• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Grand Theft Auto IV thread: The World Is Yours

WrikaWrek

Banned
Francias Castiglione said:
My absolute favourite kill is a guy running full pelt across my field of view, I hit him in the legs and he goes stumbling off balance into a speeding Turismo and over the edge of the bridge. Next game absolutely MUST have replay mode.

Stole a car, the guy came running back, he then hanged(?) on to the door of the car, didn't let go even with the car moving, till he ends up hitting a post :lol

Another funny moment was, i got this sweet ride, put it in front of the house, all fixed, all washed, when i'm getting out of the car a car comes speeding through and takes my freaking door away.

I couldn't believe that shit.

Brannon

Tuvoc said:
L.C.P.D. Street justice!

1209341644202.gif

Holy shit, broadsided! I was just about to do that to somebody in multiplayer, but then somebody else leapt off a hill in a truck and crushed me.

Thrakier

Sorry, but: Why did Lair get bad critics because of the framerate (I know it wasn't the only reason but it was one reasion) but GTA get's grahic 10's across the board?

TaKeRx

Um can people do activities online? For example me and my friend want to play pool online or even bowling. Is that possible?

Reave

Thrakier said:
Sorry, but: Why did Lair get bad critics because of the framerate (I know it wasn't the only reason but it was one reasion) but GTA get's grahic 10's across the board?
Lair has a lot more problems than just framerate stuff.

Jirotrom said:
i know this is weird but where the heck do I park my car?

When you're saving? If you look, there's a orange square painted on the road that says "Tenants Parking Only" or something.

At least I hope so, I left my car there when I finished playing and haven't tried it again since :)

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
Damn Bish, 220+ people? Are you guys going to the like mega-store for the area? I went to Wal-Mart at midnight. There were about 16 people there and I was out by 12:15.

I played for about 2 hours. Had one date, did a handful of Roman missions. Didn't do much in the way of mayhem. I do agree that the graphics are not as WOW OMG, as the reviews have said. It looks good, but not the graphical powerhouse I was expecting.

I am enjoying the game, about 2 hours in. I am sooooo sleepy now at work. I want to go back home and play some more!

There were about 100 people at my Cleveland Area GameStop. Less than for Halo 3.

GAF game about to start right now. Send me a msg if anyone is interested (360).

DaCocoBrova

Finally bought a new PSP, but then pushed the demon onto someone else. Jesus.
Thrakier said:

Stupid-ass question imo.

SoulPlaya

more money than God
Yeah, I walked into CC and bought it easy,w ith the gift card. They had plenty of all versions left. Anyways, I'm honestly not liking it as much as I did San Andreas, but I haven't done much so far. BTW, does anyone have any recommendations on TV calibration? The game's aliasing seems to be pretty bad, I think it might be my TV. Beautiful game, otherwise though.

I just finished playing my first session. I definitely like the game, but the car handling is throwing me off. It feels nothing like previous GTA games to me. I like the new social elements, and the cell phone is just an awesome addition. Great way to keep track of everything and everyone.

So yeah... Good stuff! I just hope my 360 VGA cable comes this afternoon so I can play it good and proper!

Picked it up last night at Gamestop about 120 in line. Got it home played for about 2hrs. Game is great, I love all the things you can do, the walking up to the rack and trying on clothes is a really cool touch.

Oddly enough I played Saints Row that night to get prepped for this title, I like Saints Row better:lol I know I am in the minority. I think it's the simplicity, the controls and the graphical clarity and color of SR.

Ohh man.. i stole a Mercedes CLK Kompressor off an old man and he held onto the door handle for dear life. I must have dragged him for over 2 blocks. :lol
Funny game. I like.

dedhead54

If anyone (Rayne, MMaRsu, etc) from the Cops n Crooks game online right now is reading this, my fucking headset just broke, so I can't communicate...

Munin

Two things (very minor) that nag me so far:

1) The weapon sounds. Like in every GTA, they just sound dry, dull, and generally shitty. Especially the normal pistol. Would have loved something with more oomph for once, to accomodate the infinitely better feeling gunplay.

2) I love be able to take a taxi and just get driven around and look at the city from the passenger's seat. Why isn't the same thing possible with the train, Mafia-style? After all, the interiors etc. are there, so why it's still like GTA3 is beyond me.

Oh well. Other than that, pretty good so far.

i got to algonquin yesterday for the first time- it's so great to jack some really nice cars. new favorite thing to do is going into dashboard view mode and careen down a packed sidewalk and watch euphoria blow my mind. blood everywhere!

The effect of shooting someone through a windshield is so satisfying.

I can't seem to be able to hail a cab. I have the PS3 version, and tried holding L1 but it doesn't seem to whistle. Do I have to be at a certain point in the story for it to work?
Controller is on Standard setting.

I bumped into some stupid drunk right in front of the safehouse, so I don't want to waste my time fighting him and run inside. Next thing I know he's right behind me on the stairs, so I decide to kick his ass and get it over with. I leave him for dead in the hallway after I stab him with a knife and he's out cold on the floor.

I head into the safehouse and go to sleep and when I wake up the bum fucking crawls into the apartment and starts shuffling around the kitchen. So awesome.

vilmer_

Anyone else having problems getting into the Rockstar Social Club area on the website? I linked my PSN ID, I'm online, yet it keeps saying "Sorry: bla bla bla".

FordStang

QUICK QUESTION:

You know how for Halo 3, you can have a friend signed on you account as a guest... can you have a friend sign on as a guest during online play??? Or can it just be 1 person on an account?

EternalDarko said:
I can't seem to be able to hail a cab. I have the PS3 version, and tried holding L1 but it doesn't seem to whistle. Do I have to be at a certain point in the story for it to work?

there has to be a cab nearby. if they don't stop you can still force yourself in by holding triangle/Y

WrikaWrek

Banned
Could not disagree more, the guns sound awesome in this game.

The glock sounds like a glock, and later when you get the desert eagle, well you will have your "onf" to it.

Anyway, guns sound awesome to me. Oh and let me tell you about a mission....gonna say just one word
H.E.A.T

And yes, it's probably the best rendition of such a scene in a videogame yet.

eznark

Banned
Game is still available (both versions) at every Best Buy in the Boston area. Strange. My mom called and asked me if I was waiting in a line because she drove by a BB near Milwaukee and there was a line around the building.

Boston hates games confirmed.

notjackbauer said:
there has to be a cab nearby. if they don't stop you can still force yourself in by holding triangle/Y
I tried standing in front of a cab and doing it. Didn't seem to work. I'll mess about some more and try with holding triangle as well.

Yeah, the pistol sound grew on me to the point that i really like it now. still can't buy the beretta- display model only at the shop. hopefully that will have a more satisfying sound.

i agree about the subway thing- i would like to be able to walk around inside and KILL EVERYONE inside, look out the windows etc. the securit cam view is wierd. i like the rooftop view, though

KTallguy

Banned
Got the game last night, but only could spend an hour or so with it.

I think it’s very striking and beautiful, and I encountered no crashes, but I must admit that I was expecting more from the framerate.

I think I need more time with it. I really appreciate all the detail in the environment though. The atmosphere is great.

Blablurn

am i the only one, who thinks that, no game, no matter how goodit is, should beat OoT on Gamerankins? Like um tradition or something? "destroying a legend" (also: no game could ever beat the 99.8% the ps3 version recently has)

FrankT

CurlySaysX said:
Ohh man.. i stole a Mercedes CLK Kompressor off an old man and he held onto the door handle for dear life. I must have dragged him for over 2 blocks. :lol
Funny game. I like.

:lol

Awesome

woodchuck

so yeah. i just started playing. and already i saw a ped try to rob a hot dog stand. then the cops came and arrested him. so awesome

FrankT

Blablurn said:
am i the only one, who thinks that, no game, no matter how goodit is, should beat OoT on Gamerankins? Like um tradition or something? "destroying a legend" (also: no game could ever beat the 99.8% the ps3 version recently has)

You're definitely not the only one, but I certainly disagree and I loved OoT.

Top Bottom