• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Camera Equipment Megathread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Shit that is one big lens compared to the camera body it's attached to. Man, for a fun hobby there's almost too much science in it. Oddly enough I've gotten some of my best photos without actually zooming in, but I can see why the public would demand something like that. I'll probably eventually get a decent telephoto, but not till I can either justify the price or make money off of it.

BJK

If you're shooting Canon that 50mm is a beast of good lens. My advice is save up for a used 70-200mm f/4 IS. Worth the price. If you want to stick with prime go for the 200mm 2.8. Can't lose in either scenario.

You can get decent sharpness out of the 200mm f/2.8 prime:

...You Could Drive a Truck Through. by Benjamin Krautkramer, on Flickr

More pics from that game in the album; I shot the whole series using my 200 mm prime.

While I have the prime, I can honestly say there were times when I would have liked to have the ability to zoom out to see more of the action when the teams were on my end of the field (seats were in the end zone). There are definite trade-offs between the prime and the 70-200 f/4 IS.

You can get decent sharpness out of the 200mm f/2.8 prime:

...You Could Drive a Truck Through. by Benjamin Krautkramer, on Flickr

More pics from that game in the album; I shot the whole series using my 200 mm prime.

While I have the prime, I can honestly say there were times when I would have liked to have the ability to zoom out to see more of the action when the teams were on my end of the field (seats were in the end zone). There are definite trade-offs between the prime and the 70-200 f/4 IS.
Wow some of these are really good...ref is #ded:
15576824701_7ab780ab3a.jpg
[/url]Sorry Ref! by Benjamin Krautkramer, on Flickr[/IMG]
I have a lot to learn with this lens thing, but I'll get there when I can afford to...I'm currently just going to concentrate on getting better with what I have...though my next lens will be a refurbished Sigma 1.4 30mm Art series lens.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I bought a tamron 14-150 m4/3 from amazon warehouse ('as new'), but I can't help feeling it seems a little soft. Now I know being an all in one zoom it'll be inherently less good than a shorter range zoom or a prime. But even taking that into account I'm not convinced. I suppose it could have been a return from someone not happy with it?

Is there a good way to properly test it? I've just taken a couple of test shots of a wall across the street on a tripod, but it is a dull day and maybe I should choose a different subject?

Have any of you bought from amazon warehouse and been happy with it? Maybe lenses aren't a good choice as there is more likely to be a return because of softness or front/back focus?

Ty4on

Is there a good way to properly test it? I've just taken a couple of test shots of a wall across the street on a tripod, but it is a dull day and maybe I should choose a different subject?

Check if all the corners are equal and check review samples to see if they look any better.
I would also do in indoors on a dull day.

You could try manually focusing, but MFT lenses shouldn't front/back focus.

Cat got in the room and knocked over a bunch of stuff...including my K1000 with 50mm f2 lens. It no longer focuses (stuck ring) and I don't have any extra lenses for that particular camera =/

Though it now works as a magnifying glass.

21115574302_7724f98215_b.jpg

20503192694_5019a0f746_o.jpg

Ty4on

Cat got in the room and knocked over a bunch of stuff...including my K1000 with 50mm f2 lens. It no longer focuses (stuck ring) and I don't have any extra lenses for that particular camera =/

Though it now works as a magnifying glass.
image.php

Sorry, I just had to.

On the bright side the 50mm f2 is probably the cheapest Pentax lenses on the used market. You can get one in exellent condition for less than 40$ on Keh or upgrade to the f1.7 or f1.4.

DJ_Lae

We've been due for a new DSLR for a while now and I think I may end up caving this weekend as stores are having some relevant sales.

I've basically narrowed it down to the D5500 as my wife really wants to be able to upload photos as quick as possible (her original idea was to just get a newer phone with a better camera than her iPhone 5, but no, no I wasn't having any of that).

I'm not locked into Nikon but I have enough equipment (couple flashes, 55-200 lens) that it makes the most sense. And I realize the 3300 and the 7200 both are capable of wireless transfer with the doohickey...but it also sticks out the side of the camera from what I've seen, which is a no-go.

We're currently using a D40, which has served us well. It's just, you know, really showing its age now and being able to shoot video on the same device would be nice too.

So my question is about kit lenses. We have the 18-55 that came with the D40, which seems to be a couple of revisions ago even ignoring that it has no VR. I can save a couple hundred bucks by just going with the 18-55 VR II or go with the 18-140 bundle. It's appealing having a more flexible lens but at the same time that newer 18-55 looks more compact than the older and would probably be nice to have around. Any suggestions?

Ty4on

We've been due for a new DSLR for a while now and I think I may end up caving this weekend as stores are having some relevant sales.

I've basically narrowed it down to the D5500 as my wife really wants to be able to upload photos as quick as possible (her original idea was to just get a newer phone with a better camera than her iPhone 5, but no, no I wasn't having any of that).

While it works, the wireless transfer is far from elegant or fast.

From my understanding you enable wifi on the camera which turns it into a hotspot, connect your phone to it, write in the security code, transfer the photo to your phone, close the app and disconnect the wifi connection to the camera, upload your photo as normal.

Samsung cameras are apparently much better and let you upload straight to your account from your camera.

As a heavily budget conscious photographer, is it bad that I'm considering one of the Samyang 300mm mirror lenses? Native Emount, tiny as hell, and honestly I think I like the bokeh, as long as I can get it under control. $200 for a 300mm is also a very attractive price for a lens, so I'm finding it hard to be dissuaded from it.

Also, since I really like manual focus lenses, Samyang lenses seem to be perfect for me when I have the budget for new lenses -- being able to go straight onto a full frame A7 when I upgrade is also a very nice bonus.

As a heavily budget conscious photographer, is it bad that I'm considering one of the Samyang 300mm mirror lenses? Native Emount, tiny as hell, and honestly I think I like the bokeh, as long as I can get it under control. $200 for a 300mm is also a very attractive price for a lens, so I'm finding it hard to be dissuaded from it.

Also, since I really like manual focus lenses, Samyang lenses seem to be perfect for me when I have the budget for new lenses -- being able to go straight onto a full frame A7 when I upgrade is also a very nice bonus.

I have a Samyang 8mm f2.8 e-mount lens that I use for pictures of the stars. I love it. Good build quality and very sharp.

I don't know anything about the specifics of mirror lenses though.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Any recommendations for longer canon FD lenses for a micro 4/3 body? I have the following from my father in law, but wondering whether I should be looking for something else.
- canon 28mm f2.8
- canon 50mm f1.8 (but I already have an Olympus 45mm f1.8 so this probably won't get much use. Is the 1.4 worth seeking out?)
- canon 135mm f3.5
- tokina 70-210 f4-5.6. But the real element on this seems a bit cloudy so not sure if it is any good.

In addition in native m4/3 I have
- Olympus 14-42 kit lens (the little one that folds away really small)
- Olympus 45mm f1.8
- Tamron 14-150mm

mrklaw

MrArseFace

It seems a lot of cameras are like this. On android you can at least often set up the phone connection directly in the app, but on iOS you literally have to go into settings and manually connect to the hotspot created. ,y Olympus OMD E10 is the same, as is my toshiba wifi SD card. My daughter's compact canon ixus can actually connect as long as both camera and phone are on the same wifi network - which is how they should all do it. I suppose the direct connect method is in case you're in the furled away from a home LAN. But they should at least offer LAN connect as an option.

Any recommendations for longer canon FD lenses for a micro 4/3 body? I have the following from my father in law, but wondering whether I should be looking for something else.
- canon 28mm f2.8
- canon 50mm f1.8 (but I already have an Olympus 45mm f1.8 so this probably won't get much use. Is the 1.4 worth seeking out?)
- canon 135mm f3.5
- tokina 70-210 f4-5.6. But the real element on this seems a bit cloudy so not sure if it is any good.

In addition in native m4/3 I have
- Olympus 14-42 kit lens (the little one that folds away really small)
- Olympus 45mm f1.8
- Tamron 14-150mm

I assume you mean longer than 210mm? I've got an a6000, and I'm looking at either getting one of the Minolta 300mm's, or that mirror lens I mentioned earlier (Tiny, cheap, new, but a little quirky). There's a few Minolta 300mm's, each with their pros and cons, though I imagine you'll be looking for the MD mount version.

DJ_Lae

I ended up making a different choice - went with the 18-55 lens and instead of upgrading to the 18-140, I bought a 35mm prime. It was on sale and seemed to be a better choice for most of the stuff we take pictures of (my wife's crafts and the kids).

After messing with it a bit, I'm kicking myself for not buying one years ago. So much faster than the kit lenses.

It did seem a bit janky from what I read, although all the SLR options were like that (more or less). Still less of a hassle than copying to a computer first via reader or cable. I'd sooner they all just join the same network if I'm at home, but that seems to be limited to mirrorless or smaller point and shoots and I'm not really interested in any of those cameras.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I assume you mean longer than 210mm? I've got an a6000, and I'm looking at either getting one of the Minolta 300mm's, or that mirror lens I mentioned earlier (Tiny, cheap, new, but a little quirky). There's a few Minolta 300mm's, each with their pros and cons, though I imagine you'll be looking for the MD mount version.

I think 150-300 would be good. I think the tokina is poor quality due to age maybe (has some clouding on the rear glass that I can't clean off), so I think the 135 would be the longest usable.

I was more looking at whether those FD lenses were considered any good, or if there were better options. Basically my 45 1.8 is the only decent prime I have so looking for any options longer than that. If I can use those canon FD lenses, great. If not, then I'm looking for alternative suggestions.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I wonder if m4/3 can be too small? With the OMD E10 it feels like I'm pinching it between the fingers on my right hand, vs my old canon 700d (not large) which my fingers felt wrapped around with the shutter and control dials naturally at hand. And because it doesn't nearly in my hand it almost feels heavier

I think 150-300 would be good. I think the tokina is poor quality due to age maybe (has some clouding on the rear glass that I can't clean off), so I think the 135 would be the longest usable.

I was more looking at whether those FD lenses were considered any good, or if there were better options. Basically my 45 1.8 is the only decent prime I have so looking for any options longer than that. If I can use those canon FD lenses, great. If not, then I'm looking for alternative suggestions.

I'm not entirely certain what the focal length would end up looking like on an m4/3rds body, so if you just mean longer in general, you could probably find a good 200mm on keh.com or somewhere like that. The cool bit about it is you might find out about a lens you didn't know in there, and end up going with that.

I just noticed you mentioning the Canon 1.4 50mm. I have both the 1.4 and the 1.8, and the 1.4 is a marked step up. More light, clearer picture, though it doesn't *quite* match my native Sony 50 1.8 in terms of sharpness wide open (but, of course, this is comparing a 1.4 to a 1.8). Overall, I use the Canon 1.4 almost exclusively just because I like manual focusing more, and the added light is always a plus.

I wonder if m4/3 can be too small? With the OMD E10 it feels like I'm pinching it between the fingers on my right hand, vs my old canon 700d (not large) which my fingers felt wrapped around with the shutter and control dials naturally at hand. And because it doesn't nearly in my hand it almost feels heavier

Yeah I kind of feel the same with the E-M5 II, there's so many buttons I have to be carefull not press any accidentally.

Using my D600 was more comfortable, but carrying it around definitely wasn't.

And in my opinion the big plus of m43 is the small high quality lenses.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Yeah I kind of feel the same with the E-M5 II, there's so many buttons I have to be carefull not press any accidentally.

Using my D600 was more comfortable, but carrying it around definitely wasn't.

And in my opinion the big plus of m43 is the small high quality lenses.

Brb, going to set up a Kickstarter for an inflatable m4/3 handgrip :)

Thraktor

Speaking of small MFT bodies, I just picked up a second-hand GM1 in very good nick for €230.

5dmk2_gm1_small.jpg

I've found I'm not taking nearly as many photos since I moved from a 550D to my 5D MkII, and while the relative lack of free time I have now compared to my college days is certainly one aspect of it, it doesn't help that photography now involves lugging around an increasingly heavy bag with almost a kilogram of camera and a bunch of full-frame lenses.

I don't have any lenses for the GM1 yet, but I'm hoping to pick up an Olympus 25mm f1.8 as soon as I can find a good deal or a decent second-hand unit. Should be a perfect compact walk-around combo.

I had a little windfall, and I am really bummed that I didn't jump on that $500 Sony a7 when I had the chance. If I would've known the day after I would've come into some money I would've been all over it.

It's hard to stop myself walking over to Best Buy and grabbing a brand new a7II. I should probably just shove it under my mattress like a responsible adult. :(

I had a little windfall, and I am really bummed that I didn't jump on that $500 Sony a7 when I had the chance. If I would've known the day after I would've come into some money I would've been all over it.

It's hard to stop myself walking over to Best Buy and grabbing a brand new a7II. I should probably just shove it under my mattress like a responsible adult. :(

Dude if I had a chance at a $500 a7, no question, it's mine.

Quick question! Should I buy my friend's NEX-6 with a Sigma lens? He just got the sensor professionally cleaned, too. I'm going to Japan for three months next week and I don't have anything to take pictures with (I have an iPhone 4S).

He wants $350.

Edit: or could I get a deal like that on the same camera in Tokyo?

Quick question! Should I buy my friend's NEX-6 with a Sigma lens? He just got the sensor professionally cleaned, too. I'm going to Japan for three months next week and I don't have anything to take pictures with (I have an iPhone 4S).

He wants $350.

I've seen them go for cheaper on eBay, not by much and not frequently though. They're usually more than that.

RuGalz

a7ii will be in the same boat soon enough anyway...

mrklaw

MrArseFace

He wants $350.

What's the lens? I'd almost be tempted to get an a6000 with kit lens, especially if Sony are doing cashback deals in the US like they are in the UK at the moment.

teiresias

I think I've decided I'm not taking nearly as many pictures as I used to because I don't want to tote my D90 and lenses around. What's a good tangential form factor that gives the same options and smaller size? I haven't been keeping up too well. Micro 4/3rds?

I knew it must be better, but I wasn't sure by how much. I think I'm sold!

Yeah, the kit lens starts off at 3.5, which is already... not ideal... but then by the time you get to 35mm, it ends up somewhere around 4, and then by 50 it's 5.6, which is terrible. It's really only good as a 16mm IMO.

RuGalz

I think I've decided I'm not taking nearly as many pictures as I used to because I don't want to tote my D90 and lenses around. What's a good tangential form factor that gives the same options and smaller size? I haven't been keeping up too well. Micro 4/3rds?

I think if you don't need f2.8 zoom or mostly shoot with prime lenses. Same size sensor MILC will give you similar image quality with less weight and physical size (Fuji, Sony). Otherwise, it's better to go skip one size and go m43 (Olympus, Panasonic) if slimming down is the primary goal.

mrklaw

MrArseFace

M4/3 is a good choice with lots of lens options.

Alternatives would be the Sony a6000 or Fuji XT which are small but have APSC size sensors.

Just looked at the D90, and it looks like an APS-C camera. There's a host of mirrorless cameras that use APS-C, which will behave much the same as your D90 in terms of lens lengths, lighting, etc. Alternatively, there's also m4/3rds cameras, which will have an additional crop factor, but will as such be smaller. You'll receive a huge reduction in size going from a DSLR to a Mirrorless, and another reduction going to m4/3rds. However, having used an a5000, I far prefer the slight extra chunk in the a6000, and it's still conveniently small, so I'd take a trip to a nearby camera store (or Best Buy), and get your hands on some demo units.

jwk94

Camera GAF, I need your help. My girlfriend's mom loves taking photos of the family and has an extensive collection of photos from many years back. Her camera is a small digital camera that could be from the early 2000s. I want to get her a sonny rx100 mk2, but the size of that lense at the front worries me. On her current camera, I think a flap just opens. Uou don't have some large lens protruding out of the device. Is there a way to take pictures with the mk2 without the lens popping out like that? I wouldn't want her to drop it or something and ruin the camera.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Camera GAF, I need your help. My girlfriend's mom loves taking photos of the family and has an extensive collection of photos from many years back. Her camera is a small digital camera that could be from the early 2000s. I want to get her a sonny rx100 mk2, but the size of that lense at the front worries me. On her current camera, I think a flap just opens. Uou don't have some large lens protruding out of the device. Is there a way to take pictures with the mk2 without the lens popping out like that? I wouldn't want her to drop it or something and ruin the camera.

the lens housing only sticks out a little bit when it is switched off, and is protected by a little flap like the one you describe on her current camera. It does extend when switched on but that shouldn't be a problem. Pretty much all compact cameras these days will do the same. The smaller/cheaper ones will have a flush body when switched off though.

teiresias

Just looked at the D90, and it looks like an APS-C camera. There's a host of mirrorless cameras that use APS-C, which will behave much the same as your D90 in terms of lens lengths, lighting, etc. Alternatively, there's also m4/3rds cameras, which will have an additional crop factor, but will as such be smaller. You'll receive a huge reduction in size going from a DSLR to a Mirrorless, and another reduction going to m4/3rds. However, having used an a5000, I far prefer the slight extra chunk in the a6000, and it's still conveniently small, so I'd take a trip to a nearby camera store (or Best Buy), and get your hands on some demo units.

Actually, I moved and completely forgot I have an "old" Canon G9 in a box somewhere. I should hunt it down and start using it again. It's pretty crap in low light, but that's not really the kind of thing I want it for. I think I'll go that route to get back into the photo-taking groove rather than spend money right now actually.

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
The worst thing about that photo is dat UV filter on the front.

Also why is the lens wet and not a drop on the camera or ball head? BTW nice ballhead, I've got the same one.

I hope everything is alright.

Flo_Evans

Camera/lens was fine, the time lapse was pretty worthless though. Not sure why it condensed the way it did, it was facing the sunrise. Usually the shadow side will get condensation but it was completely dry when I woke up.

And ugh not the uv filter debate again. I was on a 3 day camping trip full of mud/sand/fire/little kids.

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
Camera/lens was fine, the time lapse was pretty worthless though. Not sure why it condensed the way it did, it was facing the sunrise. Usually the shadow side will get condensation but it was completely dry when I woke up.
oh so it wasn't rain?

And ugh not the uv filter debate again. I was on a 3 day camping trip full of mud/sand/fire/little kids.
I had to... :)

I should post the picture of me using a 40k camera with no UV filter, in the water at a beach in Barbados, that's how much I believe in not using a UV filter.

As mentioned a few posts above, I recently acquired an NEX-6 with a 30mm f2.8 Sigma EX DN. Two questions:

1. Can I get a strap/case recommendation? This thing is naked right now, and I'd like to have something to keep it safe en route to Japan (or should I just wait to find something there?).

2. Again, since I'll be heading to Japan, should I be looking to get another lens? I'm not looking to do anything too advanced with this camera, but I wouldn't mind having at least two lenses depending on my needs (maybe something with zoom?).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom