• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Camera Equipment Megathread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zyzyxxz

Futureman said:
Yep, 7D is a great cam for video under 2k, you do have to sink a decent amount into extra gear though... Mainly lenses, stabilization, audio, lighting.

but the problem with a 7D is the video clip length right? Limited to 12 minutes IIRC and I don't think they used any kind of fix for it like some camcorders that record to SD cards use (which is create a new video file after the max time is hit and then merge them all once recording is done).

XMonkey

lacks enthusiasm.
For narrative filmmaking you basically never need to shoot more than 12 minutes per take. The only time the filesize/time limit really hinders you is when you need to record continuous footage for events, but this can be worked around with clever editing or coordination with a 2nd person using the same camera (one of you is always recording when the other is close to the time limit, etc).

I'll second the rec. for the Panasonic HMC40 if all you're looking for is a video camera and don't need still capability.

I got my hands on a Tokina f/2.8 28mm prime!

OMG The pictures that I can take with that thing are amazing! I love it love it love it plus it's making me develop my composition much further

28mm (42 mm equivalent)
f/2.8
iso 6400
shutter speed 1/20
IMGP0712.JPG

zhenming

Zyzyxxz said:
but the problem with a 7D is the video clip length right? Limited to 12 minutes IIRC and I don't think they used any kind of fix for it like some camcorders that record to SD cards use (which is create a new video file after the max time is hit and then merge them all once recording is done).
the nikon offerings are worse. canon t1i has the most at 18mins iirc.

zhenming

Canon 5D MKII has quality control issues but is soooo goood for videos. I got to use one at work, then I bought a Nikon D700 a week later :lol :lol :lol :lol

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Time or some quick and dirty test shots with the new lens.

Shot with D700 and 70-200 f2.8 VRII lens. JPEG mode. Auto white balance, so the color isn't consistent. 100% crops.

I took each shot at the different settings in a continuous burst of three shots and then chose the best of the three.

All shots were handheld. Not the best of test subjects, but you get the idea.

210x4ee.jpg

Basically, I never go to 1/30 or god forbid 1/15 when shooting with the VRI at 200mm, but with the VRII, I think it won't be a problem in a pinch.

As far as the corner sharpness and vignetting, I don't use this lens for landscapes (why would you?) so I really don't care about that.

zhenming

Rentahamster said:
Time or some quick and dirty test shots with the new lens.

Shot with D700 and 70-200 f2.8 VRII lens. JPEG mode. Auto white balance, so the color isn't consistent. 100% crops.

I took each shot at the different settings in a continuous burst of three shots and then chose the best of the three.

All shots were handheld. Not the best of test subjects, but you get the idea.

210x4ee.jpg

Basically, I never go to 1/30 or god forbid 1/15 when shooting with the VRI at 200mm, but with the VRII, I think it won't be a problem in a pinch.

As far as the corner sharpness and vignetting, I don't use this lens for landscapes (why would you?) so I really don't care about that.
dude be lucky you even have VR I have a 80-200mm... I can barely make 1/50.....

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
zhenming said:
fixed. that can be ALMOST... on par as the 5D MKII
sorry, it is actually as good as or better. and its almost half the price.

rentahamster said:
some people like the compression effects and or making things larger than they should be that telephotos provide.
I've gotten some cool landscapes with my 50-200.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
Rentahamster said:
I don't use this lens for landscapes (why would you?) so I really don't care about that.

Using longer lenses for Landscapes isn't as common but certain people do like to utilize the compression effect these longer lenses have for landscapes :D

The VR benefits look amazing though. Being able to shoot indoors is feasible at those shutter speeds.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
captive said:
some people like the compression effects and or making things larger than they should be that telephotos provide.
BlueTsunami said:
Using longer lenses for Landscapes isn't as common but certain people do like to utilize the compression effect these longer lenses have for landscapes :D
Oh, what I mean is, "why would you want to use this particular zoom lens when there are better telephotos out there to use for landscapes".

And I guess the answer is "because the 200 f2 is a bajillion dollars".

But there are other cheaper telephoto primes that are good too (but not as long).

zhenming

Rentahamster said:
Time to upgrade! Still in stock at Amazon...
after my 14-24mm onslaught i think ill rest my wallet a little... dont tempt me man :lol :lol :lol CF cards are $$$ to you know :(

and the DOF on that 70-200mm monster for landscapes would be dope as hell.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
zhenming said:
after my 14-24mm onslaught i think ill rest my wallet a little... dont tempt me man :lol :lol :lol CF cards are $$$ to you know :(
Buy them whenever there's a big manufacturer discount on them. With the rebate, the savings are pretty good.

Actually, you can get 4GB Sandisk Extreme IIIs for 25 bucks with free shipping at Amazon now.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0008D76L0/?tag=neogaf0e-20

..well, unless you need the really fast/high capacity ones.

captive

Panasonic GF1
http://www.luminous-landscape.com/reviews/cameras/gh1.shtml
http://www.digitalcameratracker.com/panasonic-gh1-reviews-sample-photos/

The panny is good, but have you seen this video? http://www.vimeo.com/5981422
Honestly, all that video proved to me is that a 1200-1500 dollar camera can compete with stuff twice the price and more.
Unless someone is already invested in canon I dont know why the gh1 wouldn't be in someones consideration for a slr that shoots video.

zhenming

captive said:
Panasonic GF1
http://www.luminous-landscape.com/reviews/cameras/gh1.shtml
http://www.digitalcameratracker.com/panasonic-gh1-reviews-sample-photos/

Honestly, all that video proved to me is that a 1200-1500 dollar camera can compete with stuff twice the price and more.
Unless someone is already invested in canon I dont know why the gh1 wouldn't be in someones consideration for a slr that shoots video.
that was the whole point of the vid, but it also shows the 5d is better than the panny.

Zyzyxxz

Leonsito said:
Hi guys, I'm going to buy a 55-200mm for my GF's Nikon D40, I thought there was only one Nikkor lens but I found this two:

55-200mm f/4-5.6 AF-S VR DX Zoom-Nikkor

55-200mm f/4-5.6G ED AF-S DX Zoom-Nikkor

What's the difference? Which one do you recommend?

Also, any recommendations on UV filters would be nice :)

One has VR [vibration reduction] and one doesn't.

I have the VR one and IMO it only helps in bright outdoor situations. Just get it with VR anyway, it can be had for $170 refurbished from Cameta.

captive

zhenming said:
that was the whole point of the vid, but it also shows the 5d is better than the panny.
i hate to keep arguing because i really dont care about video in SLR's but really, even the comments in the thread before people start asking questions about ISO and after that, are all saying that the gh1 holds up very nicely to the others, the maker of the video says: "We thought all the cameras looked stunning on the big screen." some even said the Gh1 looked better and had better contrast.
But further 1) the test is invalid because its different scenes, in different locations, with different lighting 2) you dont know what they did to each video in post processing.

I dont know how you can say that the canon clearly outclassed the Gh1, based on all the things i just pointed out.
They're all good.

Leonsito

Zyzyxxz said:

I have the VR one and IMO it only helps in bright outdoor situations. Just get it with VR anyway, it can be had for $170 refurbished from Cameta.

Ok, thank you ! :)

nitewulf

i love my gf1, but its not a DSLR. it doesn't have a mirror flipping inside. it has a contrast based auto focus system which is slower than a dslr.

the micro 4/3rds system, also by virtue of its small sensor, cant effectively have a very shallow depth of field like the 5d, or the 40d, also in image quality it wont compare to a bigger sensor like the 5d or the 40d, which will have better ISO performance, and overall less noise.

again, i love it, but you're fighting a nonsense arguement. i'll probably use my gf1+20mm pancake, a lot more than i'll ever use my 2000+ kit of 40d + 35mm f/1.4....but i know full well which one is technically a better camera.

its just thatm artistically, gf1 is a revelation...you wont miss shots. you can have your 1000000000D and 1mm, f/.5 gear which costs 10000000000 dollars...but that shit wont compare to a small body camera with a fast lens. street photo, you wont miss shots, you can ALWAYS carry it. a true photographer's camera like the leika rangefinders.

captive

nitewulf said:
i love my gf1, but its not a DSLR. it doesn't have a mirror flipping inside. it has a contrast based auto focus system which is slower than a dslr.

the micro 4/3rds system, also by virtue of its small sensor, cant effectively have a very shallow depth of field like the 5d, or the 40d, also in image quality it wont compare to a bigger sensor like the 5d or the 40d, which will have better ISO performance, and overall less noise.

again, i love it, but you're fighting a nonsense arguement. i'll probably use my gf1+20mm pancake, a lot more than i'll ever use my 2000+ kit of 40d + 35mm f/1.4....but i know full well which one is technically a better camera.

its just thatm artistically, gf1 is a revelation...you wont miss shots. you can have your 1000000000D and 1mm, f/.5 gear which costs 10000000000 dollars...but that shit wont compare to a small body camera with a fast lens. street photo, you wont miss shots, you can ALWAYS carry it. a true photographer's camera like the leika rangefinders.
read the review i posted, it brings up things like the fact that 4/3rds has more depth of field so if you want to get rid of the shallow depth of field on FF you have to stop down and then raise the lighting.
more depth of field can be an advantage or a disadvantage, just depends on what you're trying to do.

Image quality is absolutely comparable at lower ISO's otherwise no one would use crop cameras like the Gh1. Yes CanNikon has better high ISO. But thats also blown a little out of proportion by people that like to view their images at 100% on their monitor and then bitch about the slightest bit of noise.
Whats usable in high iso is also going to be relative to the user's needs though.

Also the gf1 has the sensor of the g1, while the gh1 has a newer sensor. Yes they aren't actually SLR's but the GH1 is practically a SLR without the mirror.

zhenming

Zyzyxxz said:

it will help more in low light and since it is a tele lens itll give you sharper images compared to the non-vr one.

I wasn't exactly sure which thread to put this in but, I've been having trouble getting my Canon EOS Digital Rebel XT (350D) to connect to my PC. I installed the drivers from the disk and plugged in my camera but windows says it can't find the drivers. I have the communications setting on the camera set to PC Connection and this wasn't really an issue on Windows 7 32 bit (now using Windows 7 x64).

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
silverbullet1080 said:
I wasn't exactly sure which thread to put this in but, I've been having trouble getting my Canon EOS Digital Rebel XT (350D) to connect to my PC. I installed the drivers from the disk and plugged in my camera but windows says it can't find the drivers. I have the communications setting on the camera set to PC Connection and this wasn't really an issue on Windows 7 32 bit (now using Windows 7 x64).

Are you using the same 32 bit drivers? The only thing I can think of is some incompatibility with the drivers. I've had horror scenarios happen with my 3G Nano (where it kept asking for the drivers but started working for some reason) so I can imagine something similar happening to this camera. I own a 350D but use a Memory Card reader to transfer images (I'm on Windows 7 too but 32bit).

BlueTsunami said:
Are you using the same 32 bit drivers? The only thing I can think of is some incompatibility with the drivers. I've had horror scenarios happen with my 3G Nano (where it kept asking for the drivers but started working for some reason) so I can imagine something similar happening to this camera. I own a 350D but use a Memory Card reader to transfer images (I'm on Windows 7 too but 32bit).
64 bit drivers don't exist, so yeah, I thought it'd be an incompatibility problem, though they work perfectly fine on Vista x64.

Zyzyxxz

zhenming said:
it will help more in low light and since it is a tele lens itll give you sharper images compared to the non-vr one.

I feel in low light with this budget lens might as well be using a tripod, at least from my own experience. But my hands aren't the steadiest.

zhenming

Zyzyxxz said:
I feel in low light with this budget lens might as well be using a tripod, at least from my own experience. But my hands aren't the steadiest.
bump the ISO! dont be afraid of noise, film had to deal with this decades ago.

srst

I have this coming in the mail. It's going to be my everyday pocket camera. I would have gotten the LX3 if it was smaller though.

2qsrofn.jpg

Zyzyxxz

zhenming said:
bump the ISO! dont be afraid of noise, film had to deal with this decades ago.

le sigh... I hate having to go to the menu all the time to change ISO, wish I had a dam dial for it.

mrkgoo

srst said:
I have this coming in the mail. It's going to be my everyday pocket camera. I would have gotten the LX3 if it was smaller though.

2qsrofn.jpg

*jealous*

Nice! I always have the notion to once again pick up a nice portable point and shoot that can complement my SLR, but I never get around to it. This is the latest on my list. Seems to be nearly everything the G11 is, but more pocketable.

When you get it, be sure to port impressions and samples!

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Zyzyxxz said:
le sigh... I hate having to go to the menu all the time to change ISO, wish I had a dam dial for it.
You're using a D40, right? Set your function button to change ISO. Or just press the magnify button to get to the quick menu and change ISO.

Zyzyxxz

Rentahamster said:
You're using a D40, right? Set your function button to change ISO. Or just press the magnify button to get to the quick menu and change ISO.

Holy crap I didn't know that. Changes everything now!

srst said:

2qsrofn.jpg

Nice! I haven't had a chance to get into photography, but this and the LX3 are really tempting me because of their portability. I second the request for pictures and impressions once you get it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom