• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Final Fantasy XIII TRIAL VERSION Thread

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Amir0x said:
"Very standard FF-like action" has become, sadly for Final Fantasy, Advent Children esque.

Unfortunately for you, as we see from the juggling flying gravity defying bullshit during cutscenes and occasionally in battle, it makes your failure of a joke even more of an epic failure.

Standard juggling systems equals cutting buildings, flying, drawn out motorcycles battles and jumping hundreds of feet in a single bound? No I think Zilch has it right.

Die Squirrel Die said:
I was hoping for smoother transitions into battle. It's not that the loading times aren't quick, but with the camera cutaway and then the characters all popping into place, it feels less seamless.

Because that's important.

Amir0x

Banned
HK-47 said:
Standard juggling systems equals cutting buildings, flying, drawn out motorcycles battles and jumping hundreds of feet in a single bound? No I think Zilch has it right.

Like any modern FF, I am sure they are saving the most ridiculous and over-the-top moments for the cutscenes themselves. Would be a little hard working in building cutting and motorcycle battles in every single battle, I imagine. We had enough gravity defying hopping around and air slicing and juggle-juggle circus acts for one demo, I imagine.

It's the level corridor design that is really the bigger issue right now. TTP jokes, but this is exactly how Zanarkland was and FFX really WAS entirely like that for the entire game.

Zilch

Banned
HK-47 said:

It's not worth it. Now he's just taking the piss.

But I will agree with him on the level design. Reminds me of FFX in a bad way. FFXII has so great because the areas were huge, wide open (in some places) and really fun to explore. I hope FFXIII doesn't do away with all that.

Amir0x said:
Yeah, I'm about to head out, but the most significant complaint I have is that the level design in the demo is lazy crap, with really neat backgrounds. My biggest fear was that from the past two Final Fantasy titles, which have had expansive worlds which really began to recapture the feeling of exploration lacking from modern FF titles, we would return to FFX-like level design. A very long, generally connected corridor with extremely view divergent paths. The backgrounds were always pretty, but the actually going through the dungeons was kinda [SUPER FUCKING] boring.

Since I only have this demo to judge by it's "too early to tell" how significant it will be throughout the game, but this level is so much like Zanarkland part of FFX that it's hard not to be a little worried about it.

+ Enemies on the screen
+ Visuals
+ Music
+/- Battle System

- Long Corridor Level Design ZZZZ
- Advent Children inspired action

Totally agree about the level design. I couldnt enjoy FFX as much as other FF games cause of the linear level design, this game better not go that route.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
xs_mini_neo said:
well... yeah, to some it really is.

I personally have no problems with the current system, but I don't think that seamless battle transitions is an unreasonable ask in today's day and age.

jeremy1456 said:
I'm impressed with the FFXIII footage I saw.

For some reason the rocket launchers and cars in the FFVersus video kinda bother me.
I'm sure that's the reason. I find the missles and guns in 13 a lot more disconcerting, yes it was known from day 1 that it would have a more tech oriented focus but from what I just saw. The game would have been amazing if it stuck to medieval roots ala FF9 without all the guns and jazz.

Vs 13 isn't as bad because there's modern buildings, cars and such everywhere. It's not as "out of place".

Amir0x

Banned
MiamiWesker said:
Totally agree about the level design. I couldnt enjoy FFX as much as other FF games cause of the linear level design, this game better not go that route.

TTP jokes (and sheep follow), but as I said, Zanarkland in FFX was exactly like this demo was and Final Fantasy X really DID end up as a series of really long boring corridors.

Amir0x

Banned
charsace said:
There seems to be no magic. I'm guessing summons will actually be advanced hardware or software?

What was that fire explosion thing Lightning and Shaz kept doing? I saw it a few times... just a regular non-magic ability?

But anyway, of course there is magic in the game...

Dragon

Banned
Amir0x said:
TTP jokes (and sheep follow), but as I said, Zanarkland in FFX was exactly like this demo was and Final Fantasy X really DID end up as a series of really long boring corridors.

While there was some of that, there were plenty of beautiful places to explore in FFX. And Zanarkand is one of those. Sure it's not as open as some people liked, but I felt bored in XII. I guess I'm just more of a linear person. (Although not linear enough to play .hack :))

BlazingDarkness said:
that was AMAZING
Team Nora got killed?

And Versus ingame is jaw dropping

Versus ingame? you mean FF13 ingame...theres no Versus ingame footage. Please say Im right....please say Im right because if im not I MISSED THE DAMN PART!!!!

Reilly

Zilch said:
It's not worth it. Now he's just taking the piss.

But I will agree with him on the level design. Reminds me of FFX in a bad way. FFXII has so great because the areas were huge, wide open (in some places) and really fun to explore. I hope FFXIII doesn't do away with all that.

Disagree completely. FFXII's level design was complete shit.

Rpgmonkey

That was a nice hour spent.

Don't think I'd buy this demo, but I'll be importing the full game.

charsace said:
There seems to be no magic. I'm guessing summons will actually be advanced hardware or software?

They used magic. Only Cure, Fire, Firaga, Blizzard, and Blizzaga were in the demo.

Summons are a mix of technical stuff and the usual magical folklore stuff. They weren't in the demo though.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Sato Koiji said:
Versus ingame? you mean FF13 ingame...theres no Versus ingame footage. Please say Im right....please say Im right because if im not I MISSED THE DAMN PART!!!!

In-game character models.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Amir0x said:
Like any modern FF, I am sure they are saving the most ridiculous and over-the-top moments for the cutscenes themselves. Would be a little hard working in building cutting and motorcycle battles in every single battle, I imagine. We had enough gravity defying hopping around and air slicing and juggle-juggle circus acts for one demo, I imagine.

It's the level corridor design that is really the bigger issue right now. TTP jokes, but this is exactly how Zanarkland was and FFX really WAS entirely like that for the entire game.

They are standard for fucking JRPGs. Get a grip. You're grasping. Same with your level complaints. True they could be corridoresque like X, or it could be a fucking demo level of a part of the game that is meant to be corridoresque. Its was an action segment. On a suspended road. Unless you think the whole game takes place on them, stop complaining until there is a bigger slice of the game to judge by.

charsace

Amir0x said:
What was that fire explosion thing Lightning and Shaz kept doing? I saw it a few times... just a regular non-magic ability?

But anyway, of course there is magic in the game...
I thought it was some type of grenade. Even Lightning's electric boost mode seems to be triggered by something mechanical.

Cyborg enemies lead me to believe the summons will be cyborgs.

Boulayman

Kagari said:
<_< Versus in game models look fricken amazing, goddamn.

I can't believe I was 2 mins too late to the stream and missed the Versus footage... I want to cry ...

2f15404adc71.jpg

Amir0x said:

pretty much every level in most RPG's look the same... the ones I've played anyway. even FFXII, which had arguably the largest and coolest locales, had viciously repetitive area design. each different place varied enough from the last but once you see the first section you've basically seen the following 39.

Rpgmonkey

charsace said:
I thought it was some type of grenade. Even Lightning's electric boost mode seems to be triggered by something mechanical.

They used magic. Only Cure, Fire, Firaga, Blizzard, and Blizzaga were in the demo.

Summons are a mix of technical stuff (like Shivabike) and the usual magical folklore stuff (like Ifrit). They weren't in the demo though.

Ikael

I will not get hyped, I will not get hyped, remember previous ff, remember tha...awwfuck it. This game looks awesome and makes my ffVII-gland tingle.

The good:
-Freaking awesome music, period. It does give the game a fresh vibe.
- Great graphics all around. It is amazing how much this generation has envolved.
- Battle system looks utterly awesome. ffX-2 with a dash of Valkyrie profile? I will get 4 of those.
- As much as I hated the character's design on a beggining, they do work with the setting, specially Lightining's.

The bad:
- Some of the animations. Such a high budget title, yet some of the animations looked way too artificial.
- Ultra mega linear. But that's how final fantasies tends to start.

Wow... this looks very "next-gen." Very nice visually.

Except the eternal Achilles' flaw of JRPGs... running animations. Those still look unrealistic/bad.

Kyoufu

If Firaga and Blizzaga look as great as they do, just imagine the orgasms that Ultima, Holy and the summons will induce.

Versus XIII trailer was amazing, until it got to the scene with Stella. Looks like they haven't done VA work yet.

charsace said:

Lightning has Fire and the explosion you saw was Firaga. Snow has Blizzard and Blizzaga.

Amir0x

Banned
HK-47 said:
True they could be corridoresque like X, or it could be a fucking demo level of a part of the game that is meant to be corridoresque. Its was an action segment. On a suspended road. Unless you think the whole game takes place on them, stop complaining until there is a bigger slice of the game to judge by.

I really don't feel like having this same argument with the same hypocrites over and over again, but it's simple.

I am judging the game by what I see, the same as those who are effusive in their praise. I will not tell you to NOT praise it simply because you seen only a small segmented chunk. Likewise, you will not tell me to stop being negative simply because I saw only a small chunk.

I made it clear that this is just a demo and it's too early to say how it'll be throughout the game. However, it IS more than enough to be worried about the direction the game is going since the demo was remarkably similar to the Zanarkland segment of FFX, a game IN THE SAME FRANCHISE which really was all corridors.

Are we done with the whining about complainers?

Sato Koiji said:

They're talking about this

final-fantasy-versus-xiii-20080826034415700.jpg

final-fantasy-versus-xiii-20080826034420418.jpg

final-fantasy-versus-xiii-20080826034423278.jpg

The trailer is a long version of that whole scene along with compilation of the CG footage they've shown so far at the beginning.

Zilch

Banned
xs_mini_neo said:

It's important to me too.

I think the transitions in and out of battle are pretty unnecessary (seriously, why'd they put them in there?), but I'm not unhappy with the overall presentation. Definitely reminds me of CT.

charsace

Rpgmonkey said:

Summons are a mix of technical stuff (like Shivabike) and the usual magical folklore stuff (like Ifrit). They weren't in the demo though.
I'm gonna call it right now and say magic use is the result of implants that draw it out.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
brandonh83 said:
pretty much every level in most RPG's look the same... the ones I've played anyway. even FFXII, which had arguably the largest and coolest locales, had viciously repetitive area design. each different place varied enough from the last but once you see the first section you've basically seen the following 39.

Oh come on. Its looked different in natural way. I dont expect a magical castle with lava and steam machinery in the middle of a plain

seat

The game looks fantastic and I can see why people are excited, but charging 60 bucks for a demo is the most outrageous tactic I've ever seen in the world of video games. It's inexcusable. I don't see how someone purchasing this couldn't feel at least a little bit of shame for letting Square take advantage of him like this.

Top Bottom