• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Camera Equipment Megathread

Status
Not open for further replies.

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
RapidCancel said:
So would anyone be able to point me to some tutorials for basic things on photography like iso, white balance, shutter speed, etc. I've been using my d40 for awhile but it doesn't feel like I fully grasp the basics.
http://www.cambridgeincolour.com/tutorials.htm

There are lots of websites out there that cover this stuff for free, I would say only buy a book if you just prefer reading stuff in hard copy.

Speaking of D40's... I've had this problem for a while that my images look dull, like it's not exposing them right. Increasing the vibrancy works pretty well, but it still looks... off, lightwise. I've tried adjusting the exposure compensation, but it's either too light or too dark. It wasn't like this when I got it last spring. I'll try to reset all settings and see if that fixes the problem when the battery has finished charging.

And also, I've seen some kind of connector thingy in the battery compartment that isn't related to the battery itself. My guess is that it's for battery grips, but as far as I know there are none for the D40. Does anyone know what it is?

East Lake

captive said:
http://www.cambridgeincolour.com/tutorials.htm

There are lots of websites out there that cover this stuff for free, I would say only buy a book if you just prefer reading stuff in hard copy.
Or if you want something in-hand while you experiment.
x3actv.gif

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
Atenhaus said:
I bought a new toy yesterday.

33952_1448014692039_1583340153_30936898_4550873_n.jpg

I'll be heading into the city to shoot a few rolls through it today.

Awesome! Great thing about that system (if it can take non-AF Mamiya lenses) is that Mamiya lenses in general are very cheap (value wise, still phenomenal optics).

GAF, I am an (unlucky) proud owner of a 7D for less than an hour.

But something is terribly wrong: the LCD is all green. Shiity frog green. When I take pictures, it appears as a huge pile a shitty 8 bit green.

I need to give it back tomorrow, ain't I ?

Stalfos

UnluckyKate said:
GAF, I am an (unlucky) proud owner of a 7D for less than an hour.

But something is terribly wrong: the LCD is all green. Shiity frog green. When I take pictures, it appears as a huge pile a shitty 8 bit green.

I need to give it back tomorrow, ain't I ?
Sounds like it.

Tamron just announced a new 18-270mm lens.

http://www.dpreview.com/news/1012/10120905tamron18270mmpzd.asp

Tamron has announced the 18-270mm F/3.5-6.3 Di II VC PZD superzoom lens, the first to incorporate the company's Piezo Drive (PZD) technology that promises faster and quieter autofocus. A completely revised, smaller and lighter version of the popular AF 18-270mm F/3.5-6.3 Di II VC LD Aspherical (IF) Macro, it offers an enhanced Vibration Control (VC) image stabilization system, uses a new optical formula with fewer lens elements and takes 62mm filters. The lens will be available in Canon and Nikon mounts from December 20 followed by a Sony version next year.

FStop7

Banned
BlueTsunami said:
Here's a PDF showcasing Arri Zeiss Cine lenses...

http://www.fdtimes.com/articles/zeiss/ZEISS_Book-150m_2up.pdf

Anyone have $50K to blow? :D

Look at that rectilinear 8mm f/2.8 lens :O

o man, i love this stuff. i'd love to rent a couple of those lenses and a camera that can accept them just for a day or two to see what it's like.

Anyhow, about camera gear:

I have been shooting photographs regularly for about 10 years. I started with a P&S digital and over time I moved up to a DSLR. I've had a few different bodies and lens combinations. I took a break from photography in 2008 because I felt like I was fairly stagnant in terms of developing my techniques. I've also been interested in filmmaking for as long as I can remember, since I was a kid. I purchased a basic HD camcorder and put together a workstation for editing and have done a few, basic videos. Mostly focused on cars and motorsports. I recently decided to pick up photography again and take advantage of the new HD-DSLR bodies that also do video. Right now I am using a 5D Mark 2 body, and two lenses (135 F2.0L and 17-40 F4L). I am very comfortable with the photography side, but the video side is still new territory for me. I've looked at various camera rigs, follow focus devices, remote mics, etc, and it's somewhat overwhelming. I'm trying to keep it simple, but it's easy to go crazy on the gear. I do see where some kind of stable mount and a follow focus are going to be necessary, but we'll see.

I also would like to pick up a 7D body at some point so I can take advantage of its FOV crop vs. the full frame of the 5D, as well as the 7D's 60fps capabilities. If the 5D Mark III does 60fps then I would probably stick with a single body and trade up from my Mk2.

As far as lenses go the only other photographic lens I'm lusting for is the 70-200 F2.8L IS Mk2. From a video perspective I really want to look more into some older pieces rather than the latest/greatest L gear.

wanted to add that i'm also interested in trying out other types of cameras than SLR. I'd like to rent a rangefinder and a medium format as I've never used either.

Suairyu

Banned
Purchase day is approaching and the budget has been increased. Currently looking at the 500D - what are people's opinions on this? My reading seems to indicate the major difference between it and the 550D is in the realms of video shooting, which I'm not really interested in for now.

Chairhome

Has anyone had this issue before? My 20D has started getting shutter lag. Meaning, I have to hold the button down for a bit before it registers and actually takes a pic. It doesn't always happen though. And I have tried it with manual focus, and with different lenses. Seems to only work properly consistently when I have a flash on the hotshoe. Any ideas? Its sad... but it is helping me convince the wife that I need an upgrade soon!

Borman

Suairyu said:
Purchase day is approaching and the budget has been increased. Currently looking at the 500D - what are people's opinions on this? My reading seems to indicate the major difference between it and the 550D is in the realms of video shooting, which I'm not really interested in for now.

Cant comment compared to other cameras, but Ive been loving my T1i (500d). Had it for over a year and Im still learning tons of new techniques on it.

That said, what is a good, cheap Canon body, used or new, to use as a backup shooter? Don't plan on using it often, but Im finding myself in situations where having a backup camera would be a great thing. Keep in mind I have a Canon t1i currently, with batteries and SD cards, the kit lens, the 50mm, and the 70-200mm 4.0L lens.

Finally took the plunge and got my t2i with the kits lens, a 55-250mm lens, and the 50mm 2.8 lens, with the Canon accessory kit that comes with a bag, extra battery and UV filter. All with a four year warranty on top for $1400 CDN. I think I got a good deal, and I am LOVING this camera. I took my first real portrait shot of my son for Christmas with the 2.8 couple nights ago:

christmas_portrait_by_emeraldemperor-d34p39x.jpg

First time posting in this thread: I recently picked up a Sony NEX-3 with an 18-55 and 16mm kit I wanted a DSLR but there is no way the wife was going to lug that around.

Any comments on the camera? so far the photos have been amazing.

Chairhome said:
Has anyone had this issue before? My 20D has started getting shutter lag. Meaning, I have to hold the button down for a bit before it registers and actually takes a pic. It doesn't always happen though. And I have tried it with manual focus, and with different lenses. Seems to only work properly consistently when I have a flash on the hotshoe. Any ideas? Its sad... but it is helping me convince the wife that I need an upgrade soon!

I've had my 20D for over five and a half years, and I've never had that problem, but I was curious and google turned up these POTN threads:

http://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthread.php?t=158384

http://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthread.php?t=579092

Among the suggestions is the idea of setting custom function 4 to 1, which transfers the auto focus from the shutter button to the * button (it then locks on to whatever is on the center focus square.) I've been using cf 4-1 for years now all the time.

Another possibility is poor contact in your shutter button. This can be tested if you have a remote release, if the remote works without lag, then the problem is likely the shutter button. A quick solution might be blowing air around the shutter button, otherwise it may need a repair shop. Good luck!

luoapp

JetBlackPanda said:
First time posting in this thread: I recently picked up a Sony NEX-3 with an 18-55 and 16mm kit I wanted a DSLR but there is no way the wife was going to lug that around.

Any comments on the camera? so far the photos have been amazing.

First thing first, find out if you have the lasted firmware. If not, download from Sony's website and update. It's a great small camera, and I've been enjoying it a lot :D

luoapp said:
First thing first, find out if you have the lasted firmware. If not, download from Sony's website and update. It's a great small camera, and I've been enjoying it a lot :D

Thanks I have upgraded to Firmware 3 and it addressed a ton of issues I was having the first night. :D

golem

Borman said:
Cant comment compared to other cameras, but Ive been loving my T1i (500d). Had it for over a year and Im still learning tons of new techniques on it.

That said, what is a good, cheap Canon body, used or new, to use as a backup shooter? Don't plan on using it often, but Im finding myself in situations where having a backup camera would be a great thing. Keep in mind I have a Canon t1i currently, with batteries and SD cards, the kit lens, the 50mm, and the 70-200mm 4.0L lens.
Used XSi, great camera

SRG01

Well, I just purchased the Pentax K-r (after ripping on it for not enough value :lol ). The kit 18-55mm is pretty good, but I'm planning to purchase some lenses in the future. Should I invest in a good prime, macro, or zoom lens first?

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
golem said:
Used XSi, great camera

I love my XSi, for a "entry level model' the damn thing is reliable.

I have taken around 23,000 shots since I got the camera and it is still as amazing as ever. The ISO performance is so great in this bad boy. I will likely buy another camera body in 2011 for my two L's (24-70L and 50L), but the XSi will be permanently attached to my 50L because the two work so well together.

I am hoping the price of the XSi goes down a little bit because I want to buy my little brother an SLR for his birthday present and give him my 28-155mm.

Zyzyxxz

SRG01 said:
Well, I just purchased the Pentax K-r (after ripping on it for not enough value :lol ). The kit 18-55mm is pretty good, but I'm planning to purchase some lenses in the future. Should I invest in a good prime, macro, or zoom lens first?

depends on what you shoot. I mostly do food and low light situations so I've been using a fast 35mm lense for months on my D90 now.

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
SRG01 said:
isn't the whole point of Pentax good fast primes that aren't necessarily offered by other systems?

East Lake

FStop7 said:
wanted to add that i'm also interested in trying out other types of cameras than SLR. I'd like to rent a rangefinder and a medium format as I've never used either.
If you rent I'd suggest getting a couple rolls of Portra 400 and a roll of Ektachrome E100G or E100VS (vivid saturation). Find a local lab where they can develop and scan it for you. Film is an entirely new money sinkhole from development to scanning, the ektachrome will cost a bit more to develop but the colors really pop.

BlueTsunami

SRG01 said:

If you're into portraiture, the Pentax 77mm f/1.8 is supposed to be something magical

Chairhome

Lucky Forward said:
I've had my 20D for over five and a half years, and I've never had that problem, but I was curious and google turned up these POTN threads:

Among the suggestions is the idea of setting custom function 4 to 1, which transfers the auto focus from the shutter button to the * button (it then locks on to whatever is on the center focus square.) I've been using cf 4-1 for years now all the time.

Another possibility is poor contact in your shutter button. This can be tested if you have a remote release, if the remote works without lag, then the problem is likely the shutter button. A quick solution might be blowing air around the shutter button, otherwise it may need a repair shop. Good luck!
Sorry, just saw this comment. Thanks for the advice! I really appreciate that you took time to look into my problem even though you didn't have to. I'll check this out when I get home for travel (though I should have brought the camera with me, some crazy snow up here in PA would have made for cool pics). Thanks!

Kall201

Okay, hello everyone, quick question:

My wife want a camera, a GOOD camera, but still something easy to use and to transport. I also want to use it in video mode as well. We're going to travel a lot in the next few years.

I think I'm going to buy a Sony NEX (3 or 5). Is it a good choice? By seeing this thread it looks like it is.

Or is there an evident better choice in the same price range?

BlueTsunami

Kall201 said:
I think I'm going to buy a Sony NEX (3 or 5). Is it a good choice? By seeing this thread it looks like it is.

Or is there an evident better choice in the same price range?

I honestly think the Micro 4/3rds cameras or the Sony NEX (basically mirrorless cameras) are a fantastic choice for ease of use and portability while still retaining good IQ (definitely over point and shoots with very small sensors).

It comes down to opinion but I really like the size of the Sony NEX and its articulating screen. Plus the price is very competitive for the camera you're getting (NEX-3=$550, NEX-5=$750).

Kall201

BlueTsunami said:
I honestly think the Micro 4/3rds cameras or the Sony NEX (basically mirrorless cameras) are a fantastic choice for ease of use and portability while still retaining good IQ (definitely over point and shoots with very small sensors).

It comes down to opinion but I really like the size of the Sony NEX and its articulating screen. Plus the price is very competitive for the camera you're getting (NEX-3=$550, NEX-5=$750).

Ok, thanks a lot ! I think I'm going to buy it.

Alucrid

Banned
My parents want to know what point and shoot to buy, but the little I know about cameras is all DSLR knowledge. They're looking to spend 200-350 and the camera should preferably be a slim one.

Zyzyxxz

Alucrid said:
I think I remember someone posting some pics taken with that on GAF. They turned out pretty nice too. I'll look into this some more, thanks.

If you dont care about video recording in 720p then I would recommend grabbing a Canon S90 while they are still available since its cheaper and on its way out but it still uses the same sensor as the S95 so same image quality.

Just ordered my dad a Rebel T2i that includes the kit lens and added on the Canon EF-S 55-250mm. Amazon had a deal where you could save $150 if you included that lens in your order. Total came out to be ~$900 for both. I'm sure I could have saved a lot more during black friday but this was a christmas gift idea that just came to me now. I'll let my dad purchase his own bag and accessories. :lol

Chairhome

Lucky Forward said:

Thanks so much! It must have been some kind of dust on the contact, I tried the other stuff to no avail, then I blew air around the button and it works great again! Thanks! Looks like I'll have to put off my upgrade for a little longer... :-( haha.

Zyzyxxz

PartlyCloudlike said:
Just ordered my dad a Rebel T2i that includes the kit lens and added on the Canon EF-S 55-250mm. Amazon had a deal where you could save $150 if you included that lens in your order. Total came out to be ~$900 for both. I'm sure I could have saved a lot more during black friday but this was a christmas gift idea that just came to me now. I'll let my dad purchase his own bag and accessories. :lol

thats actually pretty good, I've seen better deals but those require you to purchase a Canon photo printer with it that is worth $150 but is free after rebate and you can resell it online which is more work.

Zyzyxxz

Damn I noticed the price of the Panasonic LX5 has dropped to $399 on Amazon!

Really great deal if you want a phenomenal compact camera and are considering a Canon S95.

teiresias

I'm thinking of using some Christmas money to get the Tamron AF 70-300mm f/4.0-5.6 for my Nikon D90. Currently I have the kit lens that came with it (18-105mm) and the 35mm f/1.8. I've been wanting a better tele lens and this seems to have some good word of mouth. After that I'm going to be needing to get a better wide solution I think (though the kit isn't bad wide, I've just always felt like it's too short at the tele end when I'm using it as a walk-around lens.

Chairhome

So, I think I know the answer to this question already, but I figure I should go ahead and ask.

60D vs 7D: which one is right for me?

I have a 20D (which is being temperamental with shutter lag occasionally as stated above), but I'm probably going to upgrade soon. I am comfortable enough with photography now that I kind of know what I'm doing, and the number of AF points advantage and the increased FPS burst is not too appealing to me right now, but who knows if it will be down the line. I do like the articulating screen of the 60D. I also like the $600 price difference, haha. Price matters, but I'll probably be doing a financing deal (no interest for 2yrs), so its not a total deal breaker. But most opinions I've seen are that the 60D is nice, but going with the T2i or 7D is a better option. I'm assuming that the 7D would also be a much more "future proof" option. Just wanted to ask if anyone had any opinions on this... thanks.

Man, I've been trying to get my hands on an A55 for several weeks now. Body seems to be out of stock everywhere and a few places are charging an absurd premium on it if they do have it in stock.

Dunno...the rational side of me says "Dude, you're just going to take pictures of your wife and baby girl, A33 is good enough" but the gadget-geek in me says "Dude, you'll regret not getting the GPS, 2 extra megapixels, and 3 extra shots in continuous mode. Plus, it's not like you're suffering for the $150 difference".

GAF, should I listen to my rational side?

The A55 was in stock for almost a full day on Amazon and SonyStyle.com at different points in the past week; sorry you missed out. GPS functionality is awesome, but I think I would prefer to continue using my dedicated device in lieu of the in-camera GPS which I assume will have a noticeable impact on battery life, and might have satellite connectivity issues if you're constantly powering the camera on and off (I assume).

This is what I use, and I love it. Clip it onto my bag, power it on, and I'm good to go. Gets almost 15 hours of life off a single AA battery.
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001PO5VV8/?tag=neogaf0e-20

luoapp

CharlieDigital said:
Man, I've been trying to get my hands on an A55 for several weeks now. Body seems to be out of stock everywhere and a few places are charging an absurd premium on it if they do have it in stock.

Dunno...the rational side of me says "Dude, you're just going to take pictures of your wife and baby girl, A33 is good enough" but the gadget-geek in me says "Dude, you'll regret not getting the GPS, 2 extra megapixels, and 3 extra shots in continuous mode. Plus, it's not like you're suffering for the $150 difference".

GAF, should I listen to my rational side?

1. Buy A33
2. Take your wife out to a $150 dinner.
3. ?????
4. She won't have problem when you want to upgrade to a Carl Zeiss lens in the future. Profit!

Valkyr Junkie said:
The A55 was in stock for almost a full day on Amazon and SonyStyle.com at different points in the past week; sorry you missed out.
FUUUUUUUUUUUUUU!!!

I've been watching that shit like a hawk :( Willoughby's has had the price on the body only at $999. Ridikulus!
luoapp said:
1. Buy A33
2. Take your wife out to a $150 dinner.
3. ?????
4. She won't have problem when you want to upgrade to a Carl Zeiss lens in the future. Profit!
Under serious consideration :lol

I've also read that the sensor in the A55 has better low-light sensitivity, but I haven't seen any comparisons directly with the A55. Any idea on whether this is true or not?

CharlieDigital said:
FUUUUUUUUUUUUUU!!!

I've been watching that shit like a hawk :( Willoughby's has had the price on the body only at $999. Ridikulus!

If you don't already, check this site regularly as the admin usually updates whenever the cameras are back in stock at Amazon (since she gets money if you purchase clicking through their marketplace link :lol)
http://www.sonyalpharumors.com/

I think I read on dpreview's Sony DSLR forum when it was in stock at Sony's site, but it was out of stock in half a day.

luoapp

CharlieDigital said:
FUUUUUUUUUUUUUU!!!

Under serious consideration :lol

I've also read that the sensor in the A55 has better low-light sensitivity, but I haven't seen any comparisons directly with the A55. Any idea on whether this is true or not?

http://www.dxomark.com/index.php/en/Camera-Sensor/Sensor-rankings

dxomark.com compares DSLR sensors, and A55 is marginally better than A33, 73 vs 70.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom