• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Grand Theft Auto IV thread: The World Is Yours

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
Ok if there is one thing I want to quickly say:

This game feels so alive. The city just breathes with style. You guys are going to love it.

WhatRuOn said:
Anyone else see "muddiness" in the 360 version? Maybe it's my bad eye sight, but it seems like anything beyond 20 meters or so gets a weird Van Gogh paint filter placed over it. Anyone else see that? I'm think maybe setting the 360 to 720p as apposed to 1080p might help, but I don't know.

On the 360 version that is a "feature".

Vincent van Gogh would be proud.

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.
voltron said:
Yeah I just saw you on playing it thru xbox.com -- Im in Perth atm so no midnight launch for me.

Why did T2 stop the cinema thing?

Don't know, bailed out late in the day. They were given permission first.

Also you could of gone and bought GTA at midnight though from the Cinema was basically a free event.

Wizpig

There's no "mud off" option and i didn't see anything muddy.
Anyway, guys, can you swim in this game?
I know i shouldn't be the one asking since i'm playing right now, but i had a bad impact with the water while i was driving and i died =(

Router

Hopsiah the Kanga-Jew
Wizpig said:
I know i shouldn't be the one asking since i'm playing right now, but i had a bad impact with the water while i was driving and i died =(

You can swim.

Tr4nce

psycho_snake said:
Oh I cant beleive this. They've banned GTA4 in the UAE :(

Maybe you can arrange something with someone from GAF? I'm from Holland, so I don't know how the PAL version holds up on your system, but I would imagine that it's possible that someone buys the game for you, and you compensate him/her by paying the game and the transport costs. Just my 2 cents.

Edit: WizPig, yes you can swim in the game. Saw it on a livestream.

Loudninja

Wizpig said:

Yes you can swim.

Aladuf

Banned
KTallguy said:
What are the chances of me waltzing into Best Buy tomorrow and scoring a copy?

I'd say your chances are pretty good for the normal edition, they are gonna have tons of copies of it I assume.

Cheeto

bud said:
it might be the ''trails'' thingy, which you can turn off.
Nah, I wouldn't describe it as "trails". It's just that everything past a certain distance is blurry. Maybe it's the scaler, I'll try setting the 360 to 720p.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
Lonestar said:
gta.jpg

:D It's like I get $15 bucks off!

I know, I used to *always * do that with gamefly. And I'm doing it with GTA4. Mine already shipped as well and will be here tomorrow. Can't wait.

KTallguy

Banned
Aladuf23 said:
I'd say your chances are pretty good for the normal edition, they are gonna have tons of copies of it I assume.

Right on.
For this game I don't really care about the limited edition, but I may get the soundtrack if they have a box set for sale later on like VC.

Tieno

Why hasn't Wollan licked his GTA case yet?

Banzaiaap said:
Have you posted these kind of things before? Of another midnight launch, because I think I recognize that store lol. (Although I never have been there..)
I believe he posted some pics with the Halo 3 launch.

Malleymal

You now belong to FMT.
Lonestar said:
gta.jpg

:D It's like I get $15 bucks off!

Mine is 44 dollars to keep it.... I might as well...

they will send the box and everything... I will see you online Lone...

how many people can play online together???

Wollan

Tr4nce said:
Send him a message that GAF is awaiting his impressions please :D
I'm here now. Been awake for 21 hours now. I want to experience GTA4 to the fullest so I'm going to call it a (short) night before I start in modest (got the day off tomorrow).

Short initial impressions:
This thing is alive. You must feel it yourself. You really must.
How things are blurred in the distance, the perfect warmth to the sunlight, how smooth and dynamic cars/people/Niko move about...

I was afraid the game would seem jaggy after looking at ultra small videos for the last few days where all the details are concentrated. This was definitely not the case and is one of the very few times I've experienced so. The distant blur and endless vista with the lighting and smooth, non jaggied shadows just brings the whole thing together visually

I haven't actually done anything though besides driving atm. Actually, I walked all the way to the cab station (the first time I had freedom to explore) just to take it all in. You see different back alleys with different looks on the way there, one guy came after me trying to sell a CD I think (I shaked him off). I also saw a light chain collision (four vehicles with a police car sandwiched).

Just Wow.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
Malleymal said:
Mine is 44 dollars to keep it.... I might as well...

they will send the box and everything... I will see you online Lone...

how many people can play online together???

With my $5 coupon, it'll actually be about $44.19. If I had signed up early, I'd have gotten 10% off instead of 5 (which Tax took most of it back). If only it shipped yesterday (I know, Sunday) because my last "gamefly dollar" amount hadn't expired, and I also had my next 3 month "gamefly dollar". I'd have $10 of coupon instead of $5.

But, I'm also picking up my 360 copy tomorrow at lunch. I'll try out the PS3 one for awhile, see if I want to keep it too or not.

klee123

I hate you all. Ordered my US copy from Play-asia and it won't be shipped till the 2nd of May. I'm tempted to just to buy the Australian PS3 version to play for a week then sell it on ebay once the US version comes.

AirBrian

pxleyes said:
Pssch, who needs one of those when Super Wal-Marts are open 24/7. Midnight releases are the only thing I'll get from Wal-Mart but it works. No lines, no waiting, and I'm generally home before my friends even enter their respective stores.
dskillzhtown said:
I might do the wal-mart thing at midnight. I am hoping they are participating.

Heh, I need to call Wal-Mart and see if they'll match Circuit City's free $10 GC deal. If they do, I'll succumb to evil store because it's about 2 miles from my place.

Got mine shipping to my door from Gamefly (rental) as we speak. $45 brand new, I'm buying it as soon as I finish playing it for the first time.

AirBrian said:
Heh, I need to call Wal-Mart and see if they'll match Circuit City's free $10 GC deal. If they do, I'll succumb to evil store because it's about 2 miles from my place.
walmart will not price match free items, only advertised direct prices like $49.99, they wont even do percentages like 20% off unless it has a clear price on the ad

Brandon F said:
The forum seriously needs another 8.8 meltdown. All these perfect scores are BOOORING.
this thread would reach epic status immediately...hope it happens

mxz

Already playing here in Australia :) Question - the fighting system hint says press "A" to evade and then "B" or "Y" to disarm/takedown opponent, but that doesn't seem to work, A button does not seem to do anything. What am I doing wrong?

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
mxz said:
Already playing here in Australia :) Question - the fighting system hint says press "A" to evade and then "B" or "Y" to disarm/takedown opponent, but that doesn't seem to work, A button does not seem to do anything. What am I doing wrong?

I am purely guessing here since I don't have the game yet but maybe you can evade only when your opponent attacks and you quickly have to react with a button press, like a counter? Then followed by a disarm move

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.
Wish I could stay up and play some more but must sleep.

Been playing the 360 version and loving it, city is so alive even in Broker and when it switches to night to see the city and the lights in the distance its awesome.

The story works really well with Niko, because like him you are new to the city and don't know anyone or any place.

Can't wait to get back to Liberty City in the morning.

BojTrek

Banned
I don't have time to read through every post... will a non-GTA player like myself enjoy the game?

I have never touched GTA... and it looks like both systems run the game great...

I think I will get it for X-Box 360 for achievements...

Top Bottom