• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Grand Theft Auto IV thread: The World Is Yours

Gav

My Asda is 24hours, but im not going till about 6.30am tomorrow on my way out to uni. I cant see why they wouldnt have any at that time.

I have a preorder in GAME, but i dont trust it. The last 2 times i preordered a high profile game there very far in advance, it was deleted or lost by them. [finding a legendary Halo 3 after they cocked up was great fun...]

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
tegdf said:
anyone know if walmart is doing a midnight launch?

I think it will vary store by store. I am going to try the Wal-Mart near my house to see if they are doing a midnight launch.

espionage

dork said:
Multiplayer lobby impressions?

Yes someone please let us know how this is. Lack of a party system in Vegas 2 is what killed the online adversarial for me. I read somewhere that there is some sort of Party System in place for this game, but at the same time, there are settings that only the host can modify. A host being able to choose several detailed settings for a match seems contradictory to a party system so I'm worried. Anyone know if you can start a cops and robbers match, for example, with four or five friends all on the same team through some sort of matchmaking?

Wizpig

dork said:
Oh sure answer his question :(. </3
Dude, about the lobby all i saw in the training was a simple screen where you can see if everyone is ready, so that's why i skipped your question :D
That's pretty it.
I didn't try the game online.

dork

Banned
You are excused.

Ok if anyone posts server/lobby impressions please pm the post to me. As i am doing homework and cant keep coming back here. Otherwise i will just find out in 11 hours

edit- a friend of mine just played for 5 hours online, ill steal his impressions hold on

Afrikan

Bay Area GAF..... where are you going to get the game from......if you didn't preorder like me....... are some stores already selling it...?

Dr_Cogent

Banned
derder said:
On a numerical scale, I don't think GTA4 deserves a perfect rating. It is missing an important feature (Saved Games), that would necessitate a perfect scoring.

I don't see how this is some sort of important feature. It doesn't need Saved Games.

Dr_Cogent

Banned
BobTheFork said:
I'm not sure I even understand this. It doesn't have saved games??
9.5 hrs AHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

I think he means the ability to have multiple saves instead of the game saving automatically and basically you simply have no way of loading a specific saved game.

Saved games? What do you mean?
Dr_Cogent said:
I think he means the ability to have multiple saves instead of the game saving automatically and basically you simply have no way of loading a specific saved game.
Oh. Does that mean I can't put in a bunch of cheats, goof around like a god, and then reload my file so that it remains uncheated? That would kinda suck.

Dr_Cogent said:

No the game has save slots. I think he means Saved Films functionality.

Dr_Cogent said:
ah. Now that is something I like but I don't think it necessary at all. One thing I would like to see that no GTA has done is a mission replayer after you beat the game. If your favorite mission is halfway through the game, I don't think you should have to play all the way to it again. But Even if I use multiple saves, I don't I've ever gone back to one of them after I saved again and move on.

Vito

Banned
Does anyone know the aproximate weight for the LE (I wonder how much the shipping from US will cost me for the PS3 version).

And if anyone knows if the x360 version is region-locked (msrp 70gbp in Europe for the LE, bastards and my 58gbp order got canceled :( ).

Dr_Cogent

Banned
BenjaminBirdie said:
No the game has save slots. I think he means Saved Films functionality.

It does? Did previous games have this?

BobTheFork said:
ah. Now that is something I like but I don't think it necessary at all. One thing I would like to see that no GTA has done is a mission replayer after you beat the game. If your favorite mission is halfway through the game, I don't think you should have to play all the way to it again. But Even if I use multiple saves, I don't I've ever gone back to one of them after I saved again and move on.

Well, don't quote me on what I said because it appears I was wrong according to BenjaminBirdie.

BobTheFork said:

No, there's definitely 12 save slots. Which is critical for Multi-Player households like mine.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
AirBrian said:
Which version are you getting?

360 b/c that's what my friends and brother have. Also slightly bigger friends list. That way I can also flip back and forth between GTA and Hot Shots Golf. Yes.

Dr_Cogent

Banned
BenjaminBirdie said:
No, there's definitely 12 save slots. Which is critical for Multi-Player households like mine.

?

That's why we have individual profiles on todays consoles. They can't play using their own profile?

Leonsito

Posting from my iPod touch, I've just bought the regular 360 version in Spain, they offered me a SE but I don't feel like paying 30€ more.

Can't wait to arrive home :D

pxleyes

Banned
Vito said:
Does anyone know the aproximate weight for the LE (I wonder how much the shipping from US will cost me for the PS3 version).

And if anyone knows if the x360 version is region-locked (msrp 70gbp in Europe for the LE, bastards and my 58gbp order got canceled :( ).
I actually want to know the weight as well. I'm curious as to how strong and durable that lock-box is going to be.

BenjaminBirdie said:
ah, that different. If he was talking about saved gameplay videos then yes I really wish it had that somehow. You just know crazy shit is going to happen all the time and I wish I could capture to show off said crazy shit.
Astro getting 360 version?!?!? D:

Any dynamic game like this with unrestricted gameplay and a quality physic engine would benefit from a saved films type feature but its far from necessary. It can be an amazing feature but it's pretty low on my list of must haves.

Dr_Cogent said:
?

That's why we have individual profiles on todays consoles. They can't play using their own profile?

One family, one gamertag, one set of achievement points.

;D

If it wasn't for my better half, I'd have no Oblivion or Burnout Revenge points.

Dr_Cogent

Banned
BobTheFork said:
ah, that different. If he was talking about saved gameplay videos then yes I really wish it had that somehow. You just know crazy shit is going to happen all the time and I wish I could capture to show off said crazy shit.
Astro getting 360 version?!?!? D:

I would imagine since they have had to squeeze as much out of these systems as possible, there would be no way they could support some video saving system. That would suck up way too much CPU and bandwidth in general I am sure.

Dr_Cogent said:
I would imagine since they have had to squeeze as much out of these systems as possible, there would be no way they could support some video saving system. That would suck up way too much CPU and bandwidth in general I am sure.
oh I'm sure. I don't see how they would pull that off, but you have to admit, that would be unbelievably sweet.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead

Biggie

Fatghost said:
Futureshops are doing midnight launches. Some EBs are doing midnight launches. Gamerama in Toronto will probably do a midnight launch (they have for Halo 3 and other big games). Some WalMarts are 24 hours (Barrie South for example) as well.

I'm picking up my copy at Game Centre at Yonge and Bloor tonight at midnight. They said they will have a lot copies of the game for both 360 and PS3.

Wizpig

Wizpig said:
Now, about the graphics "question":
Sometimes the game is almost black & white, before it even turns night maybe.
I dunno how to explain it, it's just this weird palette the game has, maybe it's fog or something, but i swear the image had little to no colors.
Obviously, the HUD had them, i'm talking about the in-game colors.

Can someone explain this to me?
Anyone, guys? :p

8bit

Knows the Score
Vito said:

UPS tracking has my 360 LE as 2.00 kg.

dork

Banned
it has matchmaking... you select the multiplayer gametype out of the 16 or whatever there are... you sit in a lobby with a black screen while you wait for other players.. there is a party leader who can change the game type, duration, rules, etc.

you can choose a ranked match, unranked

yeah im pretty sure... i haven't played with a party yet, so what i do is I select the game type I want to play, whether it be cops and robbers or deathmatch, it puts me in a lobby and adds other players, similar to halo 3

Some impressions, working on getting more

SOME IMPRESSIONS, working on getting screenshots

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
Loudninja said:
More impressions please? :(
Ok just finished a 4 hour session.

As I said before, the city is full of life. From running up to grab a hotdog across the street and eating it on the run to coming across a major intersection accident on the road with people arguing to and fro. Everything is top of the mark. I yanked a guy out from his car and proceeded to throw a few punches his way, and the people in the car behind us got out to try and protect him. I thought that was awesome.

One of my biggest highlights so far is driving around at sunset to 1979 on the radio, pulling up near the beach and watching the sun disappear behind the skyscrapers in the distance. That and hitting up the cabaret :lol

Other than that, the only problem I have is the typical "GTA camera" whereby your character is stuck in a certain position and the camera creates a bigger havoc. Missions are great, restarting missions is perfectly simple and the clusterfuck that was GTA: SA's dating and clothing mechanism is practically wiped clean. Driving takes a bit of getting used to at first, but within 15 mins you're usually able to control the vehicle easily.

Oh also there was something funny and completely random that I saw. Driving along the highway I come across this guy in the middle of the strip watering the grass with one of those old school watering cans. That was a complete "what the fuck..." moment but it was a good laugh to stop over and just watch him go about his business.

Spirit of Jazz said:
I don't know if I should go to ASDA at 12 :(

I'm guessing your ASDA is 24 hour, if so usually the nightshift will start stocking shelves from 11pm, so you could see if there is a copy out and if not just ask one of the shop floor workers to get you a copy from the back.. that is unless the ASDA staff have taken all the copies for themselves :lol .. sorry that's actually no laughing matter!

Loudninja

speedpop said:

As I said before, the city is full of life. From running up to grab a hotdog across the street and eating it on the run to coming across a major intersection accident on the road with people arguing to and fro. Everything is top of the mark. I yanked a guy out from his car and proceeded to throw a few punches his way, and the people in the car behind us got out to try and protect him. I thought that was awesome.

One of my biggest highlights so far is driving around at sunset to 1979 on the radio, pulling up near the beach and watching the sun disappear behind the skyscrapers in the distance. That and hitting up the cabaret :lol

Other than that, the only problem I have is the typical "GTA camera" whereby your character is stuck in a certain position and the camera creates a bigger havoc. Missions are great, restarting missions is perfectly simple and the clusterfuck that was GTA: SA's dating and clothing mechanism is practically wiped clean. Driving takes a bit of getting used to at first, but within 15 mins you're usually able to control the vehicle easily.

Oh also there was something funny and completely random that I saw. Driving along the highway I come across this guy in the middle of the strip watering the grass with one of those old school watering cans. That was a complete "what the fuck..." moment but it was a good laugh to stop over and just watch him go about his business.

NICE, thanks man :)

Teknoman

speedpop said:

I really want a next-gen Shenmue now ; ;

AirBrian

AstroLad said:
360 b/c that's what my friends and brother have. Also slightly bigger friends list. That way I can also flip back and forth between GTA and Hot Shots Golf. Yes.
Nice. See you online then!

BLU-82

When you party up everyone spawns at this dock place full of guns and vehicles you piss around there until the party leader takes you all into a game.

Top Bottom