• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Camera Equipment Megathread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Donos

Need to sell a Nikon D5000, kit lens + lots of stuff + a Sigma 18-200mm F3,5-6,3 DC HSM OS, both in very good condition.

Question is, sell them in a big pack or should i sell them separate. Mother paid 670 € for the cam and 360 € for Sigma. Hope to get at least 500 - 600 € for both.

Saw an ebay auction today which finished at 450 € (body with 18-55 kit lens) with less extra stuff. That's 400 € after ebay "tax".
If i get 150 € for the Sigma lens, this would be enough.

DBT85

Separate seems to do better than bundled. Try some people who take second hand gear and get some prices and then see if it's worth fucking about with ebay and all the potential pitfalls or not.

jokkir

What do you guys think of this tripod?

http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-CA/product...spx?path=40062267ea47db9040dbc63013d9791een02

I tried it in stores a couple days ago and I think I liked it. It seemed sturdy but a bit heavy (at least heavier than my current tripod) and I like the whole tripod/monopod thing. I'm not really using a heavy camera for it though so I feel I'm just going to pack on more weight for no reason (I'm using the lens camera from Sony. The QX100). It also seems to go taller than my tripod and can easily go into portrait position unlike my current one (you need to adjust the position of the plate + camera to get it in the proper position).

However, after quick searches, there doesn't seem to be anything else from "Platinum" so I don't know about the quality of them. There also seems to be a lack of a quick release plate I think? I need to check it again

Flo_Evans

What do you guys think of this tripod?

http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-CA/product...spx?path=40062267ea47db9040dbc63013d9791een02

I tried it in stores a couple days ago and I think I liked it. It seemed sturdy but a bit heavy (at least heavier than my current tripod) and I like the whole tripod/monopod thing. I'm not really using a heavy camera for it though so I feel I'm just going to pack on more weight for no reason (I'm using the lens camera from Sony. The QX100). It also seems to go taller than my tripod and can easily go into portrait position unlike my current one (you need to adjust the position of the plate + camera to get it in the proper position).

However, after quick searches, there doesn't seem to be anything else from "Platinum" so I don't know about the quality of them. There also seems to be a lack of a quick release plate I think? I need to check it again

don't put thousands of dollars of camera equipment on a cheap tripod. Look at bogen/manfrotto stuff as entry level.

Whitelines

Neo Member
Hello guys, can i have some advice.

what lens would go better with a d90 for some street photo, and shooting people:

50mm 1.8
35mm 1.8

Thanks

what lens would go better with a d90 for some street photo, and shooting people:

50mm 1.8
35mm 1.8

Thanks

This depends on your own preferences for shooting street life. ;-)
50mm on APS-C gives you the equivalent of 75mm, so you'll get some good faces without having to go too close on your subjects.
But if you want to frame the scenario as such, especially in narrower streets or on a market, then you might prefer the smaller focal length. (Some call 35-40 mm the 'reporting FL', because it gives the impression of 'to be in the scene'.)

My personal favourite is an equiv. of 40mm. (Panasonic 20mm on MFT), which gives me a good overall overview of the street life.

Aurongel

50mm 1.8
35mm 1.8

Thanks

Of those two, definitely 35mm f1.8 for on-the-go street shooting. The 50mm is more suited for portraits and headshots while the 35mm gives you a healthy bit of room to breathe. I actually recently switched from a 50mm to a 35mm for street photography and found that I was getting more context in my shots in exchange for some of the bokeh the 50mm provided. Ultimately though, it depends on the environment and on your shooting style:

On crowded streets, 50mm on APS-C is just way to unwieldy and makes framing difficult.

So who here owns a 35mm point and shoot?

I'm thinking of getting one.

I heard the contax t3 is the best but what do you guys own?

It's expensive too. like $800 for a black one.

I'm also saving super hard for a mamiya 7ii. probably get one when I sell my car.

East Lake

I'm also saving super hard for a mamiya 7ii. probably get one when I sell my car.
I had a T3 at one point. Was nice but I think if I bought another it would be a Fuji Klasse S. Good focal length with manual exposure control always at your fingertips.

Fujifilm Nutura Classica are (were?) last batch of 35mm film fixed lens camera (P&S if you will) in production. You can find them on ebay.

50mm 1.8
35mm 1.8

Thanks

I was deciding between the same two for a while but I ended up getting the 40mm 2.8. Not as good for shooting in low-light but it also does macro and has great bokeh - which was my main reason for not getting the 35mm. That said, the 35mm is a no-brainer for street photography and is a great lens overall for the value.

I am SO CLOSE to buying my Canon 6D. $200 short and it's driving me insane waiting the two weeks for my paycheck.

(I know I said the 60D or 7D a few pages back, but I decided to just not spend and instead save for a full frame.)

BJK

I am SO CLOSE to buying my Canon 6D. $200 short and it's driving me insane waiting the two weeks for my paycheck.

(I know I said the 60D or 7D a few pages back, but I decided to just not spend and instead save for a full frame.)

Good luck; I gave serious thought about the 6D before buying the 70D refurbished from Canon on Black Friday. It took a lot of reviews and recommendations saying the 6D is not meant for sports to talk me out of it.

Applied part of the savings from not getting the 6D (or the 7D2), and bought the 24-105L, so I have a walk around lens when I do make that jump to FF.

JDeluis

If you're not shooting sports or wildlife, 6D is a good choice. I'm actually looking into getting a 5D now that they are around $400. But just bought a gopro, so that will have to wait.

If you're not shooting sports or wildlife, 6D is a good choice. I'm actually looking into getting a 5D now that they are around $400. But just bought a gopro, so that will have to wait.

Mine is for portrait work and travel photography. I really want the 5D Mk. III, but I can't afford that price, haha.
The original 5D is an excellent choice. :)

Aurongel

Be sure to tell us how you like the 70D, I wanted to pull the trigger on it myself on black friday. Unfortunately for me I've run into financial troubles so I have to put all my gear plans on hold for a long time. It's a shame too because it would have really helped with my portrait work.

Flo_Evans

Anyone built a drone yet?

s81bUvO.jpg

Here is mine in action - DJI F450.

Repgnar

Hey guys, got a question about purchasing a DSLR for the first time. I'm able to spend 400--600, the closer to 400 the better but willing to spend closer to 600 if the difference is warranted. I've been looking into it for a few days and i'm currently looking at three cameras. The Nikon D3300, Pentax K-50, and the Canon Rebel SL1. From what i've researched these seem to fit my price range and are considered pretty solid starting cameras. Any suggestions on these or even other cameras?

BJK

Hey guys, got a question about purchasing a DSLR for the first time. I'm able to spend 400--600, the closer to 400 the better but willing to spend closer to 600 if the difference is warranted. I've been looking into it for a few days and i'm currently looking at three cameras. The Nikon D3300, Pentax K-50, and the Canon Rebel SL1. From what i've researched these seem to fit my price range and are considered pretty solid starting cameras. Any suggestions on these or even other cameras?

Can't really talk about the difference between the 3, but I know you can buy the Refurb SL1 with 18-55 STM lens for $359 right now.

RuGalz

I'd take K50 over any other easily. Weather sealing (although lenses have to be sealed too), twin dial and pentaprism view finder makes huge differences. You might also be able to find K30 for a bit cheaper.

alterno69

Banned
I-m still waiting for impressions on the D750 from you guys come on. Should have mine in a couple of weeks tops, along with a Sigma 35mm and 85mm

So I posted a while back asking about the Canon 50mm 1.4 USM.

I've been reading up a bit and a few things worry me:

1) Apparently it's quite an old lens design without a recent update... and it shows it's age in terms of durability after a lot of use.
2) on APS-C cameras (on which I believe my 550D is one), the image is cropped due to the body limitations, so buying a 50mm lens is a little counter productive?

Could anyone clear these up for me? I'm really interested in a good quality lens that's capable of providing good soft backgrounds/has macro ability.

You guys have been really helpful so far, and you've done a great job and narrowing my choice down... just a little more to go before I settle on my new lens!

Ty4on

Übermatik;142572658 said:
Could anyone clear these up for me? I'm really interested in a good quality lens that's capable of providing good soft backgrounds/has macro ability.

You guys have been really helpful so far, and you've done a great job and narrowing my choice down... just a little more to go before I settle on my new lens!
Crop means you only get the center portion. A lens focuses a circle of light and the sensor or film captures a rectangular part of that sphere. A smaller sensor captures a smaller part. If you where to crop the center portion with a high res, full frame camera you'd get the same image.
crop-factor-sensor-size.jpg

The downside is soft lenses get softer (because you're cropping), but the upside is the extreme edges that can be nasty on some lenses are cut and it helps to give you more reach.
That image is a bit deceiving though. There is no perfect circle the 35mm frame fits perfectly within and sharp lenses can get more detailed captured on APS-C cameras with smaller pixels. It is also pointless to focus on that, focus on the best lens for your camera and not what it would do on a different camera.

The 50mm will on a crop Canon give the same field of view that an 80mm lens would get on a full frame Canon and being f1.4 it would have the same depth of field as an f2.24 lens (both were multiplied by the crop factor of 1.6). Therefore it will produce an equivalent image to a 80mm f2.24 lens on a full frame body. This is a popular focal length for portrait, but quite narrow for regular photography.

Regarding the 50 f1.4 it is known to not be the sharpest lens out there and the 50mm f1.8 is much, much cheaper and almost the same performance. Build quality is quite cheap, but it is 100$ lens...

If you want something wider Canon just released the 24mm f2.8 pancake lens. It is slow, so not much bokeh, but the focal length is more versatile. It is not full frame compatible though.

Edit: Sorry for rambling about stuff you already knew :p

Right, interesting to know! I'm limited to around £200-300, and I've just check up on the 50mm 2.5 Macro... any thoughts? I'm ideally looking for a lens that does something a bit different...

Flo_Evans

Übermatik;142572658 said:
So I posted a while back asking about the Canon 50mm 1.4 USM.

I've been reading up a bit and a few things worry me:

1) Apparently it's quite an old lens design without a recent update... and it shows it's age in terms of durability after a lot of use.
2) on APS-C cameras (on which I believe my 550D is one), the image is cropped due to the body limitations, so buying a 50mm lens is a little counter productive?

I wouldn't worry to much about an "old" lens design. Pretty much every 50mm is a zeiss planar designed in 1896. The only thing new is the glass is ground by machines and lens coatings are better now.

That said I have always found the build quality on lower end canon lenses dodgy. They are generally cheaper than nikon equivalents for a reason...

I also wouldn't recommend a 40mm macro even on a crop body, if you want to get true 1:1 close focus 40mm doesn't leave much working room, look for a 60mm+ macro lens.

Ty4on

I wouldn't worry to much about an "old" lens design. Pretty much every 50mm is a zeiss planar designed in 1896. The only thing new is the glass is ground by machines and lens coatings are better now.

That's why the Otus and FE 55mm are so much sharper than the competition.

Ty4on

I played with the A7r and the FE 55mm in the camera shop today... freakin sweet combo there.
Yeah. Had I been rich I would have gotten an A7 and the 35 and 55mm. The files are just gorgeous at 100% and the lenses are so tiny.

Excellent value too when the competition is Leica :p

Recently sold all my DSLR gear. Thinking of getting a camera like the x100s, but then I see the x100t is out.

Whats the word on the latest from fuji?

RuGalz

I think they had to cut some corners to keep the prices down. The vignetting on the 35 makes you wonder if noisier corners or less sharp corners is more bothersome. 1.6 stops after correction is pretty big at f8.

Flo_Evans

Yeah. Had I been rich I would have gotten an A7 and the 35 and 55mm. The files are just gorgeous at 100% and the lenses are so tiny.

Excellent value too when the competition is Leica :p

If I didn't already have a D810 that would be my camera. Best EVF on a mirrorless I have seen so far. I just ordered a new external raid and an atomos ninja blade external monitor/ssd recorder so I am probably not going to get another body anytime soon.

Okay, good info so far... how would any of you compare the 50mm 1.8 to the 85mm 1.8? Any critical differences that should make me consider one over the other?

Radec

Übermatik;142613284 said:
Okay, good info so far... how would any of you compare the 50mm 1.8 to the 85mm 1.8? Any critical differences that should make me consider one over the other?

Just the focal length difference.

Which results into differences in bokeh.

85 is pretty tight though, especially on aps-c

Fujifilm Nutura Classica are (were?) last batch of 35mm film fixed lens camera (P&S if you will) in production. You can find them on ebay.

fujifilm still makes at least one klasse model. i'll get one one day!

i have a natura classica though, it's pretty great. unreal in low light with natura 1600 film.

Alright then, I've settled on a lens, now the trouble of manufacturer... Thanks to all that have helped me so far, just one more push to go before I buy.

Canon 50mm 1.4
or
Sigma 50mm 1.4 (NOT the 'Art' version... this one seems more expensive)

Both seem at the same price point, yet I've seen mixed decisions about both.
In general (and this is a vague conclusion), it seems the Canon offers better bokeh but isn't built as well, and the Sigma offers sharper images but sometimes gives mixed result, especially when trying to focus.
I'm honestly not sure which I should go for. Some shout Sigma as being superior and ahead of the Canon, especially because of it's newer design, but then others say they have run into problems with the lens and it's performance, and that the bokeh is disappointing.

Hoping to settle this once and for all soon. Any help appreciated!

Gila

Übermatik;142748086 said:
Alright then, I've settled on a lens, now the trouble of manufacturer... Thanks to all that have helped me so far, just one more push to go before I buy.

Canon 50mm 1.4
or
Sigma 50mm 1.4 (NOT the 'Art' version... this one seems more expensive)

Both seem at the same price point, yet I've seen mixed decisions about both.
In general (and this is a vague conclusion), it seems the Canon offers better bokeh but isn't built as well, and the Sigma offers sharper images but sometimes gives mixed result, especially when trying to focus.
I'm honestly not sure which I should go for. Some shout Sigma as being superior and ahead of the Canon, especially because of it's newer design, but then others say they have run into problems with the lens and it's performance, and that the bokeh is disappointing.

Hoping to settle this once and for all soon. Any help appreciated!

Weird, I like Sigma's build quality and their bokeh

I say go for them but one thing you might want to consider is resale value unless you don't care about that. Canon will likely retain more depending on your care.

mrkgoo

I've had the 50 mm f/1.8, the 50mm f/1.4, EF-S 60mm Macro, EF-40mm f/2.8 and the 85 mm f/1.8.

The sharpest was probably the 60 mm macro, but these days I'm beyond caring about sharpness any more.

I've been using the 50 mm f/1.4 the most. Unfair though, because my 60 mm and 85 mm were stolen.

Radec

I've had the 50 mm f/1.8, the 50mm f/1.4, EF-S 60mm Macro, EF-40mm f/2.8 and the 85 mm f/1.8.

The sharpest was probably the 60 mm macro, but these days I'm beyond caring about sharpness any more.

I've been using the 50 mm f/1.4 the most. Unfair though, because my 60 mm and 85 mm were stolen.

Those macro primes are really sharp.

My old ass Nikkor 60mm f/2.8 Macro is as sharp as my previous Nikkor 50mm 1.8G.

It's heavier though and slower.

Weird, I like Sigma's build quality and their bokeh

I say go for them but one thing you might want to consider is resale value unless you don't care about that. Canon will likely retain more depending on your care.

But which one!? :D That's my question, Sigma or Canon? And I'm not bothered about resale at all really.

Good to know, thank-you!

Gila

Übermatik;142805923 said:
But which one!? :D That's my question, Sigma or Canon? And I'm not bothered about resale at all really.

Sigma

If all else fails, just rent both for fairly cheap and test it yourself.

Donos

Sold the D5000 (+kit lens) with tons of extras on ebay... 200 € lol. The Sigma 18-200 lens is going to sell for 75% of that (i expect 150 € +/- 10€). Extras mean shit, no matter how much it is (except extra lenses) .Well, my mother expected around around 350 € for everything together but i had really higher hopes. Going to give here the money and eat the ebay fees since i made her hope for more $$$. At least she gets a bit of cash.
The cam was going to rot in her closet since she bought a RX100 MKII. Had to persuate her really hard to sell it (let me sell it). She hasn't shot a picture with it for over 2 years.

It's also funny to see the difference how much people bid more when there is still a bit of warranty left for the same body.("if the cam comes in broken, i can at least get it fixed lol")

leng jai

The A7 looks to be extremely cheap here right now, $1045 AUD with 28-70mm lense kit and metabones adapter. Anyone got any thoughts on the A7? I've read some negative opinions on the build quality and the shutter being loud, but that's about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom