guess part of that is on me to adjust some things manually sometimes, but still...

K5IIs will be able to focus much better in low light and it does not have low pass filter so the image can be sharper. Shutter is quieter but It will be heavier than K50 for sure. In terms of WB, both are probably the same but are better than K-x. K5IIs has top LCD which means you can leave the back LCD off and still see your camera settings to save battery power.

Ty4on

K5II (and s) can focus down to -3EV which is very dim. Feature wise they're quite similar, but the K5 is more professional with a much more quiet shutter (I love the sound of it), twice as big battery, better construction etc.

Then again the K50 has many of the same features and can with an adapter use AA batteries. It's a really good value.

muu

I said screw it and got the K-5IIs. Coming sometime next week!

Now to get some good lenses... the prices on those are absolutely insane.

RuGalz

I said screw it and got the K-5IIs. Coming sometime next week!

Now to get some good lenses... the prices on those are absolutely insane.

You will love it. I can focus in near full darkness even with the 18-135mm on K3 no problem, not full speed fast, but it focuses and accurate. The K5IIs is similar in that regard.
Good glasses are worth it; you can find them used to save some money... Though I have yet to jump on the FA trio yet, they are rumored to get an update.

muu

You will love it. I can focus in near full darkness even with the 18-135mm on K3 no problem, not full speed fast, but it focuses and accurate. The K5IIs is similar in that regard.
Good glasses are worth it; you can find them used to save some money... Though I have yet to jump on the FA trio yet, they are rumored to get an update.

Are there any zoom lenses that will get you the sharpness of prime without destroying your wallet? The K-X w/ the cheap 35mm prime has taken really wonderful shots when it worked as it should, hoping I can get more keepers w/ the K-5IIs. A little versatility in zoom won't hurt though...

RuGalz

Are there any zoom lenses that will get you the sharpness of prime without destroying your wallet? The K-X w/ the cheap 35mm prime has taken really wonderful shots when it worked as it should, hoping I can get more keepers w/ the K-5IIs. A little versatility in zoom won't hurt though...

Only one currently available that comes close to that is the Sigma 18-35 f1.8... But personally I wouldn't carry that thing around too much, too big and heavy and various people reporting focusing issues. FA 31mm vs Sigma 18-35mm Any zoom that come close to the performance of a prime is $$$...
The DA 18-135mm WR got some negative reviews initially but... A lot of users, including me, find it super versatile and the performance is great to excellent in 20-50mm range and is fine up to 100mm or so. The center sharpness is actually one of the best in 20-50 but the corners are a bit weaker compared to prime. I don't pixel peep much any more so the results are 'fine' by me. I use it a lot, especially since it's quiet and weather sealed. See user samples here.
If you need wider aperture, then there are a few choices from both Pentax and Sigma. Pentax's own lenses are definitely more expensive. Just listing a few less expensive ones here but there are more lenses available in the normal zoom range: Sigma 17-70 f2.8-4, Sigma 17-50 f2.8, Tamron 17-70 f2.8, Pentax 16-45 f4, Pentax 17-70 f4
So, it just depends on your needs based on your shooting style. I find 18-135 indispensable for WR feature and as a general purpose lens. I also have DA* 16-50 for low light events.

ACK34422 by Andy C (AC), on Flickr

muu

The 17-50 Sigma 2.8 would be in the range I'd work with, and reviews make it out to be superior to the equivalent Pentax lens. I'll have to think about this one...

And wow, the prices in Japan are ridiculously low. 30,000 yen for this? Guess I'll have my parents pick this up when they head there for vacation.

Hey guys, I'm looking to buy a video camera. I've had my eye on a DSLR, but if there are alternatives: feel free to recommend them. My budget is around $650/$700.

Recommendations I've had from people: Nikon 5200, Canon Rebel T3i, ...

I'm planning on making a short film.

Thanks in advance!

Doc Holliday

SPOILER: Columbus finds America
Leica just announced their new camera

Leica M-P
Only $7,950!!

What's different you ask

Leica-M-P-240-camera-front.jpg

1. New giant screw instead of the Leica logo - Handcrafted by beautiful german hands!
2. 2 gig ram
3. sapphire glass lcd
4.Manual viewfinder frame selection

Oh yea btw the one year old M 240 just went up 300 bucks for shits and giggles.

RuGalz

Looks like Fuji FF incoming at Photonika

http://www.fujifilm.com/photokina2014/index.html

We will be unveiling our latest lineup of X-series digital cameras along with interchangeable lenses and peripheral accessories at this year's Photokina. At the Touch and Try Corner of the Fujifilm booth, visitors will be able to experience the outstandingly high image quality with a full size sensor and high resolution images taken with the new lineup of cameras that feature FUJINON XF interchangeable lenses.

RuGalz

But they'll need a new line of FF XF lenses then right? ...
Thought they said they would just sorta focus on APS-C lol

I hope they'll be some sweet price drops on stuff for X cameras after Photokina tho.

The more I read it the more I'm not sure if they really mean FF or just playing with words lol.

Radec

Leica just announced their new camera

Leica M-P
Only $7,950!!

What's different you ask

Leica-M-P-240-camera-front.jpg

1. New giant screw instead of the Leica logo - Handcrafted by beautiful german hands!
2. 2 gig ram
3. sapphire glass lcd
4.Manual viewfinder frame selection

Oh yea btw the one year old M 240 just went up 300 bucks for shits and giggles.

No red dot?

But how can future M-P owners let people know they are using a Leica?

:p

jts

...hate me...
I'm buying a compact superzoom soon... just upgrading from having the smartphone as my only camera. I'll be using it for travelling, casually shooting sports, my pets, parties and events and such. Stuff where you don't need to be stuck with smartphone ghetto photography. (j/k)

Anyway, I started my quest by wanting a specific model and I was gonna go through with it... the Canon SX700. But then I started reading shit. Huge mistake. Seems like this market is massively competitive and there's offering from all manufacturers, each with its own strengths that will make you think twice before making a choice.

So, right now my increasingly larger shortlist boils down to:

1. Canon SX700 @ 250€
    (-no GPS)
  2. Sony HX50 @ 250€
    (-no GPS)
    (-20Mp a tad too high for its sensor size)
    (+dedicated exposure compensation dial)
    (+multifunctional hotshoe)
  3. Nikon S9700 @ 270€
    (+lightweight)
  4. Panasonic Lumix TZ60 (ZS40 in the USA) @ 330€
    (-pricey)
    (-grip could be better)
    (+built-in live view finder)
    (+RAW support)

Other than this they are all 30x superzooms, all wi-fi enabled and with a good amount of manual controls. All have not very different sensors, IQ, etc.

Happy if anyone wants to chime in. You can bring in experience with the brands and whatnot too.

RuGalz

Yeah I think they're just playing with words lol

They fixed the wording LOL.

We will be unveiling our latest lineup of X-series cameras along with interchangeable lenses and peripheral accessories at this year's Photokina. At the Touch and Try Corner of the Fujifilm booth, visitors will be able to experience the outstandingly high image quality and high resolution of the new cameras and FUJINON XF interchangeable lenses. Once again, the emphasis will be on the high resolution of the APS-C sensor - which rivals that of a full frame sensor* - as well as the rich tonality and beautiful color reproduction of output, which Fujifilm X-series cameras have become so renowned for.
* Corrected as of August 25. The original sentence included a typographical error.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom