• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Camera Equipment Megathread

Status
Not open for further replies.
golem said:
The mm indicator is the focal length (amount of zoom). For example, a 20mm lens is called a prime lens, because its view is always at a fixed distance. A 14-45mm on the other hand can go from 14mm (close) to 45mm (further away) and is a zoom lens.

To make it a bit more complicated these numbers are generally indicated for full frame 35mm sensor cameras.

So on a GF1 I believe it would be 2x crop factor (which means a full frame's sensor is about 2x the size of the GF1's sensor), so your 20mm is actually becomes a 40mm and your 14-45 is actually 28-90mm on the GF1.

TL DR the bigger the number the further the lens can reach.
You can get adaptors to put Nikkor lenes on Canons right?

golem

Yeah there's pretty much adapters for everything.. not every lens feature is always compatible across camera brands however

VNZ

golem said:
Yeah there's pretty much adapters for everything.. not every lens feature is always compatible across camera brands however
Not without major effort and decreased optical performance.

You can only effortlessly build an lens-adapter for a camera with a shorter flange focal distance (FFD, the distance from the lens mount to the sensor plane) than the original camera. The new mirror-less systems have a very short FFD, and consequently there's simple adapters for basically all classic lens mounts available.

For an adapter to work properly on a camera with a longer FFD than the lens was intended for, for example the classic case of using Canon FD glass on an EOS body, it has to incorporate optic elements. That equals higher price and generally much reduced performance.

Pepto

Banned
Agent Ironside said:
Dang, I have a T2i with the Canon 50mm 1.4f lens and I could never even imagine needing more than ISO 400 when using the 1.4f, I mean thats almost in pitch black too. I dont think I would ever need more than 800 in ANY low lighting situation.
Pitch black?? That shot I posted was shot at f/1.4 1/25s ISO 1600. So at ISO 400 you would have to use 1/6s of exposure and the shot would be ruined by the motion blur and the camera shake (or already kinda is).

Camera noob here.

Does a digital SLR make sense for someone who just wants great photos really easily? I would probably shoot in auto most of the time. The one thing I do like is macro shots, so I might enjoy playing around with that.

Thanks.

Pepto

Banned
opticalmace said:
Camera noob here.

Does a digital SLR make sense for someone who just wants great photos really easily? I would probably shoot in auto most of the time. The one thing I do like is macro shots, so I might enjoy playing around with that.

Thanks.
Shooting macro on a DSLR is a pain in the ass. You need special lenses and most of the time you need to use a flash.

ana

Bugger...

Couldn't control myself and got used 1D Mark III.. Shutter count is about 25000..

In exchange I gave my 50D and 10-20mm...

Danielsan

I was looking at the GF1 specs and apparently it lacks a view finder and image stabilization.
Will these ommisions be much of a hassle? I don't exactly have the most steady set of hands. :lol
The view finder can apparently be bought separately (for a whopping €229).

Futureman

Agent Ironside said:
Dang, I have a T2i with the Canon 50mm 1.4f lens and I could never even imagine needing more than ISO 400 when using the 1.4f, I mean thats almost in pitch black too. I dont think I would ever need more than 800 in ANY low lighting situation.

What if you are using a wide angle lens that only stops down to f4 though?

Bam. ISO 1600 would be necessary in many situations.

I have a Sigma 50mm 1.4, and yes, if I wanted to use f1.4 @ ISO 1600, I could practically see in the dark w/ my 5DII. But one should always watch overusing razor thin DOF in movies. I just put together an 8 minute video, and I used my 17-40mm f4 lens for 90% of the shots.

ALSO.

Note for people trying to achieve that "film look." Whenever choosing a shutter speed, try to stay LOCKED at double your frame rate (i.e., if you are shooting 24fps, use a 1/50th sec shutter). I ALWAYS abide by this rule, and if I can't get the shot because it's too dark, then I gotta add lights or I gotta pick a new location and/or time to get the shot.

ana

And new L-lenses..
Great lenses but the cost is another matter..

70-300mm 4-5.6 L
http://www.dpreview.com/news/1008/10082617canon70mm300mm.asp

8-15mm L
http://www.dpreview.com/news/1008/10082616canon8mm15mm.asp

300mm 2.8 L and 400mm 2.8 L
http://www.dpreview.com/news/1008/10082615canon300mm400mm.asp

500mm f4 L and 600mm f4 L
http://www.dpreview.com/news/1008/10082614canon500mm600mm.asp

1.4x III and 2x III
http://www.dpreview.com/news/1008/10082611canonef14xiiief2xiii.asp

Hmm.. when does the 400mm 5.6 and 100-400mm get their updates.. hopefully before the next summer..

Ember128

opticalmace said:
Hm alright, had no idea. :lol
I cheat and use an Extension Tube set. Not as good as a Macro Lens, but for $300, it's better than getting several expensive lenses. Canon T1i, 18-55mm IS Kit lens and that Extension Tube Set worked pretty well.

v0yce

What are the recommendations for an affordable walk around lens?

I generally just use my 50mm 1.8 lens, but I'd like something more flexible that gets pretty wide. Something 15mm -50mm ish.

XMonkey

lacks enthusiasm.

Zyzyxxz

XMonkey said:
7D still has much better AF (19 pts vs 9), better viewfinder, dual Digic IV, and better FPS. I'm a bit disappointed Canon didn't at least put the 7D's AF system in the 60D, considering Nikon has been owning them in this department for awhile.

Overall the 60D is a bit of a disappointment compared to what we already have with the 7D and it doesn't seem too much of an upgrade over a 550D/T2i

ChryZ

Danielsan said:
I was looking at the GF1 specs and apparently it lacks a view finder and image stabilization.
Will these ommisions be much of a hassle? I don't exactly have the most steady set of hands. :lol
The view finder can apparently be bought separately (for a whopping €229).
Panasonic moved the image stabilization into the lenses. The lenses below 45mm usually don't have IS. Especially with fast glass or in broad daylight it's pretty easy to get the shutter speed up and the lack of IS very manageable. 229eur is pretty much the highest price I've ever seen for the view finder. You can easily get one for 155eur via mail order. The view finder is also pretty optional, IMHO.

captive said:
voigtlander to make lenses for m4/3rds
http://www.43rumors.com/the-new-voigtlander-25mm-f0-95-for-microfourthirds-has-been-announced/

Im sure some here will love this.
This is going to be interesting. The m43 market is lusting for fast primes. Smart move. I had an eye on their 50mm/F1.1 and 35mm/F1.2 m-mount lenses. They're surprisingly sharp wide open, but usually only in the center and they're all insanely sharp stopped down. F0.95 will have such a shallow depth of field, manually focusing up close will be very challenging. Can't wait to read impressions and reviews.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
XMonkey said:
7D still has much better AF (19 pts vs 9), better viewfinder, dual Digic IV, and better FPS. I'm a bit disappointed Canon didn't at least put the 7D's AF system in the 60D, considering Nikon has been owning them in this department for awhile.

oh what? I get all excited about a 60D and they keep the same crappy AF module? FFS, Nikon are owning their asses on trickling higher end features down to lower end cameras without being shit scared of professionals wandering around with D5000s. Canon needs to sort things out.

I was hoping for a slightly cut down 7D. Less weatherproofing, maybe lower fps, possibly even smaller mp sensor to differentiate. and a smaller body. But I was definitely expecting the 7D AF and metering.

Is there anything that stands out on the 60D? Articulating rear screen is damn nice - I used to use that a lot on my old Sony 505v for low or high angle shots.

XMonkey

lacks enthusiasm.
It does have the 7D's metering system at least. Other than that... not a whole lot stands out. Manual audio control is "nice" in that it's something that every Canon DSLR with video should have anyways.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
oh, ok thats good - 7D is supposed to have excellent metering. Almost can't get over still having those 9 points. Mainly for tracking things I'd have liked to have some assist points at least around the centre point - they are too far apart now to be useful for that.

and the articulated screen is great but limited by Canon's live view implementation.

Size and weight reduction are attractive to me, will have to see what prices are like on the street - those MSRPs are too close to what I can get 7D bundles for

VNZ

8-24-10-canon60d03.jpg

Having the screen hinge on the short edge of the screen is, to me, nearly useless. The point of an articulating screen is primarily to be able to use it for waist-level shooting (medium format style) and sometimes the odd "high above the head" shot. Both works better with the hinge on the long edge, like Sony and Nikon does it. Especially good waist-level viewing is incredibly useful.

I'm thinking about blowing as much as $700 by year's end on a lens for my trusty Canon Xti. Is the Canon EF 70-200mm f/4L USM recommended by photo-GAF? Any alternatives you'd suggest?

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
_dementia said:
I'm thinking about blowing as much as $700 by year's end on a lens for my trusty Canon Xti. Is the Canon EF 70-200mm f/4L USM recommended by photo-GAF? Any alternatives you'd suggest?

I would get it, its one of the best Zoom lens in that range (only topped by the IS version or the new Mark II f/2.8).

Zyzyxxz

_dementia said:

if you dont mind using higher ISO or primarily shoot in daylight.

Chairhome

XMonkey said:
Yeah, I posted before reading the specs... I'm still interested because of the price. It also has wireless flash control.

Stalfos

I'm liking the look of the 60D. I've been with a Rebel XT for several years now and this seems like it would be a great upgrade. Seems better than the T2i and it will be about $500 less than the 7D and I like the idea of having an articulating display. The only things that bother me a little so far is that I wish it still had the metal body of the previous xxD cameras and I would have liked for them to keep Compact Flash since I have a couple cards for my XT, though its not a deal breaker. I'll definitely be looking forward to the reviews to see how the images turn out.

_dementia said:

Canon just announced a 70-300mm f/4-5.6L IS that may end up in that price range. If you want to use the lens for a lot of still subjects, the IS and increased length might make up for the reduction in speed.

chaostrophy said:
Canon just announced a 70-300mm f/4-5.6L IS that may end up in that price range. If you want to use the lens for a lot of still subjects, the IS and increased length might make up for the reduction in speed.

Yeah i'm considering dumping my 70-200mm f/4L for it if the price is right.

zhenming

seems like canon is really saturating their line Nikon has D3100 = newbies, D90 = amateurs looking to learn more, D300s = semi-pro, D700 = pro, and D3 = super pros. with canon I'm not sure why there's a 60D when there's a 7D is that the D300s in the Canon world? I've always though the 7D would compete with the Nikon D90

or am i wrong? sorry Nikon user here.

the new canon fisheye should be fun! hope Nikon comes out with that 200mm f/2 that should be exciting too.

BlueTsunami

zhenming said:
seems like canon is really saturating their line Nikon has D3100 = newbies, D90 = amateurs looking to learn more, D300s = semi-pro, D700 = pro, and D3 = super pros. with canon I'm not sure why there's a 60D when there's a 7D is that the D300s in the Canon world? I've always though the 7D would compete with the Nikon D90

Seems like they've situated the 7D as a Semi-Pro 1D and the 5D MKII as the Semi-Pro 1Ds. There is a bit of niggling room for a lower 7D but it definitely seems awkward, especially with Rebels costing around $800-$900.

Fireye

zhenming said:

the new canon fisheye should be fun! hope Nikon comes out with that 200mm f/2 that should be exciting too.

d3000 == digital rebel xs (1000d) - I don't think the 3100 is really "the next 3000", since it has so many more features, it's halfway between the d3000 and the d5000.
d5000 == T2i (though, slightly lower in my mind)
d90 == 50d
d300s == 7d
d700 == 5d
d3(x/s) == 1d(s)

That's how it works out in my mind, though I know more about the canon side of things, than the Nikon.

Again the 3100 sort of elevates the older 3000, I can't wait to see what the 2000d specs look like!

zhenming

Fireye said:
d3000 == digital rebel xs (1000d) - I don't think the 3100 is really "the next 3000", since it has so many more features, it's halfway between the d3000 and the d5000.
d5000 == T2i (though, slightly lower in my mind)
d90 == 50d
d300s == 7d
d700 == 5d
d3(x/s) == 1d(s)

That's how it works out in my mind, though I know more about the canon side of things, than the Nikon.

Again the 3100 sort of elevates the older 3000, I can't wait to see what the 2000d specs look like!
that makes sense

Does canon still make the XS?? I've always grouped the D3000 and D5000 together with Nikons they were just too similar to me at least.

BlueTsunami

Canon announced a bunch of new lenses...

Canon EF 8-15mm f/4L Fisheye USM lens
With its unique focal length range, the EF 8-15mm f/4L USM is the world's widest fisheye zoom lens. It delivers 180§ diagonal angle of view images for all EOS SLR cameras with imaging formats ranging from full-frame to APS-C, and provides 180˚ circular fisheye images for full-frame EOS models. Professional photographers and cinematographers will revel in the unique perspectives afforded to them through this lens, particularly when coupled with the highly popular full-frame EOS 5D Mark II DSLR camera. Canon's new Fisheye zoom lens features both UD and aspherical lens elements to enhance image quality and is equipped with rubber gaskets and seals to enhance weather resistance. Canon's proprietary SWC (Sub Wavelength Structure Coating) is used to minimize flare and a new fluorine anti-smear coating is applied to the front and rear elements to make lens cleaning easier than ever.

The Canon EF 8-15mm f/4L Fisheye USM lens is expected to be available in January of 2011 for an approximate retail price of $1,400.

Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6L IS USM lens
Compact and lightweight, yet durable and professionally sharp, the EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6L IS USM lens is the ideal telephoto zoom lens for advanced amateurs looking for that extra reach to bring a subject in tight and close. Providing the power and durability to maximize every shooting opportunity, the Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6L IS USM lens features two UD ultra-low dispersion glass elements for enhanced sharpness, L-series weather and dust sealing for shooting in harsh conditions, improved mechanical design, and streamlined ergonomics to help avoid inadvertent mode switch operation. The shapes of the lens elements and their coatings have been optimized to minimize ghosting and flare to produce high-contrast and high-resolution throughout the zoom range. A sophisticated floating system optical formula optimizes image quality at all distance settings and reduces minimum focusing distance by more than a foot. An updated optical image stabilization system compensates for camera shake up to an equivalent of four full shutter-speed steps, a full step improvement compared to earlier EF 70-300mm lenses. A new fluorine anti-smear coating is applied to the front and rear elements.

The Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6L IS USM lens is expected to be available toward the end of October for an approximate retail price of $1,500.

Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II USM lens
The Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II USM is the 6th generation of a venerable family of Canon 300mm f/2.8 lenses that began in 1974, and have become famous for their exceptional sharpness, contrast and color fidelity. Ideal for a wide range of applications ranging from professional photojournalism and sports photography to nature and wildlife, Canon's 300mm f/2.8 lenses have always led the industry with new technical advances in every generation. The EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II USM lens carries on this tradition with improved image quality, lighter weight, improved Image Stabilization and enhanced durability making it a great option for handheld work in the field. The optical formula of the new lens has been upgraded with the inclusion of two fluorite lens elements for improved image quality and reduced chromatic aberration. Helping to reduce arm fatigue, Canon has reduced the overall weight of the lens by 8 percent to 82.9 oz., making it the lightest weight lens in the Canon EF 300mm f/2.8 series. The Image Stabilizer provides an equivalent of approximately four full shutter speed steps of shake compensation and has been enhanced through the incorporation of a rolling-ball-friction system in place of sliding parts in the compensation optics barrel for a minimum-friction structure. The overall durability of the lens has also been enhanced through increased usage of magnesium alloy and titanium for lens barrel components, together with weather sealing for all exterior joints and switches and a new fluorine anti-smear coating applied to the front and rear elements.

The Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS USM lens is expected to be available in December for an approximate retail price of $7,000.

Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II USM lens
Quintessential for many sports assignments including baseball, football, soccer and golf, Canon's professional 400mm f/2.8 lenses provide the light gathering capability and long telephoto reach that photographers need to freeze the action and fill the frame . The Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II USM is the 5th generation in Canon's 400mm f/2.8 series and the successor to the current EF 400mm introduced in 1999. The new lens has been engineered for the ultimate in optical performance through the use of two fluorite lens elements for improved quality and reduced chromatic aberration. Helping photographers in the field, Canon has reduced the overall weight of the lens by a substantial 28 percent from 189.4 oz to 135.8 oz, making it Canon's lightest weight 400mm f/2.8 lens ever. The Image Stabilizer provides an equivalent of approximately four full shutter speed steps of shake compensation and has been enhanced through the incorporation of a rolling-ball-friction system in place of sliding parts in the compensation optics barrel for a minimum-friction structure. The overall durability of the lens has also been enhanced through increased usage of magnesium alloy and titanium for lens barrel components, together with weather sealing for all exterior joints and switches and a new fluorine anti-smear coating is applied to the front and rear elements.

The Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS USM lens is expected to be available in December for an approximate retail price of $11,000.

Canon Extender EF 1.4x III & Canon Extender EF 2x III
The two new EF extenders are direct replacements of the current extenders offered by Canon as essential accessories for professionals. These new extenders have been designed to provide faster autofocusing and improved autofocus precision with compatible EF lenses. Each extender includes an anomalous dispersion lens element for reduced chromatic aberration and enhanced optical image quality. Each extender also features a newly developed microcomputer that increases AF precision when the extenders are used with a IS Series II EF super-telephoto lens. Both extenders are equipped with rubber gaskets and seals to enhance weather resistance. A new fluorine anti-smear coating is applied to the front and rear elements of both extenders.

The Canon Extender EF 1.4x III & Canon Extender EF 2x III are expected to be available in December for an approximate retail price of $500 each.

Wow, Fisheye Zoom lens!

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
i just got a Lowepro Pro Trekker AW 400 to fit my 300mm + ec20 + e30. This thing is crazy. The build quality and features are top notch. I really like my tamrac aero speedpack but tamrac has some catching up to do on their bigger bags.

I put the 300mm + ec20 + e30 in the bag which is about 8 or 9 pounds plus the bags weight, then put it on and it was like i was wearing nothing at all.
stupid_sexy_flanders.jpg

Not that many of you have a need for such a big backpack, but i would recommend this thing 110%

Futureman

Stalfos said:
Yeah the fisheye zoom sounds awesome.

Sounds awesome? It LOOKS awesome:

fe_ef8-15lu_586x186.gif

There's something different about this lens from Canon's other black L lenses that looks really nice.

I'm pretty disappointed that there were no new primes announced.

BlueTsunami

It has the look of the TS-E lenses. Can't wait to see some shots with it, I've never been a wide shooter but have found that its fun to try to frame things when using a very wide Focal Length.

XMonkey

lacks enthusiasm.
Fisheye zoom on a full-frame = :D

Being able to go from full 180 deg view to taking up the entire full-frame sensor is pretty awesome. Maybe I'll rent that lens one day.

ChryZ

mrnorush said:
This is pretty much just a built in adapter :S... no AF, manual aperture control and m-mount pricing. might as well just get their lens for m-mount with adapter. (I don't think there is a 25mm 0.95 though?)
There isn't.

tomjr

BlueTsunami said:
It has the look of the TS-E lenses. Can't wait to see some shots with it, I've never been a wide shooter but have found that its fun to try to frame things when using a very wide Focal Length.

Check out the canon site, they've got a couple of small samples. I'm pretty excited about this lens.

GAF! I'm an idiot looking to buy a digital camera.

I'm an art student and would like to be able to take portfolio-quality photos of my work. What is the best camera for me? AND AT WHAT COST????

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom