• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Camera Equipment Megathread

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZeroX03

Banned
Any good bag/case recommendations for a DSLR? Looking for something shoulder more than backpack or hand carried. Needs to fit a body, 3 lenses, spare battery and SD card and maybe flash. Been watching Amazon's Black Friday sale and hoping a great deal will appear.

Radec

I love everything This guys make, so stylish and pretty. Very functional too.

lima_strap_smoke_590x420_1.jpg

damn..

I wonder if it fits my a6000.

nitewulf

It's as if Sony went into my mind and created that camera knowing I can't afford it :(
are you actually missing anything though? their lens selection is absolute shit, i mean steaming pile of utter shit, and has been for years. you don't take pictures only with a body. fucking sony, what a bunch of absolute morons...just give me two fucking fast primes. bloody idiots.

sankt-Antonio

:^)--?-<
Don't know why, but i kind of knew the A7II would happen since the A7 was so undesirable next to the A7s/r. Ill ether get the A9 (depending on what it actually becomes) or a A7sII.

Radec

are you actually missing anything though? their lens selection is absolute shit, i mean steaming pile of utter shit, and has been for years. you don't take pictures only with a body. fucking sony, what a bunch of absolute morons...just give me two fucking fast primes. bloody idiots.

So mad.

lol.

Do you even know when they introduced first the FE lineup?

Its barely a year old.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick

What Radec said, in fact you get the choice of Zeiss FE (which has autofocus) and are primes or their native e-mount manual offerings (which are optically similar to their rangefinder lenses)

Tonza

Sold my 5D mark II with a couple of cheap lenses and went mirrorless. I wasn't really taking the 5D with me anywhere as it was too cumbersome.

Anyways, here is my new set: (sorry about the image quality, taken with a Nexus 5)

eCa1BB3.jpg

a6000 kit and the Zeiss 32mm/f1.8 and 12mm/f2.8.
Can't wait to test those Zeiss lenses.

Never followed up on this. I was going to post example shots but never got around to it.
I have been quite pleased with the combo. The image quality is generally as good as on
the 5d mkII

Anyways, here are couple of shots take with the a6000.

One of the first photos I took with the Zeiss 32mm/f1.8. Taken at ISO 800.
I really like details even though you can see some loss with the noise reduction I used in LR. Out of focus parts are quite nice on the lens.

Another with the same lens. This one taken at ISO 320. Sharpness and details are great here.

This is an example of a close-up with the 12mm. You can see some distortion which is to be expected at the focal length.

A wider shot wider shot with the 32mm. I did edit the colors quite heavily on LR.

A landscape shot with the 12mm.

There are more in my flickr account if anyone is interested. Though I have been a bit too lazy in editing my photos and uploading them.

hitsugi

They are actually not very expensive compare to rest of the Zeiss FF lens.

Cost is always a relative thing. For me, personally, $720 for a 32mm 1.8 lens will never be in my budget. Even Sony's 35mm 1.8 @ $450 is a bit rough, but I'm strongly considering it after using the Sigma 30mm 2.8 for a while.. then again, I use a NEX-3N so perhaps I should be looking to upgrade the camera itself.

Cost is always a relative thing. For me, personally, $720 for a 32mm 1.8 lens will never be in my budget. Even Sony's 35mm 1.8 @ $450 is a bit rough, but I'm strongly considering it after using the Sigma 30mm 2.8 for a while.. then again, I use a NEX-3N so perhaps I should be looking to upgrade the camera itself.

With 450 you can get a fuji 35mm 1.4. Zeiss had a deal early this year you could get both 32mm and 12mm for $920

They are actually not very expensive compare to rest of the Zeiss FF lens.

Zeiss hands down makes the best lenses for 35mm and crop.

The Contax G2 lenses are god tier.

I want a Mamiya 7ii and a couple of it's primes so badly. Also wouldn't mind playing around with a couple 35mm film point and shoots and those fuji medium format point and shoots.

nitewulf

dont mind me, i was a bit typsy, its a great body...just from the APC Nex bodies to this...the sony lens selection always bugged me.

That's the whole point of having it in body...every single lens will benefit from it. Personally I won't buy a camera without IBIS again.

Its not as effective as in-lens IS. Plus you don't usually get IS in preview and video.

This debate is 10 years old, at least.

RuGalz

Its not as effective as in-lens IS. Plus you don't usually get IS in preview and video.

This debate is 10 years old, at least.

I don't care about previews as long as my photos turn out fine. I'm fairly sure in case of Olympus they do apply IBIS to video (and preview?), but personally I don't care about video. It's not as effective for really long lenses but far far far better than having nothing. People who like to argue against it usually don't use it on regular basis and like to talk about theories. I have plenty of 135-150mm shot at 1/15 that wouldn't be clear if it wasn't for IBIS. Besides, having IBIS doesn't mean you have to stop using lenses with IS built in. If the lens is more effective, turn off IBIS. It's a decade old debate that makes absolutely no sense to me.

I don't care about previews as long as my photos turn out fine. I'm fairly sure in case of Olympus they do apply IBIS to video (and preview?), but personally I don't care about video. It's not as effective for really long lenses but far far far better than having nothing. People who like to argue against it usually don't use it on regular basis and like to talk about theories. I have plenty of 135-150mm shot at 1/15 that wouldn't be clear if it wasn't for IBIS. Besides, having IBIS doesn't mean you have to stop using lenses with IS built in. If the lens is more effective, turn off IBIS. It's a decade old debate that makes absolutely no sense to me.

Are you using m43? If you are you have the option to try body in body IS and lens IS and compare them yourself.

RuGalz

Are you using m43? If you are you have the option to try body in body IS and lens IS and compare them yourself.

I have tried it with my friend's m43. I have compared it with my own Pentax camera using IBIS and with Sigma's lens with IS. Like I said, there are advantages to both. Why don't you want the option? Why do I want to give up IS for my legacy lenses or my tiny pancake lenses when I have a choice? I'm more than happy to take 2-3 stops of effectiveness than having none.

I have tried it with my friend's m43. I have compared it with my own Pentax camera using IBIS and with Sigma's lens with IS. Like I said, there are advantages to both. Why don't you want the option? Why do I want to give up IS for my legacy lenses or my tiny pancake lenses when I have a choice? I'm more than happy to take 2-3 stops of effectiveness than having none.

Well I didn't say I don't want the option. I am saying I don't want to sacrifice the body thickness for IS, especially for mirrorless bodies.

I have 5 lens and the 2 zoom lens have IS. I only really appreciate IS in the tele lens. I don't think its all that useful in the standard zoom.

I don't shoot manual lens re since its MF focus takes up too much time. I think IS is like focus peaking. You really want it when you don't have it, but its not that important when you finally have it.

RuGalz

I think IS is like focus peaking. You really want it when you don't have it, but its not that important when you finally have it.

IBIS is one of those things where if you are used of having it, taking it away makes a huge difference. (i.e. being able to keep ISO at 3200 or lower instead of all the way up to 12800? big difference) Maybe your style of shooting doesn't benefit from it but from what I have seen among friends and people in workshops, most can benefit from it even on short end of lenses.

As for additional thickness on A7II, I'm glad it's thicker. I hate thin cameras that I end up having to spend more money to add a grip. FE lenses are not going to be small, small body simply doesn't balance well.

taylor910

I had 2 week old alkaline batteries explode in both of my SB700 flashes. I tried cleaning with vinegar but no dice.

Anyone know a good place to send them for repair?

Ty4on

When I travel with family I have to take zooms and maybe 1 prime. Show me f2.8 zoom in standard range that is small...

Is there any F2.8 35mm EQ. standard zoom that is small? The smallest I know of is the Minolta 28-75 f2.8 at 510 grams, but then you need the autofocus adapter:
4209658148_c398cc7604_b.jpg

When I travel with family I have to take zooms and maybe 1 prime. Show me f2.8 zoom in standard range that is small...

Tried it, don't like it on my Fuji.

You just reminded me I need another thumb rest. I went to ebay and discovered they now sell a "hotshoe thumb rest" so you can mount a mike or flash on top of it. Ordered.

$_57.JPG

RuGalz

you take multiple zooms?

I think the point of a zoom lens is so you only have to carry one lens and that is the one on the camera.

I shoot wild life too, so yes, often I have to take the longer zoom (or longer prime) as well, depends on the destination obviously.

Is there any F2.8 35mm EQ. standard zoom that is small?

Well that was my point. The lenses are so big that extra thickness added to A7II to compensate for IBIS really doesn't mean much.

Ty4on

Well that was my point. The lenses are so big that extra thickness added to A7II to compensate for IBIS really doesn't mean much.
You didn't answer my question :p

Lenses like that do not exist on any system. You have to compromise like with the 35mm I showed you or the 28-70 kit lens which is great value and similar in size to comparable mirrorless lenses.

RuGalz

You didn't answer my question :p

Lenses like that do not exist on any system. You have to compromise like with the 35mm I showed you or the 28-70 kit lens which is great value and similar in size to comparable mirrorless lenses.

I wasn't sure what point you were trying to get to because it seemed like a rhetorical question, because we know there's no such thing as small constant f2.8 standard zoom lens unless you go m43 or smaller sensors. My point still stand that over miniaturization of camera body doesn't make it ergonomically great.

Ty4on

I wasn't sure what point you were trying to get to because it seemed like a rhetorical question, because we know there's no such thing as small constant f2.8 standard zoom lens unless you go m43 or smaller sensors. My point still stand that over miniaturization of camera body doesn't make it ergonomically great.
Sorry, I read it as if FE lenses where inherently big.

Aurongel

So mad.

lol.

Do you even know when they introduced first the FE lineup?

Its barely a year old.

He was being a little sensationalist but I see his point. We're roughly a year into Sony's full frame mirrorless lineup and we already have half as many bodies as we do native FE lenses. Historically speaking, that imbalance is really odd. If the flange distance didn't make it so easy to mount manual lenses to it then this could be a much bigger problem for them. Good glass will come in time I'm sure but I'd like to see Sony put as much effort forward in their lens selection as they do in their crazy sensor advancements.

Radec

So.. I just saw an ad of an FE55F18 ZA for about $780 brand new.
I contacted the guy first thing in the morning and it was already reserved to someone.
:/

He was being a little sensationalist but I see his point. We're roughly a year into Sony's full frame mirrorless lineup and we already have half as many bodies as we do native FE lenses. Historically speaking, that imbalance is really odd. If the flange distance didn't make it so easy to mount manual lenses to it then this could be a much bigger problem for them. Good glass will come in time I'm sure but I'd like to see Sony put as much effort forward in their lens selection as they do in their crazy sensor advancements.

They are a camera/sensor maker first than a lens maker. I can see why they can release more body than lenses. But then Sony is outproducing Nikon and Canon with regards to full-frame lenses on the same timeframe.

Here's they're roadmap for the FE lenses.
Bildschirmfoto-2014-11-25-um-20.47.57.png

If anyone was wondering about my focusing issue on my Sigma 18-35 f/1.8...

I called Sigma, they said that they could calibrate the lens focus for me for free. Apparently the lens comes with 2 years of focusing service in the warranty, that's nice.

Sent it to them on Saturday, got it back on Tuesday. Really fast turnaround, props to Sigma. It now focuses perfectly and is INSANELY SHARP at all focal lengths. This lens is spectacular.

I'm going to the Maldives next week so I'm super pumped to take some beautiful shots with this thing. So good.

wihio

I have been wanting to jump a little further into digital photography for a while. I had my eyes and heart set on a d90 years ago, a d7000, and most recently a d7100, but could never pull the trigger.

Yesterday I pulled the trigger on a Sony a6000, 16-50 kit lens, 55-210, and 35 prime. All for less than what I expected to spend on one of those nikon's. I initially had a hard time walking away from years of thought, research, and expectation regarding Nikon DSLRs, but the price, size, and features all pushed me toward mirrorless.

I am excited to begin this journey...

Now I will spend all my time researching, buying and selling lenses, I guess!

Groof

Snagged an EVF for my NEX-5R for 70% off last night here in Sweden. Seems like they wanted to get rid of stock. Excited for it to arrive, this'll surely make sticking with this body longer easier, as the only thing I was missing was a viewfinder.

Aurongel

If anyone was wondering about my focusing issue on my Sigma 18-35 f/1.8...

I called Sigma, they said that they could calibrate the lens focus for me for free. Apparently the lens comes with 2 years of focusing service in the warranty, that's nice.

Sent it to them on Saturday, got it back on Tuesday. Really fast turnaround, props to Sigma. It now focuses perfectly and is INSANELY SHARP at all focal lengths. This lens is spectacular.

I'm going to the Maldives next week so I'm super pumped to take some beautiful shots with this thing. So good.

You can also change the AF microadjustments yourself if you buy the fancypants electronic rear lens cap from Sigma. I wish I did that myself before I took it on a trip with me to the mountains a month ago, half my shots came out slightly front-focused :[

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom