• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Camera Equipment Megathread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thraktor said:
Large-format digital camera, anyone?

Canon develops world's largest CMOS sensor

canon_sensor.jpg

That tiny little thing next to it is a full-frame 35mm sensor. The new sensor is 202x205mm (8 inches square), which is almost quadruple the size of standard (4"x5") large-format film, and 19 times the size of the largest commercially available medium format sensor (Phase One's P65+ digital back). They also say that it can take photos in one-hundreth the light required for DSLRs, which, going by the 1DMkIV's maximum 102,400 ISO, would place its sensitivity somewhere in the 10,000,000 ISO region.

Of course, with the comparatively minuscule P65+ going for $40,000, I can't imagine what Canon would have to charge were they ever to actually make a camera with this monstrosity in it...

Big ass captor and incredible iso region ? I guess Canon better call the NASA because they might have create the next Huble captor ?

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
CameraGAF, the time has come. I have they money to buy a camera! There is no specific type of photography that I take more than the others, but color and the ability to take great lowlight photos is important. I also have played with Canons more than Nikons, but I learned on a Nikon d40, so...

Nikon d90
Canon 7d
Canon Rebel xsi

Which, of these three, would you suggest? I've compared them side by side online, and I still can't make up my mind.

cbox

WanderingWind said:
CameraGAF, the time has come. I have they money to buy a camera! There is no specific type of photography that I take more than the others, but color and the ability to take great lowlight photos is important. I also have played with Canons more than Nikons, but I learned on a Nikon d40, so...

Nikon d90
Canon 7d
Canon Rebel xsi

Which, of these three, would you suggest? I've compared them side by side online, and I still can't make up my mind.

I'm personally not a fan of nikons and went with the 7d. Couldn't be happier! Upgraded from an xti and many canon p/s before that.

Futureman

WanderingWind said:

Nikon d90
Canon 7d
Canon Rebel xsi

Only thing I'd say is the D90 is pretty old at this point. Pretty sure the 7D would be all around better, plus the video is definitely better on the 7D.

Don't really know the prices without looking them up, but I assume the D90 is like $500 cheaper though than a 7D.

tenton

Rumor has it that the D90 replacement (D7000?) is getting announced next week.

And you need to go somewhere and handle the cameras you are thinking about in person. Hold them, fiddle with them.

WanderingWind

tenton said:
Rumor has it that the D90 replacement (D7000?) is getting announced next week.

And you need to go somewhere and handle the cameras you are thinking about in person. Hold them, fiddle with them.

There is no place like that anywhere nearby. Ritz and Wolfe camera stores only sell Nikons, Best Buy sells only the older Rebel and Nikon models and that's all that's around.

I guess this 550D is a pretty good camera?

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
WanderingWind said:
There is no place like that anywhere nearby. Ritz and Wolfe camera stores only sell Nikons, Best Buy sells only the older Rebel and Nikon models and that's all that's around.

i hardly consider Ritz a camera store.

If you don't want to wait and want the best of what you listed get the 7D.

I would recommend waiting at this point, announcements of new cameras should start next week. Then cameras like the D90 should start to drop in price since everyone seems to think the D90 is getting its replacement this year.

sneaky77

WanderingWind said:

Google a local camera store, I am sure there will be at least 1. Best buy has a few models to get an idea as well.

Zyzyxxz

WanderingWind said:

Nikon d90
Canon 7d
Canon Rebel xsi

I like my D90, it feels better to use than a 7D to me. The only reason I wanted a 7D was to shoot cool videos.

In terms of manual controls the D90 beats the Canon IMHO. ISO performance is about the same, the 7D is a little more usable 1600-3200

zhenming

Here's my opinion... Canon for video and sharper photos. Nikon for better high iso. Canon 7D and up seem like they can take a better beating in terms of durability while for the Nikons it's D300s and up. D90 can be beating pretty good too, I have one as my backup.

WanderingWind

I ended up with the Canon 550D. It has everything I was looking for in the 7d, but for a fraction of the cost. So far, I'm pretty happy with it, even with the numerous built-in dumbass modes.

golem

WanderingWind said:
I ended up with the Canon 550D. It has everything I was looking for in the 7d, but for a fraction of the cost. So far, I'm pretty happy with it, even with the numerous built-in dumbass modes.
Very cool! Seems like a great camera.

Alfarif

This picture? uhh I can explain really!
Stalfos said:
I could definitely see it having its uses if done right. It could provide for some interesting looking scenes.

I could see it giving the "Inception" color processing effect without needing to go in and go nuts or use a bunch of secondary programs to achieve it. I'm very impressed and might get another Canon T2i to see what I can do with this.

Speaking of which, anyone dealt with hot pixels on Canon cameras and have some advice for trying to get rid of them without sending the thing back. I did something that someone suggested, which I don't feel very comfortable doing again: leaving the sensor exposed for a full minute but not touching it in any way. The pixel that I was focused on seems to have "repaired" itself... it flickers at high ISOs (800+) while shooting video instead of being a solid spot. I'm looking for a more permanent solution, though.

Maximilian E.

AKA MS-Evangelist
Is dual SD going to become the trend in lieu of CF cards on the more "prosumer" SLRs? I'm guessing this is to reduce the bandwidth bottleneck of SD cards when writing from the buffer?

NYR

all right peeps, help out a newbie expand his collection:

Camera:
T2i

Lenses:
18-55 mm IS Stock
Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II

What should my next purchase be? Just looking for something versatile that will give me awesome results. A zoom lens would be preferred. Just want a quality lens.

Keep it under $500...

Zyzyxxz

Man the Canon 60D seems to pail in comparison to the new D7000.

I wonder what is gonna happen to the D5000 though since it is being outdone by the D3100 and the D90 will be phased out after next year.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
D7000 looks absolutely fantastic. It seems like the 7D tripped Canon up, the 60D was always gonna be a lower end 7D but it still makes things awkward. Seems like Nikon is gonna bite into that price point/class of camera.

Rolio

NYR said:

Camera:
T2i

Lenses:
18-55 mm IS Stock
Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II

What should my next purchase be? Just looking for something versatile that will give me awesome results. A zoom lens would be preferred. Just want a quality lens.

Keep it under $500...

flashgun

VNZ

NYR said:

Camera:
T2i

Lenses:
18-55 mm IS Stock
Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II

Keep it under $500...
I would get a normal prime, which for a crop sensor Canon basically gives you choice of Sigma 30mm f/1.4 or Canon EF 28mm f/1.8. The latter will also work on a full frame sensor camera if you at some point in the future take that step (which is why I now kind of regret that I bought the Sigma... but I do love it and it's the lens I've taken easily 80% of my shots with).

NYR said:

Camera:
T2i

Lenses:
18-55 mm IS Stock
Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II

Keep it under $500...

I changed my 18-55 for a 17-85 USM.

One mm wider and 30mm more tele range. The huge selling point to me was the full time manual ring and the USM AF: it's so fast and yet silent. And I'm not speaking about the gap in image quality. If you feel like you can really use the 30mm extensive range, go for it. If you trade your current stock, you can even save a bit on the price.

If you don't feel the need for the extensive range, look into super wide lens. The new Sigma 8-16mm is really good, but a bit off budget. The 8mm Samyang fisheye is fully manual and really cheap (around 250$) and I love it. It's not to use everyday, but it's great for experimentation, for giving a new look into ubran landscape. Also, it's super wide, so it's having a huge deformation factor: it's always very rewarding to play arround with curved scene.

After that, the 100mm 2.8 Macro is also a great choice. Great for portrait, great for low light, and a perfect range for macro. But pricey. No need to say that this lens is top notch quality wise.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Zyzyxxz said:
Man the Canon 60D seems to pail in comparison to the new D7000.

I wonder what is gonna happen to the D5000 though since it is being outdone by the D3100 and the D90 will be phased out after next year.

BlueTsunami said:
D7000 looks absolutely fantastic. It seems like the 7D tripped Canon up, the 60D was always gonna be a lower end 7D but it still makes things awkward. Seems like Nikon is gonna bite into that price point/class of camera.

Agree and disagree. This looks a great camera, but I don't think the 60D pails. Main difference is the AF module, and Nikon have been trickling the higher performance AF modules down their model line for a while now. That the 60D still has the old 9-point AF is a disappointment. Perhaps they were concerned about cannibalising the 7D line, but Nikon doesn't seem to have a problem with it.

60D still has the 7D metering, decent weatherproofing (if not 'proper'), flash commander, full HD video etc.

Plus Nikon and Canon (whether by luck or judgement) don't tend to go head to head on models, they interleave. That confuses direct comparisons but people still will.

Coming from using Canons though, that just looks confusing as hell to use. Buttons and dials everywhere.

VNZ

hEist said:
anyone got the sigma 30mm 1.4?
experience?
I love it. I've taken the vast majority of my pictures with it since I entered the DSLR realm. No real complaints except that now when I'm planning to buy a 5DmkII (or III!) it's gonna have to stay behind on my 500D as a backup. (Although, I've heard it's physically possible to connect it and get some sexy massive vignetting on a 5D, which sounds quite interesting.) It has moderate barrell distortion, but for any shots where that is bothersome the new Lightroom 3 built in lens profiles will fix that.

Some photos I've taken with it:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/optiroc/4471187956/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/optiroc/4554147633/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/optiroc/4065266188/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/optiroc/4035816730/

played with the sony a33/a55 at bic camera today - man, i want one. they're so fast, the viewfinder is better than you'd think and the size is perfect.

the coolest thing for me is that the combination of tilting screen, fast autofocus and sony's live view mode means that you really can shoot it any way. i actually like composing on the LCD screen, so it's nice to have the option for when i don't need the viewfinder.

golem

mrklaw said:
Agree and disagree. This looks a great camera, but I don't think the 60D pails. Main difference is the AF module, and Nikon have been trickling the higher performance AF modules down their model line for a while now. That the 60D still has the old 9-point AF is a disappointment. Perhaps they were concerned about cannibalising the 7D line, but Nikon doesn't seem to have a problem with it.
The Nikon may have a high AF point count, but still only 9 are cross type. All 9 of the 60D's are cross type. Nikon is definitely leading in putting nice AF systems in their bodies however.

zhenming

The Nikon D7000 is good. That 3200 ISO photo is comparable to my D700's 5000 ISO. Cant wait to see how the upgraded D700 is like! :D

sarcastor

NYR said:

Camera:
T2i

Lenses:
18-55 mm IS Stock
Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II

What should my next purchase be? Just looking for something versatile that will give me awesome results. A zoom lens would be preferred. Just want a quality lens. Keep it under $500...

get the tamron 17-50mm f/2.8. you can find it used on craigslist for around $375. I've taken plenty of amazing shots with it. You can see a bunch of user pics and reviews here

just bought this baby used yesterday. anxiously awaiting for it in the mail :)

4770454608_243fcde581_z.jpg

Canon 70-200mm f/2.8

mrklaw said:

60D still has the 7D metering, decent weatherproofing (if not 'proper'), flash commander, full HD video etc.

Plus Nikon and Canon (whether by luck or judgement) don't tend to go head to head on models, they interleave. That confuses direct comparisons but people still will.

Coming from using Canons though, that just looks confusing as hell to use. Buttons and dials everywhere.

Agree with you

Fireye

sarcastor said:
get the tamron 17-50mm f/2.8. you can find it used on craigslist for around $375. I've taken plenty of amazing shots with it. You can see a bunch of user pics and reviews here

just bought this baby used yesterday. anxiously awaiting for it in the mail :)

4770454608_243fcde581_z.jpg

Canon 70-200mm f/2.8

If you're going to spend a good chunk of change on a lens, why not get an FX compatible one? I've heard amazing things about the Tamron 28-75 F2.8, in fact it's what I plan to pick up next, lens-wise.

You lose out on the wide angle, but it offers a bit more length than the kit lens, and a good increase in fstop, along with some pretty good quality.

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
Fireye said:
If you're going to spend a good chunk of change on a lens, why not get an FX compatible one? I've heard amazing things about the Tamron 28-75 F2.8, in fact it's what I plan to pick up next, lens-wise.
i never understood the why not buy a full frame compatible lenses.
Full frame overkill for a good majority of people.

Fireye

captive said:
i never understood the why not buy a full frame compatible lenses.
Full frame overkill for a good majority of people.

It may be "overkill", but Full Frame lenses excel in at least one area on aps-c; you don't have NEARLY as much vignetting because the image circle is larger than your sensor.

Here are two reviews, one for each lens, on the same body, from the same site:
Tamron 17-50mm on Nikon D200
* Lots of distortion on the 17mm end
* High vignetting if you shoot at f2.8
* MTF is pretty excellent
* CAs are higher than I'd like to see

Tamron 28-75mm on Nikon D200
* Moderate distortion on the 28mm end, but not very extreme.
* Very minimal Vignetting at all fstops, should not be noticable in daily shooting.
* MTF is good, not as good as the 17-50mm at f2.8 (when at 28mm), but very similar overall. Might not be the best choice for shooting f2.8 close up to subjects, but beyond 28mm f2.8 is a hair under the 17-50mm
* CAs are well controlled, under 1pixel in all circumstances.

Next paycheck (maybe sooner if I can get a good deal), and I'm getting the 28-75mm for myself! It isn't the best choice for everyone, but if you're shooting subjects that at more than a meter or two away, it's a winner.

Zyzyxxz

I've been planning on getting the Tamron 28-75 for a while because it is very affordable.

It's no Nikkor but its alot cheaper.

zhenming

Zyzyxxz said:
I've been planning on getting the Tamron 28-75 for a while because it is very affordable.

It's no Nikkor but its alot cheaper.
You wont like the range on that if you shoot wide a lot I used to have it. It's sharp and contrasty but not good for family gatherings. try shooting your normal shots with your 35mm for like 2 weeks see if youre limited. that would help you decide if the 28-75 is good for you. Its more of a full frame range. not bad for a third party lens though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom