• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Camera Equipment Megathread

Status
Not open for further replies.

zhenming

Zyzyxxz said:
maybe I'll just get a SB-400, been thinking about that.
its just like an over powered on board flash. it doesnt really do much except give bigger flash. cant really get creative with it, since the swivel is limited too. save for a sb600 at least if you want new. I have a spare sb24 and its not bad got it for 60..

tino

Banned
nitewulf said:
so i bought a panasonic gf1 w/ a 14-45mm kit lens today.

don't think will touch my regular sized dslr and lenses for a long, very long time, or ever again...

The resolution or even low light performance is very good but I found the color rendition a little bit too "fanciful" to the real world. It's much better deal than the crippled EP1 though.

Here is hoping there is a wide angle pancake coming soon.

Zyzyxxz

zhenming said:
its just like an over powered on board flash. it doesnt really do much except give bigger flash. cant really get creative with it, since the swivel is limited too. save for a sb600 at least if you want new. I have a spare sb24 and its not bad got it for 60..

hmmm yeah thats what I was thinking... sigh I guess I have no reason to spend the money sitting in my bank account for now.

hEist

chaostrophy said:
I use a black canvas Domke F-2:

41odsUHKLEL._SS400_.jpg

seems to be a great bag, would buy it. But c'mon, 216€?(amazon.de) thats really insane.

ChryZ

nitewulf said:
so i bought a panasonic gf1 w/ a 14-45mm kit lens today.

don't think will touch my regular sized dslr and lenses for a long, very long time, or ever again...
How do you like the 14-45mm lens? I'm planing to get the 7-14mm and the 14-140mm, but they're pretty pricey. Need to pony up some money first.

I bought the 20mm pancake kit. Love it to death, so capable, yet so compact. It even fits in my jacket pocket. Random shot:

p1000135-1.jpg

Dkong

Zyzyxxz, I really don't think you have any need for that 50mm f/1.8, especially with a cropped sensor. It's a cheap lens anyway so if you find you want it anyway later on, you wouldn't have lost too much.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
zhenming said:
Ever since Strobist.com popularized those old Nikon flashes, they've been really hard to find. I guess it varies depending upon location, though.

Zyzyxxz

Rentahamster said:
Ever since Strobist.com popularized those old Nikon flashes, they've been really hard to find. I guess it varies depending upon location, though.

yeah thats what I read, apparently they all sell for nearly $100 now on ebay.

giga

So my 50 1.8 broke, but I have a 30 1.4 and 85 1.8. Is it necessary to replace it at Dell for $75? I'm thinking no?

aidan

Hugo Award Winning Author and Editor
giga said:
So my 50 1.8 broke, but I have a 30 1.4 and 85 1.8. Is it necessary to replace it at Dell for $75? I'm thinking no?

Well, how often would you use the 50/1.8 over the others? Was it often on your camera?

nitewulf

tino said:
The resolution or even low light performance is very good but I found the color rendition a little bit too "fanciful" to the real world. It's much better deal than the crippled EP1 though.

Here is hoping there is a wide angle pancake coming soon.
then you could just shoot RAW, if you don't like the in camera jpeg output.

So I am in the market for a camera now, after giving the last one to my parents. All my past digital cameras have been Canon- S50, S60, S80.

I am by no means an avid photographer, but do like to be able to take good shots. I had used my S60 the most and used to play around with all the settings to get the best shot I could. But I don't have any photography knowledge and haven't kept up with all the latest happenings.

So any suggestions? How is the S90?

Jebus

Instigator said:
You forgot to mention Pentax has awful retailer presence. You may find a body in a store, but be ready to shop online in order to find optics.

That and the company had financial troubles and is looking for a partner to keep its DSLR division alive.

haha 'you may find a body in a store'. You make it sound like 1 store in the middle of nowhere may have 1 body sitting under a cabinet gathering dust. Pentax has a good presence in retail, it's just not an excellent presence compared to Nikon/Canon.

Also who buys lenses from a retail store anyway? That's just crazy talk. Unless you've got money to burn most people buy online at places like bhPhoto .

mrkgoo

cartoon_soldier said:
So I am in the market for a camera now, after giving the last one to my parents. All my past digital cameras have been Canon- S50, S60, S80.

I am by no means an avid photographer, but do like to be able to take good shots. I had used my S60 the most and used to play around with all the settings to get the best shot I could. But I don't have any photography knowledge and haven't kept up with all the latest happenings.

So any suggestions? How is the S90?

The S90 just came out, and is an amazing update to the S-series. I would nearly say it has a killer set of features for a point and shoot, and is my choice of point and shoot. Not sure about Image Quality, but it's most likely not that bad. I like it more than the G11, because it's actually pocketable. Pretty expensive though.

Zyzyxxz

mrkgoo said:
The S90 just came out, and is an amazing update to the S-series. I would nearly say it has a killer set of features for a point and shoot, and is my choice of point and shoot. Not sure about Image Quality, but it's most likely not that bad. I like it more than the G11, because it's actually pocketable. Pretty expensive though.

Right now Dell has 20% Bing cashback and it sells for $400 so that would come out to $320 before tax.

DarwinMayflower

Neo Member
This is my pocket cam

5mp but sadly auto focus. Nice conversation starter however I am interested in a new digital SLR and just wondering anyone could suggest one for me. My old Pentax MZ-50 has served me well in the past and I'd like to stay with the brand, but just wondering if there is any other brand worth switching to or shifting my alliances.

What I'm looking for:

Potentially some sort of quality I can exhibit. Mainly for my own house if I want to blow up something something particularly nice.

What is the max amount of MP I should be looking for? Basically semi-pro stuff.

Are there any lists I should consider ether online or in mags in order to help out with my decision? Should I get any older models to save cost and not necessarily get this years top of the line model?

What other questions should I be asking for when looking for a new camera?

As always any help would be greatly appreciated.

Dkong

I can't compare anything to Pentax, which I don't know anything about, but I have some basic advice. There are a few cheaper DSLR's, like the Nikon D40 and D40x, that can't use autofocus with some lenses. Check for yourself if this might become a problem for you. Also, some DSLR's don't allow you to change ISO, aperture or shutter speed via buttons on the body, only via the menu system. I find myself changing those things up to a couple of times per photo so you can imagine it's frustrating to have to access a menu 2000+ times a day.

Furthermore, both Nikon and Canon DSLRs produce great pictures and are an obvious choice because of the availability of their products. Canon especially has a real nice market for lenses, if you're looking to invest in some glass eventually. Personally, I like the feel of the Nikon DSLR bodies, the larger ones feeling a bit more comfortable than the smaller ones, and I like the controls and menu system though I don't have any experience with Canons.

The only problem I have (with Nikon) is that whenever I "need" a new lens for something I always find I have to spend a couple of hundred more euro's than my budget to really get a lens that I don't have to upgrade the following years. You do have good glass after that though.

Jebus said:
haha 'you may find a body in a store'. You make it sound like 1 store in the middle of nowhere may have 1 body sitting under a cabinet gathering dust. Pentax has a good presence in retail, it's just not an excellent presence compared to Nikon/Canon.

It's worse than Olympus (already shunned by many retailers) and only slightly better than Panasonic (their compacts are easy to find, their micro 4/3 stuff nearly impossible). If Pentax was so readily available, they probably wouldn't struggle keeping their business going.

Also who buys lenses from a retail store anyway? That's just crazy talk. Unless you've got money to burn most people buy online at places like bhPhoto.

People who don't live in shit countries limited to Best Buy and Wal-Mart to shop for their cameras, they have dedicated camera retailers just for that purpose. That way, you can decide if the lens is too unbalanced for your camera body, check out if auto-focus struggles, get a good idea about build quality and whatever else is personally relevant to you. Nothing forces you to buy the lens at the store where you tried it, but before you dish out serious dough for quality glass, it's the least you can do without making a leap of faith, being forced to rely on photographer friends or have to turn to lens rental. Someone who argues otherwise is the one doing the crazy talk and just doesn't realize he shouldn't put up with that BS.

nitewulf

ChryZ said:
How do you like the 14-45mm lens? I'm planing to get the 7-14mm and the 14-140mm, but they're pretty pricey. Need to pony up some money first.
the lens is pretty nice for a kit lens. its a good range, feels plasticky, but then again its a kit lens. i love the OIS, it works a charm at very slow shutter speeds. i am travelling next month, which is why i bought the camera in the first place...and i bought the zoom kit because it's better for travelling shots. otherwise i was definitely gonna get the pancake kit, im still definitely buying the pancake later on, and it'll probably become my default street shooter.

did you get the viewfinder?

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
Instigator said:
People who don't live in shit countries limited to Best Buy and Wal-Mart to shop for their cameras, they have dedicated camera retailers just for that purpose. That way, you can decide if the lens is too unbalanced for your camera body, check out if auto-focus struggles, get a good idea about build quality and whatever else is personally relevant to you. Nothing forces you to buy the lens at the store where you tried it, but before you dish out serious dough for quality glass, it's the least you can do without making a leap of faith, being forced to rely on photographer friends or have to turn to lens rental. Someone who argues otherwise is the one doing the crazy talk and just doesn't realize he shouldn't put up with that BS.
yea but camera retailers are dying. Wolf and ritz? have closed every store in Houston.
Houston Camera Exchange is the only one i know of without starting a google search. They have a good collection of Olympus gear and even have the Olympus rep in there often.
Yet they are consistently 10-20% more than Amazon and BH.com and you're not paying tax from amazon and bhphoto.

zhenming

Rentahamster said:
Nikon 70-200 VRII has shipped. Awww hell yeah.
oh shiiiiiiiii

for those asking about bags....

Left to right... Nikon lens bag (came with my 24-70mm f2.8), Domke F-6, Dakine Mission Photo backpack and in front a generic tripod and stand bag.
4138800371_3ff42f1968.jpg

Dakine Mission Photo not a lot of people know about this company in general, but they make ski and snow sport bags, I can actually attach a snowboard to the back of this backpack. This backpack is really cheap ($99) and it can hold a full sized DSLR (D700), a medium lens (24-70mm), a full sized lens (80-200mm), 2 flashes (SB800 and SB24), a small lens (50mm) and misc camera stuff. the great thing is I can even fit my 15" macbook pro in it, but it would be too heavy. The snowboard attachment in the back can be used for a tripod. It also comes with the velcro blocks and an attached waterproof cover thats tucked inside the back. On top of all this. you can take out the whole camera compartment and use the backpack as a normal one and itll be less bulky. I've gone backpacking with this pack before and it was great. Its airplane legal for those who want to know.
4138801259_f70075a3cf.jpg

Domke F-6 great looking bag that is discreet and doesn't scream I have an expensive dslr with me. It comes with a 4 compartment insert and is enough to fit a full-sized dlsr, a small lens, a flash, a normal lens and misc small camera stuff. I use this bag during photoshoots so that things are easily accessible and with me. People say the padding is insufficient on this thing, but the bag slipped off me once with my 80-200mm and 50mm and they came out unharmed after dropping 4ft.

Gerneric stand bag a must have for lugging around legs and tripods. I use a 36" bag with a zipper opening and a side opening. The green makes me feel like Im Rambo. Got this off ebay for like $8 lol.
4138801645_95ebb3a5f1.jpg

Ramdom car rig and suction cup...
4139563644_8d88469932.jpg

up next is a 14-24mm f2.8 :D

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
D700 for $2,039 at Walmart w/ 15% bing.com cashback:

http://www.bing.com/shopping/Nikon-...SLR-Camera-Order-Yours/search?q=D700 body&p1=[CommerceService%20scenario%3d%22o%22%20docid%3d%229BE7BCB8113E47BAC8CD%22]&wf=Commerce&FORM=ENCA0

YMMV due to tax and shipping.

See thread for details: http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/readflat.asp?forum=1021&thread=33817529

zhenming said:
oh shiiiiiiiii
:D
zhenming said:
up next is a 14-24mm f2.8 :D
Do eeet, that lens is frickin' MONEY.

zhenming

Okay Gaf I have just received a Canon Speedlight as an early Christmas present. Anyone have one? any tips? I really want to start playing with it!

post-5671-1238432931.jpg

Rolio

DarwinMayflower said:
Nice conversation starter however I am interested in a new digital SLR and just wondering anyone could suggest one for me. My old Pentax MZ-50 has served me well in the past and I'd like to stay with the brand, but just wondering if there is any other brand worth switching to or shifting my alliances.

41mVtS3OO1L._SS400_.jpg

PhotographyBLOG said:
The Pentax K-x is a small, light and easy-to-use DSLR camera that punches well above its mid-range weight. The only major negative that we can think of is its diminutive size, which for many people will actually be a positive. We're certainly convinced - the Pentax K-x is our new favourite "affordable" DSLR and fully deserving of our rarely-awarded Essential / 5 Star rating.

Also, any Pentax lenses you already have will work on the kx, or any pentax dslr. Search for the reviews, the camera is well received. It also comes in red :D

acanaday

Dev - Bioware Austin
I bought one of these a year ago - and it's seriously a great camera. One of the best purchases I've ever made.

There are tactile dials up top and on the back that make it SUPER easy to dial in your iso, shutter speed, aperture, as well as a global +/- exposure setting. Some of my friends who have more expensive DLSR cameras can't believe how easy it is to make these adjustments on the fly, and are a bit jealous of the tactile dials. This is seriously a great camera for anyone looking to get very close to DSLR quality in a small form factor that could still fit in a jacket pocket or purse. Of course, you will not be able to attach custom lenses on this one, but overall its a great camera to just take around when you don't want to lug around something huge.

canon_powershot_g_10.bmp

Zyzyxxz

acanaday said:
I bought one of these a year ago - and it's seriously a great camera. One of the best purchases I've ever made.

There are tactile dials up top and on the back that make it SUPER easy to dial in your iso, shutter speed, aperture, as well as a global +/- exposure setting. Some of my friends who have more expensive DLSR cameras can't believe how easy it is to make these adjustments on the fly, and are a bit jealous of the tactile dials. This is seriously a great camera for anyone looking to get very close to DSLR quality in a small form factor that could still fit in a jacket pocket or purse. Of course, you will not be able to attach custom lenses on this one, but overall its a great camera to just take around when you don't want to lug around something huge.

canon_powershot_g_10.bmp

the only problem is that it is not truly pocketable but it is about as portable as an Olympus EP-1 or a Panasonic GF1.

You can adjust settings on the fly better than my D40 too I believe. The only problem is the price, I feel it just creeps up too much on entry level DSLR's when the price gap between a D40/3000 and a Canon S90 is more reasonable.

mrkgoo

Zyzyxxz said:
the only problem is that it is not truly pocketable but it is about as portable as an Olympus EP-1 or a Panasonic GF1.

You can adjust settings on the fly better than my D40 too I believe. The only problem is the price, I feel it just creeps up too much on entry level DSLR's when the price gap between a D40/3000 and a Canon S90 is more reasonable.

I seriously think the s90 is amazing. It's like a mini G-series, just without the viewfinder.

It has a two function dials, a slew of manual modes, wide aperture, IS, and TRULY pocketable.

zhenming

mrkgoo said:
I seriously think the s90 is amazing. It's like a mini G-series, just without the viewfinder.

It has a two function dials, a slew of manual modes, wide aperture, IS, and TRULY pocketable.
S90 is good, even better than the G.

Tendo

Well I'm back posting here. I have had my D40 since May and LOVE it. I'm finally feeling comfortable taking shots on manual and knowing what settings will give me the best look.

I currently have the kits lens and the 55-200mm vr zoom. I'm looking at picking up a macro lens for the D40. I'd be taking mostly insect and flower shots. What would you recommend as a good AF macro lens for the D40?

Next question is kind of wide open. I'm planning to hit Yellowstone with some friends this August. I don't know if/when I'll ever get back. Are there any cheap-ish lenses you would recommend to take advantage of the scenery? I feel comfortable with the 200mm zoom for distance. What about landscapes? Would it be worthwhile to grab a super wide angle over the kit lens? I just want to be sure I'm taking full advantage of my time there.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Tendo said:
Well I'm back posting here. I have had my D40 since May and LOVE it. I'm finally feeling comfortable taking shots on manual and knowing what settings will give me the best look.

I currently have the kits lens and the 55-200mm vr zoom. I'm looking at picking up a macro lens for the D40. I'd be taking mostly insect and flower shots. What would you recommend as a good AF macro lens for the D40?

Next question is kind of wide open. I'm planning to hit Yellowstone with some friends this August. I don't know if/when I'll ever get back. Are there any cheap-ish lenses you would recommend to take advantage of the scenery? I feel comfortable with the 200mm zoom for distance. What about landscapes? Would it be worthwhile to grab a super wide angle over the kit lens? I just want to be sure I'm taking full advantage of my time there.
Best macro lens option would probably be the new and soon to be released Nikon 85mm macro lens.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B002SQKVE4/?tag=neogaf0e-20
http://www.dpreview.com/news/0910/09101401nikon85mmmacro.asp

Nikon also has a 60mm and 105mm lens but those are more expensive. Well, actually the 60 is about the same price, but the 85 will give you more working distance so you don't disturb the insects you're trying to photograph and/or get in the way of the light.

If you're on a budget, you can use a close up filter which is basically a magnifying glass that you screw on to the front of your lens. I recommend the Canon ones.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00009R6X5/?tag=neogaf0e-20

I bought a 77mm one myself and use various filter adapters to make it fit on other size lenses.

If you want a wide angle lens, the Nikon 10-24 is pretty good.
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0026FCKC8/?tag=neogaf0e-20

If you don't want to pay as much money, just use your 18-55 kit lens and do a stitched panorama.

Dkong

Tamron has a cheaper alternative to that wideangle Nikon, two actually. Usually I don't go for 3rd party brands with lenses, but a buddy got the Tamron 11-16mm f/2.8 for Nikon and it's just superb, supposedly it's just as good as a Nikon 12-24mm for half of the money. A cheaper version of this Tamron is the 12-24mm which I picked up 2nd hand recently, I haven't really used it a lot because I'm more into other new gear at the moment but it's a good lens too, and affordable, even a new one.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Dkong said:
Tamron has a cheaper alternative to that wideangle Nikon, two actually. Usually I don't go for 3rd party brands with lenses, but a buddy got the Tamron 11-16mm f/2.8 for Nikon and it's just superb, supposedly it's just as good as a Nikon 12-24mm for half of the money. A cheaper version of this Tamron is the 12-24mm which I picked up 2nd hand recently, I haven't really used it a lot because I'm more into other new gear at the moment but it's a good lens too, and affordable, even a new one.
Tamron doesn't have a 11-16mm. I think you're thinking of the Tokina 11-16mm 2.8.

Those third party lenses dont autofocus on the D40 and other AF-S only bodies, IIRC.

I took my Pentax for a spin yesterday! I thought I didn't compose anything worth a damn but some shots actually came out pretty good! I'm loving it

Burger

16m5ba1.jpg

I purchased a Lumix LX3 in the weekend. Pretty happy with it, although I haven't had a chance to take many photos with it.

Here is a written account of why I got it.

I currently have a Lumix FZ-30, which is a fairly decent SuperZoom point and shoot, EVF. It takes decent photos, has a nice 12x optical zoom and is a decent camera. It is however, as bulky as an SLR, which really stopped me from taking it anywhere, to any sort of social occasion. What really annoyed me was that neither the LCD display or the EVF were any good, the LCD was far too small, and the EVF was horrid. It also had a pretty noisy sensor.

So, new camera. Here were the competitors:

Canon G11: Wasn't exactly smitten by the look, and it was quite bulky. Most reviews/shootouts compared it to the LX3, and it either fell short slightly, or edged ahead slightly. Didn't seem to be much better or worse.

Panasonic GF1: Almost exactly what I was looking for. Compact, great quality, almost SLR level features in a pocketable camera. However, the price was high, higher than entry level SLR's. Also, the available lenses were short in supply, and super expensive. I asked myself if I would really buy that many lenses in the next couple of years, and the answer was a big NO.

Entry level SLR: (eg Pentax Kx, Canon Dsomething) Affordable, great features, great quality. Would be a good investment and should last me a long time. Still, it would be just as bulky as the FZ-30, if not more so, and therefore would not get around that major issue. Also, for my level of photography knowledge, it would be a waste of time for me as I wouldn't have a clue how to use most of its features.

So, after reading many a review, I decided on the LX3. Most reviews pegged it as the best compact camera around, has a great wide angle lens and is easily pocketable. Pretty much everything I was after. If I need a Tele lens for anything I can always use the FZ-30, but I suspect I'll either sell it, or not bother to take it anywhere.

mrkgoo

Burger said:
16m5ba1.jpg

I purchased a Lumix LX3 in the weekend. Pretty happy with it, although I haven't had a chance to take many photos with it.

Here is a written account of why I got it.

I currently have a Lumix FZ-30, which is a fairly decent SuperZoom point and shoot, EVF. It takes decent photos, has a nice 12x optical zoom and is a decent camera. It is however, as bulky as an SLR, which really stopped me from taking it anywhere, to any sort of social occasion. What really annoyed me was that neither the LCD display or the EVF were any good, the LCD was far too small, and the EVF was horrid. It also had a pretty noisy sensor.

So, new camera. Here were the competitors:

Canon G11: Wasn't exactly smitten by the look, and it was quite bulky. Most reviews/shootouts compared it to the LX3, and it either fell short slightly, or edged ahead slightly. Didn't seem to be much better or worse.

Panasonic GF1: Almost exactly what I was looking for. Compact, great quality, almost SLR level features in a pocketable camera. However, the price was high, higher than entry level SLR's. Also, the available lenses were short in supply, and super expensive. I asked myself if I would really buy that many lenses in the next couple of years, and the answer was a big NO.

Entry level SLR: (eg Pentax Kx, Canon Dsomething) Affordable, great features, great quality. Would be a good investment and should last me a long time. Still, it would be just as bulky as the FZ-30, if not more so, and therefore would not get around that major issue. Also, for my level of photography knowledge, it would be a waste of time for me as I wouldn't have a clue how to use most of its features.

So, after reading many a review, I decided on the LX3. Most reviews pegged it as the best compact camera around, has a great wide angle lens and is easily pocketable. Pretty much everything I was after. If I need a Tele lens for anything I can always use the FZ-30, but I suspect I'll either sell it, or not bother to take it anywhere.

A great choice, and possibly the camera I would choose if I went compact (I like it more than the G11, but I like the s90 too much).

Now get shooting! And share images! Take part in the assignment!

Chairhome

Does anyone use Photoshop elements 8? I've only used Digital Photo professional and a trial version of Lightroom so far, running a trial of PSE8 right now. I'm still fumbling through it, just wondering if anyone has impressions/comparisons. Saw glowing reviews from a few mags, but bad user reviews on amazon saying its worse than 7.
Biggest reason for asking is that Best Buy is selling PSE8/premiere elements 8 bundle till tomorrow for $75, and adobe has an additional $30 rebate, so I figure its a good deal, just want to know if its worth it. I'm especially looking at this since it would be nice to have an AVCHD editing software as well...

nitewulf

some casual test shots with my Panny GF1 w/ the 14-45mm kit lens. most of these are untouched, some are cropped and contrast adjusted.

P1000074.jpg

P1000076.jpg

P1000079.jpg

P1000081.jpg

P1000091.jpg

P1000096.jpg

P1000098_edited-1.jpg

Guled

I really want to start making short films and was wondering what is the best video camera I could get for less then 2000, the closer to 1k the better, but quality is really important so im willing to spend the extra bucks. Thanks

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
Guled said:
I really want to start making short films and was wondering what is the best video camera I could get for less then 2000, the closer to 1k the better, but quality is really important so im willing to spend the extra bucks. Thanks

The Canon 7D (for $1699? without lens) is a pretty strong camera for making video. There are other offings (like Canon's T1i) for $800-$900. I'm not sure what one offers over the other though.

Futureman

BlueTsunami said:
The Canon 7D (for $1699? without lens) is a pretty strong camera for making video. There are other offings (like Canon's T1i) for $800-$900. I'm not sure what one offers over the other though.
Yep, 7D is a great cam for video under 2k, you do have to sink a decent amount into extra gear though... Mainly lenses, stabilization, audio, lighting.

Guled said:

If you are looking for a video camera, and not a dslr that can do video, I would recommend the Panasonic hmc 40. It can be had for $1,909. It has good manual control and records to sd cards.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom