• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Camera Equipment Megathread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Akira

Good job, I enjoyed it more than Tokyo Reality (maybe due to the music). An awkward part was around 2:00 when you returned to the shot of the lady for some reason.

captive said:
that circular object next to the blue tooth adapter that says M,S,A among other things....

looks like a mode dial to me.

But the E-PL1 already had that, including the dedicated movie button (not sure why 43 rumors got this wrong).

Since you compared it to the E-P2, I was suspecting you actually meant control dials which the E-PL1 (and seemingly the E-PL2 as well) is missing.

Got a Nikon D3100 with the kit lens currently. What kind of filter(s) should I be looking into for this spring? I plan to take a lot of outdoor photos.

Joe

How do you guys feel about the Nikon AF-S 35mm 1.8? I'm interested in it because it's very affordable and is sharp but I'm worried that I might not be happy with the bokeh. I have just the kit lens and the standard 55-200mm VR. I primarily use the kit lens and I'm just not very happy with it. Out of focus backgrounds are pretty much non-existent and I feel like every picture is in a soft focus and not very sharp.

Zyzyxxz

Joe said:
How do you guys feel about the Nikon AF-S 35mm 1.8? I'm interested in it because it's very affordable and is sharp but I'm worried that I might not be happy with the bokeh. I have just the kit lens and the standard 55-200mm VR. I primarily use the kit lens and I'm just not very happy with it. Out of focus backgrounds are pretty much non-existent and I feel like every picture is in a soft focus and not very sharp.

Very sharp lens for the money, best budget AF-S prime you can buy since the 50mm f1.8 don't autofocus with D40/3100 family (but it is amazing too). Sorry but most of what I got is food, since that is my primary reason for photography.

Judge for yourself. All taken with a D90 (most have been through post-processing)

5263007424_736bf4ca13_b.jpg

5072881967_9df80ae1b7_b.jpg

5066102000_0c0912b81f_b.jpg

4862568046_715a7c0d49_b.jpg

4766354981_d03b4eac60_b.jpg

for comparison here is the AF 50mm f/1.8
4512243595_01d1d13c15_o.jpg

Best general photography Canon lens? Wife and I just got the Rebel XS and while the kit lens takes great photos, I know it could be better.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
KoruptData said:
Best general photography Canon lens? Wife and I just got the Rebel XS and while the kit lens takes great photos, I know it could be better.

The kit lens is generally good enough. Maybe the 17-55/2.8 IS? But thats at around $1000. If you're talking primes, the 35mm focal length is a nice one and Canon has a 35/2 thats decent for $300. A lens at such a wide aperture would be great for low light shooting and getting a bit of separation with Depth of Field (though not as dramatic as lenses north of 50mm).

BlueTsunami said:
The kit lens is generally good enough. Maybe the 17-55/2.8 IS? But thats at around $1000. If you're talking primes, the 35mm focal length is a nice one and Canon has a 35/2 thats decent for $300. A lens at such a wide aperture would be great for low light shooting and getting a bit of separation with Depth of Field (though not as dramatic as lenses north of 50mm).

Thanks for the input. Here is the kind of stuff im getting now which is a huge improvement over the point and shoot.

IMG_1052.JPG

Wedding ring spinning
IMG_0983.JPG

IMG_0485.JPG

IMG_0512.JPG

IMG_0652.JPG

IMG_0705.JPG

Stalfos

KoruptData said:
I got the 15-85 this summer and I'm liking it a lot. Its somewhat expensive and can be a little soft at times, but it provides a very useful focal range and the softness can be remedies for the most part in post processing. I do wish that it was a faster lens but to get something faster requires quite a bit more money.

The_Inquisitor said:
Congrats! I shoot a f/4L 70-200mm. Absolutely stunning lens. Planning on selling mine when I graduate and getting the IS version.
Hi, i'm thinking of buying the F/4 70-200 IS. Would you recommend it?

rage1973

Now I am looking to buy a good sturdy tripod for my 7D.
I was looking at Manfrotto 190XPROB and when I was looking at the head I saw Manfrotto 496RC2 Ball Head and Manfrotto 322RC2 Joystick Head Short. What's the difference between the two heads? The ball head seems to be cheaper. I plan to shoot lot of outdoor shots and panning shots at the race track with the tripod.

KoruptData said:
The sigma 1.4 30mm is a bit of a monster for cheap. Great lens.

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
rage1973 said:
Now I am looking to buy a good sturdy tripod for my 7D.
I was looking at Manfrotto 190XPROB and when I was looking at the head I saw Manfrotto 496RC2 Ball Head and Manfrotto 322RC2 Joystick Head Short. What's the difference between the two heads? The ball head seems to be cheaper. I plan to shoot lot of outdoor shots and panning shots at the race track with the tripod.
with what lens? I have the 190xprob and it will work fine for anything shorter than 200mm. It won't hold my 300f2.8 reliably. If you really want sturdy and or for longer telephoto shooting avoid tripods with center columns and 3 leg sections at the most.
The 190xprob will work great for wide angle and medium telephoto thought.

The difference between the two heads is the second one is more geared for video shooting, that is not to say that it won't work.

FStop7

Banned
What are you guys using for cleaning your lenses?

How about for cleaning sensors and removing dust from your SLR bodies?

captive

FStop7 said:
What are you guys using for cleaning your lenses?
Same thing i use for my glasses, soft microfiber cloth.
How about for cleaning sensors and removing dust from your SLR bodies?
Olympus dust buster, never had a spot on my sensor yet. :)

I just got a cheap LCD Viewfinder for $65. It fits on well, crops the viewfinder a touch, but still works really well for the price. Video is going to be much easier to focus now, as will photos in bright light. I find the viewfinder on the 550d pretty pokey.

14b8gvs.jpg

captive

Instigator said:
But the E-PL1 already had that, including the dedicated movie button (not sure why 43 rumors got this wrong).

Since you compared it to the E-P2, I was suspecting you actually meant control dials which the E-PL1 (and seemingly the E-PL2 as well) is missing.
my mistake, you're right i was thinking of the control dial, which is annoying as all hell not having one on the EPL1.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
I'm looking for a camera to do first and foremost interior photoshoots and outdoor photography in various lighting conditions that can vary from dark (think backlit subjects in pitch black room) to bright (bright neon lighting, outdoor, etc.). I love landscape photography but the real purpose of buying a higher-end camera for me right now is to eventually do photoshoots in controlled conditions (think fashion shots, fine art photography, etc.). I also like the idea of shooting short videos once in a while.

Right now I'm looking at the Canon EOS 7D, which is about as high as I'm willing to go for price-wise, but I’m sure some of you have suggestions. I’ll have to get some lighting equipment, so it has to be compatible with lighting accessories, etc.

If there's anything you can tell me to take into consideration when chosing a camera for the above purposes let me know:)

Thanks

bionic77

What is a good photo editing software program for Mac? I assume everyone is going to recommend Photoshop but how much effort is involved in using it? Right now the only thing I have is iPhoto and it is a little too barebones for me.

BlueTsunami

Ether_Snake said:
I'm looking for a camera to do first and foremost interior photoshoots and outdoor photography in various lighting conditions that can vary from dark (think backlit subjects in pitch black room) to bright (bright neon lighting, outdoor, etc.). I love landscape photography but the real purpose of buying a higher-end camera for me right now is to eventually do photoshoots in controlled conditions (think fashion shots, fine art photography, etc.). I also like the idea of shooting short videos once in a while.

Right now I'm looking at the Canon EOS 7D, which is about as high as I'm willing to go for price-wise, but I’m sure some of you have suggestions. I’ll have to get some lighting equipment, so it has to be compatible with lighting accessories, etc.

If there's anything you can tell me to take into consideration when chosing a camera for the above purposes let me know:)

Thanks

All 7D level cameras should be good enough up to ISO3200 (which would give you about 1/50s @f/2, indoors with average to below average lighting). Of course if you're shooting posed shots or static objects IS would help a lot for shooting in bad lighting without having to rely on pumping up the ISO. If you go with the 7D then a Canon 430ex II or the better 530ex II would be best for indoor shooting. Bounce the light around and you won't have to worry about shooting with real fast lenses or bumping up the ISO, you can even stop down the lens some. But flash photography is a whole other venture that I know little about.

FStop7

Banned
bionic77 said:
What is a good photo editing software program for Mac? I assume everyone is going to recommend Photoshop but how much effort is involved in using it? Right now the only thing I have is iPhoto and it is a little too barebones for me.

I would suggest downloading the 30 day trials of Aperture and Lightroom. They are products from Apple and Adobe that directly compete. They are very similar.

Lightroom lists for $299 in the USA, but you can get it for $79.99 if you are qualified for the educational discount. If not then you can get it for $224 from Amazon.

Aperture lists for $199 in the USA. I don't know what kind of price breaks there are for educational users.

Ether_Snake said:

Thanks

I would suggest looking at the 7D and 60D. If you plan on doing fine art and fashion photography then lenses and lighting are going to be just as important as your choice of camera body.

bionic77 said:
photoshop elements maybe?

golem said:
I have the IS version.. its razor sharp. Great lens

4958801559_2a0b72b717_b.jpg

thanx! I just bought a 7D and i will be getting it tomorrow :)))))))))))))). The 70-200 F/4 IS is next on my list.

bionic77 said:

Aperture. Easy to use, but deeper editing than iPhoto. Much more color control and such.

sneaky77

Always-honest said:
photoshop elements maybe?

thanx! I just bought a 7D and i will be getting it tomorrow :)))))))))))))). The 70-200 F/4 IS is next on my list.

How does it compare to the 70-200 F2.8 from sigma?

bionic77

Thanks for the suggestions. I will try the demos for Aperture and Lightroom but the prices are steep. I will check online for an older version or some deals.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
BlueTsunami said:
All 7D level cameras should be good enough up to ISO3200 (which would give you about 1/50s @f/2, indoors with average to below average lighting). Of course if you're shooting posed shots or static objects IS would help a lot for shooting in bad lighting without having to rely on pumping up the ISO. If you go with the 7D then a Canon 430ex II or the better 530ex II would be best for indoor shooting. Bounce the light around and you won't have to worry about shooting with real fast lenses or bumping up the ISO, you can even stop down the lens some. But flash photography is a whole other venture that I know little about.

FStop7 said:
I would suggest looking at the 7D and 60D. If you plan on doing fine art and fashion photography then lenses and lighting are going to be just as important as your choice of camera body.

Thanks for the responses. This is what I figured from what I read, so I know it's definitly not going to be on the cheap end, but I'll take things one step at a time.

I'm going to move to a new four-rooms apartment this year and I'm thinking of painting one of the room's walls in white and use it exclusively as a room to practice shoots in. I'll get props, cookies, umbrellas, etc., and probably build some stuff myself and just store all of that and my equipment in the room's closet and use the room itself for shooting. I'll quickly find out what I'm lacking equipment-wise to do what I want.

That, or I find a studio for rent instead of the usual apartment, but it can be expensive and poorly isolated (high heating bill).

giga

Aperture’s UI workflow and organization > Lightroom but damn is it resource intensive. Lightroom is Adobe’s best product after Photoshop.

equap

Banned
I bought a new lens, the Canon EF 24mm f/1.4 L USM II and i'm looking for a circular polarizer filter.

The one I want to get is the Hoya HD 77mm CPL filter. All the online stores are selling this at around $180 but on Ebay, they're going for $100.

Example:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=290492551724&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT
&
http://cgi.ebay.com/Hoya-77mm-HD-Di..._Photographic_Accessories&hash=item19c1af8253

are these legit? anybody here bought this from ebay before?

Thanks for you help!

equap

Banned
i read the Hoya HD is very easy to clean, tough (there are videos of this) and thin so there's no vignetting with 24mm lens.

BlueTsunami

Was about to post that getting a thin adapter would probably be best at that focal length. But yeah, Hoya and B+W, can't go wrong with either.

giga

Well easier cleaning isn’t something I would pay extra for but better light transmission and durability are. If it’s only $30 more, sure why not.

AlteredBeast

Fork 'em, Sparky!
Looking to get a remote for my Olympus E-510, want one that does Bulb shooting to get extremely long shots (like star trails at an hour or more) or lightning and other things that can get pretty random.

Question: On the remote, if I take a picture using the bulb mode, do I have to continually hold the button down on the remote and remain pointing it towards the camera, or does just pressing it once to open the shutter and pressing again to close it work?

rage1973

captive said:
with what lens? I have the 190xprob and it will work fine for anything shorter than 200mm. It won't hold my 300f2.8 reliably. If you really want sturdy and or for longer telephoto shooting avoid tripods with center columns and 3 leg sections at the most.
The 190xprob will work great for wide angle and medium telephoto thought.

The difference between the two heads is the second one is more geared for video shooting, that is not to say that it won't work.

Plan to shoot mostly 70-200 2.8 IS USM.
What head do you use?

Phoenix4

I'm planning on exploring British Columbia in June. Part of it will be the Inside Passage ferry from Prince Rupert to Port Hardy.

I'll upgrade my camera in a few months to a Canon 550D/Rebel T2i (i'm using a 450D now) and have the following lenses: 18-55mm F3.5 Kit Lens and a 50mm F1.8 (Low Light & Filming). The thing that's missing however is a zoom lens. My colleague who trades in lenses for a hobby and is a semi-pro photographer recommended me to buy a used Canon 70-200mm F4 L-Lens (not from him though). The price used would be around 375 euro/ $500 / 320GBP.

Should i go for this lens or is there a better option for me?

Phoenix4

The 70-200mm would be a little above my budget already, but i do want crystal clear pictures ;). Do you know if the sharpness from the lens you recommended is okay?

I see it even has IS, which the 70-200mm does not have. Does anyone know the advantage of the 70-200mm F4 compared to this 55-250mm F4 apart from build quality?

Edit: I see the price difference between the two lenses is 290 euro when i buy them new (190 vs 480. Would the obvious better IQ from the L-Lens be worth paying 2.5x as much new for me, an 'advanced beginner' ?

Fox1304

Don't forget that you get a new product and not a used one too.
Generally, L series are much better, but much more expensive too.
Don't know if IS is really necessary, since if I'm right, the 550D is already stabilised body-level.
But I find it usefull, maybe it's just a placebo ? :lol

I wouldn't say the 55-250 is cristal clear, since it's an entry-level lens, but as usual, it all depends on how much money you want to put in a lens, and how often you'll use it ...

( I know, I'm not really helpful there :D )

phisheep

NeoGAF's Chief Barrister
Fox1304 said:
Don't know if IS is really necessary, since if I'm right, the 550D is already stabilised body-level.

No it isn't. No body stabilisation in the Canon, I mean.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Ether_Snake said:

Thanks

could be worth considering full frame cameras. I'm usually the first to complain when people suggest full frame for the sake of it, but for what you've listed, I think it might be a good option. 5DII might be out of your budget, but a 5D in controlled environments like you describe would still be fantastic.

Fox1304

phisheep said:
No it isn't. No body stabilisation in the Canon, I mean.

My bad then. So I'd say go for the 55-250 :D.
You can always sell it back later if you have more budget to go for a L lens.

iamcenok

I'm jealous of those of you whom are rich enough to buy awesome Nikon/Canons.

I just bought myself a Pentax K-x, my very first DSLR and so far its a blast to mess with. I love this lil thing.

Before that I was using a 35mm Canon Rebel.

Anyways, I made a lil light box earlier -- and using a super shitty Halogen Light from the 70's (came with my Yashica Super-8 camera) and it loves to smoke after a few seconds being turned on. So I've been juggling taking shots and turning the light on and off.

Excuse the shitty watermark and dirty lens. >_<
5326640832_38be246d7f_z.jpg

5326308713_261080e38f_z.jpg

Can anybody recommend some cheap decent lights? I was eyeing something like this:
http://www.adorama.com/SVA80.html

sneaky77 said:
How does it compare to the 70-200 F2.8 from sigma?
The sigma is very good i heard. It's more expensive than the 70-200 F/4 IS from Canon.
Picture quality and speed is extremely good on the canon though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom