• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Grand Theft Auto IV thread: The World Is Yours

Because I can't play the game yet and need to amuse myself, my brain is kinda fast-forwarding to the fall when the exclusive 360 content comes out. I'm just wondering what kind of phormat w@Rz fallout we'll see when that happens with the 360DF crowing about it and the SDF spinning their talking points. Maybe I should advance order my popcorn now because it seems like it might be hard to find in the stores come this fall.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
Ok kids.

Once you get the bridges open, grab a bike and fly down Broker Bridge, the most southern bridge. Hope to god you miss the traffic at the three intersections and hit the stunt jump.

I did it in one of those trail bikes at first and barely made it as I slowed down a bit.. so I grabbed the speed bike and went down. I've never laughed so hard in all my life. The airtime was unreal, so I simply had to do it again with a bigger run up and pulling back on the stick as I hit the ramp.

Only problem was I flew too high that I hit the platform above :lol A shame there is no replay function.

woodchuck said:
so yeah. i just started playing. and already i saw a ped try to rob a hot dog stand. then the cops came and arrested him. so awesome
Similar thing happened to me, however he ran away and the cop was chasing him. I ran along with them for a little bit to see if the cop would catch him, but he wasn't getting anywhere so I sprinted ahead and pushed the guy down......I heard the cop say thanks for the help, but for whatever reason he then turned on me and the radar lit up so I ended up doing a runner.

Wizpig

Oh, right, before i forget to ask this... can you look around yourself in first-person view?
How?

Also, about that GTA 4 TV question... i can't believe you can view it in first-person only on the Ps3, c'mon, there gotta be a way on the 360!

there's no full screen TV mode on ps3, just a zoomed in one so the tv (with dials etc) fills most of the frame.

i tried to do a stunt jump last night and was told "not good enough." awesome!

Lakitu

st5fu
CurlySaysX said:
Ohh man.. i stole a Mercedes CLK Kompressor off an old man and he held onto the door handle for dear life. I must have dragged him for over 2 blocks. :lol
Funny game. I like.

hahaha :lol same thing happened to me lol, some old dude wouldn't let go of the car door and was hanging on just about, and then I accidentally banged the side he was on into a building :lol

calder

Holy shit what a game.

There was at least 300 ppl in line last night, and on the way there I passed an EB that had about a hundred ppl lined up at it. The SE packaging is soooooooooo fucking nice, I'm really happy I got the SE. The safety deposit box is worth $30 on it's own, the duffel bag is surprisingly usable and the other stuff is nice too, I probably will use the R* keychain. :lol

After all my big talk last night I was falling asleep playing at like 3:30am. I'm not a teenager anymore I guess. :lol Played another couple of hours today, and have not even scratched the surface of the SP. I received a few MP invites last night when I got home but I didn't have the phone yet so I couldn't accept them. Did play one random deathmatch at 3am with a guy, clearly he didn't know the menus and options and neither did I so we ended up fighting each other. Very smooth and the combat felt tight for the little I played.

Man the city is so daunting at first. I'm very early in the game (
just took Michelle out on a date
) and I have absolutely no bearing on where I am in Liberty City. Thank god for GPS.

Bloodwake

First of all, RICKY GERVAIS IS FUCKING IN GTAIV HELL YES.

Next on the agenda:

I was really shocked by how the game managed to change since San Andreas. I'm only a few hours in, and it really feals like Niko was really trying to get away from a lifestyle of crime by coming to Liberty City, only to be thrown right back into the mix. The two girls you meet right off the bat aren't whorish at all, which is unusual. Hell, I might go on to say that this game's story might actually be the first serious crime drama game. Sure, the parody GTA aspects are still there, but I was really taken aback by how serious the game managed to be in comparison to the other games in the series.

The other thing that I was really struck by was how diverse the game population was. On the first dating mission, I ran into black people, Russians speaking about the homeland, and typical white assholes. The development team did an overall amazing job at replicating how diverse the population of a city like New York is.

I'm at work now, and I've only played for three hours (most of that time watching the TV, which is hilarious, I rofled at the Republican Space Rangers) but I can already tell that this is going to be my favorite game in the series. Especially now that I feel like my character is at least trying to develop some morals, at least at the beginning. It definitely deserves the tens that reviewers are giving it.

Edit: StrikerObi, amen to that, I'm amazed at how lost I am so soon into the game. Rockstar wins yet again with the GPS and the city design. I'm sure it's not easy to find your way around New York either.

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
Kinda disappointing how little the game lets you attempt missions in any other way than they designed, try and block a path to stop someone getting away and it despawns the car, park a car so you can jump in easier and start chasing, and it moves it around/despawns it.

Wizpig

About viewing TV shows: i also noticed how it's kinda bugged when you place your view behind Niko watching the TV... he shakes his head in a strange way.

Noticed this?

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
Just arrived today and now crossing my fingers. I almost missed the UPS guy, he rang my doorbell so I ran downstairs and as soon as I opened the door he was about to put a sticker on it.

Well wish me luck!!

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Having fun with the game so far. I'm puzzled at one thing though. After visiting the Strip Club, I'm bumrushed by like, 4 security dudes for no reason what so ever. Freakin' weird.

chunk3rvd

Just pulled by PS3 out of the box!! It's running a system update, then I'll install, then I'm in.

As this is my first HD console, I was just after the following advice: My TV is a Samsung LCD with a maximum output of 1080i and I'm playing through HDMI. Will this game (and others) look better running at 720p or 1080i (and will my shitty eyes even be able to tell the difference?)

Thanks

Doc Evils

Shatner's Bassoon said:
Same problem here. Glad to know it's not just my connection.

same here too.

chunk3rvd said:
Just pulled by PS3 out of the box!! It's running a system update, then I'll install, then I'm in.

As this is my first HD console, I was just after the following advice: My TV is a Samsung LCD with a maximum output of 1080i and I'm playing through HDMI. Will this game (and others) look better running at 720p or 1080i (and will my shitty eyes even be able to tell the difference?)

Thanks

use 720p.

c2morg

Ranked matches

Is there a reason I only seem to be able to host them an not join one? Maybe im over looking a simple option but every game starts me as a host.

Xdrive05

Quick question about the game's completion percentage: does it just include missions or is it also for all the little things you do, like hidden packages and playing arcade games and such?

Because it's telling me I'm at about 11% completion, and that I've done something like 12 missions (in 5 1/2 hours time).

Tuvoc

Kintaro said:
Having fun with the game so far. I'm puzzled at one thing though. After visiting the Strip Club, I'm bumrushed by like, 4 security dudes for no reason what so ever. Freakin' weird.

Its because you didn't have the money to pay for the dance.

Stop It

Perfectly able to grasp the inherent value of the fishing game.
Just been playing online with some Gaffers (You know who you are), Cops Vs Robbers was very fun, and Free Play, well, er....Turned into free killing, efforts at co-operating turned sour once people found helicopters, great laugh though, and I will certainly want to play with a few of that lot again, heh.

speedpop

This game continually amazes. I'm at Times Square and decide to pop a tyre on one of the taxis. Soon all these taxis quickly empty around me and I am hearing gun shots heading towards me, the guy is a shoddy aim because it's hitting the cars around me.

I realise that Mr Security guard from across the street has seen me blow a tyre on some poor fool and tries to act the hero. I jump into a van for some protection and the cops rock up and start to have a showdown with Mr Security which later ends with his death. The entire ordeal was topped off brilliantly with Iggy Pop wailing in the radio.

chunk3rvd said:
Will this game (and others) look better running at 720p or 1080i (and will my shitty eyes even be able to tell the difference?)

Thanks
GTA IV highest res is 720p so even if you have it set at 1080i (with 720p option in your PS3 display settings) it'll automatically switch over to 720p when the game begins.

Andokuky

Banned
sableholic said:
I've asked that question a couple times now too. Anyone with the 360 version been able to setup a private match??

I found that if you go to Player Match and set up a match, you can assign up to 15 private slots to the room.

TeTr1C

Got it last night at midnight at GamStop and played it for about 4 hours already. I did one mission so far, but other than that, just running around and dying a lot.

Best GTA in the series so far, and GAME OF THE FOREVER. :lol

[Roman / Roman's Sorrow]

:O

Holy shit. That was fucking unbelievable. They perfectly captured that sensation of racing through the city, scrambling to get your shit together in an emergency, finding everything in your life completely destroyed with no time to linger on it. What an intense fucking mission, and not one shot fired.

Only One Question: Will ever get cab missions from Roman again?

:(

Xdrive05 said:
Quick question about the game's completion percentage: does it just include missions or is it also for all the little things you do, like hidden packages and playing arcade games and such?

Because it's telling me I'm at about 11% completion, and that I've done something like 12 missions (in 5 1/2 hours time).

Hidden packages in GTa 4? I think they have removed them completely. Am I right?Thus far I havent found any.

God, I love the game...killing gangsters as a police mission fucking rocks.

Haha - I was walking near a bowling alley, when I heard a cop shouting in the distance. I ran to see what was up, and I see this lazy-looking, fat cop who chubs forward, and shouts profanities at some criminal who is nowhere to be seen. Eventually he stops "running" and says: "Why can't I ever catch 'em?". :lol

speedpop

BenjaminBirdie said:
[Roman / Roman's Sorrow]

Yes

Actually now I'm not so sure. All I know is that he can get his cab business up and running again for awhile

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
BenjaminBirdie said:
[Roman / Roman's Sorrow]

:O

Holy shit. That was fucking unbelievable. They perfectly captured that sensation of racing through the city, scrambling to get your shit together in an emergency, finding everything in your life completely destroyed with no time to linger on it. What an intense fucking mission, and not one shot fired.

:(

Strat guide says cab missions end with that mission, but they aren't required for 100% this time. Of course if this was a Japanese game you'd have been screwed out of 100% if you decided to change the brightness setting

Glix

I really enjoy when I carjack a car with a passenger, and they just sit there screaming their heads off until I slow enough for them to jump out.

The jazz station is aces as well.

speedpop said:
Yes

That is very good news, kahsin.

I'm taking a bit of a break now, but
I'm still bit taken aback by how intense all that was. They really get you ingratiated to that area and your life there so when it's blown to shit, you're really off kilter.

But GOD BLESS Little Jacob. Fucking text messaging me just to see if I'm okay. A true fucking bradah.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Sato Koiji said:
Hidden packages in GTa 4? I think they have removed them completely. Am I right?Thus far I havent found any.

Pigeons are the new hidden packages...

I just got done playing for about an hour. It is incredible. After watching all these people play the game I thought driving was going to take some serious getting used to but it was about 1000x easier then I was led to believe, especially after just finishing GTA III. Maybe I'm so blown away by it so far because of the fact that I just replayed GTA III. I can really appreciate how far the game has come.

That all being said the single biggest improvement I've experienced so far is the Waypoint GPS system. Starting a new game of GTA has always been kind of intimidating. You were always just dumped in the middle of a city but now with the GPS system, you don't feel so lost early on in the game.

Now I need a gun so I can see how much the shooting has been improved. :D

speedpop

Sato Koiji said:
I think the red pigeons are now the hidden packages. I shot one at Central Park and it said something about rats, 99 more to find.

Top Bottom