• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Camera Equipment Megathread

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
nitewulf said:
i love my gf1, but its not a DSLR. it doesn't have a mirror flipping inside. it has a contrast based auto focus system which is slower than a dslr.

the micro 4/3rds system, also by virtue of its small sensor, cant effectively have a very shallow depth of field like the 5d, or the 40d, also in image quality it wont compare to a bigger sensor like the 5d or the 40d, which will have better ISO performance, and overall less noise.

again, i love it, but you're fighting a nonsense arguement. i'll probably use my gf1+20mm pancake, a lot more than i'll ever use my 2000+ kit of 40d + 35mm f/1.4....but i know full well which one is technically a better camera.

its just thatm artistically, gf1 is a revelation...you wont miss shots. you can have your 1000000000D and 1mm, f/.5 gear which costs 10000000000 dollars...but that shit wont compare to a small body camera with a fast lens. street photo, you wont miss shots, you can ALWAYS carry it. a true photographer's camera like the leika rangefinders.

How much slower than a DSLR is the AF? thats the one thing making me pause. I have a panasonic TZ7 as my 'always on my' camera, but the AF is really crappy (well, no worse than any other compact). contrast AF has me worried, but I've read that Panasonic's implementation in the GF1 is really good.

nitewulf

its implemented very well. extremely fast. not a noticeable diff in real life usage, will only be slower if u actually measure it vs a new DSLR. know that due to the small chip size, actual depth of field will not be as shallow as DSLR. i'm loving mine, very good for street photos, i posted pics a few pages back.

Alucrid

Banned
Shit. I need some help. I'm trying to find a DSLR camera for Christmas, but I was wondering if there are any good entry level ones at around $300?

mrkgoo

Alucrid said:
Shit. I need some help. I'm trying to find a DSLR camera for Christmas, but I was wondering if there are any good entry level ones at around $300?

New? I think all the new DSLRs start at around $500.

Bernbaum

Picked up the new Nikkor 50 mm 1.4 G AF-S over the weekend in preparation for photos of the kids over christmas.

Bloody glorious lens.

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
Alucrid said:
thats a very lean budget for a DSLR. Just googling "budget dslr" results in articles comparing DSLR's that are from 400-600+
Even the Olympus 420 with a lens is around 450.

Futureman

captive said:
Panasonic GF1
http://www.luminous-landscape.com/reviews/cameras/gh1.shtml
http://www.digitalcameratracker.com/panasonic-gh1-reviews-sample-photos/

Honestly, all that video proved to me is that a 1200-1500 dollar camera can compete with stuff twice the price and more.
Unless someone is already invested in canon I dont know why the gh1 wouldn't be in someones consideration for a slr that shoots video.

I agree, I watched that video and they all provide amazing image quality for the price.

The thing you aren't considering though is that the 5D2 is a MONSTER photo camera compared to the GH1.

captive

Futureman said:
I agree, I watched that video and they all provide amazing image quality for the price.

The thing you aren't considering though is that the 5D2 is a MONSTER photo camera compared to the GH1.
Oh, absolutely it is great camera. Honestly, there are a ton of great camera's by all the manufacturers.
I recently found a TON of film pictures I have done on an old Minolta 700 or something of that sort, and its sooo much easier to get a much better picture now than with film.
It really is amazing the quality these digital cameras produce, even set to automatic.

I've said it before in the thread, all the manufacturers make good cameras, from there it just depends on what you want to do with the camera as to which brand you decide on.

MrPliskin

Banned
Just picked up a 580exII and a Gary Fong light sphere, trying to debate on what lens to pick up next.

I currently have a 15mm-85mm f/4.6-5.0, 50mm f/1.8, and a 70-300 f/4.6-5.0. Trying to decide between new glass, or a new body (as I'm currently shooting on a 20D, a few years old).

Alucrid

Banned
Thanks for the info. I know it's incredibly small but 300-400 is the most I have. I'm thinking about checking on craiglist for a camera and see if I can get one used for a lower price.

I found this for $300.

* Canon Digital Rebel XT EOS 350D body with shoulder strap
* Canon EFS 18-55mm Autofocus lens
* Canon EF 50MM 1.8F ($100 value)

or this for $350

Canon EOS Digital Rebel XT Digital SLR Camera
SIGMA 18-50mm 1:3.5-5.6 Lens . BATTERY GRIP, 2 BATTERIES AND A HI-PRO CAMERA BAG

for $400

Canon eos Rebel Xsi Digital SLR Camera

but it looks slightly fishy without any much info on it.

Opinions?

Dkong

I got my camera second hand too. What I did was take a laptop with my to the seller, take a couple of photos from white walls and some random objects to check for sharpness. The white walls allow you to see right then and there on the laptop if the sensor is clean/not broken etc.
I can't tell you if those prices in dollars are good for that canon kit, but the first deal looks good. People here have been making wonderful pictures with those canon bodies, so you probably don't really need anything more expensive, especially if you're on a tight budget. If you buy used lenses, check if the glass is clean and free from scratches and if all of the moving parts can move without resistance.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Alucrid said:
I found this for $300.

* Canon Digital Rebel XT EOS 350D body with shoulder strap
* Canon EFS 18-55mm Autofocus lens
* Canon EF 50MM 1.8F ($100 value)
If it was me, I'd get this one because of the 50mm f1.8 lens (assuming everything is in working order).

MrPliskin said:
Just picked up a 580exII and a Gary Fong light sphere
Dude, those things are a waste of money. You can get the same effect by sticking a piece of tupperware on your flash.

Alucrid

Banned
Dkong said:
I got my camera second hand too. What I did was take a laptop with my to the seller, take a couple of photos from white walls and some random objects to check for sharpness. The white walls allow you to see right then and there on the laptop if the sensor is clean/not broken etc.
I can't tell you if those prices in dollars are good for that canon kit, but the first deal looks good. People here have been making wonderful pictures with those canon bodies, so you probably don't really need anything more expensive, especially if you're on a tight budget. If you buy used lenses, check if the glass is clean and free from scratches and if all of the moving parts can move without resistance.

Thanks for the info on checking cameras, I'll be sure to do that. I'm waiting for people to weigh in on the camera itself for the price. aka, 8 megapixel good, etc.

Dkong

The amount of pixels that the camera can record is less important than the quality of the camera and it's sensor and the quality of the lenses. I've used my dad's nikon d70s which has 6mp for two years and it can take beautiful pictures. Those canon's can too.

mrkgoo

Alucrid said:
Thanks for the info on checking cameras, I'll be sure to do that. I'm waiting for people to weigh in on the camera itself for the price. aka, 8 megapixel good, etc.

Not really sure how much it's worth, but it's a great camera. It's what I started with. It'll have more than you need to begin with, provided it's in good condition and isn't at the end of its lifespan.

It doesn't have a few of the features that now come standard with SLRs (large LCD, spot metering, picture styles, etc), but would suffice. The 50mm f/1.8, as rentahamster said, makes the deal. Consider that you're kind of paying $70ish for the 50mm, so you'll be paying $230 ish for the camera (and kit lens). Starting out, you'll probably want to buy a 50mm f/1.8 anyway.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Alucrid said:
Rebels are fine. Don't worry about that stuff. Any SLR is leagues better than a point and shoot. Especially with that 50mm prime lens.

MrPliskin

Banned
Rentahamster said:
Dude, those things are a waste of money. You can get the same effect by sticking a piece of tupperware on your flash.

Right, but I can't imagine it looks too professional to shoot someone's wedding with a Rubbermade container strapped to your camera...:lol

I used one recently, and was very pleased with the results. I really didn't pay for it because I didn't think I couldn't get results elsewhere with DIY stuff. I paid for the durability, portability, and "name / look". I don't want to go do photo's for friends / family and show up looking like an amatuer with home made gadgets attached to my camera. I'd rather pay $40 and have something that I know will last, and will present an acceptable image to other potential "customers" (mind you, I shoot almost exclusively for friends and family at low prices, since I don't have the equip / experience necessary to do numerous weddings for high prices).

To each their own, I'm not disappointed with it :)

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
MrPliskin said:
I'd rather pay $40 and have something that I know will last, and will present an acceptable image to other potential "customers" (mind you, I shoot almost exclusively for friends and family at low prices, since I don't have the equip / experience necessary to do numerous weddings for high prices).

To each their own, I'm not disappointed with it :)
Fair enough.

I would argue, though, that sticking half of a plastic frosted alcohol bottle with the top cut off doesn't look that bad. You could also go with a bounce card that would either direct some light forward, or flag some light. As long as you have your bounce technique down pretty well, you should be fine.

As far as portable light softeners go, I much prefer this one as it modifies the flash in a way that I wouldn't be able to replicate as easily with technique or DIY tools.

http://www.lumiquest.com/products/softbox-iii.htm

MrPliskin

Banned
Rentahamster said:
Fair enough.

I would argue, though, that sticking half of a plastic frosted alcohol bottle with the top cut off doesn't look that bad. You could also go with a bounce card that would either direct some light forward, or flag some light. As long as you have your bounce technique down pretty well, you should be fine.

As far as portable light softeners go, I much prefer this one as it modifies the flash in a way that I wouldn't be able to replicate as easily with technique or DIY tools.

I'll have to look into that softbox! Thanks for the link.

I'm trying to decide now what my next big "purchase" will be. I know I need a new body, seeing as how my 20D is feeling a little dated, but I'd also like some faster glass, as most of my glass is rather slow (and the 50mm 1.8 is rather soft, but it has it's moments of genius). I wish I had bigger pools of money to swim in, as opposed to, well, none. :lol

Thanks again for the recommendation though, looks good, will look into it more :)

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
MrPliskin said:
I'll have to look into that softbox! Thanks for the link.

I'm trying to decide now what my next big "purchase" will be. I know I need a new body, seeing as how my 20D is feeling a little dated, but I'd also like some faster glass, as most of my glass is rather slow (and the 50mm 1.8 is rather soft, but it has it's moments of genius). I wish I had bigger pools of money to swim in, as opposed to, well, none. :lol
Well, if you want to make more money off of your photography, then you just gotta get out there. Get more experience by trying to network with newbie models who need photos for their portfolio but can't afford them. Join a photography club to hook up with like minded individuals. Try and find a professional whom you could assist or work for as an understudy or something.

There are many paths you can take. You gotta be proactive, though, as opportunities are not going to find you. You have to find them.

Futureman

Rentahamster said:
Fair enough.

I have one and I barely ever use it. You really have to be VERY close to your subject for it to give any softening effect. Otherwise it's not very different than just using bare bulb w/ a speedlight.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Futureman said:
I have one and I barely ever use it. You really have to be VERY close to your subject for it to give any softening effect. Otherwise it's not very different than just using bare bulb w/ a speedlight.
I use it all the time. It gives me a light source larger than the speedlight itself and is much more portable than an umbrella setup.

I probably should have mentioned that I use it off camera. It would be a bit unwieldy to use it on camera.

Copy paste from my ill advised thread:

New camera time!

Canon EOS 50D (with a 17-85mm lens)

canon_eos_50D_front.jpg

or

Nikon D90 (with an 18-105mm Lens)

nikon-d90-rumor.jpg

Or maybe worth saving a bit extra cash, and getting a D300s?

nikon_d300s_3-4_sm.jpg

...or something else in that $1500 ish Canadian price range.

Anything else you would recomend to get as well? certain usefull filters or extra lenses that are extremely usefull to have?

edit: fixed my pictures :p

Nobiru, is this your first camera or an upgrade? If it's an upgrade I'd save for the 300s but that's only because I've messed around with my Father's 300 and it is most excellent. I shoot a D90 (upgraded from D70 recently) and it is probably one of the best investments I've ever made... I'll let the Canon GAF members convince you to get the 50D, which I've only heard good things about, but I'm a Nikon guy. If you have the time/resources why not get the 300s?

Spasm

Total nub here, who recently faced the same dilemma (at a lower price point tho). Anyhow, I was trying to decide between the Canon XS, XSi, T1i, Nikon D3000, and D5000, and D60. I Read all the reviews at DPReview.com, and ended up ordering the T1i. It's sitting under the tree, right now, calling to me.

Anyhow, check out the reviews for the models you're interested in, figure out what features are most important to you, and decide. Example; I wanted video, long bursts of high speed, and decent high-iso performance. The Nikon's have better EC range, but that wasn't all that important.

the_painted_bird said:
Nobiru, is this your first camera or an upgrade? If it's an upgrade I'd save for the 300s but that's only because I've messed around with my Father's 300 and it is most excellent. I shoot a D90 (upgraded from D70 recently) and it is probably one of the best investments I've ever made... I'll let the Canon GAF members convince you to get the 50D, which I've only heard good things about, but I'm a Nikon guy. If you have the time/resources why not get the 300s?

First camera, but I like to invest in great stuff that will last me a while. Can you say what the main reason you would have for going for the D300s instead of the the D90? The main issue I have with going with the the D300s is the pretty large cost differance, shit in Canada seems to take way longer to come down in price, without the huge sale on it, it will cost nearly double the price, something I'm not to fond of doing, BUT, if I would really be able to tell the differance, then I might just have too....

I guess my real question is more between the D90 and the 50D as they are more realistic choices.

And thank you for the link Spasm, I will get readin pronto.

Dkong

I'll copy-paste too then..

Nobiru, your picture for the D90 is of a D300.
666, you probably mean a f/1.8 lens instead of a f/8 lens, unless Nikon recently released some kind of unusual product that I am unaware of :).

I wouldn't let the choice between Nikon and Canon depend on what brand gets you the best deal at this moment in time. Consider this: if you buy a DSLR, you'll definitely be hooked, start building your skills and with those skills acquire a taste for more expensive gear. Lenses and bodies of a particular brand are generally quite interchangeable, so you'll start building up a collection of stuff soon enough and it'll only work with the brand you choose at this moment. This kinda means that you're 'stuck' with the brand you're choosing right now, unless you've got a money tree, so that's an important point to consider. When choosing a brand, check what kind of camera bodies suit you better, I like Nikon for instance because the camera controls are intuitive for me.

Dkong said:
I'll copy-paste too then..

Nobiru, your picture for the D90 is of a D300.
666, you probably mean a f/1.8 lens instead of a f/8 lens, unless Nikon recently released some kind of unusual product that I am unaware of :).

I wouldn't let the choice between Nikon and Canon depend on what brand gets you the best deal at this moment in time. Consider this: if you buy a DSLR, you'll definitely be hooked, start building your skills and with those skills acquire a taste for more expensive gear. Lenses and bodies of a particular brand are generally quite interchangeable, so you'll start building up a collection of stuff soon enough and it'll only work with the brand you choose at this moment. This kinda means that you're 'stuck' with the brand you're choosing right now, unless you've got a money tree, so that's an important point to consider. When choosing a brand, check what kind of camera bodies suit you better, I like Nikon for instance because the camera controls are intuitive for me.

haha, damn didnt even notice I had the wrong picture, damn you google images!

Im not basing my choice on price between similiar models, I would go with the D90 no questions if that were true, as its $1200 vs the Canons $1600

Im already hooked too, I just need a little push in the right direction, then my wallet will bleed, as there is many filters and lenses I want to buy.

D90 or 50D! arg! so difficult.

Futureman

The 50D isn't $1,600.

You can get the body only for ~$900, and then buy a 50mm 1.8 lens for ~$80. I would suggest learning on a prime lens (a lens that doesn't zoom). It really gets you thinking about composition and keeps you from being lazy (if you want to zoom, MOVE CLOSER).

mrkgoo

Futureman said:
The 50D isn't $1,600.

You can get the body only for ~$900, and then buy a 50mm 1.8 lens for ~$80. I would suggest learning on a prime lens (a lens that doesn't zoom). It really gets you thinking about composition and keeps you from being lazy (if you want to zoom, MOVE CLOSER).

Come on, you know there's more to telephoto lenses than just filling frame. Compression effects and DOF, for example. Perspective changes as you move forward.

Futureman said:
The 50D isn't $1,600.

In Canada it is, McBain camera has just the body for 1200, lens will cost me 200-300. boom still more than a D90.

either way, thats not an issue, I can swing the 400 bucks if I should, I just want the better camera in the end.

Futureman

The longest lens I've ever owned was the 18-55mm lens that came w/ the Rebel XT. So honestly I don't know much about telephoto lenses, other than what I've read.

Futureman

Nobiru said:
In Canada it is, McBain camera has just the body for 1200, lens will cost me 200-300. boom still more than a D90.

either way, thats not an issue, I can swing the 400 bucks if I should, I just want the better camera in the end.

Well the D90 shoots video if that interests you. I wasn't trying to swing you to Canon, I was just commenting on them because that's what I'm familiar with.

I just sold my Nikon 55-200mm AF-S DX VR lens on eBay (hardly used it)...will be using the the money from it towards a Nikon 35mm AF-S DX f/1.8, which I'll find myself using a lot more.

I just hope people won't mind me getting in their face when they want me to take pics of them though :lol

captive

mrkgoo said:
Come on, you know there's more to telephoto lenses than just filling frame. Compression effects and DOF, for example. Perspective changes as you move forward.
this.

Some people really do think that owning telephotos is just lazy though. Which I find weird.
Not saying that futureman does.

rage1973

I received my Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L USM lens today. This is going to be my goto lens for portrait shots. I looked at the reviews on the lens and many people consider it their favorite lens. What do you guys think of this lens as my choice was between this and Canon 24-105mm f/4.0L IS. I will get to try this out at my company's christmas dinner tonight.

mrkgoo

Futureman said:
The longest lens I've ever owned was the 18-55mm lens that came w/ the Rebel XT. So honestly I don't know much about telephoto lenses, other than what I've read.

To be fair, most people only use a telephoto for reach. Honestly, though, that's a fine argument as well, because you can't always get close enough. Mountain range? Walking for days may not be convenient. Zoo? Getting into the tiger enclosure is not that good idea either.

I know what' you're saying - filling a frame by getting closer is actually a very good thing in many ways. It engages you as a photographer - it can benefit by actually being 'in' the scene with what you are capturing. You don't always want that though.

Anyway, back to perspective - by moving further away and using a telephoto lens, you increase the ratio of you-to-subject:you-to-background ratio, in effect making the background appear closer than if you used a wider angle lens and moved closer to keep the subject the same size on the frame.

Ever see photo snaps of people at a famous landmark? People often use the widest focal length to 'fit it all in'. The effect, then is that the background appears really small. "Oh it looked bigger when we were there!". By using a long focal length and standing further back, the background appears larger. Helpful hint to travellers who want to make their landmarks look bigger in the background of their subjects.

The same effect is used to make the sun and moon look large on the horizon. Use a tele photo lens pointed at trees on the horizon to enlarge it.

Examples:

Wide:
242iww7.jpg

31485dl.jpg

fxatdv.jpg

Tele:
208il3s.jpg

2vj3gw9.jpg

2r47qcp.jpg

zhenming

GamePnoy74 said:
I just sold my Nikon 55-200mm AF-S DX VR lens on eBay (hardly used it)...will be using the the money from it towards a Nikon 35mm AF-S DX f/1.8, which I'll find myself using a lot more.

I just hope people won't mind me getting in their face when they want me to take pics of them though :lol
great lens choice.

Dkong

Wow Mrkgoo, I don't think I've ever commented on that last photo you posted, that one is simply sublime.

Back to Nobiru, you sound like you've already got a lot of stuff/'needs' in mind for buying equipment, so you should also consider what kind of lenses/lens market is going to suit you. I get jealous of all the glass canon releases at times.

captive

Since mrkgoo beat me with great example images of his own before i could post some examples. This is a picture i found very helpful chronicling the field of view of different focal lengths.
oly-fov3-1.jpg

captive said:
Since mrkgoo beat me with great example images of his own before i could post some examples. This is a picture i found very helpful chronicling the field of view of different focal lengths.
oly-fov3-1.jpg

Isn't that chart misleading since Olympus has a crop factor of 2? 12mm on Olympus is not the same as 12mm on APS-C.

Futureman

captive said:
this.

Some people really do think that owning telephotos is just lazy though. Which I find weird.
Not saying that futureman does.

I'm not talking about telephotos, I'm talking about prime vs. zoom. There are prime telephoto lenses (I'm sure you know that, but I'm just trying to clarify). I just think it's a good way to learn, one less variable to be wondering about.

I'm just going by how I learned photography. I used an old Canon film camera w/ 2 prime lenses for years until I moved onto a Canon Digital Rebel XT.

This is assuming the dude up above is just starting photography (which I think is what he was saying).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom