• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Camera Equipment Megathread

Status
Not open for further replies.

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
osknoes said:
Hi guys!

I love photography but I've never been into it, as a photographer. I decided to move forward and learn some basic skills.

I would like to know if you guys have any advice for webs\tutorials\books where I can learn the basics. If anyone has a camera recommendation for a starter, that will be really appreciated too.

Many thanks.
http://www.cambridgeincolour.com/tutorials.htm
check out the basics there.

As for camera's all the manufacturers make good cameras you really cant go wrong with any of them. I believe the next question you'll get is what's your budget? And what would you like to do with the camera, that will make it easier for people to give you better recommendations.

Zyzyxxz

captive said:
fuck yea

My new baby. 300mm f2.8 + EC20 = 600 f5.6 = 1200 effective focal length or equivalent field of view however the equivalence nazis want to classify it.
Taking it out tomorrow if it doesn't rain.

holy fuck.

luoapp

osknoes said:
Hi guys!

I love photography but I've never been into it, as a photographer. I decided to move forward and learn some basic skills.

I would like to know if you guys have any advice for webs\tutorials\books where I can learn the basics. If anyone has a camera recommendation for a starter, that will be really appreciated too.

Many thanks.

The manual actually explains a lot of basic concepts like exposure, shutter speed, so, rtfm first:lol

and captive, holy shit. What are you gonna shoot mainly? birds?

misterchef

Neo Member
Chairhome said:
Anyone know of any good EF Wide Angle lenses that are sub $200?

Sub $200 is a pretty low price point for any new wide angle lens...the only thing that I know is a 28mm f2.8, which can be found for about $240ish online.

But if you can save up, for ~$700, the 17-40mm f4 is a very good lense, that also gives some flexibility.

golem

xxracerxx said:
Thank you golem and bggrthnjsus.

Now the question is would you recommend the camera to someone who just wants to carry it around when out for hikes/walks/rides/etc and just likes to capture the moments.

Thanks again.
Just get a nice strap and you're off! I have a Gordy's on mine.

3887073547_7c0d824204_z.jpg

Chairhome

misterchef said:
Sub $200 is a pretty low price point for any new wide angle lens...the only thing that I know is a 28mm f2.8, which can be found for about $240ish online.

But if you can save up, for ~$700, the 17-40mm f4 is a very good lense, that also gives some flexibility.
Thanks! I am very cheap, and only do photography as a hobby, so $700 sounds like a lot to me. I appreciate the response, i'll look into the $240ish one!

Chairhome said:
Anyone know of any good EF Wide Angle lenses that are sub $200?

These EF 18-55mm IS (kit from most Canon DSLR) are good standart. You get one for less than $100 but I'm not sure if it's what you are after ... ?

Danielsan

zhenming said:
The new nikon stuff seems tempting even though I dont need it... some of the prices are lower than I expected :D
I kinda hate that I now have to wait another month with my DSLR purchase. :lol

Chairhome

UnluckyKate said:
These EF 18-55mm IS (kit from most Canon DSLR) are good standart. You get one for less than $100 but I'm not sure if it's what you are after ... ?
Thanks, I forgot about that lens. Seems more flexible than the 28mm 2.8, but the f-stop is worse. Out of these two, which one would you recommend if I can get them for about the same price? Primarily using to shoot my children in my garage studio (tight space which is why I need a wider lens. Seems like lots of people are abandoning the 18-55.

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
Alucrid said:
What does that do? Incinerate the subject after the picture is taken?
:lol no but it would definitely make a good blunt object. Weighs in at 7 pounds.

luoapp said:
and captive, holy shit. What are you gonna shoot mainly? birds?

birds and other wildlife.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
Chairhome said:
Thanks, I forgot about that lens. Seems more flexible than the 28mm 2.8, but the f-stop is worse. Out of these two, which one would you recommend if I can get them for about the same price? Primarily using to shoot my children in my garage studio (tight space which is why I need a wider lens. Seems like lots of people are abandoning the 18-55.

The extra stop or so of light will be good for low light situations but the Zoom Lens will obviously be more flexible and the IS is great for low light posed shots. If you plan on shooting in a large range of light (from demanding to not) the 28/2.8 will probably be best.

If you could save a bit more there's the Sigma 30/1.4 and the Canon 28/1.8. They go for about $450-$500.

Edit: Missed the part about shooting kids in a studio environment. Basically what Lucky Forward said. Wide angle lenses are great for action shots where environmental context is being included. Also if you're shooting in a studio environment where off camera lighting is being used, you could disregard the F-Stop advantage since you won't be needing to shoot wide open if there's lighting involved.

Chairhome said:
Generally speaking, wide-angle lenses really aren't recommended as portrait lenses because the distortion they introduce isn't very flattering. The ideal focal length for portraits is usually considered to be in the 85-100mm range.

Lucky Forward said:
Generally speaking, wide-angle lenses really aren't recommended as portrait lenses because the distortion they introduce isn't very flattering. The ideal focal length for portraits is usually considered to be in the 85-100mm range.

Yeah, that's why, for taking picture of kids, I would go for the 18-55mm (55mm is already good for portrait) instead of the 28m f2,8. The extra light is surely a plus, but for taking picture of kids, a zoom is better. And a fixed, 28mm focal is not the thing I would choose for taking pictures of kids.

If you want a very good portrait lens: look at the Canon 50mm f1,8. It's the smalest, cheapest Canon lens ($100 brand new) and it's really great for portrait, even in low light situation. Built quality is terrible (bad plastic and stuff) but the optic is top notch. Picture I took with it, wide open:

2zeyn92.jpg

Chairhome

Lucky Forward said:
Thanks everyone. I do use 2 or 3 strobes in my garage, so I guess I wouldn't miss the extra stops. The biggest concern is that there isn't too much room in my garage, so I'm pressing against the edges of the garage when trying to get two or more kids in a shot. I'll probably go for the 18-55 then, IS is definitely a plus. I was just wary since a lot of people seem to be offloading it online, but I guess they're just moving up to bigger lenses.

unluckykate, thanks! I actually have that lens and I love it, I just need something a little wider. I also have a 28-135mm 3.5-5.6... and just realized that getting the 28mm 2.8 would give me the same width as that. So this question is kind of moot. :-/ Thanks anyways for all the help!

zhenming

Canon's new S95 looks good. has HD video this time around. Can't wait to see the midlevel dslr offerings soon from Nikon and Canon :D

Zyzyxxz

Nice new S95 means the S90 will drop in price.

Inclusion of 720p video is a bust for me especially since it uses the same sensor.

Chairhome said:
Thanks everyone. I do use 2 or 3 strobes in my garage, so I guess I wouldn't miss the extra stops. The biggest concern is that there isn't too much room in my garage, so I'm pressing against the edges of the garage when trying to get two or more kids in a shot. I'll probably go for the 18-55 then, IS is definitely a plus. I was just wary since a lot of people seem to be offloading it online, but I guess they're just moving up to bigger lenses.

unluckykate, thanks! I actually have that lens and I love it, I just need something a little wider. I also have a 28-135mm 3.5-5.6... and just realized that getting the 28mm 2.8 would give me the same width as that. So this question is kind of moot. :-/ Thanks anyways for all the help!

If you like prime lenses, you might want to check out the Sigma 30mm f/1.4. You can find it for around $400ish or so and is supposed to have superb image quality.

zhenming

Zyzyxxz said:
Nice new S95 means the S90 will drop in price.

Inclusion of 720p video is a bust for me especially since it uses the same sensor.
until the s100 or what ever comes out this s95 isnt a really "upgrade" but the fact that they got it to do 720p is pretty good.

I'm considering purchasing a used Canon 1Ds Mark II. I think the average price is $1,600. I just want a full frame sensor. Plus, that 1Ds body is sexy. GAF, help me decide!

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
the•rebel said:
I'm considering purchasing a used Canon 1Ds Mark II. I think the average price is $1,600. I just want a full frame sensor. Plus, that 1Ds body is sexy. GAF, help me decide!

There are people who still swear by the image quality of the original 1Ds but the bodies are freaking huge compared to Rebels, XXD class and 5D's.

tomjr

the•rebel said:

I agree with BlueTsunami regarding the size of the 1 series cameras. My 5d2 and a couple of lenses are heavy enough. I wouldn't want to travel with a camera that size. Also, I imagine any used 1ds2 probably has a whole ton of actuations by now.

The only benefits might be the IQ and AF, but I don't know how they compare to current bodies like the 5d2. I wouldn't imagine the high ISO or DR outperforming current bodies, though. 16mp for a sensor is still a good size.

XMonkey

lacks enthusiasm.
As far as AF, the 5D2 uses the same AF system as the 5D, so the 1Ds2 would smash it. That isn't to say the AF is terrible on the 5Ds... it just isn't ideal for fast moving action (the center point is quite amazing, though). The biggest thing I had to get used to was having the AF points much more centered in the frame compared to the APS-C sensor; it can feel restrictive if you use corner AF points a lot.

tomjr said:
I agree with BlueTsunami regarding the size of the 1 series cameras. My 5d2 and a couple of lenses are heavy enough. I wouldn't want to travel with a camera that size. Also, I imagine any used 1ds2 probably has a whole ton of actuations by now.

The only benefits might be the IQ and AF, but I don't know how they compare to current bodies like the 5d2. I wouldn't imagine the high ISO or DR outperforming current bodies, though. 16mp for a sensor is still a good size.
The seller listed the shutter actuations at 97,000. He is also including 2 extra batteries and an aftermarket strap.

Altogether, he was asking for $1,7000, but I haggled it down to $1,600. I'm not sure whether to buy the 1ds mk ii or not. I've been brooding over this all day long yesterday and I even had dreams of a full sensor orgy last night. :lol

If I were to wait for the 1ds mk iv's release, I doubt a used 1ds mk iii would be priced at $2,000. I just don't know what to do. I feel like I'm missing something with my 50D and my L lense is being restricted.

ana

I am really hoping that the next 5D mark is going to be announced soon... At the end of the year or beginning of the 2011... Some rumors are hinting that it should have 2 year cycle..

Mainly because I want the 5D mark II with a better AF.. :D

Can't afford 1D Mark IV.. But used 1D Mark III is really tempting...

osknoes

Thanks for the link. I'll keep an eye on it.

What do I want to shoot... well, I love to walk, so for now just going around the city and taking pictures and learn some knowledge about how to use the camera properly, etc.

Also, for the camera, as I'm a beginner I would say my budget is around 400-500$. I'm not sure if it makes sense to spend more than that, if I'm not able to use all the camera features.

Regards

XMonkey said:
The biggest thing I had to get used to was having the AF points much more centered in the frame compared to the APS-C sensor; it can feel restrictive if you use corner AF points a lot.

I think all the full-frame cameras have their AF points clustered in the center. The ability to focus on off-center parts of the frame is the main reason why I got an Eg-S focusing screen for my 5DII and do a decent amount of manual focusing.

Beatbox

alien from planet Highscore
Just ordered a 50mm 1.8 for my XTi. Used a $20 off coupon from office depot and got it for $83. My other lenses are an EF 75-300 and a 28-90 EF USM from my old Elan 7E 35mm. I won't have the budget for any $300+ lenses for a while so would you guys suggest I pick up an 18-55 IS lens next to cover my wide angle side of things a little better? Any other budget options to compliment my current set up?

XMonkey

lacks enthusiasm.
chaostrophy said:
I think all the full-frame cameras have their AF points clustered in the center. The ability to focus on off-center parts of the frame is the main reason why I got an Eg-S focusing screen for my 5DII and do a decent amount of manual focusing.
Ya it's just a byproduct of having such a large sensor. I forgot the specific issues you run into trying to expand the AF area, but I think it would really mess with the viewfinder in a negative way. I haven't experimented with different focusing screens yet.

golem

Beatbox said:
I won't have the budget for any $300+ lenses for a while so would you guys suggest I pick up an 18-55 IS lens next to cover my wide angle side of things a little better? Any other budget options to compliment my current set up?
The kit lens 18-55 is actually pretty decent. Should be able to find it cheap too.
http://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthread.php?t=445986&page=21

osknoes said:
Also, for the camera, as I'm a beginner I would say my budget is around 400-500$. I'm not sure if it makes sense to spend more than that, if I'm not able to use all the camera features.
Rebel XS perhaps.

tomjr

the•rebel said:
The seller listed the shutter actuations at 97,000. He is also including 2 extra batteries and an aftermarket strap.

Altogether, he was asking for $1,7000, but I haggled it down to $1,600. I'm not sure whether to buy the 1ds mk ii or not. I've been brooding over this all day long yesterday and I even had dreams of a full sensor orgy last night. :lol

If I were to wait for the 1ds mk iv's release, I doubt a used 1ds mk iii would be priced at $2,000. I just don't know what to do. I feel like I'm missing something with my 50D and my L lense is being restricted.

That's tough since you're only looking at Canon's top tier bodies. So you're not sure about the 1ds2 because it's an older body or just the mileage on that particular body? You'll definitely get more from your L lens. The person who bought my old 5d was very happy because he used his 16-35 on a 20d prior to the purchase.

golem

http://www.engadget.com/2010/08/24/sony-alpha-a55-and-a33-official-translucent-mirror-full-hd-vid/

We told you August 24 would be a significant day for Sony, and sure enough, the company has let the translucent mirror cat out of the bag nice and early today. The A55 and A33 offer Sony's brand spanking new Translucent Mirror Technology, which allows for such fine things as continuous phase-detect autofocus while shooting at up to 10fps (7fps on the A33) or recording Full HD AVCHD video. A newly developed 15-point autofocus system is also included, with 16.2 and 14.2 Exmor APS HD CMOS sensors for the A55 and A33, respectively. Both shooters come with a fully articulated, 920k-dot, 3-inch LCD screen, while 3D panoramas, automated HDR shot creation, and an Auto+ mode fill out the software goodies. Prices are set at $750 for the A55 in October and $650 for the A33 in September

A55 focus video

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/videos/a55-tracking.shtml

DPReview

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/sonyslta55/

I mentioned this in the Filmmaker's thread but I'll post it here... I also have some questions.

I'm getting the new Nikon D3100 in September or October.
D3100_ambience_2_l-001.jpg

14.2-megapixel DX-format CMOS image sensor; 3-inch monitor with One-Touch Live View shooting and movie capture
Includes 3x 18-55mm Zoom-NIKKOR VR Image Stabilization lens
Full 1080p HD Cinematic Video with full-time autofocus and sound
A video shot entirely with the D3100

With this I have a camera that can record high quality video with impressive depth of field. It gives a cinema-like look to the videos it records in HD. Just look at the youtube video. It's very impressive.

My question is what lenses should I get?

I'm buying the 35mm lens for sure. But I need something with a wide view that doesn't cost a thousand dollars. I also need a nice zoom lens. I was thinking of the Nikkor 55-200mm f/4-5.6G but my dad says I may need the Nikkor 55-300mm f/4.5-5.6G. For video, which one should I get? There's a $150 price difference between the two.

Should I just get a wide angle zoom lens and take care of having a wide angle and having zoom at the same time?

halp

the full-time autofocus could be a pretty killer feature over any comparable canon, if it works and isn't too loud.

that dpreview of the sony A33/55 makes me really want one! it'd be a nice step up from my NEX and seems like a more useful purchase than a 20000 yen A-mount adapter at this point in time...

Forsete

345triangle said:
the full-time autofocus could be a pretty killer feature over any comparable canon, if it works and isn't too loud.

that dpreview of the sony A33/55 makes me really want one! it'd be a nice step up from my NEX and seems like a more useful purchase than a 20000 yen A-mount adapter at this point in time...

It has an input for a external microphone, if SAM lenses become an issue. SSM lenses should be quiet enough (I have two and they are very quiet, 24-70mm Zeiss and 70-400mm G)

Does it have a built in AF motor btw? I have to get back to work now. :(

A55 is looking very tasty indeed, and they are just beginning with this. Sony is really going all out right now.

Alpha NEX = Mirrorless
Alpha xx = SLT
Alpha xxx = SLR

XMonkey

lacks enthusiasm.
There's a lot of great new features Sony is bringing to the table with these cameras, especially for an entry-level series. Hope this can light a fire under other manufacturers to step it up.

Forsete said:
It has an input for a external microphone, if SAM lenses become an issue. SSM lenses should be quiet enough (I have two and they are very quiet, 24-70mm Zeiss and 70-400mm G)

Does it have a built in AF motor btw? I have to get back to work now. :(

A55 is looking very tasty indeed, and they are just beginning with this. Sony is really going all out right now.

Alpha NEX = Mirrorless
Alpha xx = SLT
Alpha xxx = SLR

Yes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom