• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Daily Show Thread with Jon Stewart

I have totally changed my opinion of Arnold Scharwezenegger, what a great interview. All Daily Show interviews make mythic figures into humans. All his governor experience paid dividends, not having ties to any party, knowing how stuff is run, and showing how progressive California is with EPA and stem cell research.

Schwarzenegger came off horribly and I watched the version on the web. He is a huge narcissist. I don't know if it's anything he said in particular but his whole attitude and his cynical attempt to revive his image with his book and promotional tour just stank of a Romney-esque ploy to say whatever to get people to like him again.

gabbo

I have totally changed my opinion of Arnold Scharwezenegger, what a great interview. All Daily Show interviews make mythic figures into humans. All his governor experience paid dividends, not having ties to any party, knowing how stuff is run, and showing how progressive California is with EPA and stem cell research.

He didn't come off that well. He spun his wheels in his attempt at explaining how to make the economy more competitive, and why it was better to go that route than uses taxes to fight the deficit.

Raxus

It's always nice when Colbert drops his persona a bit to actually challenge his guests.

It's even better when he is forced to drop the character because the guest is so crazy. I actually enjoy Colbert's interviews more than Stewart's self indulgent interviews (no I won't go to the fucking web) now that he has worked out the kinks. Colbert's work in the science community is second to none, if only he didn't have to dumb them down so much.

Keasar

It's even better when he is forced to drop the character because the guest is so crazy. I actually enjoy Colbert's interviews more than Stewart's self indulgent interviews (no I won't go to the fucking web) now that he has worked out the kinks. Colbert's work in the science community is second to none, if only he didn't have to dumb them down so much.

Wait, how are Stewart's interviews self indulgent? When watching them I feel they are often the least self-indulgent of them all.

Mairu

I'm not sure if you're trying to say it's a bad thing that they have extended interviews online with some of their guests or not. While I have not watched very many of them, it's cool that when there's an interesting conversation they continue it past their short time limit during the show.

If that's not what you were trying to say about "no I won't go to the fucking web" then I'm not sure what you mean.

Jintor

So this fucker is seriously arguing separation of church and state when it's convenient but no separation when not convenient

I mean

I just

you don't see how your own brain is malfunctioning here

I mean "Government can't interfere with us through taxation" but "We can interfere wholesale with the process of government using our social/religious power"

How can you possibly hold both these ideals in your head at once and remain logically consistant

So this fucker is seriously arguing separation of church and state when it's convenient but no separation when not convenient

I mean

I just

I mean "Government can't interfere with us through taxation" but "We can interfere wholesale with the process of government using our social/religious power"

How can you possibly hold both these ideals in your head at once and remain logically consistant

Who are you alluding to?

I mean

I just

It's been that way forever. "How dare you try and deny our freedoms!!!! Now let's try and make the current downtrodden minority of the day a second class citizen"

Daeda

I mean

I just

Havent seen the bit yet, but the argument is pretty simple, and seems to be carried by many Americans:

The separation of Church and State in the US means that the State has no say in religious believes of individuals. So it can't stop them from doing something because they're religous.

At the same time, democratic power means that religion is allowed as an argument to pass something through state. So abortion being illegal because people think religiously its wrong is allowed.

In the US, people seem to believe the separation is a one way street. So it gives churches immunity from influence while they're still allowed to influence others.

Of course, the argument is a bit strange, since if I start a religion that allows gay marriage, the state can't forbid me, but at the same time it doesn't allow me.

Obviously, the best way to solve this is a two way separation, but even more sophisticated countries like most in Europe over here have some form of religious influence on state level. Sadly.

Raxus

Wait, how are Stewart's interviews self indulgent? When watching them I feel they are often the least self-indulgent of them all.

I am being salty is all. Often the daily show shifts it's guests to the web. Some deserve it but other times it just seems like a waste of time. I can't put my finger on why sometime I love to sit down and watch the daily show's interviews and other times I just tune the show out until Colbert is on.

WillyFive

I am being salty is all. Often the daily show shifts it's guests to the web. Some deserve it but other times it just seems like a waste of time. I can't put my finger on why sometime I love to sit down and watch the daily show's interviews and other times I just tune the show out until Colbert is on.

I tend to skip the interviews (mostly because I'm not interested in them), but I think it's good that they take their time with them instead of cutting it short for TV length.

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
He compared the Olympics to the Nuremburg Rallies and the Nazi's conquest of Europe, during the summer.

I couldn't tell if Colbert was joking or not but apparently he would not come on the show unless they committed to a meat free environment..

I couldn't tell if Colbert was joking or not but apparently he would not come on the show unless they committed to a meat free environment..

I'm pretty certain that was true. It's probably apocryphal, but I heard there was a time when he wouldn't speak to someone if he found out they weren't a vegetarian. And yes, Morrisey is indeed a self righteous prick.

Rlan

At this point the Daily Show / Colbert Report should have a 1.5 hour slot, with each show lasting 45 minutes each.

The amount of "More on the web" stuff Jon has done lately is super crazy, and incredibly annoying for a guy like me who's in Australia where it's "Sorry, this video is unavailable in your location".

At this point the Daily Show / Colbert Report should have a 1.5 hour slot, with each show lasting 45 minutes each.

The amount of "More on the web" stuff Jon has done lately is super crazy, and incredibly annoying for a guy like me who's in Australia where it's "Sorry, this video is unavailable in your location".

I feel Comedy Central should add a third news show. Stewart is CNN, Colbert FOX, so they should do a third one that is one of the finance channels, or maybe a farce liberal.

Jintor

Psst

WillyFive

I feel Comedy Central should add a third news show. Stewart is CNN, Colbert FOX, so they should do a third one that is one of the finance channels, or maybe a farce liberal.

Well, Daily Show is a parody of the news channels, Colbert is a parody of the news pundits. A third show would have to do something different than those two.

I've heard quite a few people criticizing the interview sections as it is, so they may not want to broadcast the full interviews on TV for ratings reasons.

I completely understand your frustration though -- nothing worse than missing out on a bunch of material for an arbitrary reason like region licensing nonsense.

Dr Prob

Banned
Guess here would be a place to put this. Picked up Earth (The Book) back when it was released, but didn't really get around to reading it until now. It's awesome. Larry King is half of the human anatomy model, hunched over like a hobgoblin with a suspender on.

Few years late. Funny book though.

The President was good. Haven't watched the extended interview yet (maybe in 2014) so maybe there was an edit or something, but the only part that seemed off was after the break when Stewart seemed geared up to do a speedy "then and now" type interview game and Obama just either didn't get where it was going or didn't care and went off on his own thing. Killed the bit with his presidential stuff.

Presidents.

I love how much Jon seems to care about vets. Touching episode tonight.

Agreed. I think that can also extend to how angry he got when doing the coverage of the 9/11 first responders who got fucked over on their healthcare when they began to develop cancer and other problems that had been linked to their work in the rubble of the twin towers. Passionate Stewart is some of the best Stewart.

Top Bottom