• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Final Fantasy XIII TRIAL VERSION Thread

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
Deadly Monk said:
I hope Lightning gets a deep voice-over in the English version as well, not a typical FF girls voice.

Anna Torv should be Lighting's voice actor for the NA release.

I love the idea of the baby chocobo in his hair.

Have they given any hints or shown anything about the main antagonist for the game? Maybe it will be a woman (another first)?

Deadly Monk said:
Have they given any hints or shown anything about the main antagonist for the game? Maybe it will be a woman (another first)?

guess you forgot about Cloud of Darkness (FFIII) and Ultimecia (FFVIII)? :D

Darkpen

Banned
neojubei said:
Anna Torv should be Lighting's voice actor for the NA release.
*googles Anna Torv*

....yes, YES!

...wait, maybe. I dunno. She already did Nariko in Heavenly Sword. That sounds too weird for Lightning. Lightning is all suave and cool. Nariko sounds a bit husky and smoky.

Ether_Snake said:
Stream: http://ja.justin.tv/esegk

EDIT: Damnit I want the game so I can figure out how they lit their characters.
Seriously, the lighting is so good D:

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Deadly Monk said:
I love the idea of the baby chocobo in his hair.

Lightning! :D That's what I'm betting on, he he!

Boulayman

HK-47 said:
I am much more concerned with Sazh

Yeah, after seeing the way he acts, I am worried by his voice over as well. I sure hope we won't end up with something like this:

star-wars-jar-jar-binks.jpg

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
The way the music ends, and then starts again 2 sec later in another fight is just wrong after FFXII, I have a hard time believing that they plan to leave this like that. It's too "Looping". Also the stats screen, why not cumulative stats after a while, or in real-time as you move around right after defeating the enemies? It's weird, slow.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Darkpen said:
*googles Anna Torv*

....yes, YES!

...wait, maybe. I dunno. She already did Nariko in Heavenly Sword. That sounds too weird for Lightning. Lightning is all suave and cool. Nariko sounds a bit husky and smoky.

Seriously, the lighting is so good D:

Who would be good for Vanille?

Roxas

This game really is Final Fantasy VII in disguise.

Even the boss at the beginning looked like Guard Scorpion.

gantz85

Banned
I think this seems so far most of I expected out of FFXIII: Great graphics, music, production values. A couple of notes:

(1) I think those criticizing the level design shouldn't be too worried, the demo was specifically made to show off the battle system. This kind of level design shouldn't permeate the entire game.

(2) Voice acting sounds good.

(3) Character animations and everything else are Ace.

(4) Battle transitions are friggin fast and I can accept that. [We've already known about a separate battle arena for ages. This was explained by the developers as a choice mainly because of memory concerns.]

(5) The only thing that really bugs me is the battle system interface. It's a bunch of blue buttons and I think it can get cluttered at times. It looks fugly. There HAS to be a way that they can represent the whole battle interface more elegantly.

Still excited.

HK-47 said:
I am much more concerned with Sazh

I doubt they're going to give him a goofy voice if that's what you're worrying about. Sazh has the most lines in the game, so it's not a good idea to make his voice something that rubs people the wrong way. Square has been really good at casting their big titles lately anyway.

Darkpen

Banned
Ether_Snake said:
The way the music ends, and then starts again 2 sec later in another fight is just wrong after FFXII, I have a hard time believing that they plan to leave this like that. It's too "Looping". Also the stats screen, why not cumulative stats after a while, or in real-time as you move around right after defeating the enemies? It's weird, slow.
I had those exact same thoughts :(

But still, high hopes! Remember folks, demos are not reflective of the final product :p

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Roxas said:
This game really is Final Fantasy VII in disguise.

Even the boss at the beginning looked like Guard Scorpion.

Maybe you are seeing things...

Are maybe it was done that way on purpose for this segment.

mujun

HK-47 said:
What else would it look like?

Yes I'm willing to go this route

bear in mind that im far from a japanese rpg connoisseur.

i was hoping it would have evolved in a more western direction (less walls, more freedom) or have some major (to a degree that a casual fan would notice the difference) change up for the genre.

i repeat im not a jrpg expert, ive only played 5 or so in total.

Darkpen

Banned
HK-47 said:
Who would be good for Vanille?
You know, honestly, I think Vanille would be really easy and safe to cast from a wide range of voice actresses. She seems to be about as cheery as Penelo, which is to say pretty tame.

Jennifer Hale should do Lightning's voice. D:

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Also, characters should resist attacks with a magic shield or something, not take bullets like it's pebbles. But that's just me:p

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
mujun said:
bear in mind that im far from a japanese rpg connoisseur.

i was hoping it would have evolved in a more western direction (less walls, more freedom) or have some major (to a degree that a casual fan would notice the difference) change up for the genre.

i repeat im not a jrpg expert, ive only played 5 or so in total.

I dont know how much more open you could make the area considering its all roads and tracks suspended above the ground. You'll need to wait for other areas to be shown.

BG II started in a linear, corridor dungeon too.

ezekial45

Banned
Darkpen said:
*googles Anna Torv*

....yes, YES!

I think she can pull it off. I had no idea Olivia from Fringe was Nariko.

EDIT: Does this game still have LVLs? Or is it gonna go the way of this new system thats similar to the sphere grid.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
HK-47 said:
I dont know how much more open you could make the area considering its all roads and tracks suspended above the ground. You'll need to wait for other areas to be shown.

BG II started in a linear, corridor dungeon too.

You can be 100% certain it will most likely be like this, just as FFX and FFXII. There is a technical reason behind this, it's unlikely to change for the most part.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Ether_Snake said:
You can be 100% certain it will most likely be like this, just as FFX and FFXII. There is a technical reason behind this, it's unlikely to change for the most part.
XII was pretty damn open. Those areas and dungeons werent linear at all

Darkpen

Banned
Deadly Monk said:
I'm still upset it goes from running into an enemy then into a battle mode. Oh well, I'll get over it.
Pretty much my own thoughts. While I was really hoping for Chrono Trigger battle transitions, or at least out-transitions, I'll most likely get over it.

gantz85

Banned
HK-47 said:
XII was pretty damn open. Those areas and dungeons werent linear at all

Right, and there were linear portions to FFXII as well, like the skyship (?) where there were long stretches of bridge along with skeleton enemies.

There's no reason why FFXIII isn't possibly more open just because of this demo. If we had to play that part of FFXII as the demo we would also think it was quite linear.

mujun

HK-47 said:

true. star ocean 4 was pretty open, as was dq8.

i think what i mean is more open in terms of the order you go through the game and the ability to totally skip certain parts of the story.

have their been any traditional jrpgs that let you do these types of things?

hteng

Banned
bet people will get bored after seeing the same long ass animation sequences every other battle, hope they include a fast forward button

Top Bottom