• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Grand Theft Auto IV thread: The World Is Yours

strikeselect

You like me, you really really like me!
Anyone else getting unwanted movement?

I stop pressing the stick forward yet Niko keeps walking.

Stick sensitivity is waaay to high, they're gonna have to patch this

X26

Banned
Darunia said:
Yeah same here. I wonder where this relationship is going :p What I do notice is that the smalltalk is evolving: she's asking me about my work, Nico says he's tired, can't answer... Dates are getting boring now: event + shag afterwards, but it's leading nowhere. I hope Michelle has a purpose.

question!

Ivan the not so terrible mission spoiler

so, did you guys
kill him or let him live? I accidentally killed him and now I find out he hands out a mission later :(, ah well

firs time doing that mission I fell off the edge at the very end when given the choice and died :(

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
My favorite radio station so far is the right wing talk radio and the russian station hosted by none other than Slutlana.

tbh I get chills whenever a song from the trailers/commercials comes up while I'm in the middle of doing a mission. Especially the King Ring song, so badass

X26 said:
firs time doing that mission I fell off the edge at the very end when given the choice and died :(

Talking about that, I had an insane bug: I jumped off a building, but instead of landing on the other one, I fell through it, all went green around me, Niko kept falling into game twilight zone, then suddenly he pops up alive and well on the street.

WTF

Son of Godzilla said:
Favorite moment so far:

Carjacking a dumpster only to find the radio set to Jazz Nation and the DJ going on about how refined his taste is.

I've had two great Radio moments.

I jacked the bike of a hardcore Biker Gang Biker and the Ambient station was playing.
I jacked the wagon of an old granny and L.C.H.C. was playing.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
Revolutionary said:
There's a filter in the options where you can make it more 360-like (not as soft).

Where is this option? All I'm seeing is Contrast, Brightness, Saturation and some HUD settings.

BlueTsunami said:
Where is this option? All I'm seeing is Contrast, Brightness, Saturation and some HUD settings.
I forget what it was called but it's an On/Off setting.. I think I remember it being second to last in the options

The game is awesome, if only because they got Karl Lagerfeld to be one of the DJ's. I can't believe he agreed to it! Seriously though, they've really streamlined the missions. I've done 7-8 so far and they don't seem nearly as frustrating or random as the ones in previous GTA games. I love the characters too. Getting drunk with Roman is hilarious and then not having a cab stop for you was just like real life!

Stop It

Perfectly able to grasp the inherent value of the fishing game.
BlueTsunami said:

I would imagine its Saturation, as it has the effect on 360 of making the game "warmer" or "colder" depending on where you put it, anyway....I'm looking for the subtext here......hmm....

*runs*
Revolutionary said:
I forget what it was called but it's an On/Off setting.. I think I remember it being second to last in the options
Or maybe not, not aware of such a setting in the 360 version, whatever it is.
slaughterking said:
The filter on/off option should be available for SDTVs only.
Oh.

calder

PS3 online has been up for a bit now, I played multi for a half hour or so.

Kinda meh right now, it runs well and I had no lag but no one knows how to play. And worse, for the more unique game types I kept joining lobbies to see 10 ppl there waiting while the host fucked around with settings then decided to wait for 6 more ppl, then a few left, then a few joined, then ppl started bitching about starting the match already, then a few "kick player" votes start on the host, then the host leaves.... I think I'll give the online community a few days to figure out what's fun. :lol The DM games are fast and shallowly fun but I'm much more interested in the other GTA modes.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
slaughterking said:
The filter on/off option should be available for SDTVs only.

Ouch. Ok then. The game definitely seems blurry to me, if its an added effect, wish I could turn it off.

Turning the Saturation down did help a bit

calder said:

Kinda meh right now, it runs well and I had no lag but no one knows how to play. And worse, for the more unique game types I kept joining lobbies to see 10 ppl there waiting while the host fucked around with settings then decided to wait for 6 more ppl, then a few left, then a few joined, then ppl started bitching about starting the match already, then a few "kick player" votes start on the host, then the host leaves.... I think I'll give the online community a few days to figure out what's fun. :lol The DM games are fast and shallowly fun but I'm much more interested in the other GTA modes.
I still cant get multiplayer working, and I have to work soon. :/ lame

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
So, you can do Vigilante missions right?
Is there a list of all those types of missions you can do?

And do people shoot your tires out?

Also, the interference your phone causes to the radio is genius.

Dot50Cal

Banned
Hot damn! It pays to be Jacobs friend :)

eEmoVdpOF.jpg

Hunter D

I've had the game since 12:30 est but haven't played it yet because I've been out all day. If you did not preorder this game and plan to pick it up in the evening you most likely will have to wait until the second shipment. 2 of my cousins and a friend could not find a copy anywhere.

calder said:

I only played Cops n Crooks which was a blast.

calder

Grimm Fandango said:
I only played Cops n Crooks which was a blast.
That's exactly the mode I keep trying, it sounds so awesome. I'll give it another try in a bit, eventually some host somewhere will actually try to start the game instead of arguing and waiting and finally leaving in a huff. I'm going to look around for the option to choose to host a match.

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
I love that random crackhead that hangs around the first safehouse, I don't remember stuff like that in the old ones. There just seems like there's so much more to do (or maybe just feels more open ended) than before.

Revolutionary said:
I found a green blip on my radar earlier today, turned out to be some "young and rich" college student who just gave me a $100 bill and walked off.

The hell? lol

Yeah, that's the dude I'm talking about, hope there's more with him (I've encountered him twice), and more characters that you can randomly find throughout the game.

I found a green blip on my radar earlier today, turned out to be some "young and rich" college student who just gave me a $100 bill and walked off.

The hell? lol

womfalcs3

Banned
Wow. I've played for about an hour so far.

Memorizing Liberty City is going to be a pain. Much more difficult than the previous GTA's.

I know the old GTAs' maps as if I designed them. This is going to be tough.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
I take it guns from li'l Jacob are a lot cheaper than those in gun stores?

bowling question! is there an easy and sure fire way to get strikes? I keep trying to get the Turkey achievement, but I've only managed to get 2 in a row, seems like it's based on pure luck sometimes.

Have you guys tried out the arcade machine with the puzzle game yet? Beaten the highscore already, it's pretty fun

Revolutionary said:

The hell? lol

He pops up later too, did a mission for him just now.

Speevy

Banned
I'm sort of new to this series (only messed around in Vice City on a rental), but why are there mission failures for things you do outside the main objective? Good grief, I fail for not getting to my car in time when there's no reason (in the game) to get to my car in time?

Love the game but (please dont hurt me) it has yet to hook me like SA did. Again its very very early, my opinions change as I play, I just think that 7 hours in I am not as pleased as I was with SA at that same point. I should let you know that I think SA is the best GTA game and one of the best of all time.

Regardless GTA4 is amazing so far. The level of detail continues to blow me away. The story and characters are very much improved (thanks to the cell phone). Additions of TV and internet provide hours of hilarious entertainment. I have yet to touch multiplayer which is what will probably push me over the edge with this game. Absolutly incredible so far.

chespace

It's not actually trolling if you don't admit it
Hey, is there a way to play those mini-games like pool and bowling with friends online?

Or is there a way to go indoors at all in multiplayer?

A little disappointed here since we tried looking for it and couldn't find it just now. :(

jaaz

Trax416 said:
It's super dark for my on my Sharp Aquos. It also looks horrible when you sit very close to the screen (use mine as a monitor also).

Also, when it's high noon, all the colours of the cars and buildings almost vanish and it's very faded looking.

Agreed. Especially the noon part. It looked like I had turned down the Color setting.

I also have a 60 inch Sony SXRD in the living room, which I will try later on tonight, along with the multi-channel audio. Perhaps it will look better there.

Xabora

VideoMan said:
Now this is how you drive, gentlemen.

img0683na0.png

Came up over a hill going about 100mph, went airborne, hit the corner of a van and started barrel rolling, after about the third roll panicked and bailed out, found my car like this.

(apologies for the bad picture quality)
Fix'd

eXistor

Being drunk in this game rocks :lol

It's so funny watching Roman and Niko stumble across the pavement, falling down 'n shit. The effect is really well done as well. Loving the game so far. I have to say that for all its improvemtent it's still basically the same game, which is not necessarily a bad thing, but I kinda expected it to feel more unique. I'm still on the first island though, so it may all change.

skip

Revolutionary said:

The hell? lol

keep your eye out for those throughout the game.

Stop It

Perfectly able to grasp the inherent value of the fishing game.
chespace said:
Hey, is there a way to play those mini-games like pool and bowling with friends online?

Or is there a way to go indoors at all in multiplayer?

A little disappointed here since we tried looking for it and couldn't find it just now. :(
I was under the impression that it was possible in Free Play mode, but whenever I play it, it turns into a murder fest so I cannot test it.

Stop It said:
I was under the impression that it was possible in Free Play mode, but whenever I play it, it turns into a murder fest so I cannot test it.

I'm not sure how the beer garden works since I'm not that far in the story but when I go inside in free mode, there's nothing to do.

cameltoe

lol...I did not preorder the game and simply walked into Gamecrazy this morning and picked it up....they had a shit load! For both systems...

acevans2

Not able to connect to online (PS3). This is pretty lame. SP is amazing though. I just want to see the leaderboards and try the online modes.

Well I've put about an hour and a half in so far. And so far, I'm not really liking it. Only the problems seem to stand out right about now. The game is really dark for me, yet I've boosted the brightness completely. Graphics seem kinda blurry, and hand to hand combat feels slow and clunky. It also doesn't help that I prefer the colorful setting of Vice city. I guess I just need more time.

Gowans

just been playing for the last few hours, done a mix of Online and the Single Player.

Really love it! i need to sleep now but I'm so tempted to start up the game again for just another quick go.

I love the single player, Jacob has got to be my fave character (bar Nico) in the game so far.

Love the online cops & crooks mode and the general dicking around.
So happy it has a party system tho the menu system can be a little confusing (I still have to work out how to take the party out of a game with me)

Also where are the co-op online games I can't find them?

strikeselect

You like me, you really really like me!
I've only played for about half an hour but I can say this..

This game does not deserve a 10.

The "paint" filter is ugly and annoying, the movement stick is WAY too sensitive, and the camera is shit. Not as bad as super mario sunshine but it's pretty fucking irritating having to adjust it when running/walking and driving.

Great game sure but from what I've played so far, it's not screaming 10.

EDIT: Oh and the framrate is FUCKING SHIT. This is the reason they delayed it?!

Oscar worthy??

cough, cough....

Painful female voice acting going on here in the first few hours..............

Good game but graphically a blurry mess.

No way a 10 but a fine game.

Jirotrom

weedlewalker said:
Oscar worthy??

cough, cough....

Painful female voice acting going on here in the first few hours..............

Good game but graphically a blurry mess.

No way a 10 but a fine game.
its a filter... hater

Top Bottom