• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Camera Equipment Megathread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Antimatter said:
Awesome. :lol

Angry dude on the end of one of your photos?
no some punk kid who was trying to steal it on a train at 4am

i was pretty drunk and by the time i realized what had happened he was already off the train and gone but i still had my camera so i was still pretty happy

media_1284937355843.png

media_1284937366456.png

media_1284937338945.png

Fujifilm outs X100 rangefinder-esque compact

Sirs i am furiously masturbating to the thought of owning a digital range finder for less then ten thousand dollars.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
Zyzyxxz said:
Nice but a fixed focal length of 23mm (135mm equivalent in 35mm)? Isn't that a bit limiting.

Seems to be geared towards enthusiasts, some who wouldn't mind constantly shooting at 35mm (like back in the day when 50mm primes where bundled with bodies). Plus a zoom lens would take away from the nice compact body and lens combo they seem to be going for. Sort of like the Panasonic GH1 being bundled with the 20/1.7.

East Lake

"135" is sometimes used instead of "35" for film sometimes, if that's what was confusing you. The lens is equivalent to a 35mm film lens.

Edit: Also I like the optical viewfinder but what's it like looking through .5X magnification? Too small???

Zyzyxxz

Antimatter said:
"135" is sometimes used instead of "35" for film sometimes, if that's what was confusing you. The lens is equivalent to a 35mm film lens.

Edit: Also I like the optical viewfinder but what's it like looking through .5X magnification? Too small???

Yeah nevermind then, I'm cool with 35mm since that's what I usually shoot on my Nikon.

Technosteve said:
media_1284937355843.png

media_1284937366456.png

media_1284937338945.png

Fujifilm outs X100 rangefinder-esque compact

Sirs i am furiously masturbating to the thought of owning a digital range finder for less then ten thousand dollars.

From The Online Photographer:

Viewfinder: What will undoubtedly get the most press and be the subject of the most talk in the days and weeks to come is the all-new viewfinder concept. You say you want an optical viewfinder (OVF)? You say you sometimes prefer an electronic viewfinder (EVF)? Well, how about both? Together? In the same viewfinder?

In the picture of the front of the camera, above, see that little lever at the upper left of the lens? That lever allows you to switch instantly between an OVF and an EVF.

Here's how it works. In a normal rangefinder OVF, extra light is gathered from a separate window and used to project the framelines into the prism, which has a splitter in it to allow the two images to superimpose for your eye. What Fuji has done here—a really rather brilliant idea—is to simply dispense with the optical framelines and project a 1.4 MP LCD screen on top of the optical view. This allows them to put bright lines and full information (even a little histogram) into the optical viewfinder; or, you can flip the switch and see exactly what the lens sees as an EVF. Your choice. You can change at will depending on conditions. Oh, and the brightness of the superimposed information in the OVF changes with the intensity of the light, so it never washes out or becomes hard to see. Brilliant. I hope it works as well as it sounds like it does.

that looks hot.

does anyone know why all camera makers insist on keeping up the horribly 90s branding for their compact lines? like, FINEPIX, CYBERSHOT, COOLPIX, POWERSHOT etc...i don't want that written on my camera! it's like the camera industry is the only one in the world that didn't get the memo about classy naming.

BlueTsunami

Engadget link for that Fuji x100 with promotional video...

http://www.engadget.com/2010/09/19/fujifilm-intros-finepix-x100-12-3mp-aps-c-based-camera-with-hyb/

Just an FYI its a fixed lens camera, its not interchangable. With that said, I've mostly shot 50mm for two years now so it ain't a thang :D I can see myself getting that and then a Full Frame camera for the serious stuff (and telephoto use).

The MTF graphs show the Fuji lens on that camera as being sharp in the center from wide open and dropping off from there to the edges. Edge to edge sharpness at f/4.

PDF: http://www.fujifilm.com/photokina2010/pdf/catalogue/finepix_x100_catalog.pdf

Fireye

Samsung just announced it's NX100 NVIL (No viewfinder, interchangeable lens) APS-C camera. It introduces a new feature (I think), called i-Function, which allows you to change settings (apeture, shutter speed, iso) via the lens itself. Not quite sure how that works, hopefully there are more videos of it coming out soon.
http://www.engadget.com/2010/09/20/samsung-nx100-hands-on-video/
samsung-nx100-handson-photokina0485-1284984913.jpg

Edit: Hah, I'm late to the party. Apparently this is about 8-10 days old, oops! Well, have some stats, I didn't see it on any of the previous camera megathread pages:
Code:
14.6-megapixel CMOS image sensor
NX Lens mount
Super Sonic Drive dust reduction system
720p HD video capture
3.0-inch AMOLED display
20 exposure mode options, including Smart Auto, Program AE, and full Manual
Broad shutter speed range: 1/4000 - 30 sec. 
Continuous mode shooting at up to 3fps @ full resolution
HDMI output
SD/SDHC memory card slot
Li-ion battery pack
Optional EVF and GPS modules
http://www.dpreview.com/previews/samsungnx100/

Blackhead

Redarse
Fireye said:
Samsung just announced it's NX100 NVIL (No viewfinder, interchangeable lens) APS-C camera. It introduces a new feature (I think), called i-Function, which allows you to change settings (apeture, shutter speed, iso) via the lens itself. Not quite sure how that works, hopefully there are more videos of it coming out soon.
http://www.engadget.com/2010/09/20/samsung-nx100-hands-on-video/
samsung-nx100-handson-photokina0485-1284984913.jpg

Edit: Hah, I'm late to the party. Apparently this is about 8-10 days old, oops! Well, have some stats, I didn't see it on any of the previous camera megathread pages:
Code:
14.6-megapixel CMOS image sensor
NX Lens mount
Super Sonic Drive dust reduction system
720p HD video capture
3.0-inch AMOLED display
20 exposure mode options, including Smart Auto, Program AE, and full Manual
Broad shutter speed range: 1/4000 - 30 sec. 
Continuous mode shooting at up to 3fps @ full resolution
HDMI output
SD/SDHC memory card slot
Li-ion battery pack
Optional EVF and GPS modules
http://www.dpreview.com/previews/samsungnx100/
The I-Function modal interface is very interesting. I hope it works out well. I've been keeping an eye on this class of cameras but the reviews say they don't help amateurs learn and get better.

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
The Nikon D7000 looks awesome.

I just find it funny that Canon moves the xxD line down to compete with the D90. Then Nikon seemed to have consolidated the D300 and the D90 into a single body while moving the D300 successor to a different class.

Gotta love competition :D

So many goodies I love it. Really hoping the GF2, which is now supposed to be coming in Feb :( has a nice APS-C size sensor. Have $425 saved up so far towards it. The NX100 and the Fuji X100 look nice, but the GF's are still my favorite.

BlueTsunami

slider

BlueTsunami said:
The large red dot with Leica emblazoned on the body is a female art school student pantie dropper

:lol
I dunno why I laughed; I don't know if you're serious or not. Do Leica have a reputation I don't know about...? :|

East Lake

Forsete said:
Left eye? Ugh.
What's preventing you from using the right?

Also some company needs to make an M mount digital rangefinder with an optical viewfinder, that doesn't cost the price of a decent used car.

Blackhead

Redarse
slider said:
I dunno why I laughed; I don't know if you're serious or not. Do Leica have a reputation I don't know about...? :|
Each Leica camera comes with a preloaded with a roll of film containing pictures of Chinese female workers in various states of undress...

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
Jayayess1190 said:
So many goodies I love it. Really hoping the GF2, which is now supposed to be coming in Feb :( has a nice APS-C size sensor. Have $425 saved up so far towards it. The NX100 and the Fuji X100 look nice, but the GF's are still my favorite.
uh i think you'll be hoping against hope there...

BlueTsunami

slider said:
^^ From those clues I've managed to cobble together, for myself, an answer of sorts...

But in all seriousness, the Leica brand has been around for a long time. Back then and even now their known for build quality and optics performance (with their current M mount lenses being about the best you can get for the 35mm format).

But another angle is its fashionability. The Leica name sort of gets those art house geeks all hot and heavy. Probably due to its wide popularity as a rangefinder in the 50's and 60's where certain legendary photogs would shoot Leica. Total throwback in current times.

With all that said, I'm all for German designed products. Zeiss and Leica for the win.

slider said:

Well, the normal, everyday, non-limited versions of that camera and lens cost like US$12,000...

toxicgonzo

Taxes?! Isn't this the line for Metallica?
The Panasonic GH2 was announced today.

GH2k_slant14140LCD-001.jpg

Features:
• 4/3 type MOS ('Live MOS sensor')
• 18.3 million total pixels
• 16.0 million effective pixels
• RGB (Primary) color filter array
• ISO 160-12800 in 1/3EV steps
• AVCHD :
1920 x 1080p 24fps (Approx 23 or 17 Mbps)
1920 x 1080i 60fps (Approx 17 or 13 Mbps)
1280 x 720p 60fps (Approx 17 or 13 Mbps)
• Motion JPEG:
1280 x 720, 30fps
848 x 480, 30fps
640 x 480, 30fps
320 x 240, 30fps
• Touch sensitive 3.0" TFT LCD monitor
• Multi-angle swing and tilt (180° swing, 270° swivel)
• 460,000 dots
• Approx 100% frame coverage
• Built-in stereo
• Socket for external mic
142 x 90 x 76 mm
(4.9 x 3.5 x 3 in)

The major differences between the GH2 and GH1:

* New sensor - multi-aspect Live MOS with 18.3 million total pixels
* ISO range 160 - 12800 (vs 100-6400)
* Sensor capable of 1080p at 60 or 50 fps (rather than 24 or 25 fps), still output as 60i/50i
* Faster sensor read-out promises faster AF and smoother viewfinder image (less tearing)
* Larger EVF coverage to match multi-aspect shooting (852 x 600 rather than 800 x 600 pixels)
* Touch-sensitive LCD screen (same as G2)
* New, more modern looking menu screens
* G2-style combined AF mode/pattern control on top plate
* Direct movie shooting button moved to top plate from rear of camera
* Control dial moved from front of handgrip to rear of camera
* Dedicated metering and 'film mode' buttons replaced by highly customizable Fn buttons
* Q menu button moved from top plate to rear of camera
* New battery (DMW-BLC12E) with fractionally smaller capacity (1200mAh vs 1250mAh)
* Slightly heavier (394g compared to 385g body only)

This is a mirrorless camera!

VNZ

slider said:
THIS is how to do "retro" design. The Fuji X100 seem to have an awesome manual interface and great specs, but I see no desirable qualities in its overly nostalgic design. I'd even call it gaudy, in all its restrained retroness. The X100 looks dated while Leica is always timeless.

Kraftwerk

I want to get a camera for next year.Ive always had a simple digital camera from sony ,mainly used for portraits and whatnot.
I'm looking for something mainly for landscape shooting.Want to just snap a wide landscape photo of a field for example.Budget is $1000.I was just reading on the fujifilm X1 (releasing in march for $1000)and the comments/reviews were saying it is very good for wide/landscape pics because of its 35mm.
so what say you photo-gaf?

Kraftwerk said:
I want to get a camera for next year.Ive always had a simple digital camera from sony ,mainly used for portraits and whatnot.
I'm looking for something mainly for landscape shooting.Want to just snap a wide landscape photo of a field for example.Budget is $1000.I was just reading on the fujifilm X1 (releasing in march for $1000)and the comments/reviews were saying it is very good for wide/landscape pics because of its 35mm.

The price hasn't been announced, but I've been seeing $1700 prices floating around. And because it has analog controls (ie mechanical aperture ring, exposure compensation dial) you might want to look at something else as a beginner.

If you're looking for something compact that you can use for landscapes the Sony NEX-3 has a 24mm equivalent lens for $500 (much wider than even 35mm) or the just announced Samsung NX100 has a kit lens with a 30mm equivalent on the wide end for $600. You could also go the micro 4/3 route and pick up an Olympus e-pl1 for less than $500 nowadays that has a wide angle equivalent of 28mm on its kit lens.

giga

Kraftwerk said:
35mm isn't wide enough for landscapes. Do you want a DSLR?

NEX firmware update announced; allows autofocus with A-mount adapter, aperture control for video and assignable soft buttons! yessss that is good news, i've wanted that bottom button to be ISO instead of "shooting advice" forever.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
such a tricky time to buy a camera.

Do I buy something familar like a 60D, or one of the increasingly interesting new breed like the Sony A55 or even NEX-5?

Tideas

Banned
is there any camera released or soon to be released that could provide the IQ of a DSLR but in compact size?

I'm looking at the Lumix LX5

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom