• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Camera Equipment Megathread

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
As mentioned a few posts above, I recently acquired an NEX-6 with a 30mm f2.8 Sigma EX DN. Two questions:

1. Can I get a strap/case recommendation? This thing is naked right now, and I'd like to have something to keep it safe en route to Japan (or should I just wait to find something there?).

2. Again, since I'll be heading to Japan, should I be looking to get another lens? I'm not looking to do anything too advanced with this camera, but I wouldn't mind having at least two lenses depending on my needs (maybe something with zoom?).

Blackrapid strap? Screws into the tripod mount and then slid around your neck or shoulder. I have one use on my canon 700d but not used with my new m4/3 yet. Had my eye on the peakdesign stuff too, but not sure I want plastic tabs dangling off my mount points..

Btw, if anyone in the UK wants a barely used canon 700d and/or sigma 18-250 OSM, let me know - need to sell it to pay for the OMD E10 I already bought ;)

Radec

Bildschirmfoto-2015-09-11-um-09.40.56-700x308.png

12MP Exmor CMOS sensor
RAW output 14 bit
Internal 4K recording with higher dynamic range
5 axis stabilization
409,600 Max ISO
Much improved AF in low light conditions (169 AF points)
The A7SII will be available in November 2015, at 3400€.

Donos

As mentioned a few posts above, I recently acquired an NEX-6 with a 30mm f2.8 Sigma EX DN. Two questions:

1. Can I get a strap/case recommendation? This thing is naked right now, and I'd like to have something to keep it safe en route to Japan (or should I just wait to find something there?).

2. Again, since I'll be heading to Japan, should I be looking to get another lens? I'm not looking to do anything too advanced with this camera, but I wouldn't mind having at least two lenses depending on my needs (maybe something with zoom?).

Only got the 1650PZ and the Sigma 30mm (which is really good) with my NEX6 too and a 50 1.8. canon with adapter. Looking into buying a used SEL 50F18 because i prefer AF and i read that it's really good. It's rather cheap too. SEL35F18 is too expensive for my little camera use and it's not really a big jump when you have the 30mm Sigma.

If you don't have it i would think about getting the 1650PZ used. It's only around 100€ and you have a good range for traveling and for quality you still have the Sigma.

Edit: sorry for two posts.

Ty4on

Sony is churning out their mirrorless FFs (seemingly sucessful) and Canon and Nikon still got no real competitor. Why? Don't they have massive R&D departments which could put up a product on par but cheaper?

I doubt they could go much cheaper. The A7 is the cheapest FF camera out there and I think it's because only Sony can get that price for a FF sensor.

I think for Nikon getting a FF sensor with phase detection AF is an issue. Two years though isn't a long time to build a completely new camera system and and make native lenses for it. When they make new lenses they tend to start with an old design and make some changes, but they don't have any modern lens designs for mirrorless FF cameras.

They probably have to make something to compete with the A7 series, but I'm not sure what they will do to make it stand out.

Funny example of lens evolution, the old 18-55mm:
Len_construction_nikon_18-55mm.jpg

The old 28-80mm designed for film SLRs in the 90s:
AFG2880f3556_optic.jpg

Hmmmm. In the 18-55 the elements in the rear approach the ones in the front as you zoom towards 55.
Interestingly enough the old 28-80mm is quite decent for its price and the 18-55 works on FF above ~24mm.

Donos

I'm really a noob with advanced camera stuff, but why couldn't they (Nikon/Canon) use the existing FF lenses with a new mirroless body? Or at least make an easy/slim adapter technology? Probably a very stupid question. (Sony also doesn't use their A-mount lenses for FF mirrorless)

I'm really a noob with advanced camera stuff, but why couldn't they (Nikon/Canon) use the existing FF lenses with a new mirroless body? Or at least make an easy/slim adapter technology? Probably a very stupid question. (Sony also doesn't use their A-mount lenses for FF mirrorless)
Because of flange distances. Dslrs have mirrors which take up space, and lenses will focus at an exact distance between the sensor and lens. Most of where a mirrorless gets its small size from is by removing that mirror and pulling the mount itself much closer to the sensor, which changes said flange distance and thus the focusing of the lenses.

Now, you CAN make adapters, as you see dome with FD to NEX adapters and the Sony Alpha to E adapters, but they basically have to "extend" the mount out so that the mount to sensor distance matches that of the older cameras.

Ty4on

Because of flange distances. Dslrs have mirrors which take up space, and lenses will focus at an exact distance between the sensor and lens. Most of where a mirrorless gets its small size from is by removing that mirror and pulling the mount itself much closer to the sensor, which changes said flange distance and thus the focusing of the lenses.

Now, you CAN make adapters, as you see dome with FD to NEX adapters and the Sony Alpha to E adapters, but they basically have to "extend" the mount out so that the mount to sensor distance matches that of the older cameras.

Yeah. The decreased size becomes moot when you need space for the "mirror".

The sensor in a mirrorless is also placed quite far forward. The Φ looking symbol indicates where the sensor plane is and is just left of the top LCD on the Canon. Comparison is between A7 and 5D mk3 (5DS is identical, A7ii probably a bit worse due to IS).

Edit: And with the big lenses the camera is quite hard to hold still and the old lenses are not very optimized for the focus system on mirrorless cameras.

Donos

Well, thanks, guessed it right. So with a proper 1st party adapter it would be doable. Balance would not be that good but you would still have access to tons of lenses.

Only got the 1650PZ and the Sigma 30mm (which is really good) with my NEX6 too and a 50 1.8. canon with adapter. Looking into buying a used SEL 50F18 because i prefer AF and i read that it's really good. It's rather cheap too. SEL35F18 is too expensive for my little camera use and it's not really a big jump when you have the 30mm Sigma.

If you don't have it i would think about getting the 1650PZ used. It's only around 100€ and you have a good range for traveling and for quality you still have the Sigma.

Edit: sorry for two posts.

Thanks to everyone who responded to me with strap recommendations. I foolishly waited a day too long to buy one, so I'll have to grab one in Japan (leaving on Sunday!).

And I'll be on the lookout for that lens, thank you. What does it offer that the Sigma doesn't? I'm pretty new to photography, so the advantage of having it is not evident to me.

RuGalz

12MP Exmor CMOS sensor
RAW output 14 bit
5 axis stabilization
409,600 Max ISO

Real 14bit or compressed? lol
So next year, it will be 12MP BSI CMOS sensor and then bump up max ISO by another stop.
One thing that keeps holding me back from caring about Sony's system is that instead of providing firmware fixes they are happier to release a new model with the fixes in it. Great for them but that means I'll be waiting quite a few more iterations until they practically have nothing left to fix.

I think for Nikon getting a FF sensor with phase detection AF is an issue. Two years though isn't a long time to build a completely new camera system and and make native lenses for it. When they make new lenses they tend to start with an old design and make some changes, but they don't have any modern lens designs for mirrorless FF cameras.

I wonder if Sony is still not licensing out FF sensor with PDAF. I imagine they probably will once their hw "innovation" starts to become stagnant a little and by then they already have a good lead in the market space. One thing that could throw them off is if Samsung catches up with sensor tech, which was really only 1-2 years behind about a year ago. My prediction is that once FF MILC "innovation" slows down like MFT is now they will move into MF market.

Had my eye on the peakdesign stuff too, but not sure I want plastic tabs dangling off my mount points..

Never had an issue with it. It's short and sturdy. So unless it's crazy windy it wouldn't affect the camera on tripod. Worst case, you can tape it.

Thanks to everyone who responded to me with strap recommendations. I foolishly waited a day too long to buy one, so I'll have to grab one in Japan (leaving on Sunday!).

And I'll be on the lookout for that lens, thank you. What does it offer that the Sigma doesn't? I'm pretty new to photography, so the advantage of having it is not evident to me.
Mainly, a little more flexibility. It goes from 16mm to 50mm, so covers a bit of wide, your normal, and a bit of zoom. I'm personally not a fan of it for anything but wide, since the aperture is slow with any other focal length on it, but I keep it around as a 16mm.

Well, thanks, guessed it right. So with a proper 1st party adapter it would be doable. Balance would not be that good but you would still have access to tons of lenses.
I already have access to a ton of lenses using 3rd party adapters.
But then, I'm using vintage MF lenses, soooo...
Getting AF to work on an adapter isn't easy.

Mainly, a little more flexibility. It goes from 16mm to 50mm, so covers a bit of wide, your normal, and a bit of zoom. I'm personally not a fan of it for anything but wide, since the aperture is slow with any other focal length on it, but I keep it around as a 16mm.

And by "wide" you're referring to fitting more in one picture?

And by "wide" you're referring to fitting more in one picture?

Yes. For an APS C camera, 35mm is considered "normal", meaning it looks natural to the eye. Anything lower than that and you start getting into "wide", which has a number of implications, one of which being that more will be in your photo. Ultimately there's a lot to it, but that's a pretty good starting point.

MRORANGE

Bildschirmfoto-2015-09-11-um-09.40.56-700x308.png

12MP Exmor CMOS sensor
RAW output 14 bit
5 axis stabilization
409,600 Max ISO

Amazing.

It's only a matter of time now that we get a FF in a a6000 body, slap on 4k and a 8fps mode with the same ISO as the A7sII and I am sold.

I am probably asking for too much.

I'm not even sure what Nikon/Canon can do to compete, since they are too afraid of eating into their dslr market.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Had a quick handle of the Sony a6000 in PC world this morning. It is so much more comfortable to hold than my Olympus OMD e10. The deeper finger grip makes a ton of difference.

Bebpo

Banned
Man, I hung out with someone with a full frame Canon Mark III with my Nikon D90 and taking shots just on auto settings in the evening sunset -> low-lighting comparing shots of the same spot side by side was just mindblowing at how incredible the Mark III photos looked whereas my pictures needed a decent amount of editing and going for a more grainy gritty look to look good. It seemed like the Mark III you could take a photo of anything and it'd look fantastic.

Really tempted to get a full frame camera...

RuGalz

Man, I hung out with someone with a full frame Canon Mark III with my Nikon D90 and taking shots just on auto settings in the evening sunset -> low-lighting comparing shots of the same spot side by side was just mindblowing at how incredible the Mark III photos looked whereas my pictures needed a decent amount of editing and going for a more grainy gritty look to look good. It seemed like the Mark III you could take a photo of anything and it'd look fantastic.

It would be hard to tell apart if you had a more modern Nikon even with APS-C size sensor. Hell, you may get better results at low ISO.

Bebpo

Banned
It would be hard to tell apart if you had a more modern Nikon even with APS-C size sensor. Hell, you may get better results at low ISO.

So the Nikon cameras have improved a lot over the last 6 years? I mean the picture difference was oustanding taking pictures at night street photography of restaurants lights, fountains, planter areas with lights behind them. Their black level and lack of grain was beautiful even just on auto setting. Mine on auto was washed out and grainy with junk color.

I'd like a camera that even just on the auto settings looks gorgeous like that. I was jealous seeing my friend's pictures :p

RuGalz

So the Nikon cameras have improved a lot over the last 6 years? I mean the picture difference was oustanding taking pictures at night street photography of restaurants lights, fountains, planter areas with lights behind them. Their black level and lack of grain was beautiful even just on auto setting. Mine on auto was washed out and grainy with junk color.

I'd like a camera that even just on the auto settings looks gorgeous like that. I was jealous seeing my friend's pictures :p

I don't know about auto settings since that heavily depends on the software in the camera, different jpeg modes you set to in the camera, etc etc. From capability point of view, a recent Nikon APS-C w/ Sony sensor will beat MK3 if ISO is like 800 and below when it comes to dynamic range. FF will beat APS-C in tonal range and noise by a tiny bit. FF really only shines at higher ISO or if you really need that shallower DOF or wider FOV.

Yeah, dont mistake jpeg creation with actual capabilities. Yeah, an FF is a bit better but that's just a better jpeg engine, which IMO is pretty worthless.

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man

Dude, you're using a camera that came out seven years ago, soon to be 8. In practical terms it would be like if you were driving a Ford Mustang from 1985 and then you hopping in a Ford Mustang from today, everything about it is going to be nicer. Sure both will get you from point A to point B, but one is going to be much more enjoyable.

mrklaw

MrArseFace

But then you'll be standing next to someone with a medium format digital back and comparing shots and you'll want one of those.

Ty4on

But then you'll be standing next to someone with a medium format digital back and comparing shots and you'll want one of those.
And then proper full format.
hliw_canham210.jpg

But full format isn't a bad choice of your to priority is image quality. Old full format cameras are still able to take good pictures apart from dated dynamic range. If you want dynamic range you'll have to look for an affordable D600/D610 which isn't plagued by oil.

captive

nah. The vast majority of them suck for what the guy was describing they were doing. Slow focusing, very poor in low light. I'll take a D800 over medium format in that setting any day.
But fuck medium format is the best at ISO 35.

Flo_Evans

Uh yeah. :p

most of what you where seeing exposure wise is just better AE scene detection though, newer cameras have much better software and can tell you are shooting a night scene and expose correctly. Your D90 is not that advanced - you either have to go manual or dial in some negative exposure compensation for a night scene.

captive

With the modern Sony CMOS they beat everything at high ISOs. Just take a look at the 645Z.

I prefer ISO 16 though (86MP file and I think the scanner was the bottleneck).

that's why I said the vast majority of them. Personally, if i'm going Medium Format Digital (and I did), I want a CCD sensor, I like the way it renders things better than CMOS and I like how it handles blown highlights better than CMOS, and also CCD sensors suck past ISO 400.

That said the bodies are still very expensive when comparing features to DSLRs and I don't believe they are as fast focusing as DSLRs.

Flo_Evans

I should post the picture of me using a 40k camera with no UV filter, in the water at a beach in Barbados, that's how much I believe in not using a UV filter.

Do it!

Not a bad idea actually, lets see some pics of people working/playing on location?

Here I am shooting some food:
IhHnS3k.jpg

edit: some shots

sankt-Antonio

:^)--?-<
Hope that Sony also updates the Alpha7II (they will on the A7rII and A7sII) with 14bit uncompressed RAW, would really like to find out what that fuzz was/is all about.

captive

Do it!

Not a bad idea actually, lets see some pics of people working/playing on location?

Here I am shooting some food:
IhHnS3k.jpg

That's a nice food setup. I need to invest in flashes, my wife and I make great food. We've talked about starting a food blog just for fun with pics of course.

Here's me using a Phase One IQ180 on a Mamiya AFD & Sekor 55mm. and no UV Filter!

Some 100% crops from that digital back, that back is amazing. I want to get another one. It would appear photobucket is adding some compression, looks better on my screen in PhotoShop.

The full image
The Tire Swing by Billy York, on Flickr

And this is what I mean by how CCD sensors handle blown highlights, as close to film is you're gonna get.
Texas Spring 2013 by Billy York, on Flickr

captive

The wave looks worse than it is, from where I was standing it breaks about 4 feet from me. Barbados is one of those beaches where it gets real deep real fast, so the waves only break in about 3 feet of water. When the waves recede i'm not even standing in water.

For some shots I took in Austin I was in 4.5 feet of water with my tripod and my medium format panoramic film camera.

Kraftwerk

So I got my first full frame camera. Found it at a pawn shop. An excellent condition 5dmark II. Came with some nice memory cards, grips and 50mm lens. Couldn't pass it up.

Now, what wide angle lens would you guys recommend me getting? I want to shoot a few videos for my portfolio for film school. Budget is 1000 for a lens. I'm willing to spend a little more if it's worth it.

Ty4on

Now, what wide angle lens would you guys recommend me getting? I want to shoot a few videos for my portfolio for film school. Budget is 1000 for a lens. I'm willing to spend a little more if it's worth it.

The 11-24mm ofc. It's just 2k more than your budget.

Isn't the 16-35mm f4 IS the goto ultrawide for Canon? It's around 1k, very sharp and has IS for video.

captive

What camera? I love those crazy panoramic formats like 6x17.
yea 6x17. I had a Fuji GX 617
Here it is when I sold it.

He's using a Phase One.

Nah I sold that too, but I had the Fuji before I got the Phase One.

Thinking about it, I'm frequently in at least 1 to 2 feet of water. I was in 3+ salt water for this in Belize. I don't have the shots from Austin posted where I was in 4.5 feet of water. This was on the Fuji, ~45 second exposure with Velvia 50.
Belizima by Billy York, on Flickr

Kraftwerk said:
So I got my first full frame camera. Found it at a pawn shop. An excellent condition 5dmark II. Came with some nice memory cards, grips and 50mm lens. Couldn't pass it up.

What focal length wide angle lenses have you liked on other formats? You want ultra wide or "normal" wide?

captive

Damn, that looks a lot cooler than that accordion camera posted earlier. How many cameras do you own?

Currently an Olympus EP2, Olympus EM5, both of which are for sale, and a Nikon D800.

I started out with an Olympus e510 then bought an E30, then bought an E5, sold those and bought the Fuji GX617 and used that for a year and half or so. It really taught me a lot about photography, scanning, film and film management. I love that camera, but scanning film is such a pain in the ass. The files were gigantic, like 180 megapixel, and the dust removal would literally take me weeks for one photo. Then sold the Fuji and my scanner and bought the Phase One, used that for a year or so and sold it when I found out my wife was pregnant.

Ideally I would love a proper 6x17 digital camera, there's one but its a scanning back which isn't the same. Failing that I'll eventually get a Phase One again.

I don't really spend disposable income on anything else other than photography and traveling, both of which are tax write offs if you start a business.

Wow. Nice cameras. You seem to specialize in landscape photography. Man I'd love to find a way to write photography stuff off or make money off of it to actually be able to expand a bit, especially when it comes to lenses.

Just came back from a trip to Italy and found out that I'm too lazy to change lenses.

I think I'll just get the Oly 12-40mm 2.8 Pro lens and be done with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom