• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Final Fantasy XIII TRIAL VERSION Thread

tanod

when is my burrito
Kyoufu said:
Yeah but is it going to be as fun? I think I will have more fun grinding in FFXIII because of the onscreen action, involvement and the glorious music.

And this is coming from someone who put like 200 hours into FFXII.

If you played XII to the same extent you did and it had battle transition loading, you would have "played" it for 300 hours.

FFXII needed just a couple things to have adjusted and it would have been about damn perfect.

Character specific skills and attacks ala FF4 and FF6
Useful summons
Ditch the randomness of treasure chests
Even out the story and gameplay pacing (cut out a Sandsea, the Feywood, and the Tchita Uplands as well as half of the estersands)

Gambits are take it or leave it. They worked great for XII and I think they played a large role in making buffs and debuffs an important part of the depth and variety that status effects added to the gameplay rather than a pointless addition like in past FF titles.

License board is in a similar situation as gambits. It mostly worked in FFXII. Reorganize the license board substantially and take out the bottom half of it at a minimum or junk it.

They need to stay the hell away from the sphere grid system from X. It was just a needlessly tedious micro-managed version of what was effectively a level up. An illusion of choice.

NeoUltima

So release this holiday in Japan.... around June '10 seem reasonable for the rest of the world?

Hopefully they start localization and 360 port asap, if they haven't already. I know they said they weren't going to start 360 version until after the JP release, but I highly doubt that.

I need this game! Maybe I should just start learning Japanese.

Graphics wise, Versus looks great.

Dont like the animations, its as if Japanese developers cant move forward from giving characters permanent expressions... guys are badass or pissed off, girls are either surprised or apprehensive. WTF.

surazal

Kyoufu said:
The English VAs shouldn't be too bad if FFXII is any indication. Saying that, I love Lightning's seiyuu and same with the afro dude.

With BR's capacity, there should be no reason not to have dual audio for all games. I thought FFXII's VA was better than most but it was really annoying when they misprounced "Marquis" during the whole game.

Pachinko

Looks stunning but gameplay wise it also looks pathetically early for something apparently due this year... I'll assume the demo was finished 2 or 3 months ago ? it's still on my "keep an eye on it " list but the games not out in english until atleast september 2010 so it's kind of pointless to get excited about it now.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
iamcool388 said:

Dont like the animations, its as if Japanese developers cant move forward from giving characters permanent expressions... guys are badass or pissed off, girls are either surprised or apprehensive. WTF.

Please like most WRPGs are any better with facial expressions. Bloodlines happened in 2004 and is still hasnt been surpassed in that area.

I wish it were possible to download that Versus trailer somehow. That's probably the most stylish intro to a trailer I've seen.

And wasn't there supposed to be a brand XIII trailer after the demo? It was just the DK sigma version.

Darkpen

Banned
iamcool388 said:

What the fuck are you talking about. They all looked incredibly neutral

Synless

jett said:
What's with the old FFXIII trailer? This is some bullshit.
I was wondering that too, lol. I was thinking about how happy I was for a new FFXIII trailer and then I was like oh wait.......

Synless

I have to say the music is great!!!!!! I happen to love the battle music, I don't know how some of you could hate it.

mujun

ff13 looks like a japanese rpg for sure ;)

that said the world interests me, the gameplay looks good, graphics are nice and i like the look of the characters. will definitely grab it in (hopefully) winter.

Kyoufu

tanod said:
If you played XII to the same extent you did and it had battle transition loading, you would have "played" it for 300 hours.

FFXII needed just a couple things to have adjusted and it would have been about damn perfect.

Character specific skills and attacks ala FF4 and FF6
Useful summons

Ditch the randomness of treasure chests
Even out the story and gameplay pacing (cut out a Sandsea, the Feywood, and the Tchita Uplands as well as half of the estersands).

I'm sure you know this already but FFXII international fixed the bolded issues, but added even more treasure chest randomness insanity :(

Another thing it had was the 4x game speed feature, which made the 200 hours I put in worth 400 in any other RPG, but the combat itself is just a seamless version of any old-school RPG.

I love FFXII, its great and I won't fault the battle system, but if you've played Valkyrie Profile 2 or a 2D Tales of.. game then you'd realise that the battle systems aren't as seamless as FFXII's because the combat itself allows for more style and thought. Not only is it very entertaining to string up wild combos but it is also rewarding. The better your combo, the more damage you'll inflict. Judging by past trailers FFXIII will have decent variation in your attacks and as you can see in the demo, the inclusion of launchers and "Advent Children" -esque style of combat you'll be able to experiment and enjoy your attack options.

Attack options in FFXII consisted of Attack and Magic. It was either one or the other yet with FFXIII both can be merged into each turn.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
mujun said:
ff13 looks like a japanese rpg for sure ;)

that said the world interests me, the gameplay looks good, graphics are nice and i like the look of the characters. will definitely grab it in (hopefully) winter.

What else would it look like?

Yes I'm willing to go this route

Top Bottom