• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Camera Equipment Megathread

Status
Not open for further replies.

sturmdogg

I'd like to get a DSLR, as I feel I've outgrown my current P&S. I have a limited budget, so my choices are:

a) get an older model such as a Canon 450D and use whatever is left of my budget to buy lenses and accessories, or
b) go get a new camera like the Canon 550D and make do with the kit lens for the meantime.

Any thoughts on which is the better option?

mrklaw

MrArseFace
depends whats left. I'd go for the 550d, the video is great and its basically a mini 7D, so it'll last you for years to come.

Nothing wrong with the kit lens, get a cheap nifty fifty as soon as you can afford afterwards and you'll be fine for some time to come.

Its often recommended that you don't splash out on lenses immediately. Spend time with the camera to get an idea what you like to shoot. Do you find yourself wanting more reach (telephoto) or less (wide angle) or closeups (macro) or better control of depth of field (fast aperture)

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
rage1973 said:
Plan to shoot mostly 70-200 2.8 IS USM.
What head do you use?
I wanted a very good ball head that would hold my 300f2.8 in a pinch, when not used on my gimbal head, so I got the Acratech ultimate ballhead. Its about 400 bucks but so so worth it, this thing doesn't creep with my 300f2.8 on it and it weighs 7 pounds + my camera and teleconverters. I would highly recommend it to anyone interested in a ballhead. It can also be used as a gimbal head for shorter telephotos.

Suairyu

Banned
sturmdogg said:
I'd like to get a DSLR, as I feel I've outgrown my current P&S. I have a limited budget, so my choices are:

a) get an older model such as a Canon 450D and use whatever is left of my budget to buy lenses and accessories, or
b) go get a new camera like the Canon 550D and make do with the kit lens for the meantime.

500D, maybe? The price difference between that and the 550D is about that of your basic prime.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
UnluckyKate said:
Quick question:

Canon or Sigma 50mm 1.4 ?

The Sigma is the better lens in regards to IQ and build quality but you may run into large backfocus or frontfocus that needs to be adjusted in camera. I haven't heard too much about focus errors anymore with it though (as there was at first).

The Canon is good but the AF module is very fragile (if it took a hard enough bump on the nose while extended lightly, it'll stop focusing and need to be sent to Canon). The Sigma is more robustly built in this regard.

On the IQ side, the Sigma is sharper and more importantly more contrasty wide open. Remarkably so. And the bokeh is more diffused. You're paying a couple of hundred more for the build quality and IQ though.

BlueTsunami said:
The Sigma is the better lens in regards to IQ and build quality but you may run into large backfocus or frontfocus that needs to be adjusted in camera. I haven't heard too much about focus errors anymore with it though (as there was at first).

The Canon is good but the AF module is very fragile (if it took a hard enough bump on the nose while extended lightly, it'll stop focusing and need to be sent to Canon). The Sigma is more robustly built in this regard.

On the IQ side, the Sigma is sharper and more importantly more contrasty wide open. Remarkably so. And the bokeh is more diffused. You're paying a couple of hundred more for the build quality and IQ though.

The bokeh seems better on the Sigma, with more curved blade. Does the HSM motorisation allow full time manual focusing ? Does the lens hood comes with it ?

sarcastor

sturmdogg said:
if you want to be a photographer, get the 450D/Xsi and spend the money on lenses. video is great but it's an added bonus. Get the 450D or even 1000D and then buy a used tamron 17-50mm f/2.8 or 50mm f/1.8 + 35mm f/2.0 and start shooting!

UnluckyKate said:
Quick question: Canon or Sigma 50mm 1.4 ?
I just bought the canon over the sigma, even though the sigma was more rugged and had better PQ (according to several reviews i read). I'd rather have a 100% chance of lens taking A- pictures then a 80-90% chance of a lens taking A+ pictures.

BlueTsunami

UnluckyKate said:
The bokeh seems better on the Sigma, with more curved blade. Does the HSM motorisation allow full time manual focusing ? Does the lens hood comes with it ?

Yep, the lens allows Full Time Manual Focusing. And on the Bokeh, the lens has been likened to a Leica in regards to the rendition of the bokeh. Very creamy, diffused and can handle a harsher background better than the Canon.

BlueTsunami said:
Yep, the lens allows Full Time Manual Focusing. And on the Bokeh, the lens has been likened to a Leica in regards to the rendition of the bokeh. Very creamy, diffused and can handle a harsher background better than the Canon.

Sold then. Time to sell some stuff (450D + Kit, 17-85 USM, 50mm 1.8...)

equap

Banned
UnluckyKate said:
Quick question:

Canon or Sigma 50mm 1.4 ?
i have the sigma, i like it but Sigma is known for the front or back focus problem. mine has the front focus problem, annoying.

but if you have a new camera where you can adjust the micro focus for each lens and a LensAlign, you can make it perfect.

i'm waiting for the 5D Mark III...

Joe

Just called my local camera shop and they want $79.99 and 2 weeks to clean my D60 body. Is it me or that seem really expensive and a really long time?

I'm too scared to do it myself...is it possible?

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Antimatter said:
Are you looking for something oriented for a specific type of photography or just any good photography book?

Pretty much any good photography really.

bionic77

Stupid question. I have a 55-200mm lens for my camera that comes with a lens hood. I never really used it thus far, is it really worth using and in what situations?

bionic77 said:
Stupid question. I have a 55-200mm lens for my camera that comes with a lens hood. I never really used it thus far, is it really worth using and in what situations?

Depends on the lens, but probably if you think you'll be shooting into a lot of sunlight. Or if you think something might make contact with the lens.

More Olympus leaks and pics at Engadget.

Loving the EPL-2 in black:
olympus-ces-bodybest17mm-rm-eng.jpg

Looks somewhat similar to the EP-2.

East Lake

Ether_Snake said:
Pretty much any good photography really.
I'm a landscape/wildlife guy so I have a bunch of those books, my favorite photographer is Nick Brandt. He does medium format wildlife photography in B&W and occasionally infrared, his books are stunning.

kean29.png

On This Earth

A Shadow Falls

Another great wildlife one is The Last Place on Earth from National Geographic, but it's really expensive.

Also have The Sea by Philip Plisson. Which has tons of beautiful shots of the open ocean and coasts and other sea related things. Lots of great aerial stuff, also doesn't suffer from generic landscape photography. Sample pic

Have a few McCurry books, South Southeast is a good one.

I also have an Edward S. Curtis book (native american portraits) and one from Walker Evans but I'm not sure which, will have to dig those up. YMMV on those though, Edward S. Curtis has really old, sometimes damaged sepia heavy photographs, probably from archival? Walker Evans does "street photography" but he can be a bit clinical. If you find a book you like check out who publishes it and find their selection. McCurry has some Phaidon stuff, Magnum also has a large archive of pro photographers that's can be searched through by name or image tags.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Antimatter said:
I'm a landscape/wildlife guy so I have a bunch of those books, my favorite photographer is Nick Brandt. He does medium format wildlife photography in B&W and occasionally infrared, his books are stunning.

kean29.png

On This Earth

A Shadow Falls

Another great wildlife one is The Last Place on Earth from National Geographic, but it's really expensive.

Also have The Sea by Philip Plisson. Which has tons of beautiful shots of the open ocean and coasts and other sea related things. Lots of great aerial stuff, also doesn't suffer from generic landscape photography. Sample pic

Have a few McCurry books, South Southeast is a good one.

I also have an Edward S. Curtis book (native american portraits) and one from Walker Evans but I'm not sure which, will have to dig those up. YMMV on those though, Edward S. Curtis has really old, sometimes damaged sepia heavy photographs, probably from archival? Walker Evans does "street photography" but he can be a bit clinical. If you find a book you like check out who publishes it and find their selection. McCurry has some Phaidon stuff, Magnum also has a large archive of pro photographers that's can be searched through by name or image tags.

Cool, I added The Sea. I'd like the National Geographic one but it's too expensive.

mrkgoo

I'm in the Market for a wide aperture short tele, ever since I had some lenses stolen by TSA. I went to the camera store today and tried out:

85mm f/1.2
50mm f/1.2
50mm f/1.4
Zeiss 50mm f/1.4

The zeiss is well built, but it's pretty hard to focus even with confirmation on the default screen.

MY GOD the 85mm is sexy. I want even more now.

50mm f/1.2 is nice, but had issues nailing focus.

I thought the 50mm f/1.4 was very very good. Some bokeh was abut scratchy, but it was nice.

East Lake

Ether_Snake said:
Cool, I added The Sea. I'd like the National Geographic one but it's too expensive.
There are some standard landscapes in The Sea occasionally but they're good ones, and it has a ton of pics for the price. The best stuff is when he's probably using some monster lens from an airplane to get these shots with loads of detail, think you'll like it, at least a good deal of it.

The Nat Geo one is worth the money though, so don't hesitate if you ever have the cash laying around!

captive

mrkgoo said:
I'm in the Market for a wide aperture short tele, ever since I had some lenses stolen by TSA. I went to the camera store today and tried out:
aww dude, seriously? That fucking sucks. When im traveling my carry on is always my camera bag, i dont care how heavy it is there's not a snowballs chance in hell im checking my camera gear.

BlueTsunami

mrkgoo said:
The zeiss is well built, but it's pretty hard to focus even with confirmation on the default screen.

Definitely need to get a precision screen with these manual focus lenses. I've read people using focus confirmation only but I personally need to see the correct focus in the viewfinder.

mrkgoo

captive said:
aww dude, seriously? That fucking sucks. When im traveling my carry on is always my camera bag, i dont care how heavy it is there's not a snowballs chance in hell im checking my camera gear.

I was moving country from US to NZ, and there was no way I could carry all my gear on me, as well as my computer/iPad etc.

I made the call and took both my bodies, and my three favourite lenses on me. I left 4 in luggage, and two of those got taken by TSA. I lost my EFS 60mm Macro f/2.8, and my EF 85mm f/1.8. I couldn't afford to replace them when I got back as the prices of lenses had gone way up since I bought them.

It was rude, because I had a TSA approved lock, but they decided to rip it open anyway, busting the lock AND the suitcase (which was brand new, as my GF had purchased it in US as a gift).

BlueTsunami said:
Definitely need to get a precision screen with these manual focus lenses. I've read people using focus confirmation only but I personally need to see the correct focus in the viewfinder.

Yeah, I've heard. Even with the focus confirmation, there's a lot of play and would consistently front focus. Funny, I could probably work it out if I had one, but because it didn't demo well in the store, the chances of me every going with one are slim. And it wasn't very sharp.

YagizY

I need some opinions.

1) I like taking photographs but currently I have a crappy point and click digital camera (gets the job done when just messing around but not exactly a photographers camera.

2) I really want to get into taking photography and composition and how to frame shots. Is their a good resource that sorts all this jargon out for me? Every time I read photography their seems like their are so many technical terms. Is their something that takes you through what you need to know but in baby steps?

3) I want a DSLR. However, not only am I on a pretty slim budget, I don't want to spend a ton just to realize that I don't enjoy it later. I was looking for a good DSLR for around $500-$550. Also I would preferably buy this new and from Amazon. I'm leaning towards a Rebel XS. What is the difference between that and the more expensive Rebel T2i? What about the Nikon D3000, it's in the same ballpark as the XS, is it better?

4) Are the stock lenses good for starting out on DSLR's? I'm a photography newbie and I was wondering if the lenses that come stock with DSLR's are decent for beginners.

[EDIT] 5) How is the Rebel XS as low light stuff? Low light pictures are impossible on my point and click.

Thanks for the help gentlemen.

vitaminwateryum

corporate swill
YagizY said:
I need some opinions.

4) Are the stock lenses good for starting out on DSLR's? I'm a photography newbie and I was wondering if the lenses that come stock with DSLR's are decent for beginners.

Can't answer most of your questions as I haven't read too many books on photography and the only DSLR I've owned so far is the D5000. However, most kit lenses will be more than enough until you're sure you enjoy photography and want to pursue it more.

BlueTsunami

YagizY said:
I need some opinions.

1) I like taking photographs but currently I have a crappy point and click digital camera (gets the job done when just messing around but not exactly a photographers camera.

Point and Shoots can actually be quite fantastic for Landscape photography but yeah, some are dogs in general and they definitely don't do high ISO (low light) very well.

YagizY said:
2) I really want to get into taking photography and composition and how to frame shots. Is their a good resource that sorts all this jargon out for me? Every time I read photography their seems like their are so many technical terms. Is their something that takes you through what you need to know but in baby steps?

Going out and shooting is definitely a sure fire way to get better in regards to composition. This sounds obvious but experimenting with subject placement and whatnot need to be done out in the field just as much or more so than reading about it. But with that said, this book gave me a nice jump start...

The Photographer's Eye: Composition and Design for Better Digital Photos

This is also a highly recommended book...

Understanding Exposure, 3rd Edition: How to Shoot Great Photographs with Any Camera

...and I should get it myself

YagizY said:
3) I want a DSLR. However, not only am I on a pretty slim budget, I don't want to spend a ton just to realize that I don't enjoy it later. I was looking for a good DSLR for around $500-$550. Also I would preferably buy this new and from Amazon. I'm leaning towards a Rebel XS. What is the difference between that and the more expensive Rebel T2i? What about the Nikon D3000, it's in the same ballpark as the XS, is it better?

Any DSLR made within the past five years will give you fantastic IQ and won't be long in the tooth in areas like start up time and FPS. So something like the Rebel XS would be good enough (a bargain even), so would the similar Nikon and Pentax bodies. Just totally up to you and which body you prefer. I can't really tell you the difference between the competing cameras though since I'm purely a Canon shooter.

YagizY said:

Yes! Its certainly a large jump from Point and Shoots anyways. The conjunction of larger sensor and decent lens will be very apparent as far as the quality of the photos. And also worrying about the quality of the lens starting out is starting off on the wrong foot, in my opinion. Get that kit lens and ruminate about composition and quality of light before worrying over lens quality. Also its a good chance to see where you'll go as far as lens selection (Fast Primes? Or Versatile Zooms?).

YagizY said:
5) How is the Rebel XS as low light stuff? Low light pictures are impossible on my point and click.

The Rebel XS should be good and compared to a Point and Shoot? Its gonna be a huge jump in quality. Here's my Rebel XT (a generation behind the XS) at ISO800...

5313094420_21de99c826_b.jpg

...I was using a fast lens though and resizing a photo to a smaller size will help with perceivable noise. But take it from me, the noise up to ISO800 and 1600 are manageable and the photos should be usable (and made to look very good with some careful processing).

hEist

mrkgoo said:

85mm f/1.2
50mm f/1.2
50mm f/1.4
Zeiss 50mm f/1.4

MY GOD the 85mm is sexy. I want even more now.

50mm f/1.2 is nice, but had issues nailing focus.

I thought the 50mm f/1.4 was very very good. Some bokeh was abut scratchy, but it was nice.

Ahhhh i want the zeiss so bad, the Problem for me would be the manually focusing, specially if you need to take fast pictures. And theres also the problem with the expansive price.

The 85mm is pure magic in my opionen, the 1.8 was already fast and had a wonderful bokeh, but the 1.2 is just impressive. Mrkgoo, you also tried the Sigma 85mm 1.4? It's not that fast like the 1.2 but also beautiful, but really pricy, specially if you put 200 bucks more, then you can get the 85mm 1.2. Don't understand Sigma in this case...

BlueTsunami

hEist said:
Ahhhh i want the zeiss so bad, the Problem for me would be the manually focusing, specially if you need to take fast pictures. And theres also the problem with the expansive price.

You should check out the Zeiss Contax/Yashica era lenses, Heist. The Zeiss 50/1.4 thats out currently is essentially the same lens from the 80's but in a new body and mount thats made for Nikon/Canon/Pentax (also a modern lens coating and 9 aperture blades). The Zeiss C/Y 50/1.4 goes for around $250-$300 (with the adapter would be an extra $30). A bargain over the newer lens which goes for around $700. I personally shoot with the 50/1.7 version which goes for around $150-$200 (wish I had the money for the 50/1.4 version at the time).

But that aside, Manual focusing is definitely an acquired taste (to do it constantly).

hEist

BlueTsunami said:
You should check out the Zeiss Contax/Yashica era lenses, Heist. The Zeiss 50/1.4 thats out currently is essentially the same lens from the 80's but in a new body and mount thats made for Nikon/Canon/Pentax (also a modern lens coating and 9 aperture blades). The Zeiss C/Y 50/1.4 goes for around $250-$300 (with the adapter would be an extra $30). A bargain over the newer lens which goes for around $700. I personally shoot with the 50/1.7 version which goes for around $150-$200 (wish I had the money for the 50/1.4 version at the time).

But that aside, Manual focusing is definitely an acquired taste (to do it constantly).

Yeah, After is saw your photos with the zeiss, i thought i should also pick one, but i've got nö freaking money for this in moment, cause i'm saving for a MacBook.
Manually focusing is sometimes a bitch. There are always situations where i need to focus manually with my Canon, specially if i Photograph against sunlight or something like that. But then i came home, look at some and start swearing. Maybe in the future i will give a try with the zeiss.

captive

mrkgoo said:
I was moving country from US to NZ, and there was no way I could carry all my gear on me, as well as my computer/iPad etc.

I made the call and took both my bodies, and my three favourite lenses on me. I left 4 in luggage, and two of those got taken by TSA. I lost my EFS 60mm Macro f/2.8, and my EF 85mm f/1.8. I couldn't afford to replace them when I got back as the prices of lenses had gone way up since I bought them.

It was rude, because I had a TSA approved lock, but they decided to rip it open anyway, busting the lock AND the suitcase (which was brand new, as my GF had purchased it in US as a gift).
That sucks man, im sorry to hear that.

Always-honest said:
yess... i have my 7D.
Wow at all the functions/ options. :)

NIIICE.

I own a 7D for 3 weeks now. I had trouble going with it to begin with. Then I really got deep into it and I got wonderfull shots even not trying. Such a beast that can handle things for you when you are busy focusing on others. (framing, focusing, following action, etc...)

mrkgoo said:
Congrats :) Hope you love it as much as I do mine.
i have been reading the manual and tying some shots with the canon 100MM macro. Goddamn what a nice camera. A big upgrade from my 20D in every way. No issues yet.
I love all the options and custom settings.

mrkgoo

BlueTsunami said:
You guys make me want to upgrade from my Rebel so badly. Gahhhhhh.
Let me remind you:

7D @ iso 6400:

Always-honest said:
i have been reading the manual and tying some shots with the canon 100MM macro. Goddamn what a nice camera. A big upgrade from my 20D in every way. No issues yet.
I love all the options and custom settings.

I went from a 40D. I loved so much about the 7D. The AF mechanism is awesome, and I have found that I do switch between the AF modes. Have also bought a flash and learning to use it, so the built-in wireless sync with my flash is pretty nifty.

And the LCD screen is magnificent. About the only feature I don't really appreciate fully is the video :lol

captive

my coworker and I each got in cameras from B&H today. I got the E5. He got the 60D with battery grip and 17-40L, his first L lens. He is disappointed he didnt know the battery grip didn't come with any batteries.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom