• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Grand Theft Auto IV thread: The World Is Yours

Iceman

WrikaWrek said:
Guy runs me over with his car and has the nerve to call me "Filho da puta".

I don't exactly condone swearing, particularly in my native tongue, but the guy probably said "hijo de puta." (son of a bitch in spanish)

still, can't wait to try the game out.

I don't think it's too much to ask to suspend your disbelief a bit for fun's sake.

The sound of the car radio when you get out is so great. It's nice and clear when the doors open and muffled when the door is closed. So much attention to detail.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Evlar said:
Thank God there is no weight training in this game.

:lol yeah I actually liked San Andreas the best, but the grinding stuff really added very little to the game. Reminded me of Quest for Glory grinding or something. /out-of-nowhere reference

vumpler

If You Can't Beat 'Em, Talk Shit About 'Em
Spy said:
People want the Grand Theft Auto series to be extremely realistic?

mindstatus.gif
Well either 1) be realistic or 2) don't be realistic. Don't be realistic on "some" things and then completely forget about everything else.

Raven1907

boco77 said:
Anybody else thought the game looked too dark on the 360? i had to adjust brightness on the game. All my other games look fine.

yeah i upped it a couple notches both contrast and brightness.

vumpler

If You Can't Beat 'Em, Talk Shit About 'Em
Felix Lighter said:
I don't think it's too much to ask to suspend your disbelief a bit for fun's sake.

The sound of the car radio when you get out is so great. It's nice and clear when the doors open and muffled when the door is closed. So much attention to detail.
I agree. I keep trying to get over it but its annoying the piss out of me. I like the characters so far so I'm gonna grind through it. Hopefully it gets fun for me soon.

Kevtones

Enjoying it so far, game looks nice. I just got killed by some cops for...DRUNK DRIVING :lol and it was IN my 'safehouse'.

BTW I worked the midnight sale last night, we sold:

96 Xbox360 copies
25 PS3 copies

Dot50Cal

Banned
So what exactly do girlfriends do? I've had Michelle at 100% for a long time now and I'm not getting anything out of it. Is it just a pointless side thing, with no reward?

BenjaminBirdie said:
"Hip Hop (Remix)" is the song by the way. Shoot everybody while listening to it and you're like...

:O
:D
-_-

(At the end you fall asleep because it was so dope you passed out.)
War Is Necessary > Hip Hop Remix

...mostly because War Is Necessary is new. lol

But yeah, I can't stop listening to the Beat either. It's like Hot 97 back in the day (real hip-hop)... love it!

Defcon

Banned
Dot50Cal said:
So what exactly do girlfriends do? I've had Michelle at 100% for a long time now and I'm not getting anything out of it. Is it just a pointless side thing, with no reward?

Yeah, I think it is. I had her put out after the 3rd date and haven't really bothered with her much since then.

WrikaWrek

Banned
Being drunk in this game sucks major balls.

It gives you an headache faster than the real thing.

Dot50Cal said:

All i can say to you is...you go to a Cafe Net thing, you log in. You go to the love date site, and you search for the chick that is into law, and the chick that's a nurse.

You date it, you tap it, and...you will like the outcomes.

Revolutionary said:
War Is Necessary > Hip Hop Remix

...mostly because War Is Necessary is new. lol

But yeah, I can't stop listening to the Beat either. It's like Hot 97 back in the day (real hip-hop)... love it!

Totally! And like a classic (but not DJ Primo classic, he's actually DJing 'Classic' ;D) set, cutting up the song intro a bit.

Fucking great stuff. Like a DJ Revolution mix from back in the day.

jaaz

Wow, the game (PS3) sure is dark on the default setting, at least on my LCD Bravia. Still messing around with the picture settings.

Graphics look great at times on some streets at some times, but not so great on others. 1080p upscaled looks better to me than 720p initially, but I need to play more on 720p to be sure.

dabookerman said:
Holy fuck.

Rain + Thunder + Night = holy shit.

Man, I'm 16 hours in and still haven't experienced a thunder storm. Or picked up a hooker, or gone to a strip club, played darts, seen a cabaret, played pool, done vigilante missions, gone on an e-date, bought a ringtone, played multiplayer... there is just so fucking much stuff in this game. best $60 i ever spent.

jaaz said:
Graphics look great at times on some streets at some times, but not so great on others. 1090p upscaled looks better to me than 720p initially, but I need to play more on 720p to be sure.

10P more than 360 upscaling, impressive!

Edit: fast edit ;)

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Dot50Cal said:

Yeah same here. I wonder where this relationship is going :p What I do notice is that the smalltalk is evolving: she's asking me about my work, Nico says he's tired, can't answer... Dates are getting boring now: event + shag afterwards, but it's leading nowhere. I hope Michelle has a purpose.

question!

Ivan the not so terrible mission spoiler

so, did you guys
kill him or let him live? I accidentally killed him and now I find out he hands out a mission later :(, ah well

Darunia said:
Yeah same here. I wonder where this relationship is going :p What I do notice is that the smalltalk is evolving: she's asking me about my work, Nico says he's tired, can't answer... Dates are getting boring now: event + shag afterwards, but it's leading nowhere. I hope Michelle has a purpose.

Where do you see these "Percentages"?

MaizeRage25 said:
I don't think anyone should state whether or not they think it is a 10 before they finish the damn game.

I agree. From what I've seen of the story so far, I get the impression that the resolution is going to be really mindblowing. The story is such a huge cut above the previous games.

Duress

Darunia said:

question!

Ivan the not so terrible mission spoiler

so, did you guys
kill him or let him live? I accidentally killed him and now I find out he hands out a mission later :(, ah well

I did, just because he ran so much.

VideoMan

30% Failure Rate
Now this is how you drive, gentlemen.

IMG_0683.jpg

Came up over a hill going about 100mph, went airborne, hit the corner of a van and started barrel rolling, after about the third roll panicked and bailed out, found my car like this.

(apologies for the bad picture quality)

Stop It

Perfectly able to grasp the inherent value of the fishing game.
vumpler said:
I agree. I keep trying to get over it but its annoying the piss out of me. I like the characters so far so I'm gonna grind through it. Hopefully it gets fun for me soon.
(neutral) vumpler
Perchases games to justify his trolling.
(Today, 10:38 PM)
Reply | Quote

Wat. Your avatar doesn't help your cause, if you don't enjoy a game, don't play it, simple, but that said, what the fuck were you expecting? GTA 4 is GTA through and through, and if you haven't played any of the series and didn't know what to expect you're doing it WRONG.

If some people here at GAF is to be believed, the Graphics are either average or worse (LOL), the driving sucks (If people cannot understand that bricks like old taxis handle like bricks, they need a headslap), the soundtrack sucks (Ok...), the gameplay isn't realistic enough and the story based events don't make sense, BRILLIANT.

God damnit I would hate to see you guys play an actually bad game, well, it might give you "perfectionist" fuckers some damn perspective!

Edit: Lol Videoman, some of the crash physics are epic, Euphoria has lived up to its hype, somehow.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
BenjaminBirdie said:
Where do you see these "Percentages"?

date percentages? stats, then misc. to see how Michelle likes you. There are other percentages in other categories for missions. For example I got a 100% friendship and 100% respect from Roman

MaizeRage25 said:
I don't think anyone should state whether or not they think it is a 10 before they finish the damn game.

Fucking A. All this nattering on about framerates and aliasing and all this fucking bullshit when the gameplay experience and narrative is truly fucking unparalleled.

It's like reading Crime & Punishment and saying, "Eh, it's not that great of a book. The type was so small and made it hard to read! Those know-nothing critics know nothing!!"

G-Bus

Banned
When I try and get into multi-player it says "unable to connect to provider, please try again later"

Whats the deal, I wanted to play some cops n crooks :(

PS3 version.

edit - <3 Niko. Such an awesome story so far.

G-Bus said:
When I try and get into multi-player it says "unable to connect to provider, please try again later"

PS3 version.
PS3 multi is down for a bit. Will more than likely be back later today, if not soon.

Dot50Cal

Banned
How about friends, like Jacob? I seen on the "friends" intro, it showed him (or at least his character model) with a trunk full of guns, hinting that he'd sell me good weapons if I got him to 100%. So any use to getting that up to 100%?

Dot50Cal said:
How about friends, like Jacob? I seen on the "friends" intro, it showed him (or at least his character model) with a trunk full of guns, hinting that he'd sell me good weapons if I got him to 100%. So any use to getting that up to 100%?
I think that's his "perk", like Roman's is the cab service.

duk

Banned
G-Bus said:

PS3 version.

someone stoled all the servers

Dot50Cal said:

The best friend a guy ask for? Always sending a text just to see how you're doing? Because he heard shit was rough lately?

Y'all are some materialistic people, I swear.

;D

G-Bus said:

PS3 version.
There's your problem. :p But seriously, it looks like Rockstar servers are down for the PS3 version. Stuff like this usually happen with new game releases and everyone wants to get on at once.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Dot50Cal said:

I think it's a good idea to get any friend to 100% or close. Most of them probably unlock perks when you do, so it's a good idea to keep them on your side

Blackface

Banned
jaaz said:
Wow, the game (PS3) sure is dark on the default setting, at least on my LCD Bravia. Still messing around with the picture settings.

Graphics look great at times on some streets at some times, but not so great on others. 1080p upscaled looks better to me than 720p initially, but I need to play more on 720p to be sure.

It's super dark for my on my Sharp Aquos. It also looks horrible when you sit very close to the screen (use mine as a monitor also).

Also, when it's high noon, all the colours of the cars and buildings almost vanish and it's very faded looking.

Niko is such an awesome character. He comes off as a nice funny guy just trying to learn a new city on the surface but you can tell underneath that he's dangerous as hell. The few bush league thugs I ran into so far seem to sense that Niko is a bad ass even though he doesn't outwardly show it unless he has to. So great.

Felix Lighter said:
Niko is such an awesome character. He comes off as a nice funny guy just trying to learn a new city on the surface but you can tell underneath that he's dangerous as hell. The few bush league thugs I ran into so far seem to sense that Niko is a bad ass even though he doesn't outwardly show it unless he has to. So great.

He's so good. So genuinely funny. He's got depth.

And he's got his own style.

I love the dude.

Top Bottom