• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Final Fantasy XIII TRIAL VERSION Thread

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Amir0x said:
Repeating myself, what a crime! :p

Anyway, it is only a worry. A fear of what FFXIII could become, judging from a little demo. It is not me saying "I KNOW THE WHOLE GAME WILL BE CORRIDORS." It is me saying "that demo was one huge corridor, extremely reminiscent of FFX, I am worried the whole game would be like that. Let's hope not!"

Just to be clear, I get that. I was just joking.

Besides, I'm not too concerned. FF games are all about story and combat. Exploration has never been a huge part of the formula. BTW, can you move the character around during combat? Looked like that to me. Seems also like you deal more damage when hitting enemies on the back? Am I just seeing things?

Considering those "jump points" tho, I assume there will be more flexibility in level design compared to previous games. It wouldn't make sense to add those context sensitive actions just for show, would it?

jett

D-Member
Anyone else noticed the the crazy animation on the clothes in the Vs trailer? It was very similiar to the FF7 tech demo. That one hater am cry.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Relaxed Muscle said:
It just one section in the game, a a very story focused one, there's a lot of scripted events going on, so obviously isnot the best place to give the player 45 different paths and gigantic areas to explore.

We maybe should wait a bit more, before bashing the linearity of FF XIII.

I realize and recognize that. I'm sitting on the fence with my binoculars just watching the events up to release play out. Personally I dont think a lot can be taken away from this demo. Much less then the XII demo for sure. I loved the direction DQ VIII and FF XII took, so I'm hoping for more of that with some X-2 inspired battles and scenery.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
I still prefer FFXII's battle system over this one, I thought it was revolutionary. The constant battle screen halting load thingy is annoying, old.

All I remember was that Toriyama recently said maps would be "very large and complex", so I'd guess the corridor stuff is just for this part of the game, which is only a very small portion of the introduction.

Also, I want to see the Versus trailer again :(

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
jett said:
Anyone else noticed the the crazy animation on the clothes in the Vs trailer? It was very similiar to the FF7 tech demo. That one hater am cry.

I need to see it in HD :O

jeremy1456

TTP said:
Just to be clear, I get that. I was just joking.

Besides, I'm not too concerned. FF games are all about story and combat. Exploration has never been a huge part of the formula. BTW, can you move the character around during combat? Looked like that to me.

Considering those "jump points" tho, I assume there will be more flexibility in level design compared to previous games. It wouldn't make sense to add those context sensitive actions just for show, would it?

Exploration has been a big part of the series up until X.

Kyoufu

Ether_Snake said:
I still prefer FFXII's battle system over this one, I thought it was revolutionary. The constant battle screen halting load thingy is annoying, old.

Yeah but is it going to be as fun? I think I will have more fun grinding in FFXIII because of the onscreen action, involvement and the glorious music.

And this is coming from someone who put like 200 hours into FFXII.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
H_Prestige said:
All I remember was that Toriyama recently said maps would be "very large and complex", so I'd guess the corridor stuff is just for this part of the game, which is only a very small portion of the introduction.

Also, I want to see the Versus trailer again :(

That what I think though I'm sure other areas will necessitate corridor style action.

I must be alone in loving the transition from map to battle screen. It gives a battle a more "staged" feel which I actually like, to me it kinda makes it more epic, especially for boss fights when they obviously make boss arenas look different than normal enemy backdrops.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Kyoufu said:
Personally, I think it looks amazing and its foolish to think the entire game is one long corridor from a demo. A fucking demo.

Yeah, this is an unfinished game obviously, and a small chunk from an early part of it at that. I'll try to keep an open mind about it as we move forward.

Really, though, despite my general falling out with Japanese RPGs, buying The Next Final Fantasy Game is going to be a tough tradition to break (if it comes to that), and I'm assuming a lot of folks are in the same boat.

Just hope the localization sets new standards (or original language is on disc) if I do end up picking the game up. Dear fucking cthulhu I can't handle the english voice acting in voiced JRPGs, except for FFXII.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
jeremy1456 said:
Exploration has been a big part of the series up until X.

I didn't finish a FF post VII, and all I remember is crossing corridors basically. Is that big?

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Kyoufu said:
Yeah but is it going to be as fun? I think I will have more fun grinding in FFXIII because of the onscreen action, involvement and the glorious music.

And this is coming from someone who put like 200 hours into FFXII.

But that could have been done with the FFXII battle system. It's really backward to constantly go from free roaming to HALT, 1997-style screen deformation! Fight music starts! Fight! Won! Stats screen! And now back to free roaming.

It's just like, ... why? They could have merged the FFXII system to this one, even without the gambits and all that, at least don't constantly stop, deform the screen, start the battle music, etc. It gets really repetitive and annoying. Makes it feel more like a chore. I liked the seamless battles of FFXII, they should have kept at least that.

Amir0x

Banned
EviLore said:
Yeah, this is an unfinished game obviously, and a small chunk from an early part of it at that. I'll try to keep an open mind about it as we move forward.

Really, though, despite my general falling out with Japanese RPGs, buying The Next Final Fantasy Game is going to be a tough tradition to break (if it comes to that), and I'm assuming a lot of folks are in the same boat.

Just hope the localization sets new standards (or original language is on disc) if I do end up picking the game up. Dear fucking cthulhu I can't handle the english voice acting in voiced JRPGs, except for FFXII.

Yeah. Although the sound recording quality of FFXII was reaaally poor at times.

jeremy1456

TTP said:
I didn't finish a FF post VII, and all I remember is crossing corridors basically. Is that big?

You don't remember a huge world map with secret areas, treasure caves, etc? Not at all?

charsace

EviLore said:

This game needs to have a good script voice acting. wish square would work with a company like bioware when localizing this game.

Rpgmonkey

I was waiting for this discussion to come after the stream ended. How fun. :D

I don't mind weapons being taken out then loading a fight area, but I hate that flash thing. It gets quite repetitive after a while.

And this ties in with the corridor thing sorta, but I hope we can actually avoid stuff more easily in cases like this. They run fast as hell and enemy groups are so large and spread out you can barely get around them.

Oh, and some of the characters are annoying already.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
jeremy1456 said:
You don't remember a huge world map with secret areas, treasure caves, etc? Not at all?

Sure. I'm saying we are not talking Oblivion here. FF has never pointed in that direction as far as exploration goes. FFXI aside of course.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
MvmntInGrn said:
We haven't seen the last of FFXII battle system I'm sure. I don't mind the series bouncing between battle systems. :D

I don't know. I think it's unjustified to skip it entirely for FFXIII. It really feels backward.

I'll still buy the game of course:)

But just from the stream I'm getting sick of the "loop" feeling already.

TTP said:

Well, it has the overworld, which was quite explorable (especially by the standards of the time). There were a lot of nooks and crannies in that map, and even a few different modes of transportation. Same in FF9 (I'm ignoring 8, because I like to ignore its existence). In FF X, stuff became much more linear. No overworld, and lots of "point A to point B with no branches" corridors.

FF XII reintroduced big areas in its outside-the-dungeon parts, and the dungeons themselves are fairly labyrintine.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Amir0x said:
Yeah. Although the sound recording quality of FFXII was reaaally poor at times.

That was probably just space limitations. We shouldnt have such a problem this time

Zilch

Banned
Ploid 3.0 said:
I don't want to go back to turn based rpgs the same way I don't want to go back to board games.

Pretty unfair to lump this game in with strictly turn based rpgs when it's a lot more than that.

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
jeremy1456 said:

6 and 7 probably do this the best. Some 8 and 9's secrets were a bit too cryptic. I actually liked X's overworld corridor layout but when you finally got the airship and blindly tried out different coordinates hoping to find a secret place, yeah it took the fun out of exploring. XII's exploration was so-so, since you were usually on a hunt and that was guiding you to new or different sections of previously visited areas.

Kyoufu

EviLore said:

Can't say I disagree. This gen has been a failure in terms of quality JRPGs so far but I can tell from this demo that the curse is about to be lifted and we're actually going to get a stellar product for once.

The English VAs shouldn't be too bad if FFXII is any indication. Saying that, I love Lightning's seiyuu and same with the afro dude.

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
090415-104603-1280x720p-000216.jpg

I love this pic, it looks so detailed and its in-game not a cut scene

Does anyone know if the demo will support 1080p?

mr_nothin

Banned
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!
I missed most of it...but what I saw was really good. Battle system looks interesting. Not reading any info bout battle systems or anything...gonna have it all be a big surprise. :D

Barakov

BlazingDarkness said:
anyone catch who that woman was? She was Sera? and relation to Vanille?

Yeah, her name was Sera.
I think it was possibly her mother. One of the girls with the hoods(might of been Vanille) referred to her as kaa-san, which means mother.

Ether_Snake said:
I don't know. I think it's unjustified to skip it entirely for FFXIII. It really feels backward.

I'll still buy the game of course:)

But just from the stream I'm getting sick of the "loop" feeling already.

Its jarring for a series to change back and forth for sure. I understand the backward feeling.

The more I watch the more I get the FFX feeling though, and I love it. :D

ant1532 said:
question. is this demo coming to the US anytime soon? How? PSonline of whatever its called?

Since Japanese got it on a disc, i'm betting yes. But not until later in the year/early 2010. And probably not on PSN.

Top Bottom