• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Camera Equipment Megathread

Status
Not open for further replies.

luoapp

captive said:
sorry 2 stops is laughable between ASPC and 4/3rds. Thats the difference between full frame and a 4/3rds sensor.
And yes sony nex sensors are newer and micro 4/3rds is easily keeping up. Like i said its personal preference, but this is coming from someone who prints his images.

DPreviews comprometer. You can come any camera at any ISO between jpeg and raw.
http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/SonyNex5Nex3/page14.asp

I don't see a 2 stop difference at any ISO between raw or Jpeg between the Nex 5 or EPL1, its hardly 1 stop. And another thing that people often forget about ISO is color accuracy, and how much detail is retained in the noise.

Keep in mind that A) its 100% crop, but IMO is for pixel peepers B) Raw has no noise reduction applied.

As i posted several examples a few pages back. In these shots at 1600 and 3200 there is 0 chroma noise http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=22888511&postcount=3835
This is from the older EP2, if you dont think those compete with NEX then i dont know what to tell you.

so yea your comparing newer NEX sensors to older 4/3rds sensors and the differences are negligible at best. And the newer 4/3rds sensors are even better, and then later new NEX sensors will come out that are better than previous versions. Its a cycle and as i said in my original post EITHER one of these cameras will offer significant improvement in low light over a point and shoot.

definitely more than one stop.
lxk0o.jpg

Zyzyxxz

CharlieDigital said:
How likely am I to find discounts on the Sony A55 on Black Friday or Cyber Monday?

I'd say unlikely to find major discounts, unless its going to be advertised I wouldn't bother lining up. Just look for online deals.

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
i like how you compare the oldest of the m4/3rds to newer ASPC. GF1 has been replaced with the GF2. The EP1 has had 2 cameras since it came out, both of which perform better.

RAW 1600 NEX5 and EPL1, the two newest of each camera system
raw1600.jpg

raw3200 between NEX5 and EPL1
raw3200.jpg

jpeg3200 NEX5 and EPL1
jpeg3200.jpg

Jpeg 3200 is awful on both, this is why i shoot raw 100% of the time. As noise reducation algorithms get better in software i always have a RAW copy i can go back and make better as software gets better.
The RAW 3200 and RAW 1600 does not show a 2 stop difference between them. ASPC should be about 1 stop better than 4/3rds.

But as someone who owns and uses High ISO on an EP2, i can tell you that chroma noise like that is not present when viewing the picture at normal size.

These are 100% crops, which i've long contended are for gear heads that mostly like to brag about ISO. I print and sell my images, hang them in my home, therefore i am much more concerned how they look in print than how they look when zoomed 100% on a LCD monitor.
Do you watch your 1080p TV at 6" or do you go up to that artwork in the Louvre and stick your nose in it to view it? Because that's basically what your doing when you view pictures with 100% crops.

Buy whatever camera you want, I don't care, as i've always said every camera from every manufacturer is capable of doing awesome things. And as i've said now 3 times on this topic, both NEX and m4/3rds are going to offer significant improvement over a point and shoot(which i believe was the question posed, who knows at this point). I don't believe you are going to see much difference in real world scenarios with these cameras.

speaking of high ISO in small cameras...

fuji_natura.jpg

i really want this, the fuji natura classica. it's a 35mm compact that has a crazy "natural photo" mode for low-light shots when you load 800 or 1600 film, with awesome flashless results.

pht_02_01.jpg

like so!

pht_05_01.jpg

and that's ISO 400 with the little flash.

it's also over 30000 yen, so i dunno. i think i'm going to buy it though, i love the design and general idea of it.

mrklaw said:
disagree strongly with this. The new firmware makes the UI completely usable even for those that want more manual controls. It has just the same manual controls as the GF/EP range.
yeah i heard that the new firmware improved the ui greatly, but i wasn't aware that they had made all the manual controls instantly accessible. i was under the impression that sony was still aiming these at point and shoot users that want to step up into more manual controls, and therefore the default interface was still geared towards automatic controls, with the options to easily change your interface to more readily accesible dedicated manual controls. if that is true then i still stand by my statement, because i'm comparing an interface that is right out of the box with no user adjustments.

luoapp said:
definitely more than one stop.
captive said:
............ I don't believe you are going to see much difference in real world scenarios with these cameras.

Thanks to both of you.
I will go and have a mess around with both of them, although the GF2 is swinging it at the moment simply because I think the range of lenses looks better & more versatile and people seem to update the camera bodies more frequently than the lenses which is something I expect to do. I just wish the GF2 had the new GH2 sensor as it looks very impressive!

Magni

I'm currently hesitating between three DSLRs for Christmas, the K5, D7000, and 60D.
I'd use it primarily for outdoor photography, but will do a bit of everything else as well, including video. I have no real collection of lenses yet, so I'm not tied to any brand (my previous camera was an F55 with the default kit lens, so no big loss if I go over to Pentax or Canon).

What would you guys recommend? And what lens(es) should I start off with? Thanks =)

Forsete

Was this posted?

Sony announced that they are working on a Super35 CMOS E-mount videocamera (same mount with the NEX is using).

This is the prototype
1.jpg

Sony to expand 35mm large format sensor camcorder lineup
“NXCAM” HD camcorder under development, featuring E-mount lens system

Sony Corporation announced today that it is developing a new type of E-mount interchangeable lens camcorder for professional use that is equipped with a Super-35mm equivalent large format CMOS sensor. This new addition to Sony’s professional “NXCAM” line will be available in the middle of 2011.

Already a key player in the 35mm digital cinematography business with the highly acclaimed “CineAlta” F35 and SRW-9000PL for high-end digital cinema production, Sony has just strengthened its lineup in this category with the recent PMW-F3 announcement. In addition to this, with this new “NXCAM” HD camcorder now (still under development), Sony looks to further strengthen its position in the entry-level segment by providing an affordable yet highly capable professional solution for many applications including independent film, music video and corporate communications all looking for the cinematic look.

This “NXCAM” HD camcorder under development will be equipped with a Super-35mm equivalent sensor, a widely used film stock size in the film industry that is perfectly designed for capturing motion picture. This new sensor will have extraordinary performance in terms of picture quality and sensitivity, and is able to create rich “Bokeh” effect (beautifully defocused image) that is perfect for artistic story-telling in motion picture.

Thanks to the adoption of the E-mount interchangeable lens system that is identical to the “α” series NEX-5, 3 and “Handycam” NEX-VG10, the E-mount lenses will be compatible with this new professional camcorder. In addition, a very short flange back distance (the distance between lens mount surface and sensor surface) let various “α” A-mount lenses be mounted via a mount adaptor (LA-EA1). Furthermore, it is also possible to attach many other lenses using third-party mount adaptors*1. With such flexibility, users will be able to experiment with various creative expressions by exploiting the characteristics of different optics.

*1: Not all types of adaptors and lenses are guaranteed.

The recording format for this new HD camcorder will be AVCHD, a widely supported format by many non liner editing software vendors and the same format as HXR-NX5 “NXCAM” camcorder.
There is also a plan to implement 1080p (60p / 30p / 24p*2 or 50p / 25p) recording modes.
(MPEG4-AVC/H.264 compression will be used for these modes.)

Video here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e9gmjjFF89I&feature=player_embedded

Yay for more E-mount support. Should result in more lenses. :D

Zyzyxxz

MagniHarvald said:
I'm currently hesitating between three DSLRs for Christmas, the K5, D7000, and 60D.
I'd use it primarily for outdoor photography, but will do a bit of everything else as well, including video. I have no real collection of lenses yet, so I'm not tied to any brand (my previous camera was an F55 with the default kit lens, so no big loss if I go over to Pentax or Canon).

What would you guys recommend? And what lens(es) should I start off with? Thanks =)

Pentax has great older lenses for cheap but the K5 is a few hundred more than the D7000 which shares the same sensor.

D7000 will get the same excellent image quality from the K5 and Nikon has great lenses as well. Although you don't get autofocus with AI-mount lenses at least they will meter properly.

60D, its the cheapest of the bunch and will take great pics but at this price point its more in line with the Nikon D90 and Pentax K-7. The 7D is a beast and that is more in line with the K5 and D7000.

Ember128

So I'm trying to decide. The Canon 50mm F 1.8, or the 50mm F 1.4? Budget is an issue.

If I really have to I can deal with more chromatic aberrations in photo shop. What major differences is there?

Stalfos

Ember128 said:
So I'm trying to decide. The Canon 50mm F 1.8, or the 50mm F 1.4? Budget is an issue.

If I really have to I can deal with more chromatic aberrations in photo shop. What major differences is there?
I only have and shot with the 1.8 but I think the main difference would be the build quality and the max aperture. The 1.8 takes some great pictures, but you will obviously get a much better build quality with the 1.4.

luoapp

Ember128 said:

If 250 dollars are an issue for you, go get the 50mm f1.8. It's called "nifty fifty" for a reason.

Magni

Zyzyxxz said:
Pentax has great older lenses for cheap but the K5 is a few hundred more than the D7000 which shares the same sensor.

D7000 will get the same excellent image quality from the K5 and Nikon has great lenses as well. Although you don't get autofocus with AI-mount lenses at least they will meter properly.

60D, its the cheapest of the bunch and will take great pics but at this price point its more in line with the Nikon D90 and Pentax K-7. The 7D is a beast and that is more in line with the K5 and D7000.

Alright, thanks for the impressions. The main reason I was leaning towards the K5 was the WR, is that just marketing bullshit? I'm headed to Norway next January and wanted to spend some time taking pics in very low temperatures..

Chairhome

Ember128 said:

I love my 50 1.8, but I'm thinking of getting rid of it and buying an old SMC Takumar 50mm 1.4...

Zyzyxxz

MagniHarvald said:
Alright, thanks for the impressions. The main reason I was leaning towards the K5 was the WR, is that just marketing bullshit? I'm headed to Norway next January and wanted to spend some time taking pics in very low temperatures..

Usually cameras that offer weather sealing start at higher pricepoints but you do need to buy the WR lenses to be safe.

Shooting in cold temps is not something I've done for extended periods of time though so I can't comment how my Nikon handled when I was in Colorado.

captive

MagniHarvald said:
good weather sealing is not marketing bull.

All of Olympus' High Grade and Super High Grade glass is weather sealed, the E1, E3 and E5 are all weather sealed. Their weather sealing is damn good and they guarantee it as well.
There is a video of one of the pre-production model E5's being fully submerged underwater while recording the video. Not recommended, but thats how good the seals are.

I have heard the Pentax K-x is also well sealed but I don't know about the lenses.

Hi guys. I'm thinking of upgrading my camera body this Christmas as I really want a camera that shoots with less noise at higher ISO settings and accepts EF lenses.

I would like to stick with a Canon EOS since I currently own an EOS 10D Body + EF 50mm f/1.8 II & Sigma 70-300mm f/4-5.6 DG APO

nvm. the T1i I was looking at was the only one at that price. I'm either picking up a 20D or an XTi as they both cost around $250 used. I'll probably get the 20D although, on paper, the XTi sounds like the better camera. However, the 20D has a slightly larger sensor size and should have a better feel and controls

sadaiyappan

30080_398207553643_572508643_4425237_7009671_n.jpg

My mom took this with my brother's DSLR and this really expensive lense he has for it. That's him on the left, and me on the right.

I want to buy my sister a new camera. It needs to be at least compact size, though ultracompact is preferred. The big stickler is that she likes having a viewfinder, so that eliminates the more recent powershots from Canon. Any suggestions?

SRG01

What's BH Photo's online store like during Black Friday? Are the deals particularly good, or should I just pull the trigger on my camera purchase now?

vitaminwateryum

corporate swill
Im going to buy myself the Nikkor 85mm f/1.8. I've looked at reviews online and it seems to be one of the better lenses to get. Anyone have any personal experience with it?

Zyzyxxz

vitaminwateryum said:
Im going to buy myself the Nikkor 85mm f/1.8. I've looked at reviews online and it seems to be one of the better lenses to get. Anyone have any personal experience with it?

no but I've been looking at it for a while, it seems to be a really great value at the price.

hEist

Ember128 said:

1.4 is usm = faster.
and no freaking *klongggg* like the 1.8

how i hate the sound...

mrklaw

MrArseFace
captive said:
Buy whatever camera you want, I don't care, as i've always said every camera from every manufacturer is capable of doing awesome things. And as i've said now 3 times on this topic, both NEX and m4/3rds are going to offer significant improvement over a point and shoot(which i believe was the question posed, who knows at this point). I don't believe you are going to see much difference in real world scenarios with these cameras.

This we can agree on. I was probably exaggerating with the '2 stops' comment, but I was just trying to counter what I saw as unfair criticism of the NEX.

I agree that any mirrorless camera will be a good step up from a point and shoot, and much closer to proper DSLRs. Base your choice on form factor, how it feels to hold (very important when specs are so close relatively speaking), lens availability etc.

Danielsan

Arghh!!!
I bought the Nikon 50mm f/1.8D and guess what...fucking auto-focus does not work on my D3100. Guess I'll have to send it back. Fuck...

Zyzyxxz

Danielsan said:
Arghh!!!
I bought the Nikon 50mm f/1.8D and guess what...fucking auto-focus does not work on my D3100. Guess I'll have to send it back. Fuck...

You didn't do any research?

Anything that isn't AF-S won't autofocus with your D3100.

The best alternative is the 35mm f/1.8 AF-S. I've been 50mm to be a bit difficult to shoot all the time especially indoors on a APS-C camera. If you must have a 50mm lens then your only other option is the Nikon AF-S 50mm

navanman

Crown Prince of Custom Firmware
Bringing the level of this thread down from the expensive to the low-medium point and shoot cameras!
Christmas gift time and I'm looking at 3 cameras in the £99 range.
It's for the folks so has to be super easy to use with decent picture quality.

3 cameras in this price catch the eye:
Sony DSC-W320
Canon IXUS 105
Panasonic Lumix FS-10.

Any picks out of the bunch?

well at that level "picture quality" is more-or-less irrelevant, because they will basically all be as close to identical as makes no difference. far more important is your subjective impression of how they handle, fit in your pocket etc.

Futureman

Ember128 said:

Canon 1.8 or save up for Sigma 1.4.

Oldschoolgamer

The physical form of blasphemy
Aight, so I got the t2i and I am getting the 50mm lens. My friend has an old 80mm lens (it's a cannon lens) that I need an adapter to for to use. What's a good one to use.

Oh, and I love this camera. lol

navanman said:
Bringing the level of this thread down from the expensive to the low-medium point and shoot cameras!
Christmas gift time and I'm looking at 3 cameras in the £99 range.
It's for the folks so has to be super easy to use with decent picture quality.

3 cameras in this price catch the eye:
Sony DSC-W320
Canon IXUS 105
Panasonic Lumix FS-10.

Any picks out of the bunch?

at that price just go with the cheapest, quality is probably the same you need to go to 300-500 range of point of shoot to even see a image quality difference.

On a seperate note, why the fuck did the GF1 go up in prices!!! GF2 coming out you would think GF1 would get cheaper!

NEOGERF Need your advice i am thinking of getting a DMC LX5 with the electronic view finder
but i've been advised by my pro photo friend to go for S95. But i'm am a brand whore and want the Fake Leica digital, total cost for package would be 450 vs 399-300 for the S95. This will replace my 6 year old DSC P150 from 2004. I still shoot with my SLR on FILM but i like a high powered P&S to replace my ancient workhorse.

Help me decide!

luoapp

Technosteve said:
NEOGERF Need your advice i am thinking of getting a DMC LX5 with the electronic view finder
but i've been advised by my pro photo friend to go for S95. But i'm am a brand whore and want the Fake Leica digital, total cost for package would be 450 vs 399-300 for the S95. This will replace my 6 year old DSC P150 from 2004. I still shoot with my SLR on FILM but i like a high powered P&S to replace my ancient workhorse.

Help me decide!

Amazon has LX5 for 399, problem solved:lol

Okay GAF, I'm going for a 7D (the question is, before or after christmas though) but I'm selling my current gear. How much, do you think I can get for a one year old 450D (10 000 takes) with 17-85 USM (with UV filter and hood) ? more or less than 600 euros ?

Alucrid

Banned
Snow season is coming up and I want to take pretty pictures, however I don't want to do so at the expense of my camera. What precautions do I need to take with my camera before I bring it outside when it's snowing?

Stalfos

Alucrid said:
Snow season is coming up and I want to take pretty pictures, however I don't want to do so at the expense of my camera. What precautions do I need to take with my camera before I bring it outside when it's snowing?
From what I've read, the bigger issue is once you bring it back inside. Going from a cold to warm environment can cause condensation to build up on the camera. I believe that you'll want some ziplock bags, maybe a towel. When you are finished shooting outside wrap your camera and lenses in towels and put it in the ziplock bags and seal them up. Once you bring the camera back indoors wait a while to let the camera come back up to temp before taking it out of the back or else you run the risk of having condensation accumulate on the camera.

If you are actually outside and shooting when it is snowing you probably want to have some sort of weather cover/protection for the camera.

I've never really done any cold environment shooting though so hopefully others with more experience will also respond.

JORMBO

Darkness no more
I rented a Canon "L" series lens for a shoot this weekend. First time using one. I'm amazed at how sharp everything looks. I think I'll be taking the plunge and buying the lens once my bonus is in the bank account. I don't want to shoot without it now! :lol

Alucrid

Banned
Stalfos said:
From what I've read, the bigger issue is once you bring it back inside. Going from a cold to warm environment can cause condensation to build up on the camera. I believe that you'll want some ziplock bags, maybe a towel. When you are finished shooting outside wrap your camera and lenses in towels and put it in the ziplock bags and seal them up. Once you bring the camera back indoors wait a while to let the camera come back up to temp before taking it out of the back or else you run the risk of having condensation accumulate on the camera.

If you are actually outside and shooting when it is snowing you probably want to have some sort of weather cover/protection for the camera.

I've never really done any cold environment shooting though so hopefully others with more experience will also respond.

I noticed that last year. A little bit of condensation appeared on my lens when I took it inside. Luckily no lasting damage occurred, however it's one of the reasons why I'm looking for tips. Thanks for the bag idea, I'll try that.

captive

Adobe ACR 6.3/Lightroom 3.3 is out

Full list of newly-supported camera models:

* Canon PowerShot G12
* Canon PowerShot S95
* Nikon D3100
* Nikon D7000
* Nikon Coolpix P7000
* Olympus E-5
* Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF2
* Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2
* Pentax K-5
* Pentax K-r
* Ricoh GXR, GR LENS A12 28mm F2.5
* Samsung NX100
* Samsung TL350 (WB2000)
* Sony A560
* Sony A580

So would anyone be able to point me to some tutorials for basic things on photography like iso, white balance, shutter speed, etc. I've been using my d40 for awhile but it doesn't feel like I fully grasp the basics.

bionic77

RapidCancel said:
So would anyone be able to point me to some tutorials for basic things on photography like iso, white balance, shutter speed, etc. I've been using my d40 for awhile but it doesn't feel like I fully grasp the basics.
Seconded. I was just about to post the same question.

I have a D3100 coming in tomorrow and I want to learn how to use it properly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom