• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Grand Theft Auto IV thread: The World Is Yours

Loudninja

VOOK said:
Wish I could stay up and play some more but must sleep.

Been playing the 360 version and loving it, city is so alive even in Broker and when it switches to night to see the city and the lights in the distance its awesome.

The story works really well with Niko, because like him you are new to the city and don't know anyone or any place.

Can't wait to get back to Liberty City in the morning.

Before you go, are there alot of different cars?

mxz

Darunia said:
I am purely guessing here since I don't have the game yet but maybe you can evade only when your opponent attacks and you quickly have to react with a button press, like a counter? Then followed by a disarm move

Yeah, it says that, but "A" does absolutely nothing. I do try to press it just before an opponent punches me.

Evlar

Banned
VOOK said:
Wish I could stay up and play some more but must sleep.

Been playing the 360 version and loving it, city is so alive even in Broker and when it switches to night to see the city and the lights in the distance its awesome.

The story works really well with Niko, because like him you are new to the city and don't know anyone or any place.

Can't wait to get back to Liberty City in the morning.
How long is the day-night cycle?

derder

BojTrek said:
I don't have time to read through every post... will a non-GTA player like myself enjoy the game?

I have never touched GTA... and it looks like both systems run the game great...

I think I will get it for X-Box 360 for achievements...

Yes. Its up to you.

Eric WK

Evlar said:
Whoo, awesome! Is the night as long as the day or is it shortened as in Vice City?

Hm, I'm not sure. Since there aren't seasons (to my knoweldge), I suppose it would be static and it looks like early fall. That would mean probably 65-35 day or something. But since I haven't played it perhaps there's someone who knows for sure.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
BojTrek said:
I don't have time to read through every post... will a non-GTA player like myself enjoy the game?

I have never touched GTA... and it looks like both systems run the game great...

I think I will get it for X-Box 360 for achievements...
from my understanding (having not played it) it depends on your preference. If you like sandbox games, you will enjoy it. If you don't care for the structure of sandbox games, you probably won't as very little has changed.

for me personally on the GTA series, it was always hard to immerse myself in the stories because of the ridiculously low res of the PS2 (and subsequent XBX ports). This looks to completely fix that, so I will finally be able to "get into" the game. I love other sandbox games. Just the visual quality of previous titles in the series made them difficult for me to enjoy.

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
dedhead54 said:
If it's a 24 hr. Wal-Mart aren't they automatically "participating"?

Just wondering if the Wal-MArt near me will be diligent enough to actually start selling at midnight. I will make a call or go by there after work today. I have an Amazon.com order coming on the 30th, according to their site. But I am buying a regular edition for a friend of mine's birthday. So I say buy the regular from Wal-Mart at midnight, play until 1 or 2, and then give it to him after my Amazon order shows up.

Tr4nce

The Chef said:
I have a crazy work deadline today...but I cant do a damn thing but read this thread and look at the clock.

Solution: add every single GAF user in this thread to your ignore list.

:D

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.
Loudninja said:
Before you go, are there alot of different cars?

In Broker its mainly crap, old school stuff, taxis and SUVs. Stolen a few nice BMW ripoffs and a limo though.

The early morning fog is my favourite weather so far. Looks ace.

Banned
Was going to get mine at BB tomorrow but I don`t think I can wait the extra 10 hours. :lol May be running by Gamestop at midnight.

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
It's funny...

I was the one who always said that I wasn't gonna get it, so I'd just watch any video out there without fear of spoilers because it wouldn't matter in the end...

I was never a huge GTA 3D fan - sampled every one of them, but never felt the need to own them because of things that mattered greatly to me like the controls, graphics, etc....

Then I watched Swiftor's perfect-quality stream with zero lag, and I... I was impressed.

They really did fix the aiming, the controls, the graphics may not have been "the best ever" texture-wise, but I'll be damned if that wasn't the best "real" New York City atmosphere I've seen outside of actually being there ages ago period...

Happened to go to my favourite videogame store today, came in right when it was closed, and got the VIP treatment as always, and now...

16lclmr.jpg

23m8zsg.jpg

27x4itz.jpg

...here I am, a day early, GTA IV, in my possession...

Damn Rockstar.

And yes BenjaminBirdie, the raised logo on the boxart IS hot.

Gonna be playing strictly multiplayer tonight with a friend who is the true GTA story fan and wants to check it out at his own leisure, and then I'll hit single player myself after he goes offline...

For now, it's eating time...

Funny thing is that the friend who sold it to me (who also like me didn't want to buy it initially) told me he was playing it since Friday when they first got it in - had I had GTA-fever since then, I might have been playing that early as well!

dedhead54

dskillzhtown said:
Just wondering if the Wal-MArt near me will be diligent enough to actually start selling at midnight. I will make a call or go by there after work today. I have an Amazon.com order coming on the 30th, according to their site. But I am buying a regular edition for a friend of mine's birthday. So I say buy the regular from Wal-Mart at midnight, play until 1 or 2, and then give it to him after my Amazon order shows up.

Ohh, I see. Well I'd assume that they would have to start selling it at midnight as it is officially the 28th.

Loudninja

VOOK said:
In Broker its mainly crap, old school stuff, taxis and SUVs. Stolen a few nice BMW ripoffs and a limo though.

The early morning fog is my favourite weather so far. Looks ace.

Thanks! :D

Edit: Keep the impressions coming guys, I have to wait like 4 days longer :(

Firewire

Banned
Opus Angelorum said:

lol!

My store is doing a midnight launch, but to be honest I don't really care. Won't be able to put any real time into it till Thursday night at the earliest. Work and all that stuff!

CoG

PhatSaqs said:
Woot. Just got shipping confirm from amazon :D

Same here, 2-day UPS. If it ships out of Jersey as it often does from Amazon, I'll have it tomorrow (I'm in Manhattan).

Wife's out of the house tomorrow night so that'll work :D

derder

To be completely honest, I don't think it deserves a 10. It's not perfect in respect to the other games to which it must be critically compared. Regardless of who's rating system you're using, I think it deserves between a 95%-99%.

After watching nothing but justin.tv for the past few days, It really struck me that this game is missing one of the greatest things to happen this
console
generation:

The Replay or Saved Video Feature

Now, I understand it could never be as intricate and advanced as Halo 3's (Due to file size and network bandwidth constraints), but I think .skate's system would be perfect.

It is unacceptable that this feature is missing. There is not a more appropriate game to put this feature to use. Missing the ability to rewind 30 seconds to replay/record some of the jumps or just random craziness that defines GTA is insulting.

It boggles my mind that R* was capable of including a 16-player free-roam mode, yet couldn't a feature that found in games of its caliber. I think it has to do entirely with time constraints during development and I hope that it could be added in the future, but it won't. I would assume that it would have take a "re-wiring" of the internal code and would be too much effort; however, this has been done before (HLTV).

I hope this is added to SR2, at the very least...

vumpler

If You Can't Beat 'Em, Talk Shit About 'Em
:lol WTF. You typed this:
To be completely honest, I don't think it deserves a 10. It's not perfect in respect to the other games to which it must be critically compared. Regardless of who's rating system you're using, I think it deserves between a 95%-99%.

After watching nothing but justin.tv for the past few days, It really struck me that this game is missing one of the greatest things to happen this console generation:

Now, I understand it could never be as intricate and advanced as Halo 3's (Due to file size and network bandwidth constraints), but I think .skate's system would be perfect.

It is unacceptable that this feature is missing. There is not a more appropriate game to put this feature to use. Missing the ability to rewind 30 seconds to replay/record some of the jumps or just random craziness that defines GTA is insulting.

It boggles my mind that R* was capable of including a 16-player free-roam mode, yet couldn't a feature that found in games of its caliber. I think it has to do entirely with time constraints during development and I hope that it could be added in the future, but it won't. I would assume that it would have take a "re-wiring" of the internal code, yet this has been done before (HLTV).

I hope this is someone they add to SR2, at the very least...

But when I hit quote your paragraph it gives me this:
derder said:
:lol :lol

Anyway, I don't believe in any way that this is a necessity. It might be something nice from Halo 3, but give me a break. To take away points because it doesn't have record? Please... Get a good capture card for $120 that will wireless encode the video for you from HD from any platform. So then you get to record EVERYTHING :D .

However if this shit happens to me 1 time:
APZonerunner said:
They've been working towards this, and in the name of realism there's now scary trees in games too:

doomtreeTHERETURN.gif

fucktrees.gif

Then this game get a fucking 40%.

Captain Pants

Killed by a goddamned Dredgeling
derder said:

After watching nothing but justin.tv for the past few days, It really struck me that this game is missing one of the greatest things to happen this
console
generation:

It boggles my mind that R* was capable of including a 16-player free-roam mode, yet couldn't a feature that found in games of its caliber. I think it has to do entirely with time constraints during development and I hope that it could be added in the future, but it won't. I would assume that it would have take a "re-wiring" of the internal code and would be too much effort; however, this has been done before (HLTV).

I hope this is added to SR2, at the very least...

I don't see why the lack of a replay system should keep the game from scoring a 10. The game is going to deliver on every other conceivable front.

derder

Captain Pants said:
I don't see why the lack of a replay system should keep the game from scoring a 10. The game is going to deliver on every other conceivable front.

Thus giving it a near perfect score which it wholly deserves.

I wrote this to hopefully get everyone here to realize that Gamespot usually is right when it comes to its grading system.

If you remove all the hype surrounding the second coming of Christ (Wii) and Zelda franchise, you're left with a pretty good game that didn't take advantage of the Wii hardware in anyway, thus earning an 8.8.

I have a feeling that this is going to earn almost a perfect 10, as it uses the hardware to the fullest and isn't like anything we've had before this point. Hopefully they can remove this same hype and give it a score that they could agree with in 2 years, thus earning back their credibility again.

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
didn't San Andreas for Xbox have a 30 second replay feature? I'm surprised they didn't include something simple like that.

wow i just wondered over to the "comparison thread"

pure entertainment gold lol

anyone currently posting that has the 360 version? oxymoronic?

Captain Pants

Killed by a goddamned Dredgeling
derder said:

We'll have to agree to disagree on this one. It would be a nice feature to have, but when you take into account all the content in the game, I couldn't realistically ask for more.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
derder said:
I posted it and realized that I was probably going to get flamed to death, but reconsidered :/
the problem with your critical analysis is that it disregards one thing. while it may be missing some elements that exist in other games, and is missing a replay save, the sum of its parts that is does have is so far beyond everything else we've had this gen so far that it still merits the 10.

I think the real problem is that gamers expect reviews to work their way down, not work their way up. The problem with this is that not only will no game ever be perfect under this scale, but every game would end up simply ok at best. To start ripping apart something for everything wrong with it starts missing what's right with it.

I like how reviews generally are. Start at 0.0 and look at what the game does right. If it's enough to take it to a 10, so be it. It doesn't mean the game's perfect, it just means it's good enough for a 10. We need to get this conception out of our mind that the highest score is somehow perfect. It's not, it's simply the highest score on the rating scale.

derder said:
Again, 10 isn't a perfect score, just the highest score on the scale. If any game deserves the highest score a scale has, it's this. It would be like saying it doesn't deserve 5/5 from gamespy.

Twig

Banned
I think it deserves between a 95%-99%.
And what, pray tell, is the difference between a fucking 96/100 and a 97/100.

Seriously.

Who really cares what the score is! I'm getting the game because it looks fun. Do you really need more than that? I'm sure I'll have my fair share of complaints come the time I actually get it, but what do I care if some reviewer didn't give it one less point out of a hundred?

besada

Banned
I'm for a replay feature. I don't care about some imaginary points given or taken away, and I don't think it's going to make the game bad by any stretch of the imagination, but after H3 the replay feature has become a big deal for me.

I particularly hoped for it with GTAIV.

Teknoman

besada said:
I'm for a replay feature. I don't care about some imaginary points given or taken away, and I don't think it's going to make the game bad by any stretch of the imagination, but after H3 the replay feature has become a big deal for me.

I particularly hoped for it with GTAIV.

Definatly. Even if it only lasted a few seconds.

JCtheMC

There's always the possibility of Rockstar releasing a replay/saved film feature as a piece of DLC. Let's hope they're listening.

BojTrek said:
Hey guys, does this tree pop-up happen on both 360 and PS3? Or just one?

There is now video evidence that it doesn't happen on the 360 retail copy at least. No news about the PS3 version, but one would imagine it's not a problem there.

vumpler

If You Can't Beat 'Em, Talk Shit About 'Em
derder said:
I posted it and realized that I was probably going to get flamed to death, but reconsidered :/
Oh well I had your back anyway and was going to post it for you :D

dork

Banned
QUESTION FOR THOSE WHO HAVE IT

I may have missed it, but this is important.

How is the multiplayer matchmaking/lobby?

Top Bottom