• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Camera Equipment Megathread

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you don't have enough for full frame and generally shoot portraits, I'd stick with the 60D over the 7D. Most of the improvements in the 7D are the metal construction, improved AF for shooting action and the drive speed. Most of those improvements would benefit you more if you shot sports or high speed photography in a demanding environment. The high ISO isn't improved much and the only thing the 7D has over the 60D when it comes to portraits is a 100% coverage viewfinder in my opinion.

I also shoot portraits for work and I've had about 2 years experience with the 60D and 7 months with the 7D. If you're a portrait guy like me, I'd go with the 60D and invest the extra savings on lighting equipment for portraiture.

Thank you so much for the feedback! I had a feeling that was the way to go since the only real difference were the AF points, the viewfinder coverage, the drive speed and the weather-proofed body. I don't shoot sports, but every once in a while, I will take pictures of dogs at the dog park, but I was able to get crystal-clear images with the 60D, so I'm all good. I am going on a backpacking trip around Europe and other areas soon and running a blog for it, so just portraits and travel photography for me (Street photography included).

I got my Canon 50 mm 1.8 Monday after Amazon screwed up and my shipment got delay from Friday. This thing is amazing for its value. And don't even get me started on the video capabilities of this thing. I cannot wait to put it to the test.

Good thing I'm flying to Bruges tomorrow! Gonna have plenty of time to get used to this new lens.

Hopefully I can show some usable shots when I come back.

Here is something I did with my 50mm 1.8 earlier this year: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R_nkEQ5mfXI

DBT85

It might be too early to say, but have you found it a worthy improvement over the D600/610? Just trying to weigh my options before I make the move to full frame myself in about a year or so. Also, do you have a Flickr/500px account you upload your work to?

I've not even held a D600/610 so I can't really judge specifically against that.

Every review out says spend the extra for the D750, several very high profile wedding photographers are either dropping old D3s cameras or even Canon 5DIII cameras to shoot on the D750, it's doing that well.

Pro wedding photographers review (best UK wedding photographer 2013 & 2014) goes from D3s to D750
http://www.rossharvey.com/reviews/nikon-d750-review

Gabe McClintock (a top Canadian wedding photographer) also just bought a D750 and is selling all his Canon gear which apparently is going to drive other Canon shooters toward the D750 too (no idea about this personally)

They all seem to love the fast AF, the ability of focus in very very dim settings, great ISO performance at 12,800, dynamic range etc.

For me, all I can say so far is that it feels great in the hand, the grip is excellent and much deeper than any other camera I've held (not held anything that cost over (£1000 new).

From my very early looks at some pics snapped around the house in the last few days (been busy) the ISO noise at 12,800 really is excellent and certainly colour noise clears away with just a minimal adjustment in Lightroom. AF is incredibly fast with my 70-200mm 2.8, quite literally as soon as I've touched the button it's locked.

Needless to say, it's proving very popular.

My Flickr is here but as yet I've not put anything up from the D750. That'll not come for a week or so minimum as I'm now at work for 4 days doing 12 hour shifts!

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Those reviews are looking pretty good for the D750. Reminds me of the blown minds when the D3 first came out and ISO 3200 looked amazing.

MRORANGE

I want to use a camera to speed up taking scans of documents, as manually having to scan in documents is time consuming. I want to use a overhead tripod that takes a picture (ir remote) from above, that way I can take a photo's of each document without having to scan each one in.

Anyone know the best tripod to take birds eye shots from a fixed height?

I want to use a camera to speed up taking scans of documents, as manually having to scan in documents is time consuming. I want to use a overhead tripod that takes a picture (ir remote) from above, that way I can take a photo's of each document without having to scan each one in.

Anyone know the best tripod to take birds eye shots from a fixed height?

You can use any tripod. The document doesn't need to lay flat. It can be on an angle. Just make the color tempature right, and get a remote trigger or app.

Radec

ok.. so someone I know is selling a brand new Sony A7s for just $1,900.

Fuck.

I can buy this, but I won't have any extra $$$ for an FE Lens.
LLShC.gif
LLShC.gif

leng jai

Did anyone upgrade from the RX100 M2 to the M3? Found a decent deal for one and am tempted by the new lense and EVF. Don't use zoom much so the concession there doesn't bother me either.

Worthwhile?

Ordered my Sigma 18-35mm f/1.8. I held out for a long time under the impression that I would either switch to Fuji-x or get a full frame camera but I've come to terms with the fact that neither of those make sense for me right now. Anyway, can't wait.

hitsugi

There are some insane deals going on right now for the A6000.. there was an A7R going for like $1300 but that one died out. They're on slickdeals.

Ty4on

I figured this was sort of camera related. Android 5.0 has finally given us manual camera control and also supports raw output. If you want to check it out here's a raw file from the Nexus 5. At auto the settings were ISO 1600, but he manually forced it down to ISO 100 and with a 1/2s exposure.
You can see the several examples in his album here.

I was really surprised at the exposure latitude and that my biggest issue wasn't noise, but rather hot pixels everywhere that my cheapo RAW processor couldn't handle without a dark frame. NR seemed to amplify them by removing all the detail around them. It might have helped after processing which made it much better than my preview window where they were visible at 33% size.
I spend ages removing the hot pixels with the healing tool only to realize the processed file I was working with was way too green and any color correction made it far too noisy. Here is what I got without any noise reduction (other than processing and blending the color channels which seemed to help with the worst of the hot pixels) and low contrast to show off the dynamic range.

alterno69

Banned
I've not even held a D600/610 so I can't really judge specifically against that.

Every review out says spend the extra for the D750, several very high profile wedding photographers are either dropping old D3s cameras or even Canon 5DIII cameras to shoot on the D750, it's doing that well.

Pro wedding photographers review (best UK wedding photographer 2013 & 2014) goes from D3s to D750
http://www.rossharvey.com/reviews/nikon-d750-review

Gabe McClintock (a top Canadian wedding photographer) also just bought a D750 and is selling all his Canon gear which apparently is going to drive other Canon shooters toward the D750 too (no idea about this personally)

They all seem to love the fast AF, the ability of focus in very very dim settings, great ISO performance at 12,800, dynamic range etc.

For me, all I can say so far is that it feels great in the hand, the grip is excellent and much deeper than any other camera I've held (not held anything that cost over (£1000 new).

From my very early looks at some pics snapped around the house in the last few days (been busy) the ISO noise at 12,800 really is excellent and certainly colour noise clears away with just a minimal adjustment in Lightroom. AF is incredibly fast with my 70-200mm 2.8, quite literally as soon as I've touched the button it's locked.

Needless to say, it's proving very popular.

My Flickr is here but as yet I've not put anything up from the D750. That'll not come for a week or so minimum as I'm now at work for 4 days doing 12 hour shifts!

I'm really considering selling my two 5d Mark III and getting a couple of these, seems like an amazing camera for the price, i'd even have money left to buy an extra lens and keep my exact same kits.

Aurongel

I'm really considering selling my two 5d Mark III and getting a couple of these, seems like an amazing camera for the price, i'd even have money left to buy an extra lens and keep my exact same kits.

Rumors are starting to circulate about Canon announcing two new FF bodies in Q1 2014 so I'd wait a bit and see how their upcoming offerings shake up.

How do you guys store your equipment for later use? I have a few old cameras and lenses that Im proably going to have to store. My backpack is getting a little full

Ty4on

Rumors are starting to circulate about Canon announcing two new FF bodies in Q1 2014 so I'd wait a bit and see how their upcoming offerings shake up.

Wouldn't it be better to sell it now before the value is halved? :p

I might be wrong, but I'm amazed at how cheap older 5Ds are. I've found tons of 5D mkII for the same or cheaper than a high-ish end APS-C cameras (D7100, 7d classic and K3) and the 5D classic is less than half the price. Sure the mkII doesn't have the best autofocus in the world, but it still has good noise performance and shoots great video.

alterno69

Banned
Wouldn't it be better to sell it now before the value is halved? :p

I might be wrong, but I'm amazed at how cheap older 5Ds are. I've found tons of 5D mkII for the same or cheaper than a high-ish end APS-C cameras (D7100, 7d classic and K3) and the 5D classic is less than half the price. Sure the mkII doesn't have the best autofocus in the world, but it still has good noise performance and shoots great video.

Good point, like i said, here in Mexico i can sell each Mk III boday at around 3k used, which is money anough to buy one D750 and a speedlite.

I would also be selling my Canon glass and speedlight, but all in all i should end up with extra money after buying the Nikon equivalent of all my gear.

Ty4on

I would also be selling my Canon glass and speedlight, but all in all i should end up with extra money after buying the Nikon equivalent of all my gear.

It goes without saying, but do check if you have Nikon equivalents. I'm not a photographer so I haven't had it happened to me, but I have heard of many not finding the glass they loved on Canon for Nikon and vice versa. Most know Nikon has a better sensor, but they need Canon glass.

Got my Sigma 18-35mm today. I've been shooting with long primes only for a few years so having a fast wide zoom is just plain fun. And is it ever sharp. Stellar build quality, too. Best piece of gear I've ever owned.

Gila

Got my Sigma 18-35mm today. I've been shooting with long primes only for a few years so having a fast wide zoom is just plain fun. And is it ever sharp. Stellar build quality, too. Best piece of gear I've ever owned.

Funny, I literally just recieved my Sigma 24-70 2.8 and I was in the same boat with prime's and this zoom feels wonderful (it's not even that heavy)

RuGalz

Rumor A7II is going to be announced with IBIS... now that piqued my interest a bit...

Will wait for at least A7III though the rate Sony releases new bodies.

Read more on PhotoRumors.com: http://photorumors.com/2014/11/19/n...unced-in-the-next-few-days/#ixzz3JX5szVca35mm full frame Exmor CMOS sensor with 24.3MP resolution
5 axis in-body stabilization
LCD screen: 3.0", 1.23 million dots, 107 degrees upward, 41 degrees down tiltable
EVF 0.5" with 2.36 million dots
ISO range: 100-25,600 (ISO50 available). Video ISO rangeL 200-25,600
Shutter speed: 30 seconds -1/8000 seconds
The shape of the grip and position of the shutter button is changed
Battery capacity: 270 shots when using EVF, 350 shots when using LCD screen
Continuous shooting: 2.5 fps, 5 fps with speed-priority continuous shooting
Video: XAVC S, AVCHD, MP4
Battery: NP-FW50
Size: 126.9mm x 95.7mm x 59.7mm
Weight: 599g (including battery and memory card)
New vertical grip VG -C2EM (sold separately) with two NP-FW50 batteries
Media: Memory Stick PRO Duo / PRO-HG Duo / XC-HG Duo, SD / SDHC / SDXC (UHS-I compatible)

Doc Holliday

SPOILER: Columbus finds America
So fuijifilm x100t or x100s? They seem to still be about the same price...

If you can get an x100s for a lot cheaper than the x100t, go for it. Not enough of a difference to justify the money imo. Same sensor, and same lens, the the hybrid viewfinder and usability improvements seem substantial though.

Ty4on

Rumor A7II is going to be announced with IBIS... now that piqued my interest a bit...

Interesting considering no emount camera has IBIS. It would be awesome, but I really struggle to see how they could fit it. The new LCD makes sense, same panel new Nikons use with four subpixels (RGBW) hence the increase in "dots". Actual resolution isn't changed.

If they go for IBIS that might piss off a lot of A7/A7R/A7S owners if they stop making FE lenses with OSS. Maybe a hybrid system which uses both forms of stabilization? Stabilizing rotation for instance is impossible with lens stabilization. Either way I think it could have a serious impact (halving) on the resale value if the new models are the same price.

Deku Tree

If you can get an x100s for a lot cheaper than the x100t, go for it. Not enough of a difference to justify the money imo. Same sensor, and same lens, the the hybrid viewfinder and usability improvements seem substantial though.

Thanks! So far most places haven't seemed to discount the x100s too much as far as I have seen.

RuGalz

Interesting considering no emount camera has IBIS. It would be awesome, but I really struggle to see how they could fit it. The new LCD makes sense, same panel new Nikons use with four subpixels (RGBW) hence the increase in "dots". Actual resolution isn't changed.

If they go for IBIS that might piss off a lot of A7/A7R/A7S owners if they stop making FE lenses with OSS. Maybe a hybrid system which uses both forms of stabilization? Stabilizing rotation for instance is impossible with lens stabilization. Either way I think it could have a serious impact (halving) on the resale value if the new models are the same price.

I think they will keep A7 around with A7II being more expensive and release more none OSS lenses alongside of OSS lenses. Canikons have both version of lenses throughout their line. Sony will probably do the same just to cover the ground. People who bought A7 to adapt their lenses will be more than happy to upgrade probably.

Radec

since the a7s will make me eat like a poor man for a month, I just decided to dump my nex7 and get an a6000 + 35/1,8 instead.

dBplBvq.jpg

Got both for like $780

I love this combo..
d6QxSEc.jpg

Fireblend

Banned
since the a7s will make me eat like a poor man for a month, I just decided to dump my nex7 and get an a6000 + 35/1,8 instead.

http://i.imgur.com/dBplBvq.jpg[/MG]

Got both for like $780

I love this combo..
[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/d6QxSEc.jpg[/MG][/QUOTE]
Haha, I just got that same combo last week, although for just a bit more... Really enjoying it too :D

[quote][img]http://i.imgur.com/XOIqBi3.jpg

I'm a bit disappointed. My sigma 18-35mm seems to not want to autofocus to infinity. It always focuses a little bit closer than infinity when using autofocus, and it's very noticeable when I look at the images. Setting to manual and finding infinity and just leaving it there produces wonderfully sharp images but autofocus only seems to hit on things closer than 2 meters.

What should I do? Is my lens faulty? Do I need to buy that sigma usb dock thing? I'd rather not spend any more money right now.

edit: It can find infinity when using live view, but not when I'm using the viewfinder. What does it mean?

edit2: Found that this is a common problem with my body apparently. Needs to be professionally calibrated? Ugh, headache.

Ty4on

edit: It can find infinity when using live view, but not when I'm using the viewfinder. What does it mean?

edit2: Found that this is a common problem with my body apparently. Needs to be professionally calibrated? Ugh, headache.
Lens autofocus issues are bizarre things. I believe the reason is the camera body doesn't focus the lens until everything is in perfect focus, but to be as quick as possible it sees that the image is x out of focus and tells the lend to to focus to x. The issue arrive when the lens focuses just shy of x...
In live view the camera uses contrast detect autofocus which is slow, but doesn't stop until the picture is sharp.

You sould be able to get it fixed by sigma. I believe they should be able to fix that. If your camera has autofocus fine tuning settings you could try changing them.

Edit: If it's body related then that really sucks, but has to be done otherwise all your images will be out of focus.

Yeah I will call Sigma in the morning. I am taking a major trip next week and was hoping to have this lens for that time so I don't want to send it in right now. I'll talk to them and see if I should try my luck with the dock or not.

Ty4on

Yeah I will call Sigma in the morning. I am taking a major trip next week and was hoping to have this lens for that time so I don't want to send it in right now. I'll talk to them and see if I should try my luck with the dock or not.

If it is a camera issue then that won't fix much. Check your other lenses wide open and see if the same happens. Use live view as a control.
Simplified schematic:
126246647.7khfJAt6.Fig4.jpg

As you can see the autofocus module is a seperate part and if all your lenses are out of focus chances are there is something wrong with that. That part has to be perfectly aligned and it's most likely just simple alignment, but could also be a common issue with the camera. Early Nikon D800s for instance had tons of issues with the autofocus system.

Ty4on

It's as if Sony went into my mind and created that camera knowing I can't afford it :(
With peeking and IBIS it's the perfect camera for vintage glass as long as you don't get sensor reflections or color shifts.

No pricing, but it has to be priced close to the A7R. I love the new grip. I've only held a dummy in my hand, but the shutter button was in an awkward place.

Donos

http://i.imgur.com/dBplBvq.jpg[IMG]

Got both for like $780

I love this combo..
[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/d6QxSEc.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]

Dat SEL35F1.8. Still around 400-420 € new in germany. Used maybe 330-350 € if you are lucky. If i even think about it my gf would smack me in the face. 780 $ is a crazy good deal.

Would love it when Sony just would say "fuckit" and release the new menue (same as RX100 MKII, MKIII,A7 (r/s) and A6000) in a firmware for the NEX6 (and NEX7) but they are really shitty with firmwares. Don't think that they will ever release another firmware for the 5R, 6 or 7.

So fuijifilm x100t or x100s? They seem to still be about the same price...

if they're the same price i'd get the T. i got my x100 for like half the price of the S a couple months after that went on sale, which i felt was a better deal, but the T is at least as big a jump again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom