• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Camera Equipment Megathread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lender

lMXR6vQ.jpg

Got this in the mail today. My very first strobe, the Indra500 TTL.

So, my mom has a Canon Rebel T3-d something or other, important part being it's an APS-C EF/S Canon camera. She's wanting some lenses, mainly a 35mm and a 50mm, and is PARTICULARLY interested in some old vintage manual lenses. Problem though is, Canon FD lenses can't mount on an EF/S camera! Lame. Does anyone have any suggestions on some good lens systems that work well on an EF/S camera? I've heard Olympus, but I want to know if they have good quality lenses for not too much, like the FD lenses do.

Sesuadra

Unconfirmed Member
So, my mom has a Canon Rebel T3-d something or other, important part being it's an APS-C EF/S Canon camera. She's wanting some lenses, mainly a 35mm and a 50mm, and is PARTICULARLY interested in some old vintage manual lenses. Problem though is, Canon FD lenses can't mount on an EF/S camera! Lame. Does anyone have any suggestions on some good lens systems that work well on an EF/S camera? I've heard Olympus, but I want to know if they have good quality lenses for not too much, like the FD lenses do.

why not an adapter?
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/742933-REG/Vello_LA_CEF_CFD_Canon_EOS_To_Canon.html

Ty4on

The EF mount has one of the shortest flange distances so you can adapt a lot of old glass like M42 and Nikon F. The glass usually needs an aperture ring, but most of the old lenses have that. Nikon still sells lenses with one, so it's not hard to find :p
M42 was not a standard manufacture mount, but rather something many different companies used without taking into account cross brand compatibility. That means all M42 lenses may not work on all adapters. Many Mamiya M42 mount lenses as an example had an aperture pin (for metering) that was very close to the body and could jam.

One issue is that Canon's focus confirm needs a chip to work. You can mount one yourself (or buy an adapter with one) as the lens itself has no effect on this. Nikon and Pentax cameras have no issue getting focus confirm to work on old, chipless glass.

Because that has optics which degrade the IQ, which is less than ideal.

The EF mount has one of the shortest flange distances so you can adapt a lot of old glass like M42 and Nikon F. The glass usually needs an aperture ring, but most of the old lenses have that. Nikon still sells lenses with one, so it's not hard to find :p
M42 was not a standard manufacture mount, but rather something many different companies used without taking into account cross brand compatibility. That means all M42 lenses may not work on all adapters. Many Mamiya M42 mount lenses as an example had an aperture pin (for metering) that was very close to the body and could jam.

One issue is that Canon's focus confirm needs a chip to work. You can mount one yourself (or buy an adapter with one) as the lens itself has no effect on this. Nikon and Pentax cameras have no issue getting focus confirm to work on old, chipless glass.

What is focus confirm? I've heard that since Nikon glass still works on new Nikons very well or even without an adapter (or something), that they are still rather expensive, so I'd like to avoid that. But it seems like maybe Pentax is a good option?

Ty4on

What is focus confirm? I've heard that since Nikon glass still works on new Nikons very well or even without an adapter (or something), that they are still rather expensive, so I'd like to avoid that. But it seems like maybe Pentax is a good option?
The AF system will tell you when you're in focus. On Nikons the AF dot in the viewfinder lights up. I think you also get a beep if you haven't turned it off.

Nikon glass works on all modern Nikon SLRs, but still has some cheap glass. In my experience the biggest effect on price is perception of quality so well known glass on unpopular mounts still commands a high price. My best bet is to find someone selling a pack of cheap glass as it is hard to find ok glass under 50-100$.

Cdammen

Got my Ricoh GR two days ago, went on a hike with it, and then did some stuff out and about the city and brought it along my bicycle route. It's amazing having something so small that can pack a DSLR punch when it comes to picture quality, also, having this amount of manual control over a compact is mind-blowing. I'm really enjoying hyperfocal / snap focusing. There's like almost no delay with it enabled since the camera doesn't focus it's always set to that distance. I have it set to 2m, then stop down to ƒ/8, and keep it a 320 and just compose and snap away. Everything about 1m (3.2 feet) from me is in focus to infinity.

1438255430-20150730-IMG_9283.jpg

I highly recommend this little camera to anyone that needs something small to carry around.

Here are a couple of vertical shots. I might need to tone down the post-resize sharpening, since the camera/lens combination and the lack of AA-filter is enough to cut yourself on hehe...

hitsugi

I really like the GR.. I feel that camera is slept on a bit due to the RX100 and X100 line up, but it can often be had for less than them

Gear photo!

I only took photography as a hobby a year ago so don't expect much.

Cameras:
Asahi Pentax Spotmatic II
Sony ILCE-6000

Lenses:
SEL24240
SEL35F18
Samyang 12mm f/2.0 NCS CS
Super-Multi-Coated Takumar 1:1.4/50
SMC Takumar 1:1.4/50
Minolta MD ROKKOR 50MM 1:1.7
RMC Tokina 35-105mm 1:3.5-4.3

And my favourite:
ZENIT HELIOS-44-2 2/58 (got it brand new never used)

Watcher

So im a complete beginner to photography and ive been doing a lot of research these past few weeks. Im interested in doing macrophotography. The camera im looking at is the sony a6000 mostly because of the convenient size.

I was hoping someone could point me in the right direction as far as lenses go. Im interested in shooting insects, small animals and flowers mostly. im unclear on weather i should get a prime or a zoom lens. thanks!

edit: after looking around, seems there arent many options for macro lenses for e-mount cameras. maybe a standard beginner dslr would suit me? something like the nikon d3300?

So im a complete beginner to photography and ive been doing a lot of research these past few weeks. Im interested in doing macrophotography. The camera im looking at is the sony a6000 mostly because of the convenient size.

I was hoping someone could point me in the right direction as far as lenses go. Im interested in shooting insects, small animals and flowers mostly. im unclear on weather i should get a prime or a zoom lens. thanks!

edit: after looking around, seems there arent many options for macro lenses for e-mount cameras. maybe a standard beginner dslr would suit me? something like the nikon d3300?

I think you'd be surprised at the results a zoom can get you. This is something I took recently with the SEL16-50 kit lens for the NEX-5 (which is the lens that ships with the a6000).

DSC08079 by Tyler Jacobs, on Flickr

That shot is about as macro as you're going to get with that lens, but it's suited me well. I like doing macro shots, but I don't necessarily have the money to shell out for a dedicated lens.

Ty4on

The Nikon 40mm micro is also quite affordable. For insects longer focal lengths are advisable, but they are also more expensive (like the 85mm micro which also has internal focus and is less likely to scare insects). Both of those are designed for cheaper APS-C Nikon DSLRs like the D3300. Nikon has tons of older macro lenses and a lot of people shoot macro without auto focus.

An even cheaper way of getting a macro lens is with extension tubes. If you focus a lens with focal length X to infinity and fit extension tubes the length of X between the lens and camera the camera (50mm for a 50mm lens etc) you'll get 1 to 1 magnification. Macro lenses will usually be much sharper, but it can be a cheap introduction.

Edit: I thought the 40mm had internal focus, but only the 85mm had it.

Why not use an older macro lens? They are cheap, compatible, and AF isn't very useful for macro anyway. And they are beautiful too. I still need to use mine to actually take a good photo, rather than a test photo, but a Canon FD 50mm 3.5 macro gets me some very nice IQ and bokeh for about $80 after adapter.

Watcher

thanks for the replies! ive never even thought about an adapter, ill have to look into that. im unsure on what even qualifies as an old macro lens and what would be a good deal. This is pretty overwhelming, looks i have a lot more research to do. Also, my wallet is already weaping.

RuGalz

thanks for the replies! ive never even thought about an adapter, ill have to look into that. im unsure on what even qualifies as an old macro lens and what would be a good deal. This is pretty overwhelming, looks i have a lot more research to do. Also, my wallet is already weaping.

You can also get Raynox 150 or 250 instead of dedicated macro lens to start out. Raynox works well enough and simple use, and you can just use native lens with it. Mid-long telephoto lenses work better. I carry it with me when I don't feel like carrying my macro lens. Sample photos from Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/groups/raynoxdcr250/pool/

Watcher

You can also get Raynox 150 or 250 instead of dedicated macro lens to start out. Raynox works well enough and simple use, and you can just use native lens with it. Mid-long telephoto lenses work better. I carry it with me when I don't feel like carrying my macro lens. Sample photos from Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/groups/raynoxdcr250/pool/

wow those shots are AMAZING! those are the kind of photos i would like to shoot. Would the kit lens on an a6000 work with the raynox 150? Would it be better to skip the kit lens and get a "nifty 50" prime lens?

RuGalz

wow those shots are AMAZING! those are the kind of photos i would like to shoot. Would the kit lens on an a6000 work with the raynox 150? Would it be better to skip the kit lens and get a "nifty 50" prime lens?

It probably won't work on the 16-50mm. You probably want the 55-210mm or anything > 50mm. Also do a bit research on the 150 vs 250. 250 gives a bit more magnification but working distance is closer, etc. You may also need either step-up or step-down ring to use either the 150 or 250 depending on the lens you put it on, those are pretty cheap however.

You may want to read this just to understand all your options to do macro. Just ignore parts that are only relevant to Pentax. http://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/...o-buying-exploiting-lens-ultraclose-work.html

I personally hate 50mm focal length for general use on APSC size sensor, so you are asking the wrong person lol. It's just an awkward focal length imo.

lupin23rd

Anyone using the Manfrotto BeFree tripod? Looking for something to take with me on future trips to take pictures of historical sites, and wondering if this is decent. Don't want to get into much higher price ranges unless it's absolutely necessary.

Also, anyone used or using Canon rangefinders? My research into tripods today devolved into heavy lenses, then rare lenses, then I spent hours looking into the Canon P and now I want one. Fortunately common sense prevailed and I didn't actually order one on a whim haha

I grabbed an AE-1 Program off of Craigslist the other day so here is my little family portrait.

Canon AE-1 Program w/ 50 mm F1.8
Sony NEX-5T w/ Sony E 16-50 mm F3.5-5.6
Samyang 8mm F2.8 UMC Fisheye
Pentax SMC Takumar 50mm F1.4 (adapter for NEX)
Lomography Konstructor (crown jewel obv)

Being new to using a film camera, the first thing I did after shooting my first roll of film was break the rewind knob after not releasing the crank. I'm waiting for a replacement knob screw in the mail. -_-

I'm having a lot of fun shooting with the AE-1 Program though. I love the analog feel of everything. Most of my day shots came out a little over-exposed and washed out on my first roll of film though. I need to jot down what settings I am using and get a better feel for it all.

dmshaposv

I just got a sony RX100 MK IV to compliment my 5D.

I'm testing the waters before I switch to the sony system. (a7 and stuff)

First impressions - Sony menus are janky as FUCK. who the hell designed their UI?

Donos

I just got a sony RX100 MK IV to compliment my 5D.

I'm testing the waters before I switch to the sony system. (a7 and stuff)

First impressions - Sony menus are janky as FUCK. who the hell designed their UI?

lol, that is already the "new", way improved menue compared to the NEX cams.
NEX-6 users (like me) still have little hope for a Firmware update to the AX000, RX10/100,A7 menues :(. I can live with how it is now but it's really bad.
I really like the Fuji UI.

RX100 is very good for taking pics/vids at parties/festivals.Still fits into the backpockets.

dmshaposv

Ive played around with an nex-5 before. Garbage UI. Terrible menus that seem to have become even worse as sony keeps shoving more features. More features are awesome, but please fix the organization of your menus. Jeez, no wonder canon and nikon have mastered handling/usability in their cameras to perfection (at least for stills).

The image and sensor are quite good. Outdoor/nighttime pics are almost as good as my old canon 600d and that was an aps-c sensor.

I need to practise and learn how to use s-log footage. The first 4k vid i took was on this with s-log on and its noisy as hell. Apparently it shoots at 1600 iso at s-log?!

Ty4on

I need to practise and learn how to use s-log footage. The first 4k vid i took was on this with s-log on and its noisy as hell. Apparently it shoots at 1600 iso at s-log?!
Yeah, the darkest shadows on s-log are only there if to really need them and should otherwise be crushed.

Yeah, no one who has a Sony loves it because of the menus, haha. The less time spent in there the better.

That being said, the NEX menus are even worse. I don't know how people live with those. X_x

Groof

Yeah, no one who has a Sony loves it because of the menus, haha. The less time spent in there the better.

That being said, the NEX menus are even worse. I don't know how people live with those. X_x

They're absolutely hoooooooooooooooooooorrible. I love my 5R but fuck if I don't dread having to go into the settings.

Donos

There is/was a site with a project who tried to build a "hacked" firmware for the NEXes with improved menues/new menues but i think nothing happened there or Sony did send in Ninjas.
Still play with the idea of upgrading my NEX-6 body for a used A6000 for better sensor/AF speed and better menues but with a kid on the horizon, i just can't justify it.
I also need a car -_-. Peasant GAF represent.

There is/was a site with a project who tried to build a "hacked" firmware for the NEXes with improved menues/new menues but i think nothing happened there or Sony did send in Ninjas.
Still play with the idea of upgrading my NEX-6 body for a used A6000 for better sensor/AF speed and better menues but with a kid on the horizon, i just can't justify it.
I also need a car -_-. Peasant GAF represent.
You can't find anything used or refurbished at an affordable price? That's how I'm getting my dslr.

Donos

You can't find anything used or refurbished at an affordable price? That's how I'm getting my dslr.

Sure i can. That's how i did it from NEX 5N > 5R > 6. People often sell their stuff 20-30 % cheaper after 1 month of use. But i'm still going to loose money when i'm selling the NEX-6 body and buying a used A6000 one. Just for some "minor" updates.

Sure i can. That's how i did it from NEX 5N > 5R > 6. People often sell their stuff 20-30 % cheaper after 1 month of use. But i'm still going to loose money when i'm selling the NEX-6 body and buying a used A6000 one. Just for some "minor" updates.
Oh ok yeah, the minor updates thing makes a lot of sense as well, so if it's not worth it don't bother, I'm part of PeasantGaf too so I understand the struggle.

Forsete

NEX menus were horrible.

Glad A7 went with the "old style", I feel much more at home with it since it has been the same style since A100.

Thanks. This is going to give me nightmares:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/125504739@N05/20390578076/in/pool-raynoxdcr250/

Herbs

Banned
Just picked up an XT-1. First foray into "traditional mirrorless" though I love my x100s. Still trying to find something to bring along and leave behind the Canon kit for strictly work stuff. Juts hate the idea of investing in a whole new setup.

bob page

I just picked up a Sony A6000 and love it so far. Thinking about ditching the kit lens and going with a prime though.

If I'm mainly looking to shoot stills & rarely video, should I just go with the Sigma 30mm or is the Sony SEL35F18 still worth considering with its premium?

dmshaposv

I just picked up a Sony A6000 and love it so far. Thinking about ditching the kit lens and going with a prime though.

If I'm mainly looking to shoot stills & rarely video, should I just go with the Sigma 30mm or is the Sony SEL35F18 still worth considering with its premium?

I have used the sony 35 1.8 + nex 5 combo = you will never use any other lens again.

And this is the nex 5, which has shitty AF, jank menus, e.t.c.

Although, if you ever want to upgrade to full-frame e mount it might not be worth it since it is only for the cropped sensor. Still the lens has retained its value.

Groof

I was thinking of maybe getting the FE 28/2 instead of the 35/1.8. It seems to be real sharp and fast, but you lose out on OSS and it's a bit more expensive.

I love the fov on my FD 28 on the APS-C sensor.

The FE will also have the benefit of working on the a7 series, so there's always that. Though if 28mm is a focal length you'll find yourself using on full frame is something to consider.

bob page

Yeah SEL35F18 is amazing.

Sigma 30 is not bad either.

The premium $$$ is for the 1.8 and OSS.
I found a deal for a 30mm Sigma & 55-210mm Sony for $280 shipped so couldn't pass that up. The Sony 35mm is definitely on my list for down the line though.

dmshaposv

I was thinking of maybe getting the FE 28/2 instead of the 35/1.8. It seems to be real sharp and fast, but you lose out on OSS and it's a bit more expensive.

I love the fov on my FD 28 on the APS-C sensor.

If ur gonna upgrade to a7 body, 28/2 all the way. Future a7 cams will already have in built stabilization. Also its a helluva good lens.

U can also switch to crop mode in the a7 to get the same field of view ur used to in ur aps-c cameras.

Herbs

Banned
Anyone have any experience adapting Canon FL mounts to Fuji x mounts? Not sure what adapter to go with. I think FD adapters work as well but just not sure. Just got a 55mm 1.2 FL and want to see how it looks on my XT-1.

FStop7

Banned
I'm not a big time "gear acquisition" person but I've been working on a list of cameras I want to try. What's on your list?

mamiya7ii.jpg

Mamiya 7ii - It's a light and compact 6x7 format rangefinder. It's got a great reputation and the sample images I see from it are consistently gorgeous. Everyone I know who's used one has said it's a good introduction to medium format photography and is a much easier piece of gear to transport than the next camera on my list, the

hasselblad-500c-b.jpeg

Hasselblad 500C/M - One of the all time classics. It's a studio camera, or at least a controlled environment camera. Difficult to focus in hurry. Not something you run and gun with out on the street, unless you're zone focusing or really really good.

_0012623.jpg

Hasselblad XPAN - I've wanted one of these ever since they were first released. I've played around with panoramas for as long as I can remember. I don't like "stitched" panoramas and I generally don't like crops, either. Recently, I've seen some amazing photos shot with an XPAN on the streets of Havana and it totally re-ignited my interest in getting one.

M6Traveller_7.jpg

Leica M6/MP - Probably the next photography related purchase I'll make. I already have a digital M and I want a film body to complement it. The best thing about M mount cameras is the huge wealth of lenses available, including older LTM lenses with M adapters.

94996624-M.jpg

Contax G2 - I have heard nothing but raves about this camera. It's an auto focusing rangefinder, which is fascinating in of itself. The Zeiss designed glass is supposed to be nearly unmatched because of the innovative way they were able to get the glass closer to the frame.

ThePhoblographer_AbramGoglanian_RicohGR_ProductImages-1-680x453.jpg

Ricoh GR - The only digital camera on my list, as of today. It's a huge value for the money. It produces a very distinct looking image, particularly in black and white, and makes a great backup camera if you're traveling with a kit. It's also a perfect camera to carry with you on a daily basis.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom