• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Grand Theft Auto IV thread: The World Is Yours

Talladega Knight said:
Like Rockstar-made up stuff? Or actual shows?
Fucking Ricky Gervais does a stand up bit. It's all mock stuff, like the rest of the game.

This game. This fucking game. It's too fucking funny. TOO. Like seriously. I can't laugh anymore. It's just gone. I just sit back in fucking awe of how awesome it is.

Anyone know the name of the song that first plays when you get in the car with Roman at the start. I think it's German.

" Eins, Zwei, Drei...."

I am gonna put it on our company jukebox tomorrow to remind me of this great game.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8txk6EhYZKA

boco77

Banned
Anybody else thought the game looked too dark on the 360? i had to adjust brightness on the game. All my other games look fine.

bryehn

purg3 said:
How do you get into the wheelhouse on top of the Platypus boat? There is supposed to be an armor pickup there but I can't figure out how to get to it.

I can't figure it out either.

Stop It said:
Much Appreciated, and yeah, if anyone wants to play, just add the "GAF goes to LC" Gamertag and annoy the people in the friends of friends lists. :p

Who's got that tag? I'll send a friends request if there's room on there.

mileS

Holy shit... the craziest shit just happened after I tried to jack a car.

Pulled the guy out, he ran up and then pulled me out to take his car back, he tries to speed away and hits another car. I run up to him and get clipped by a car in the next lane. The guy who hits me gets out of his car, so I run up and start beating the crap out of him. About 3 seconds later the guy that tried to escape gets out of his car and starts helping the guy fight back. I'm still getting the hang of the hand to hand combat so i'm kinda getting worked by these 2 guys. So I decide to run, about 5 cars down the street there was a cop car there that seen these 2 guys beating on me. The cops get out and try to arrest them and bam one of them takes a pistol out and starts firing at the cops :lol

I have like no health left hiding behind a newspaper stand while I watch the cops get in a big shootout with this guy. He eventually just runs from the cops so they chase him on foot leaving the cop car for me to take!

hahha this game is crazy!

boco77 said:
Anybody else thought the game looked too dark on the 360? i had to adjust brightness on the game. All my other games look fine.

There's an in-game brightness option too. I think it only really gets dark in alleys at night after you've broken both headlights though. I think that's too cool to bother fidgetting with the brightness.

Atomspike

i'm 6 hours in and enjoying it somehow, but there are some technical issues that are getting in the way. as said before, the framerate is really bad , and the blurred heavily aliased background is no fun either , this game is definitely not 10/10 material .

Blader

mileS said:
Holy shit... the craziest shit just happened after I tried to jack a car.

Pulled the guy out, he ran up and then pulled me out to take his car back, he tries to speed away and hits another car. I run up to him and get clipped by a car in the next lane. The guy who hits me gets out of his car, so I run up and start beating the crap out of him. About 3 seconds later the guy that tried to escape gets out of his car and starts helping the guy fight back. I'm still getting the hang of the hand to hand combat so i'm kinda getting worked by these 2 guys. So I decide to run, about 5 cars down the street there was a cop car there that seen these 2 guys beating on me. The cops get out and try to arrest them and bam one of them takes a pistol out and starts firing at the cops :lol

I have like no health left hiding behind a newspaper stand while I watch the cops get in a big shootout with this guy. He eventually just runs from the cops so they chase him on foot leaving the cop car for me to take!

hahha this game is crazy!

Holy. Shit. This game is fucking awesome!!

Stuck early on.
First mission for Vlad, I have to find something to throw through the window so i was gonna throw a trashcan through...but I can't pick it up. What do I do?

boco77 said:

Ya I had to turn up the brightness a couple notches, and also increased the contrast a bit, looked slightly washed out. Now its vibrant and bright enough to see everything.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
WHOAguitarninja said:
First mission for Vlad, I have to find something to throw through the window so i was gonna throw a trashcan through...but I can't pick it up. What do I do?

use the brick. follow your map.

DaCocoBrova

Finally bought a new PSP, but then pushed the demon onto someone else. Jesus.
Controlling a motorcycle is nowhere near as fun as in GTA's passed... But damn do they look good!

This framerate is killing me though... I really hope the PC version turns out well.

Has anyone had any problems with the multiplayer? With that I mean I can get into a party with some people, but when someone else joins, another gets thrown out? Only happend with certain people.. :/ (Might be the firewall ports/NAT thing?)

purg3

slept with Malkin
WHOAguitarninja said:

There should be a junkyard looking place around the corner where you can pick up a brick.

Bojanglez

The Amiga Brotherhood
boco77 said:

Yeah I had to do this too (PS3 Version) initially all buildings in the background looked like shadows.

sinnergy

Atomspike said:
i'm 6 hours in and enjoying it somehow, but there are some technical issues that are getting in the way. as said before, the framerate is really bad , and the blurred heavily aliased background is no fun either , this game is definitely not 10/10 material .

No game on GAF is 10/10 material :lol

It's all about putting this game in the right context. Some of you should stop gaming if you can't.. seriously..

it's a freaking game! And a damn good looking sandbox game that is..

Weenerz

Banned
Agreed, motorcycles aren't as fun as VC. It took a few minutes to get the 500 foot wheelie achievement. :lol

Just killed
Vlad and I am now working for his bosses, and I finally found out why I came to America

Oh is
Michelle a cop?
. They come off as one with all the random things
she
asks.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Some of the dialog from random people is insane. :lol

*bumps a random fat guy while I'm running*
random fat guy: "Well pardon me you FUCKING FUCKFACE!"

Jeez. :lol

McBacon

SHOOTY McRAD DICK
Bojanglez said:
Anyone know the name of the song that first plays when you get in the car with Roman at the start. I think it's German.

" Eins, Zwei, Drei...."

I am gonna put it on our company jukebox tomorrow to remind me of this great game.

ZIT-555-0100

:p

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
What's the use of driving people around for Roman? Even though it's fun to keep cruising around the city listening to talk radio, these don't pay much and they just keep coming (have done about 10 now). Do they end at some point, is there a bigger reward for doing all of them?

chubigans said:
Some of the dialog from random people is insane. :lol

*bumps a random fat guy while I'm running*
random fat guy: "Well pardon me you FUCKING FUCKFACE!"

Jeez. :lol

The best guy I've seen so far is across the street from an apartment in Bohan. The most spot on insane guy since the blathering dude Wiggum tried to talk down in Bart Sells His Soul off nem Simpsons.

They must have recorded eighteen hours of his insane ranting. It's just amazing.

Downhome

X26 said:
Just got it and started playing, but I had to come in and say I FUCKING LOVE ROCKSTAR FOR NOT NEGLECTING SDTV OWNERS! Hud elements, text, everything is VERY readible, biggest fear is abolished.

:lol

I bought my first HDTV on Sunday just because of GTAIV and didn't want to have problems with it like I had with Dead Rising and other games like that.

Oh well, I guess I'm in the HDTV game now. :D

Kibbles

Dr_Cogent said:
The game should have a way of playing my own music.
Got a 360, or are you playing on PS3? If you have a 360 you can just play it from the guide menu. You still hear game sounds, minus the car radio since you have your music playing... at least in other games they do that.

Has anyone tried using classic controls yet? I think I might switch over if it doesn't mess with any of the new stuff. Holding down the trigger to accelerate all the time is starting to hurt my hand. Yes, I'm a weak, weak man.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Lakitu said:
I love this song. In fact I love that radio station, it's probably my favourite along with The Journey.

What stations do people listen to?

I love the two jazz stations. So great.

Lakitu said:
I love this song. In fact I love that radio station, it's probably my favourite along with The Journey.

What stations do people listen to?

I can't stop listening to The Beat, much as I try. That jernt with Jadakiss and Saigon is fucking uncredible.

vumpler

If You Can't Beat 'Em, Talk Shit About 'Em
Grrr. So for I am really not feeling the 10/10. It might be part because I'm not used to the series or how incredibly lax it is, but my god. I'm at the beginning so this isn't a spoiler but
At the first date when you're taking her to the fair. WTF? I was speeding and wrecking the whole time and she didn't even say anything the whole time? She's just completely coacher with me wrecking into everyone in HER car :lol and her blood pressure never even goes up.
how fucking stupid. I would rather that part of the game not be playable and be a cut scene. Their mix of completely unrealism and realism is poor. Somethings are incredibly sim like and other are so fucking arcadeish that the mix is hard to get used to.

The whole date was ackward. Minigames in soooo many othergames at least flow better with the story.
like while bowling? that whole thing was weird then she screams randomly "THIS.. IS.. IT!!!" like she's loving it or something? And when we were coming in I was sprinting and she's just sprinting along with me ON A DATE and carrying a full conversation.

I don't know what my expectations are but this isn't it so far.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
vumpler said:
Grrr. So for I am really not feeling the 10/10. It might be part because I'm not used to the series or how incredibly lax it is, but my god. I'm at the beginning so this isn't a spoiler but
At the first date when you're taking her to the fair. WTF? I was speeding and wrecking the whole time and she didn't even say anything the whole time? She's just completely coacher with me wrecking into everyone in HER car :lol and her blood pressure never even goes up.
how fucking stupid. I would rather that part of the game not be playable and be a cut scene. Their mix of completely unrealism and realism is poor. Somethings are incredibly sim like and other are so fucking arcadeish that the mix is hard to get used to.

The whole date was ackward. Minigames in soooo many othergames at least flow better with the story.
like while bowling? that whole thing was weird then she screams randomly "THIS.. IS.. IT!!!" like she's loving it or something? And when we were coming in I was sprinting and she's just sprinting along with me ON A DATE and carrying a full conversation.

I don't know what my expectations are but this isn't it so far.

That is SPOT ON GTA for ya. You get over it and enjoy it.

Honestly when I first heard cops weren't going to stop you for running lights I was like...that's not realistic. But after playing, yeah, that would have been horrible if they added that in.

"Hip Hop (Remix)" is the song by the way. Shoot everybody while listening to it and you're like...

:O
:D
-_-

(At the end you fall asleep because it was so dope you passed out.)

HOLY SHIT! I just had the best experience in a GTA Race game ever. Someone in last place blocked off the road ahead and I'm in the SuperGT or whatever it is called. I see and pedestrian car parked to the left of the street so I floor it and knick the right side of the parked car and launch myself over the blockade while doing a full 360 in the air, land and go driving off to win the race.

This is the best game ever!

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
chubigans said:
That is SPOT ON GTA for ya. You get over it and enjoy it.

Honestly when I first heard cops weren't going to stop you for running lights I was like...that's not realistic. But after playing, yeah, that would have been horrible if they added that in.

That's like the shit they were talking about in the Edge interview, where they had to be dissuaded from doing stuff like refilling gas, etc. in San Andreas. Yeah, I got over not getting ticketed for lane violations or jaywalking in the original GTA III.

Evlar

Banned
AstroLad said:
That's like the shit they were talking about in the Edge interview, where they had to be dissuaded from doing stuff like refilling gas, etc. in San Andreas. Yeah, I got over not getting ticketed for lane violations or jaywalking in the original GTA III.
Thank God there is no weight training in this game.

Onemic

Picked up my copy and got a free movie ticket as well, yay!

Just finished the first few minutes and its been great so far.

Jtrizzy

I'm about 6 hours in, and really like the game. I don't think it deserves a 10 though. I know it's open world, so the graphics aren't going to be great, but there are some pretty major flaws graphically.

Top Bottom