• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Camera Equipment Megathread

Status
Not open for further replies.

hEist

captive said:
my coworker and I each got in cameras from B&H today. I got the E5. He got the 60D with battery grip and 17-40L, his first L lens. He is disappointed he didnt know the battery grip didn't come with any batteries.

haha that's canon :D

mrkgoo said:
Let me remind you:

7D @ iso 6400:

great pussy shot

I went from a 40D. I loved so much about the 7D. The AF mechanism is awesome, and I have found that I do switch between the AF modes. Have also bought a flash and learning to use it, so the built-in wireless sync with my flash is pretty nifty.

And the LCD screen is magnificent. About the only feature I don't really appreciate fully is the video :lol

I just tried a couple of flash shots with an external 550EX reacting to the internal flash. works great.
Do you use in camera noise reduction?

And video... oh well, didn't buy it for that, but yeah.. 1080P video function :p
720P 60 fps!

equap

Banned
Bq1D9.jpg
:D

Suairyu

Banned
Whelp, it's been ordered. Canon 500D and a 50mm f/1.8; camera should be here on Saturday with prime lens a week later.

Time to get me some portraiture experience!

mrkgoo

Always-honest said:
I just tried a couple of flash shots with an external 550EX reacting to the internal flash. works great.
Do you use in camera noise reduction?

And video... oh well, didn't buy it for that, but yeah.. 1080P video function :p
720P 60 fps!
I did usethe canon in camera noise reduction when I was still shooting jpeg. I thought it was pretty good.

I've kind of gone past caring about noise, though, so long a the image overall looks fine. The pixel density on the 7d is so high that moat noise is processed out during a resize.

Cool score, equap.

Jayayess1190 said:
E-PL2 or GF2? Want both.

http://www.pocket-lint.com/images/dynamic/5fc9b84b84e65ccc67251c4ebe99f80889b4cfe6.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]
Did you check out dpreview's studio comparison?
[URL="http://www.dpreview.com/previews/olympusepl2/page6.asp"]link[/URL]

Suairyu

Banned
Camera arrived! Once I get up to speed I'll begin posting shots in the photography thread.

I'm aware of technical sites like Cambridge In Colour, but can anyone point me in the direction of online resources that cover more the theory behind what makes a good photograph? Anything especially orientated towards portrait photography would be very much appreciated.

Chorazin

Suairyu said:
Camera arrived! Once I get up to speed I'll begin posting shots in the photography thread.

I'm aware of technical sites like Cambridge In Colour, but can anyone point me in the direction of online resources that cover more the theory behind what makes a good photograph? Anything especially orientated towards portrait photography would be very much appreciated.

Love him or hate him, Ken Rockwell does know how to take a good picture. Check out his articles here: http://www.kenrockwell.com/tech.htm

ChiTownBuffalo

Either I made up lies about the Boston Bomber or I fell for someone else's crap. Either way, I have absolutely no credibility and you should never pay any attention to anything I say, no matter what the context. Perm me if I claim to be an insider
Picked up a couple Canon 5D Mark II's for the business.

Well, looks like video mode sucks up memoru space like nobody's business and we need to get external microphone attachments.

hEist

ChiTownBuffalo said:

Well, looks like video mode sucks up memoru space like nobody's business and we need to get external microphone attachments.

oh i want that one :(
have fun!

let's say i have £1000/13万円/$1500 to spend. would anyone have any particular objections to me picking up the sony a55 kit with 18-55 & 55-200, plus a 50 1.4?

i'm drawn to it because it's technically awesome (things i personally do sort of care about in cameras, baseline image quality notwithstanding; good live view, bendy screen, compact, responsive) and the easy NEX cross-compatibility makes sense for me, but am open to other bang-for-the-buck suggestions if they're out there...

Fireye

ChiTownBuffalo said:

Gonna load up Magic Lantern on 'em? I visited Magic Lantern for the first time since they announced it, and was surprised to find the 550D and 60D supported. Wonder if that means that chdk could theoretically run on those platforms too...

Futureman

anyone have the Canon 135L?

Thinking of getting it for portrait and video work. Currently only have the Canon 17-40L and Sigma 50, need something longer.

Using 5DII.

ChiTownBuffalo

Either I made up lies about the Boston Bomber or I fell for someone else's crap. Either way, I have absolutely no credibility and you should never pay any attention to anything I say, no matter what the context. Perm me if I claim to be an insider
Fireye said:
Gonna load up Magic Lantern on 'em? I visited Magic Lantern for the first time since they announced it, and was surprised to find the 550D and 60D supported. Wonder if that means that chdk could theoretically run on those platforms too...

I think so.

Right now we're just playing around. But yeah, have to order new CF cards too.

Futureman

ChiTownBuffalo said:
I think so.

Right now we're just playing around. But yeah, have to order new CF cards too.

what is your work that you ordered 5DIIs for?

hire me: youtube.com/sciulli999

all my recent vids are done on 5DII.

bean breath said:
Did you check out dpreview's studio comparison?
link
But still the GF2 pulls at me since right now I am on my fourth Panasonic camera (LX5) and I like the touchscreen and Panny's interface. And still if the GF2 has a faster auto focus. I just need to wait until they are both out.

Suairyu

Banned
So I take photos with my 500D by using the viewfinder rather than live view. But whenever I stop I see my nose has left smudge marks on the LCD screen. Am I doing it wrong, have too large a nose or is it simply a part of life every photographer has to come to terms with?

phisheep

NeoGAF's Chief Barrister
Suairyu said:
So I take photos with my 500D by using the viewfinder rather than live view. But whenever I stop I see my nose has left smudge marks on the LCD screen. Am I doing it wrong, have too large a nose or is it simply a part of life every photographer has to come to terms with?

Haha! Me too. I'm hoping there's a viewfinder extender or a screen protector available somewhere.

Suairyu

Banned
Huh, 50mm prime arrived today, a week ahead of Amazon's expected delivery date. Taken two shots of family members so far; this thing is so nice. Love cranking the aperture really wide and getting the awesome depth-of-field.

Having a difficult time working out the optimum shooting distance, though. My subjects are mostly sharp, just not quite perfect. I'm unsure if it's an issue with the focussing or my distance from the subject. Is there a formula/table/graph to working out ideal shooting distance from focal length?

Chairhome

Suairyu said:
Huh, 50mm prime arrived today, a week ahead of Amazon's expected delivery date. Taken two shots of family members so far; this thing is so nice. Love cranking the aperture really wide and getting the awesome depth-of-field.

Having a difficult time working out the optimum shooting distance, though. My subjects are mostly sharp, just not quite perfect. I'm unsure if it's an issue with the focussing or my distance from the subject. Is there a formula/table/graph to working out ideal shooting distance from focal length?
Try stopping down the aperature to 2.0 or 2.2. You won't lose that much depth of field and the focusing area will leave a little more room for error.

spineduke

Unconfirmed Member
Suairyu said:

http://www.dyxum.com/lenses/dofCalc.asp

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
Suairyu said:

If its the 50/1.4 or f/1.8, shooting wide open you'll see spherical aberrations which can effect the perceived sharpness but its really just lowered contrast. It could be an issue of shutter speed too (not sure if you're shooting inside or not, if outside in good light then its obviously not that). Lastly, the DoF wide open on a fast lens can be fairly thin, so it could be an issue of technique (make sure you don't focus using the center focus point and recompose the photo. It'll throw off the focus a bit) or just the thin DoF exposing small focus errors.

Icethrill

Neo Member
I bought an Canon 500D some months ago, I got a regular 18-55 mm lens. Anybody who can recommend me a good not that expensive beginner lens. I am starting to grow tired of the 18-55 mm lens.

Futureman

Icethrill said:
I bought an Canon 500D some months ago, I got a regular 18-55 mm lens. Anybody who can recommend me a good not that expensive beginner lens. I am starting to grow tired of the 18-55 mm lens.

Canon 50mm f1.8.

It's like $90 and is actually an awesome lens. It will introduce you to prime lenses (lenses that can't zoom) and give you the ability to shoot in low light and give you real nice, out of focus areas when you set the aperture around 1.8.

CrankyJay

Banned
Is there a way to turn on LCD live preview on the Nikon D90 instead of using the view finder?

I have googled and haven't been able to find it.

Suairyu

Banned
Thanks for all your suggestions, guys. I guess it's mostly a case of learning by doing until you gain an instinct for how a particular lens behaves? Will try upping the f-stop a little (had it mined out at 1.8). For the record, they were indoor shots but with quite a nice amount of (overcast) sunlight pouring in through french doors.
spindoc said:
Oh, cool. Good for calculating your room of error with sharpness. Thanks a lot!

Futureman said:

Thinking of getting it for portrait and video work. Currently only have the Canon 17-40L and Sigma 50, need something longer.

Using 5DII.
i wish...

but the 100 mm Macro is good at portraits imo. Not even the new L one, but the older 100mm Macro is very much worth it imo. Nice Bokeh too.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Askia47 said:
I might go for Panasonic GF1, or should i go for something else or wait for the GF2?

hmm.

I'd be tempted to go for the GF1 as it has more physical controls. The GF2 feels more like an EP-L to me, a cut down to get more mainstream consumers to me. I don't think AF is any faster, and the sensor is the same, so its more down to size (tiny bit more compact) and usability with the touch screen (which is supposed to be pretty nice)

Go and handle one if you can, see how you like it. Also check out the GH1/GH2 if you can. I really liked those - not as compact as the GF/EP but lovely electronic viewfinder, flippy screen, and lots of nice dials to quickly change settings.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
345triangle said:
let's say i have £1000/13万円/$1500 to spend. would anyone have any particular objections to me picking up the sony a55 kit with 18-55 & 55-200, plus a 50 1.4?

i'm drawn to it because it's technically awesome (things i personally do sort of care about in cameras, baseline image quality notwithstanding; good live view, bendy screen, compact, responsive) and the easy NEX cross-compatibility makes sense for me, but am open to other bang-for-the-buck suggestions if they're out there...

Worth staying inside a system (you already have a NEX, right?) unless there are significant reasons not to.

I like the look of the A33/55, had a play with the A33 and liked the lightness, almost as compact as a GH1, fast AF.

So go for it I say. And post impressions.

okay well wednesday is payday! yeah i have a NEX and am pretty much sold on the a55, though today i found a shop selling it with sony's very well-regarded for what it is (far as i can tell) 18-250 lens in place of the standard kit's 18-55 & 55-200 combo for about 5000 yen more, so i think i'll go for that instead.

BlueTsunami

Futureman said:

Using 5DII.

Its pretty much the portrait lens for Canon. Plus the longish focal length plus large aperture must look real nice if used in videos but you'll definitely be a distance away from your subject if you try to do full body shots with the lens (I don't have the lens but I know the focal length).

I was interested in what it would look like exactly and found this...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rw46hdN6SoY

Damn at that Out of Focus rendition

Another with movement...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KMzpP0MFDrM&feature=related

mrkgoo

BlueTsunami said:
Its pretty much the portrait lens for Canon. Plus the longish focal length plus large aperture must look real nice if used in videos but you'll definitely be a distance away from your subject if you try to do full body shots with the lens (I don't have the lens but I know the focal length).

I was interested in what it would look like exactly and found this...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rw46hdN6SoY

Damn at that Out of Focus rendition

Another with movement...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KMzpP0MFDrM&feature=related

Dammit, I know I shouldn't have passed on that reasonable copy secondhand. I was all tied up in wanting a short tele, and missed a reasonable deal. I've always looked at the 135L as a possibility, because it's way more affordable.

Still, I keep having that nagging feeling it will be too long on my crop. I look at my 70-200 set to 135, and I do think that.

Askia47

mrklaw said:
hmm.

I'd be tempted to go for the GF1 as it has more physical controls. The GF2 feels more like an EP-L to me, a cut down to get more mainstream consumers to me. I don't think AF is any faster, and the sensor is the same, so its more down to size (tiny bit more compact) and usability with the touch screen (which is supposed to be pretty nice)

Go and handle one if you can, see how you like it. Also check out the GH1/GH2 if you can. I really liked those - not as compact as the GF/EP but lovely electronic viewfinder, flippy screen, and lots of nice dials to quickly change settings.

Thanks for the input, I want to get one before Feburary. The GF1 though has mono speakers when recording video which kinda sucks. I'll see what I can find.

BlueTsunami

mrkgoo said:
Dammit, I know I shouldn't have passed on that reasonable copy secondhand. I was all tied up in wanting a short tele, and missed a reasonable deal. I've always looked at the 135L as a possibility, because it's way more affordable.

Still, I keep having that nagging feeling it will be too long on my crop. I look at my 70-200 set to 135, and I do think that.

Yeah, the 135mm focal length is pretty damn long on a crop camera, so long that it seems like it would be good for birding. Its pretty much magic on Full Frame though (from what I've seen). You get that nice mixture of just enough compression, blur and sharpness.

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
Does the Canon 60D have pixel mapping?
My coworker's has a red hot pixel right in the middle of pictures. He is quite disappointed.

Joe

Can anyone recommend a good yet affordable 52mm polarizing filter? I think my limit might be about $50 unless the difference warrants spending more.

mrkgoo

BlueTsunami said:
Yeah, the 135mm focal length is pretty damn long on a crop camera, so long that it seems like it would be good for birding. Its pretty much magic on Full Frame though (from what I've seen). You get that nice mixture of just enough compression, blur and sharpness.

yup. And you can use the teleconverters on it.

It's funny - I keep chasing like 85L glass, cheap wide angle, or just ultra wide angle and so on for a crop camera, but at some point it becomes much more affordable (and appropriate) to consider going for a 135 and full frame, and open up all the cheap ultra wide.

Think about it: 7D +85L vs. 5D +135L

Futureman

I got the 135L!

Should get it tomorrow. I'll post some shots in the Photography thread.

For reference I'm on a 5DII. Can't waiiiiiiiit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom