• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Camera Equipment Megathread

Status
Not open for further replies.

luoapp

Speaking of NEX 3-5, they are getting a nice firmware upgrade.

http://85.133.72.79/content/detail.aspx?ReleaseID=6215&NewsAreaId=2

Available from mid-October, a firmware update adds fresh functionality to the NEX-5/NEX-3. Autofocus operation is now supported when using A-mount SAM and SSM lenses with the optional LA-EA1 Mount Adaptor (upgrade for NEX-VG10 is available from mid-November). There’s also a new custom function that allows assignment to buttons of frequently-used functions, plus a new function to record movies with setup aperture.

olore

So I went to Malaysia and then Singapore and there I bought a 550D with a Sigma 18-200. I want to buy a crystal clear prime lens. What do GAF recommend?

luoapp

olore said:
So I went to Malaysia and then Singapore and there I bought a 550D with a Sigma 18-200. I want to buy a crystal clear prime lens. What do GAF recommend?

50f/1.8, or what's your budget?

olore said:

Depend of your budget, but for $100 the 50mm f/1.8 is a best sellar because it's really small, light, cheap and crystal clear. The 5 blades aperture is a bit rough though and the bokeh a bit brutal.

The 50mm f/1.4 is doing well better with the bokeh (and as immensly better autofocus), but is also four times the price.

I heard the Sigma 50mm 1.4 is one GAF favorite. Look into that one too.

Canon's 85mm 1.8 is also a best sellar but I never used it so I can't tell much from my personnal experience.

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
Tideas said:
is there any camera released or soon to be released that could provide the IQ of a DSLR but in compact size?

I'm looking at the Lumix LX5
m4/3rds or NEX.

I use m4/3rds for landscapes and have images printed with them at 24"x36"

giga said:
Some, not all. I'd need at least 25mm for landscapes.
full frame or cropped?

It also depends on what your trying to do. Theres tons of different types of landscapes, but generally I only use wide angle for distortion of perspective. And I to more mid to long telephoto for traditional landscape.

I do 25mm all the way to 200mm on 4/3rds which is about 50-400mm on full frame.

olore

Hm, thanks for the info guys. I can justify spending a bit on this since my fiancee is getting hooked on photography aswell... :D

Tideas

Banned
captive said:
m4/3rds or NEX.

I use m4/3rds for landscapes and have images printed with them at 24"x36"

nex don't seem to be getting good reviews though. also, are the nex only good when you buy extra lenses? or would the camera itself be good enough for the IQ?

captive

Tideas said:
nex don't seem to be getting good reviews though. also, are the nex only good when you buy extra lenses? or would the camera itself be good enough for the IQ?
I have no idea. I use m4/3rds. I do know that additional lenses are generally going to be better than the kit lens but I can say olympus' and panasonic's kit lenses are better than most manufacturers.

giga

captive said:
full frame or cropped?

It also depends on what your trying to do. Theres tons of different types of landscapes, but generally I only use wide angle for distortion of perspective. And I to more mid to long telephoto for traditional landscape.

I do 25mm all the way to 200mm on 4/3rds which is about 50-400mm on full frame.
Either, but I was talking about full frame.

I understand perfectly what you're saying and I've done landscapes at long focal lengths as well, but I do use 24mm (full frame) quite a bit for landscapes and scenery. A lot of people, especially amateurs, wouldn't want to be limited without a wide angle.

My fiance is planning on buying a P&S camera which would work well underwater. She currently is looking at Casio EXG1, which can be had for around $200. Do any of you guys have any experience with it? Any other cameras in similar range which would work well underwater and is small yet sturdy?

Fireye

misterchef said:
:lol The old non IS version of this is currently ~$3k. So yeah.... I'm guessing it'll be 4-5k ish

What, seriously? I figured since the Canon 70-200 2.8 IS II is 2500, and the range was similar, it'd be around there. I guess that extra reach is worth it.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
Rumor is that Fuji themselves stated that the X100 will retail for $1000. Definitely better than the $1700 some were saying it would be.

mrnorush said:
done
5010439305_5d2bb89c96_b.jpg

:lol

If I had the ability I would totally use a blue plastic dot or green, glue it to the front and have "Fuji" in the same character style.

AlteredBeast

Fork 'em, Sparky!
Can someone tell me why I should stick with 4/3rds system for my next camera choice?

Olympus' new flagship E-5 camera looks nice, but for $1600, it seems like technology from a year ago.

Comparing the Nikon D7000, which will apparently be cheaper. It has less resolution, only does 720p video (and at a 7 minute clip limit...lame), 5fps burst mode vs 6, 11-pint autofocus vs like 27...

The list goes on and on. Why the hell should I stay with Olympus? I love the small size of the cameras and lenses and I really like Olympus menu system and the manufacturer themselves, but their big-boy cameras to me seem to be using last years big news...

AlteredBeast said:
Can someone tell me why I should stick with 4/3rds system for my next camera choice?

Olympus' new flagship E-5 camera looks nice, but for $1600, it seems like technology from a year ago.

Comparing the Nikon D7000, which will apparently be cheaper. It has less resolution, only does 720p video (and at a 7 minute clip limit...lame), 5fps burst mode vs 6, 11-pint autofocus vs like 27...

The list goes on and on. Why the hell should I stay with Olympus? I love the small size of the cameras and lenses and I really like Olympus menu system and the manufacturer themselves, but their big-boy cameras to me seem to be using last years big news...

Next camera choice? Do you buy one every year?

As for sticking with the brand, do you have any serious investment in Zuiko glass? Do you plan on actually using the features you listed on the D7000? Ultimately, only you know best. If the camera you have now doesn't fit your needs and you feel the new ones coming aren't your cup of tea, then maybe it's time for a change. Otherwise, just a waste of money.

AlteredBeast said:

The E-5 is quite a disappoint spec and price wise. I love my e-pl1 and keep it in my work bag that I always have with me, but even their micro4/3 announcements were boring (2 long, slow zooms). I'm hoping that they can bring back some of the innovative spirit they've always been known for ( ie similar to the awesome Fuji OVF/EVF).

captive

The E5 isn't the evolution a lot of people wanted. But what it is a very good upgrade to the E3. Yes maybe it could have been released last year.
But when you look at the list of things people love about the E3 and the list of things people hate about the E3 (high iso banding is one of them) the E5 keeps everything people love about the E3 and improves upon everything people hated.

For me its all about the image quality. So far it looks to be quite impressive. DPreview has ISO 3200 and 6400 samples up with the noise filter completely off. The ISO 3200 looks pretty good for a 4/3rds sensor.

I couldn't care less about 12mpx, I can already print 60" with the 12mpx on my E30 and if the E5 has a weaker AA filter its only going to look even better.

I'd like to get one in my hands.

also $1600 is the MSRP it won't be that high forever. Only not smart people and rich people buy cameras when they first come out at full price. Camera bodies lose their value so fast I don't know why anyone would pay full price for them. Lenses sure, they hold their value, camera bodies not so much.

Kraftwerk

reggieandTFE said:
The price hasn't been announced, but I've been seeing $1700 prices floating around. And because it has analog controls (ie mechanical aperture ring, exposure compensation dial) you might want to look at something else as a beginner.

If you're looking for something compact that you can use for landscapes the Sony NEX-3 has a 24mm equivalent lens for $500 (much wider than even 35mm) or the just announced Samsung NX100 has a kit lens with a 30mm equivalent on the wide end for $600. You could also go the micro 4/3 route and pick up an Olympus e-pl1 for less than $500 nowadays that has a wide angle equivalent of 28mm on its kit lens.
They announced it.its on endgaget.$1000.I cant link the article from my phone.

NYR said:
all right peeps, help out a newbie expand his collection:

Camera:
T2i

Lenses:
18-55 mm IS Stock
Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II

What should my next purchase be? Just looking for something versatile that will give me awesome results. A zoom lens would be preferred. Just want a quality lens.

Keep it under $500...
I had a roughly equivalent setup: XTi, 18-55mm kit, EF 50 f/1.8, and my next addition was a Lensbaby Composer. About $380 once I tricked it out with the accessories I wanted. It's a completely different look, so be sure look over their sample galleries. If you like the look, go for it. If you don't, stay the hell away (from what I've read, it's not a look that grows on people.)

Besides the look (which I personally like,) another thing that attracted me to it was the relatively cheap accessories that let me experiment with other styles of photography, such as the $40 macro kit or the $150 fisheye optic. It's not a replacement for a true macro or fisheye, but you can play on the (relative) cheap.

If that doesn't appeal to you, I'd second the strobe and add the bits to take it off camera.

Tideas said:

i haven't seen a review for the NEX that criticises its image quality - only the interface, which isn't great for DSLR users but i'd say would be a plus for you if you're after a compact form factor anyway. it'll be way ahead of a compact like the LX5 whatever lens you use, simply because of the sensor.

there are only 3 lenses for the NEX available now (7 coming up) and one of them is a ludicrously expensive superzoom - the 18-55 kit is what you'd expect, and i like the 16mm 2.8 a lot. those two came with my camera.

Lee N

Membre
So, I recently got a Canon EOS 550D Kit and a Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II, and the decision to get a prime with my camera has been both a blessing and a curse. I definitely love having it, but i've found myself keeping it on my camera at all times because I'm pretty displeased with the kit lens.

Because of this, I'm considering getting a high aperture all-round lens to replace the kit lens and right now I'm looking at the Sigma 17-50mm f/2.8 EX DC OS HSM. Would this be a good purchase or are there any other lenses I should take into consideration before taking the plunge?

VNZ

Lee N said:
So, I recently got a Canon EOS 550D Kit and a Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II, and the decision to get a prime with my camera has been both a blessing and a curse. I definitely love having it, but i've found myself keeping it on my camera at all times because I'm pretty displeased with the kit lens.

Because of this, I'm considering getting a high aperture all-round lens to replace the kit lens and right now I'm looking at the Sigma 17-50mm f/2.8 EX DC OS HSM. Would this be a good purchase or are there any other lenses I should take into consideration before taking the plunge?
An alternative is of course to go for more primes. I was very tempted by the Canon EF-S 17-55 f/2.8 but have given that up to go for more full frame-compatible primes instead. Also, I do love my Sigma 30mm f/1.4 but it's a bummer that it doesn't cover a full frame sensor.

I'd probably get a Canon EF 28mm f/1.8 or 35mm f/2.0. The 85mm f/1.8 is pretty good value as well, or a 100mm macro if you're tempted by macro photography.

Lee N said:

Tamron is also doing a 17-50 2.8

Lee N

Membre
VNZ said:
An alternative is of course to go for more primes. I was very tempted by the Canon EF-S 17-55 f/2.8 but have given that up to go for more full frame-compatible primes instead. Also, I do love my Sigma 30mm f/1.4 but it's a bummer that it doesn't cover a full frame sensor.

I'd probably get a Canon EF 28mm f/1.8 or 35mm f/2.0. The 85mm f/1.8 is pretty good value as well, or a 100mm macro if you're tempted by macro photography.
I guess getting a bunch of primes would be the ideal situation image quality-wise. But it's a bit limiting in terms of versatility, and convenience. Not to mention that it adds to the price tag rather quickly.

I want something more all-round, something with optical stabilization and zoom. The Sigma 17-50mm f/2.8 is really tempting.

UnluckyKate said:
Tamron is also doing a 17-50 2.8
I'll look into it. Thank you.

Forsete

Some NEX news from Photokina.. Someone already mentioned the firmware, but I'll include that anyway.

http://www.imaging-resource.com/NEWS/1285109120.html

Lens roadmap

Wide-angle Carl Zeiss prime lens
Telephoto zoom
Macro lens
Portrait lens

post-20210-1285073728.jpg

The Zeiss lens has a broken filter thread. ;)

High-performance standard zoom
Wide-angle zoom
Medium Tele

post-20210-1285073743.jpg

I rike the metal black lenses.

Firmware

It will fix most problems some people had with the UI.

Adds a user-selectable option to drop you back into whatever menu item you had last selected, vs. always taking you to the top of the menu system when you hit the Menu button.

Buttons for ISO, WB, Drive mode et.c.

Adds customizable buttons: A gigantic improvement for experienced users. The center button and lower-left button on the camera's back (see illustration above) can now have a wide range of camera functions assigned to them. Sony reps at the press event didn't have an exact number for how many functions could be assigned, but said it was "a whole passel" -- potentially 20 or more.

Video controll
Aperture control in Movie mode: Probably the biggest single request from video shooters, the new firmware will let you control the aperture used during video shooting in two different ways. In Auto mode, whatever amount of "background defocus" you select in still-image mode will apply to video recording as well. Likewise, if you've selected Aperture Priority mode for still shooting, the same aperture setting will apply when you switch to movie recording.

And perhaps the biggest news, A-mount lenses will now autofocus (if they are SSM or SAM-lenses, which all new A-mount lenses are.)
Support for A-mount Sony lenses with internal motors. Initially, the NEX cameras only supported the older A-mount lenses in manual focusing mode. The update will support autofocus operation with A-mount lenses that have internal focus motors.

And this is just awesome..
sonynexadapters.jpg

Finally, Sony representatives said they will proactively support the development of third-party lenses and adaptors for the E-mount. Because the E-mount has the shortest flange-sensor distance in the industry, there's more room to fit in an adapter and still have foreign lenses focus properly. Mr. Katsumoto made a point of saying that Sony was very much in favor of this, and was interested in proactively working with various companies to make more adapters. In a private conversation with Imaging-Resource.com Publisher Dave Etchells after the formal presentation, Mr. Katsumoto underscored that Sony would release full engineering specifications for the E-mount to third party adapter makers; a pretty unusual stance in an industry where manufacturers tend to jealously guard such information.
Thank you, Sony!

Wait, Sony, supporting third parties ? Giving engineering information ? Not locking their hardware working only with their tech ?

Zombie outbreak incoming !

Very cool that Sony is fixing the major complaints with the NEX series. All they need to do now is enable 24p to appease everyone.

I'm still waiting to see how the NEX-7 and A77 pan out.

Forsete

Valkyr Junkie said:
I'm still waiting to see how the NEX-7 and A77 pan out.

NEX7 was MIA (possibly because GH2 didnt show?). :/

A7x was shown as a prototype. Sony has only said that it will feature a new sensor and will be more powerful than A55.

VNZ

Some nice NEX/E-mount system news, but I really miss a fast normal lens. Around 30mm and f/1.8 or faster, s'il vous plaît!

Forsete said:
A7x was shown as a prototype. Sony has only said that it will feature a new sensor and will be more powerful than A55.

Yeah, but the latest are also that it's probably further off than the original first-half of 2011 projections for release. They've been teasing the A700 replacement (which this will likely end up being) in mock-up form for a year now.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
All these DSLR-lite cameras make my head spin. It feels like things are yet to settle down so if I dive in now it'll be an experiment, which makes me wary of investing in lots of lenses.

I,m tempted by the Nex-3 (functionally very similar to the 5) and the new firmware seems to cover the main concerns I had around buttons/UI. Helps that it reminds me of my old 505v, so i'm not phased by the lens heavy look. APS-C sensor is nice too.

But I also like the look of the GF1.

And then there are compact DSLRs like the Sony a33/55

Forsete

captive said:
he means the GF2, which probably won't be revealed till early 2011.

Yes, silly Casio* with confusing model names. :(

*Kidding, of course I mean Philips

I,m tempted by the Nex-3 (functionally very similar to the 5) and the new firmware seems to cover the main concerns I had around buttons/UI. Helps that it reminds me of my old 505v, so i'm not phased by the lens heavy look. APS-C sensor is nice too.

They might look big, but they are pretty small when you hold them, and very light. NEX3 is a little bit bigger than NEX5. Some people prefer the grip on the 3 because of this.

Compared to the 24-70mm Zeiss.
4974261869_c91d47d002_z.jpg

Shitty masking is shitty, but I didnt have time to do it proper. :p

VNZ said:
Some nice NEX/E-mount system news, but I really miss a fast normal lens. Around 30mm and f/1.8 or faster, s'il vous plaît!

Yeah, it really seems like prime lenses would be important for the EVIL cameras, because they can be small enough to make the camera pocketable. I haven't seen these cameras in person so I could be wrong about this, but they don't seem much smaller overall than the smaller DSLRs once you have a zoom lens attached.

Forsete

chaostrophy said:
Yeah, it really seems like prime lenses would be important for the EVIL cameras, because they can be small enough to make the camera pocketable. I haven't seen these cameras in person so I could be wrong about this, but they don't seem much smaller overall than the smaller DSLRs once you have a zoom lens attached.

Its much smaller, unless your talking about the 18-200 zoom lens, then I dont know because I haven't seen it in real life. Then again, it would only be fair then to compare it to a DSLR with a similar lens attached. :p

http://nextended.com/resource/iphone-20100627130550-1.jpg?fileId=7500865
A200 is a small camera by DSLR standards.

VNZ

Still, the only prime yet available for NEX is pretty niche. Unfortunately the lack of decent fast primes is a consistent problem across the EVIL systems. It really puzzles me since it's only with large apertures the creative possibilities of a large sensor become apparent. Not to mention the better performance in low-light conditions. My flatmate has an Olympus EP-1 with the pancake and the kit zoom, and with such lame glass there's really not much that separates it from premium compacts like LX3/5 and S90/95 as far as creative possibilities go.

yeah i'd really like a 35mm and a 50mm at least for the NEX. what with the new lenses being far away (and kind of underwhelming without numbers) and the firmware update next month, i'm thinking i'll get the a-mount adapter soon to cover that gap and go with an a55 later on to have a full system.

NEX-3 vs 5 is a crapshoot; i got the 3 despite kind of preferring the ergonomics/build of the 5, but $100 price difference for basically the same camera is a tough sell when that's the price difference between a double and single lens kit. plus i like the white NEX-3, white cameras are a good look. oh and the 5 shoots higher res video but it's inexplicably interlaced in some weird format whereas the 3 is just straight 720p mov, so it's easier to work with.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Nice. I'm tempted (sold a 550D as didn't like the ergonomics), and that looks good to me. Only problem is price. At the moment I can get a 7D for about the same price, as it's been out a while so prices have settled. I don't particularly need what that offers, and would appreciate the lighter, more compact 60D. It just needs to drop a few hundred.

Also a shame they don't do a 15-85 bundle in the UK like they do with the 7D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom