• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Camera Equipment Megathread

Status
Not open for further replies.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
Charred Greyface said:
What's the best place to find good prices on cameras? I'm not averse to getting it used.

If in America www.keh.com is a good place. Look in the "Digital" section. A very good value on that site would be the Canon 30D sitting at around $500. The cheapest DLSR would be (thats a Canon) the Rebel XT which sits at around $300.

Well, here we is on the eve of the launch of the Panasonic GF2, and the money I had saved to buy it has already been spent on an LX5 (of which I am happy with, but still a little angry at myself). Even though the GF2 isn't going to actually be available until next year, just seeing it almost makes me wish I had been more patient. And if I do get it, it will take me a while to save up.

Image from lumix.Panasonic.cn via 43rumors.
products_03.jpg

luoapp

more GF2 info:

- 19% smaller, 7% lighter
- 12m Live MOS sensor
- 60i or 50i 1920x1080 AVCHD video
- redesigned build-in flash
- 460,000 pixel 3inch LCD

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
golem said:
Still no built in IS ?
panasonic and sony don't do in body IS like Olympus does. This is how both sony and panasonic are able to make such tiny cameras.

Jayayess1190 said:
Well, here we is on the eve of the launch of the Panasonic GF2, and the money I had saved to buy it has already been spent on an LX5 (of which I am happy with, but still a little angry at myself). Even though the GF2 isn't going to actually be available until next year, just seeing it almost makes me wish I had been more patient. And if I do get it, it will take me a while to save up.
I got the LX5 for my wife instead of waiting for the GF2 as well. And next up for me is a Nikon D7000 body...as much as I like the GF2, I'm gonna have to skip on it for now.

the whole description of the touch screen and touch smart autofocus is pretty awesome. i'm still pretty happy with my gf1 though, maybe i'll spend on lenses and wait for a gf3, unless the gf2 body is pretty cheap.

it's a resistive touchscreen though, i dunno about that. i kind of wish my NEX had a touchscreen, but only if it was a nice one...the GF2's display looks really cluttered.

i'm sure you can turn that stuff off though, it still has buttons...

BlueTsunami

The Dynamic Range (or exposure latitude) of the Pentax K-5 looks eff'in ridiculous

Here's one example of a photographer taking a very underexposed photo and working with it in post

http://www.flickr.com/groups/k-5/discuss/72157625211745867/

The high ISO ability of the camera is pretty amazing too (for an APS-C camera). If I wasn't dead set on going Full Frame for my next camera body I'd get the K-5 in a heartbeat.

luoapp

BlueTsunami said:
The Dynamic Range (or exposure latitude) of the Pentax K-5 looks eff'in ridiculous

Here's one example of a photographer taking a very underexposed photo and working with it in post

The high ISO ability of the camera is pretty amazing too (for an APS-C camera). If I wasn't dead set on going Full Frame for my next camera body I'd get the K-5 in a heartbeat.

Check this out (dxo test results), the sensor in K-5 is just incredibly good. Amazing.
http://www.dxomark.com/index.php/en/Camera-Sensor/All-tested-sensors/Pentax/K5

k5rank.jpg

I need the Canon T2i at Black Friday prices. Wondering where to get it. So far I don't see anywhere that looks like it may have a deal on this particular camera.

BlueTsunami said:

I had no idea RAW could resolve 'lost' information like that.

Danielsan

Dear Camera GAF. I'm looking to purchase a polarization filter and a tripod and I've found both a reasonable price from a single brand. The brand is called Hama. Do any of you have any experience with this brand and if so, would you guys recommend them?

The tripod in question is the Hama - Star 61, 60 - 153cm, includes a bag and costs €30.
Their polarization filter also costs €30.

AlteredBeast

Fork 'em, Sparky!
Camera GAF, do you recommend I get an 4/3rds to Nikon or Canon mount for my E-510? Would it be worth it? Does the image quality suffer? Will I need anything else or is the adapter pretty much it? Anyone have any luck doing the same?

Danielsan

Some minor research into Hama leads me to believe that they are a budget brand and their quality reflects that. *sigh*
A B+W polarization filter seems to go for at least twice the price, and let's not even get me started on a tripod. The decent ones seem to be mad expensive. :(

Danielsan said:
Some minor research into Hama leads me to believe that they are a budget brand and their quality reflects that. *sigh*
A B+W polarization filter seems to go for at least twice the price, and let's not even get me started on a tripod. The decent ones seem to be mad expensive. :(

You have to consider that items like that are worth spending the extra money on as high quality ones will more than likely long outlast your camera itself. It's like with home theaters; you never want to skimp on speakers as good speakers will be good forever, while the other pure digital components like AV receivers can become outdated in only a few years.

Danielsan

Valkyr Junkie said:
You have to consider that items like that are worth spending the extra money on as high quality ones will more than likely long outlast your camera itself. It's like with home theaters; you never want to skimp on speakers as good speakers will be good forever, while the other pure digital components like AV receivers can become outdated in only a few years.
Certainly true, but considering I'm a near broke student I wish these things were slightly less expensive. :lol
Guess a tripod will have to wait. First on the list is 50mm f/1.8 lens (intend to do some really low light photography within a month) and a polarization filter.

luoapp

Danielsan said:
Certainly true, but considering I'm a near broke student I wish these things were slightly less expensive. :lol
Guess a tripod will have to wait. First on the list is 50mm f/1.8 lens (intend to do some really low light photography within a month) and a polarization filter.

You need a good CPL for a lens with big filter size to prevent vignetting. For small size lens (50/1.8 or 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6), a less expensive CPL will do just fine.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
I have a DSC-WX1. It has trouble opening and closing the lens or whatever. And it keeps saying turn the power off and on again. Anybody know a fix? I think the lens is misaligned or something.

BlackGoku03 said:
I need the Canon T2i at Black Friday prices. Wondering where to get it. So far I don't see anywhere that looks like it may have a deal on this particular camera.

I just pulled the trigger on the T2i with 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS Lens AND $200 off (code: 5525OOCT) of the 50-250mm lens (currently @ $208)

While these aren't Black Friday prices, I think that's an excellent price for the total equipment. If you aren't interested in the 50-250mm, you can substitute for $150 off the 75-300mm (code: 753OOOCT) listed at $135.

jax (old)

Banned
read the dpreview preview of the Nikon d7000 which I was going to get but then they're saying its a margnial refresh of the D90 *technically a D95 - but it costs 1k more.

completely deflated my interest :p

Danielsan

luoapp said:
You need a good CPL for a lens with big filter size to prevent vignetting. For small size lens (50/1.8 or 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6), a less expensive CPL will do just fine.
Good to know, thanks.

I also decided on getting a small tripod for the time being instead of shelving out over €100 on an actual tripod (which my budget doesn't allow right now). Ordered the Joby Gorilla Tripod DSLR-Zoom from Amazon.co.uk. Roughly cost me around €33.

vcdea.jpg

I'm in the market for a compact mirrorless camera.
- Never had a DSLR
- Want something easy to stick in my backpack when going mountain biking (compactness is a high priority)
- Needs good low light performance / good fast lenses as it will be used for lots of shots in wooded areas & for objects moving at speed
- Money for lenses will be fairly limited so a good range of affordable lenses would be useful
- Needs excellent build quality as it will likely take some knocks when out riding

Currently looking at either GF1/2 or NEX-5 but am unable to decide. Is the low light performance of the NEX that much better or do the faster primes for the GF series make up for it?

The smaller dims of the GF2 and addition of touch focus have me leaning towards that over the GF1 though I think the bundled prime on the GF1 would be more suitable for my uses so would probably buy the zoom kit and get the prime separately.

Any thoughts / recommendations?
Anything forthcoming from the other manufacturers in this segment (i can hold off till early next year for the purchase)?

Kamakazie! said:
- Never had a DSLR
- Want something easy to stick in my backpack when going mountain biking (compactness is a high priority)
- Needs good low light performance / good fast lenses as it will be used for lots of shots in wooded areas & for objects moving at speed
- Money for lenses will be fairly limited so a good range of affordable lenses would be useful
- Needs excellent build quality as it will likely take some knocks when out riding

Currently looking at either GF1/2 or NEX-5 but am unable to decide. Is the low light performance of the NEX that much better or do the faster primes for the GF series make up for it?

The smaller dims of the GF2 and addition of touch focus have me leaning towards that over the GF1 though I think the bundled prime on the GF1 would be more suitable for my uses so would probably buy the zoom kit and get the prime separately.

Anything forthcoming from the other manufacturers in this segment (i can hold off till early next year for the purchase)?
You really can't go wrong with either. The Nex body is a touch smaller but the lens m4/3 lenses are generally much smaller (check the new 14 mm pancake) and so far are of higher quality than the current Nex lenses.

The Nex has better ISO performance and the ability for more shallow depth of field thanks to the bigger sensor.

And the Nex also has a bigger, nicer screen, but I think this advantage is minimized by the lack of an attachable EVF like the GF series has for use in direct sunlight and to make MF easier with legacy lenses.

The future lens lineup is probably a wash as Sony will be bringing out Zeiss lenses while Olympus will be transferring some of their SHG Zuiko into m4/3.

Go buy either one, take some great pictures and don't become a 1 company fanboy on photo message boards haha.

BlueTsunami

Kamakazie! said:

I can't honestly say which would be better since I've never used either (I've held a Nex-5 though and it was really nice). But the Nex series cameras do have a larger sensor than the GF1/2 so its ISO performance will naturally be better. Its basically like owning an entry level DSLR thats been shrunk and slimmed down. With that said I think the low light performance almost evens out when you consider the Panasonic 20mm f/1.7 vs the 16mm f/2.8 offered with the Sony Nex. Another thing to consider is the 16mm with the Sony Nex will give you a wider Field of View though (25mm) vs the Panonics 20/1.7 (at around 40mm).

Zyzyxxz

Jax said:
read the dpreview preview of the Nikon d7000 which I was going to get but then they're saying its a margnial refresh of the D90 *technically a D95 - but it costs 1k more.

completely deflated my interest :p

where does it say that? Its no marginal refresh.

You get a magnesium-alloy body
New 16MP sensor
Amazing ISO performance at 6400 (very usable at 3200)
Legacy support for AI lenses (they can meter with the D7000)
Dual SD card slots
and if you care about video, continuous autofocus during video filming.

The only thing that may be of true interest would probably be the ISO performance for most people but I suppose if the other features don't get you excited then I think its not worth the money for you.

BlueTsunami

The D7000 has the Pentax K-5 sensor I believe, so its worth it for that. Get the D7000 and a Nikkor 28/2 and live life to the fullest!

BlueTsunami said:
The D7000 has the Pentax K-5 sensor I believe, so its worth it for that. Get the D7000 and a Nikkor 28/2 and live life to the fullest!
D7000 = Pentax K-5 sensor which = Sony made sensor. I am a Sony Alpha shooter and can attest to the quality of their gear. Though the K-5 is a absolute beast. Should also check out the Sony a55, those things have been garnishing rave reviews.

captive

luxarific said:
From which seller? I'm seeing 450 as the lowest price.
shoot idunno, the email i got said 399. It looks like best buy has it for the 399 price though.

luxarific

Nork unification denier
captive said:
shoot idunno, the email i got said 399. It looks like best buy has it for the 399 price though.

God that's tempting. The only thing that's keeping me from pulling the trigger are reviews that have said the autofocus is slow. can't decideeeeeeee

Kamakazie! said:
- Never had a DSLR

i'd recommend the gfs, but mainly because i own a gf1... the nex cameras used to have some ui concerns but i think they've more or less been resolved w/ updates.

the gf does have a faster autofocus, but like mentioned earlier, higher iso performance isn't as good as the nex series because of their larger sensor. the fastest panasonic pancake lens at 20mm f/1.7 does make up for that though. there's also a 14mm f/2.5 lens that will give a wider field than the sony 16mm f/2.8 pancake while still maintaining a slightly wider aperture. the 14mm panasonic pancake is pretty inexpensive too, i think around $399

build quality on the gf1 is pretty solid, i've definitely bumped it a lot, it's been dropped a few times, and has never really had any issue.

i think that deciding between the nex series vs. gf series is mostly about where you are in terms of experience w/ manual controls (at least with the gf1). the nex series seems a step beyond point and shoots with the options to allow you to use manual controls, whereas the gf series seems a step before slrs with the options to allow you to use auto features.

captive

honestly, yes the NEX has a bigger sensor than 4/3rds but not by much. The difference in High ISO is going to be negligible at best. Meaning IMO only the nitpickiest of pixel peepers are really going to care, and there are plenty of those people out there already.
Both are going to offer significantly better low light performance than any point and shoot.

Also if you don't plan on doing any editing of pictures I think Olympus' and Panasonic's jpeg engine is going to be better than NEX's. And most say Olympus' is better than Panasonic's.

This was taken with an EP2 at ISO 1600 because i was too tired to check the settings. (getting up for sunrise you should check all your settings the night before)

Click to make it bigger.
I have printed this image at 12x18 and it looks great, I would print this much bigger.

As for the build quality, well. Olympus stuff is TOUGH. Not more than a week after i got my EP2 I was swinging my EP2 by the strap on a walk with my GF and the strap came loose and it fell from 3 feet onto concrete, just a few minor scratches and it works great.

The Panasonic 20mm f1.7 + 4/3rds is unbeatable imo for a small take anywhere combo. I have posted more high ISO pics from my EP2 several pages back.

Thanks for all the feedback guys.
Think I will see what the prices are like when the GF2 comes out, go see what the handling is like (especially of the GF2 touchscreen) & then make a decision.

it looks like the gf2's japanese release is dec 3rd, and the kit will come with the 14mm f/2.5

the 20mm f/ 1.7 is an awesome lens, but i haven't used the 14mm so i have no idea how it compares.

link

waxer

Im starting web videos for my online shop and bought a sanyo hd2000a while they were half price at amazon. Now I want to start taking better/more professional looking pictures for our website. I only just got the hd2000 but even used (imported to New Zealand) I wil get what I paid for it back easily.

I am currently using a cheap light tent and a kodak dx6490 that we have had for years to take our shots. Now I want more.
The question is do you recommend a cheaper camera(but better than what I have) + my hd2000 for the video side of things.
Or will getting something like a T2i get me better results all round.
So basically is $500 on camera + $300 hd2000 better or $800 slr for both.

I haven't used slr cameras before so keep skill level in mind. Also that is pretty much the limit of my budget so I would be stuck with the kit lens for now.

It would be a shame to sell a video camera I just bought but I only just got the photo tent in the last few days and the limitations of my current camera are frustrating me. (or perhaps my skill considering I dont know much about photography yet)Despite that I got a few ok shots. Just took a lot of tries. And I haven't been able to make the objects float on a white background. Only using a white object on black for jewelry. We are a craft store so we have a wide range of stock to take pictures of.

Am I going overboard for what is just small internet pictures?

123rl

Canon 70-200f4 (non-IS) for £470 for a Canon 50D. Yes or no? I really want one and I know my photography passion would be re-ignited if I were to buy one

sneaky77

123rl said:
Canon 70-200f4 (non-IS) for £470 for a Canon 50D. Yes or no? I really want one and I know my photography passion would be re-ignited if I were to buy one

I bought one earlier this yr, so far I've loved that camera

BlueTsunami

123rl said:

Yes to the max but allowing your passion to be dictated by possible gear and new gear is a costly slippery slope.

That aside, its one of the best zooms and very good for portraiture and whatnot.

bggrthnjsus said:
it looks like the gf2's japanese release is dec 3rd, and the kit will come with the 14mm f/2.5

the 20mm f/ 1.7 is an awesome lens, but i haven't used the 14mm so i have no idea how it compares.

link

i played with a sample GF2 model yesterday, it's really cute. they had it next to the GF1 and the size difference is pretty striking.

olbareun

123rl said:

On a crop I couldn't tell the diff between this and Sigma 70-300mm f/4-5.6 which is only half the price. Note that if you like sports photography, 70-200 maybe a bit too big since I had trouble bringing 70-200 into some stadiums.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
captive said:
honestly, yes the NEX has a bigger sensor than 4/3rds but not by much. The difference in High ISO is going to be negligible at best. Meaning IMO only the nitpickiest of pixel peepers are really going to care, and there are plenty of those people out there already.
Both are going to offer significantly better low light performance than any point and shoot.

Also if you don't plan on doing any editing of pictures I think Olympus' and Panasonic's jpeg engine is going to be better than NEX's. And most say Olympus' is better than Panasonic's.

going to disagree.

The high ISO is noticable - its about two stops. Partly its sensor size, but partly its because the sensors in the GF1 and GF2 are coming up for 3 years old now and just aren't up to it.

The JPEG engine in the Sony is OK, not fantastic, but neither is the panasonic - the Olympus gets the plaudits for out of camera JPEGs.

bggrthnjsus said:
i think that deciding between the nex series vs. gf series is mostly about where you are in terms of experience w/ manual controls (at least with the gf1). the nex series seems a step beyond point and shoots with the options to allow you to use manual controls, whereas the gf series seems a step before slrs with the options to allow you to use auto features.
disagree strongly with this. The new firmware makes the UI completely usable even for those that want more manual controls. It has just the same manual controls as the GF/EP range.

The GF2 cuts down on physical buttons so is probably much closer in handling to the NEX than the GF1 which at least has a physical shoot mode button.

Honestly, please ignore the FUD about the NEX UI, its all fine now.

Best thing to do is go and handle these in stores. The GF1 felt a lot bigger than I imagined and has quite square corners - it was just uncomfortable for me. The NEX 5 felt great in the hand, even having a nice cutaway where my little finger wrapped under the body. Nex 3 is another option - pretty much identical in features but I didn't like the grip - too wide and shallow. This is nearly always the case with many camera choices - the technical differences are very minor, but blown up by forums etc. Go with what feels good in the hand, or meets your specific needs best.

IMO the star of the m4/3 range is the Panny G2. Yes its a little bulkier, but it has a great feel in the hand, and a lot of physical buttons/dials to change settings so you hardly ever even need to go into a menu.

captive

mrklaw said:
going to disagree.

The high ISO is noticable - its about two stops. Partly its sensor size, but partly its because the sensors in the GF1 and GF2 are coming up for 3 years old now and just aren't up to it.

The JPEG engine in the Sony is OK, not fantastic, but neither is the panasonic - the Olympus gets the plaudits for out of camera JPEGs.
sorry 2 stops is laughable between ASPC and 4/3rds. Thats the difference between full frame and a 4/3rds sensor.
And yes sony nex sensors are newer and micro 4/3rds is easily keeping up. Like i said its personal preference, but this is coming from someone who prints his images.

DPreviews comprometer. You can come any camera at any ISO between jpeg and raw.
http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/SonyNex5Nex3/page14.asp

I don't see a 2 stop difference at any ISO between raw or Jpeg between the Nex 5 or EPL1, its hardly 1 stop. And another thing that people often forget about ISO is color accuracy, and how much detail is retained in the noise.

Keep in mind that A) its 100% crop, but IMO is for pixel peepers B) Raw has no noise reduction applied.

As i posted several examples a few pages back. In these shots at 1600 and 3200 there is 0 chroma noise http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=22888511&postcount=3835
This is from the older EP2, if you dont think those compete with NEX then i dont know what to tell you.

so yea your comparing newer NEX sensors to older 4/3rds sensors and the differences are negligible at best. And the newer 4/3rds sensors are even better, and then later new NEX sensors will come out that are better than previous versions. Its a cycle and as i said in my original post EITHER one of these cameras will offer significant improvement in low light over a point and shoot.

Ryu1999

BlueTsunami said:
If in America www.keh.com is a good place. Look in the "Digital" section. A very good value on that site would be the Canon 30D sitting at around $500. The cheapest DLSR would be (thats a Canon) the Rebel XT which sits at around $300.

I just wanted to say thanks for pointing out this place. I ordered a used canon s90 and it came out to 270 bucks. Not only that it came with the Richard Franiec grip ($35) and the Lensmate Control Ring fix ($5) already on it. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom