• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Camera Equipment Megathread

Status
Not open for further replies.

rage1973

Got a new toy today.
Just in time to do some shooting at the Getty Center on Thursday.

IMG_0280.jpg

sneaky77

So jealous lol.. I am looking at the sigma version of this lense, which has really good reviews, cause the Canon is just a bit out of my range.
I wasnt sure if this 70-200 or the 24-70 would be better for walk around lense. Any advice?

rage1973

sneaky77 said:
So jealous lol.. I am looking at the sigma version of this lense, which has really good reviews, cause the Canon is just a bit out of my range.
I wasnt sure if this 70-200 or the 24-70 would be better for walk around lense. Any advice?

They are both heavy lenses so I would make sure you are ok with the weight before using them as walk around lens. But if you are ok with the weight I have found the 24-70 to be much better fit for me. Most of my shots tend to be portraits and I never really need anything close to the 70 range shooting with the crop camera.

According to SonyAlphaRumors, the Nex-4 which will replace the Nex-3 is coming or being announced by May, and the Nex-6 which replaces the Nex-5 in the fall. So now I have to choose between these:

E-PL2
GF2
NEX-4
NEX-6

And waiting on the Nex-6 to decide is not really an option since by then the GF3 and E-PL3 will be due to arrive in early 2012!

Jayayess1190 said:
According to SonyAlphaRumors, the Nex-4 which will replace the Nex-3 is coming or being announced by May, and the Nex-6 which replaces the Nex-5 in the fall. So now I have to choose between these:

E-PL2
GF2
NEX-4
NEX-6

And waiting on the Nex-6 to decide is not really an option since by then the GF3 and E-PL3 will be due to arrive in early 2012!

The rumor is that the NEX-3/5 will both be refreshed early in the year, with a more professional NEX-7 coming around mid-year. But there's always going to be something new on the horizon, so you're best just buying something when you really want it. I'd just go ahead and buy something whenever the money is right, and when you'll get to use it a lot like if you're getting ready to go on vacation or something like that.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
Hopefully they segment it more as far as the UI goes. Make the higher end NEX a little more intuitive for advanced photographers.

kid ness

Hey Camera-GAF,
I'm an amateur photographer, but I really really love it when I find the time. I'm currently in the market for a new camera. I had an Olympus Stylus and was content with it, but I think I'm ready for the step up to a DSLR. I've had my eyes on two specifically for a while: the Nikon D3100 ($599) and the Canon EOS Rebel T2i($799). I only want to shell out the extra $200 only if it's really worth it, and do you think I'm making the right choice with these two models?

Ember128

kid ness said:
Hey Camera-GAF,
I'm an amateur photographer, but I really really love it when I find the time. I'm currently in the market for a new camera. I had an Olympus Stylus and was content with it, but I think I'm ready for the step up to a DSLR. I've had my eyes on two specifically for a while: the Nikon D3100 ($599) and the Canon EOS Rebel T2i($799). I only want to shell out the extra $200 only if it's really worth it, and do you think I'm making the right choice with these two models?
The T2i is like the lighter version of my 7D now, with some exceptions. I'd go for it.

Speaking of which, I was messing around with the video mode (1080, 24fps) on my 7D, this is what popped out. This is also why I should have stepped it up to F 1.8, or 2.0, or so.

7D + 50mm F 1.4 + B&W Circular Polarization filter.

Edited to add: Not to mention improper White Balance. Messed that up.

Animator

kid ness said:
Hey Camera-GAF,

T2i is a great camera. I prefer Canon lenses and bodies to Nikon because the lenses are usually cheaper and the bodies fit me better. I would totally recommend the T2i as a starter camera.

Ill Saint

Hoping to get some advice or opinions here.

What do you guys think would be a good compliment to the Canon 15-85 f/3.5-5.6? I have the 50mm f/1.8, which I have probably taken the bulk of my best work with, but I'd like to step up. It's fine for what it is. Been looking at the 24-70 f/2.8 and 24-105 f/4 L lenses, but I'm not convinced they'd be such a big step up from the 15-85 to justify the cost.

I'd like a lens that's more open than the 15-85, especially when closer to the action. I tend to shoot at wider angles less, as my subjects are mostly people and situations, documentary, photojournalism type stuff. I'm kind of drawn to primes, maybe the 35mm f/1.4. The 50mm f/1.2 seems fairly unconvincing considering the price.

Any advice greatly appreciated, and thanks in advance.

Animator

Ill Saint said:

What do you guys think would be a good compliment to the Canon 15-85 f/3.5-5.6? I have the 50mm f/1.8, which I have probably taken the bulk of my best work with, but I'd like to step up. It's fine for what it is. Been looking at the 24-70 f/2.8 and 24-105 f/4 L lenses, but I'm not convinced they'd be such a big step up from the 15-85 to justify the cost.

I'd like a lens that's more open than the 15-85, especially when closer to the action. I tend to shoot at wider angles less, as my subjects are mostly people and situations, documentary, photojournalism type stuff. I'm kind of drawn to primes, maybe the 35mm f/1.4. The 50mm f/1.2 seems fairly unconvincing considering the price.

Rent and try the Canon 85mm f/1.8. It is an amazing lens, huge step up from the 50 1.8 in terms of quality and build. It is actually better than the f/1.2 L version imo because the focus is so much faster.

Dunno which camera you are shooting with but unless it is full frame I wouldnt get the 24-70 f/2.8. Get the Tamron one made for asp-c sensors if you need a wide zoom lens.

Ember128

Ill Saint said:

My personal vote is for the 24-70, as I hear nothing but good things about it. Haven't used it myself though.

For primes, I'm using a 50mm F 1.4 which is great for portraits, but I'm probably going to be getting a 28mm F 1.8 Prime, since I'm not using a full frame, instead of the 35mm F 1.8. However, that's going to be for something different, less interview stuff.

phisheep

NeoGAF's Chief Barrister
kid ness said:
Hey Camera-GAF,

Can't argue with the two that you have narrowed it down to. I went through the same process recently and came to the same shortlist.

There's not much between the two really. You'll find (as I did) that Nikon people would go for the Nikon and Canon people will suggest the Canon.

I realised that over time I'd be spending more on lenses than on the camera body - so I checked out the market in good-quality used lenses. Seems to me there is about twice the market in Canon lenses, and they end up cheaper. So I went for the Canon. Not regretting it at all.

Stalfos

Ill Saint said:

I got myself the 15-85 since I wanted a walk around lens that had the wider angle for landscape/cityscape type stuff, it had good range on the long end as well, and the cost worked much better for me. I don't think the image quality is as nice as you'd probably get from the L lenses, mine seems to be a bit soft in certain situations though this also might be because I recently switched over to shooting exclusively in RAW and photoshop or DPP seem to sharpen the images up nicely. When I researched the lens it did well compared to the 17-55 f/2.8 in tests. Overall I'm happy with it and it works well for what I wanted it for but I'd love to have the more open apertures as well.

If you wanted something for more portrait work and less wide angle I'd probably suggest to just go for one of the L lenses if cost isn't a factor.

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
Ember128 said:
My personal vote is for the 24-70, as I hear nothing but good things about it. Haven't used it myself though.

For primes, I'm using a 50mm F 1.4 which is great for portraits, but I'm probably going to be getting a 28mm F 1.8 Prime, since I'm not using a full frame, instead of the 35mm F 1.8. However, that's going to be for something different, less interview stuff.

I love the 24-70L, it is my go to camera lens when doing portrait photography.

That thing is a beast.
Sample 1
Sample 2

I would use the thing more, but my new lens is eating up more time than I expected, a 50 f1.2L. The thing is tack sharp and absolutely gorgeous.

mrkgoo

Hcoregamer00 said:

That thing is a beast.
Sample 1
Sample 2

I would use the thing more, but my new lens is eating up more time than I expected, a 50 f1.2L. The thing is tack sharp and absolutely gorgeous.

Holy crap.

How is the 50 1.2L ? I tried one at the store the other day and found it was a bit iffy on the focus.

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
mrkgoo said:
Holy crap.

How is the 50 1.2L ? I tried one at the store the other day and found it was a bit iffy on the focus.

My 50 f1.2L is really sharp.

The problem with the lens is that at f1.2 the depth of field is so thin that the chance of error is HUGE. This lens takes lots of practice for mastery but once you do, the pictures are magical.

I will upload my 50L pictures from Anime LA later this week.

Here are more 24-70 samples
Sample 1 (oops, this one is the f1.2L)
Sample 2

I love this lens :)

XMonkey

lacks enthusiasm.
Futureman said:
I got the 135L!

Should get it tomorrow. I'll post some shots in the Photography thread.

For reference I'm on a 5DII. Can't waiiiiiiiit.
Fuuuu... so jealous. 5D2 + that lens is an amazing combo, can't wait to see what you do with it.

Gabyskra

Banned
Hey all.

So I have what seems to be your regular starters' kit with the Canon 550D (t2i), the EF-S 18-55 mm f/3,5-5,6 IS and the 50mm 1.8...

Are there affordable lenses that would allow me to take pictures I just can't hope to achieve now? I'm not looking into huge quality upgrades, I don't have that kind of cash, but I'd love to know what are affordable options to expand the kind of pictures I can take, or if I should invest in some other kind of equipment like a tripod or a stabilizer, etc.

Gabyskra said:
Hey all.

So I have what seems to be your regular starters' kit with the Canon 550D (t2i), the EF-S 18-55 mm f/3,5-5,6 IS and the 50mm 1.8...

Are there affordable lenses that would allow me to take pictures I just can't hope to achieve now? I'm not looking into huge quality upgrades, I don't have that kind of cash, but I'd love to know what are affordable options to expand the kind of pictures I can take, or if I should invest in some other kind of equipment like a tripod or a stabilizer, etc.

Samyang 8mm Fisheye. It's all manual so it's cheap and cannot break. Super wide angle is super fun in all condition: inside, outside... Playing with angle and curve, rewriting all the rule of architecture is so much fun. And it cost less than 260 euros. Plus, you can shoot sport with it !

That's mine:

21aaeyw.jpg

That's what I shot with it :

2ly2z2w.jpg

ao24hy.jpg

308b777.jpg

1zmft5h.jpg

Fox1304

Looks fun !
Been thinking for a while to get a fisheye.
Just got a 50mm 1.8 though, so I'll experiment with it for a while before buying a new objective ^^

Fox1304 said:
Looks fun !
Been thinking for a while to get a fisheye.
Just got a 50mm 1.8 though, so I'll experiment with it for a while before buying a new objective ^^

I had 3 kit lens for the past year: 18-55, 17-85 and now 15-85 but it's my 50 1.8 that is always screwed on my body. Fix focal and fast aperture are a blast to play with.

Fox1304

I have the kit 18-55 and a 55-250, but I'm really starting to enjoy the 50mm. Really fun to experiment with, even though I'm a beginner, and not really able to pull some razor sharp and well composed pictures yet :D

Chairhome

Anyone check out lenshero.com ?
Pretty good site, lets you search by type and price. I'm probably going to use this in the near future...

Ember128

Hcoregamer00 said:

That thing is a beast.
Sample 1
Sample 2

Damn. DAMN.

I hope you don't find if I add you to my watch list.

Lenses do make s huge difference. For example;
Canon 50mm F 1.4
Canon 18-135mm F 3.5-5.6 (I think that's what it is.)

The first one used no post. Used to 580EX II's with umbrellas. And a biscuit.

The second I added depth of field artificially, used a hue/saturation layer, blur/soft focus and Vignette in post. I loathe using so much post. :( I'd rather have the effect naturally.

a55 get!

640zyv.jpg

in love. this thing is so fast - even at 250mm (at which point the lens only opens to 6.3) the autofocus is lightning.

cannot believe this camera, lens and memory card altogether cost me exactly the same as the NEX 18-200mm lens' list price. now i need to pick up a couple of primes (35 1.8 & 50 1.4, i think) and the NEX adapter, and i should be set.

I was going to make a separate thread about this, but figured I'd ask here first. Hopefully this post doesn't get overlooked...

Anyway, this is probably a dumb/n00b ass question, but here goes...

About a year ago I went a little crazy and spent $5,000 on a video camera (Panasonic AG-HPX170), and I guess because I bought it through Amazon I was denied my 5-year warranty. My standard 1-year warranty is now up, and I'm terrified to take it out of the house, to say the least.

So basically my question is: Where should I go/what should I do in order to fully insure this camera in the event of accidental damage, theft, etc? I've searched extensively online, and the answers appear to be all over the place. I'm aware of renters/home owners insurance, but 1) I'm not sure if I can even get that since I'm currently living with the folks and will be until around July, and 2) I'd imagine that that sort of insurance typically doesn't cover damage/theft outside of the home, which is where I need coverage the most.

I've looked into production insurance, but it tends to be pretty expensive and only covers specific things (e.g., weddings, short films, etc) when I just need basic, across the board coverage for a single piece of equipment for at least a year until I decide whether or not to renew it.

I'm guessing I need to find an insurance agent that's willing to insure a camera, but I'm not really sure how to go about that. Clearly I'm an insurance n00b, having only ever dealt with car insurance...

Please help?

Stalfos

NaughtyCalibur said:
I was going to make a separate thread about this, but figured I'd ask here first. Hopefully this post doesn't get overlooked...

Anyway, this is probably a dumb/n00b ass question, but here goes...

About a year ago I went a little crazy and spent $5,000 on a video camera (Panasonic AG-HPX170), and I guess because I bought it through Amazon I was denied my 5-year warranty. My standard 1-year warranty is now up, and I'm terrified to take it out of the house, to say the least.

So basically my question is: Where should I go/what should I do in order to fully insure this camera in the event of accidental damage, theft, etc? I've searched extensively online, and the answers appear to be all over the place. I'm aware of renters/home owners insurance, but 1) I'm not sure if I can even get that since I'm currently living with the folks and will be until around July, and 2) I'd imagine that that sort of insurance typically doesn't cover damage/theft outside of the home, which is where I need coverage the most.

I've looked into production insurance, but it tends to be pretty expensive and only covers specific things (e.g., weddings, short films, etc) when I just need basic, across the board coverage for a single piece of equipment for at least a year until I decide whether or not to renew it.

I'm guessing I need to find an insurance agent that's willing to insure a camera, but I'm not really sure how to go about that. Clearly I'm an insurance n00b, having only ever dealt with car insurance...

Please help?

I've heard good things about SquareTrade warranties http://www.squaretrade.com

olbareun

http://www.engadget.com/2011/01/13/fujifilms-x100-hybrid-viewfinder-demoed-on-video-gets-us-all-s/

anyone else hyped about x100? I basically sold my side gear to get funding for this camera lol. The LCD in the vf is used as the overlay panel when the optical viewfinder is open and when it is closed, it changes to evf. I thought it was a rangefinder, but supposedly it isn't and it will just focus like a regular camera (with evf supporting zoom)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VgBl0ejQ8c0 hoax video of a camera labeled as WVIL. The concept seems cool but I don't see this happening anytime soon.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
mrnorush said:
http://www.engadget.com/2011/01/13/fujifilms-x100-hybrid-viewfinder-demoed-on-video-gets-us-all-s/

anyone else hyped about x100? I basically sold my side gear to get funding for this camera lol. The LCD in the vf is used as the overlay panel when the optical viewfinder is open and when it is closed, it changes to evf. I thought it was a rangefinder, but supposedly it isn't and it will just focus like a regular camera (with evf supporting zoom)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VgBl0ejQ8c0 hoax video of a camera labeled as WVIL. The concept seems cool but I don't see this happening anytime soon.

I'm really psyched over it but I'll personally probably get a Full Frame camera before I consider the X100. But it looks fantasic. The MTF for the lens itself is supposed to be very good and Fuji is known for having a great image processor in cam for great colors straight out of the camera. The hybrid viewfinder looks extremely interesting too.

Ember128

Fox1304 said:
So the poor girl didn't get any biscuit ? :(
We shared some pizza afterwards. Even better!

Insurance has been on my mind as well, I'm going to call a few local insurance places and see what comes of it.

Borman

Any opinions on the 100mm macro lens, and any huge differences between the normal lens and the L? I love L glass, but I dont know if its necessary on this one. Still torn between that and some other lens though.

luoapp

mrnorush said:

What's so special about this x100?

it's a compact with an APS-C sensor, crazy viewfinder and a nice prime lens. i don't know about paying $1000+ for it, but it's definitely cool.

mrkgoo

Borman said:
Any opinions on the 100mm macro lens, and any huge differences between the normal lens and the L? I love L glass, but I dont know if its necessary on this one. Still torn between that and some other lens though.

Optically, I think they're close, at least from what I heard.

The reason I went with the L is because of build (nice case, and weather sealing - I take mine outdoors a lot on hikes and stuff), and the new hybrid-IS. IS is a great innovation, and this one even works a little at macro distances - very helpful.

luoapp

345triangle said:
it's a compact with an APS-C sensor, crazy viewfinder and a nice prime lens. i don't know about paying $1000+ for it, but it's definitely cool.

200 for the nostalgia factor.

Zyzyxxz

luoapp said:
What's so special about this x100?

Its basically a wannabe Leica X1. It has a APS-C sized sensor and its retro looks is suppose to give it the rangefinder look but its not a true rangefinder.

I think you are also paying for the looks and compactedness.

My only gripe is that its not an interchangeable lens camera, would have been sick to accept Lecia M-mounts.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
whats the simplest/cheapest option to get a decent macro on my NEX-5? I have the 18-55 and 16mm kit lenses, and canon FD 50/135/70-200, and an adapter for FD lenses.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom