• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Grand Theft Auto IV thread: The World Is Yours

Doc Evils

my problem with the game is that they made the cars in GTA4 handle like boats. It fucking sucks trying to drive away from cops when you turn corners like a whale.

Defcon

Banned
dralla said:
When I want to save do I need to go back to the safe house? I noticed after multiple auto-saves I went to the safehouse and it said no data present

It auto saves after every mission completed. I guess if you aren't doing missions and want your progress manually saved, do it at the safehouse.

Doc Evils said:
my problem with the game is that they made the cars in GTA4 handle like boats. It fucking sucks trying to drive away from cops when you turn corners like a whale.

It does take a while to get used to the handling, but once you do it's not that bad. I can escape the cops pretty easily.

Evlar

Banned
Talladega Knight said:
So what's this I hear about TV shows in the game? Seriously??
Yes, seriously. Evidently it's damn good, haven't watched anything myself.

And there's an impressively large fake internet, too.

TTG

Doc Evils said:

How far in the game are you? I played maybe an hour so far, and yes, Roman's car handles like shit, but it's suppose to.

WrikaWrek

Banned
The cars handle just fine, much better than previous games. Now they actually have a sense of weight to them, before they felt like card boxes that no matter what speed you drove at you could always make a perfect turn with the handbrake.

And that my friends, was pure bullshit.

AMUSIX

GTA4 sucks...Totally, royally sucks....complete piece of shit that didn't adhere to Microsoft's standard...way to go....

there is no attract reel, this only affects my in-store presentation

mileS

Eric WK said:
Over two hours worth. And it's incredibly compelling.

I just watched Bas Rutten for the first time on the TV. OMFG :lol :lol my stomach hurts from laughing so hard.

GOTY confirmed.

Stop It

Perfectly able to grasp the inherent value of the fishing game.
Ok, this game continues to outstand me:
The first moral choice was well done, either you kick someone to their death, or spare them, I saw no reason to do the former, so I saved his life, I may not be so forgiving in future.

Also, does the post processing change depending on the context? because I am POSITIVE the game went pale (Like a filter removing all warmth and redness etc) during the mission "Uncle Vlad" as I was driving to find him, it was really, really eerie, and if intentional, was very clever. The actual mission itself was quite shocking, you get the option to do an "execution" style killing, which, frankly, I wish I didn't do now, as it was violent as hell, yet somehow fitted in perfectly with feeling of the game, sorry lad.

Oh, and Darts is awesome, yet a bit easy, Bowling is too, and is far from easy, aftertouch is a beast! :p

After Crackdown I have to admit I'm missing climbing all over buildings and jumping on anything and everything I could find. You can kind of still do it in GTAIV, but it's definitely not as thrilling. I wish there were more hidden things on top of buildings and alleys to encourage finding every nook and cranny to the city. Agility Orbs FTW! (It is cool finding a bat or a new weapon, though). That stuff makes exploring all the more fun.

Stop It

WrikaWrek said:
Guy runs me over with his car and has the nerve to call me "Filho da puta".

Amazing. People in Liberty City are friendly hey?
Yeah, I have had a scary amount of people who have run me over, then swear at me about it, excellent. Also, carjacking with a pistol doesn't seem to scare people it seems, they willingly grant you their cars, then gain a second wind and try to take it back, either that or call the cozzers on you, very fun.
MaizeRage25 said:
Damn, I'm really trying to take my time with this game. Do not want it to end anytime soon.
Indeed, on that note, fancy a bit of cops vs crooks again later? I forgot to add your GT but I will do next time I log on.

Bojanglez

The Amiga Brotherhood
I have only watched two TV shows: The Mens Room and Ricky Gervais Live at Side spiltters.

I was a bit disappointed that the Ricky Gervais set wasn't new material, maybe when I actually go to the club it will be?

The Mens Room show was pretty funny with a psychopath host and some gay dude.

Frenck

Banned
I also love how they use
Red Dead Revolver
and
San Andreas
footage for some of the commercials. I just arrived in the GTA equivalent of Manhattan and I don't know where to go first. I'm like paralyzed because there are so many things to explore at the same time on one screen.

Stop It said:
Indeed, on that note, fancy a bit of cops vs crooks again later? I forgot to add your GT but I will do next time I log on.

I'm down for some MP action later tonite for anyone that wants to get a GAF game going. I'll send you a FR.

CrapSandwich

former Navy SEAL
The driving was the second thing I noticed about the game and it's going to take some adjusting, but it's fucking awesome. It's very simmy, the cars have a lot of weight, and it's got a very realistic feel to it. I likey.

Cheeto

MaizeRage25 said:
Also, if anyone wants an easy way to get 4 Stars, go out and drive on the Airport runway. The cops do no appreciate that.
:lol I did that the other day. I thought I could fly one of the 747s.

Frenck

Banned
ezekial45 said:
Does the game have multiple save files like the previous games?

Yes, works almost exactly like in the old games. You have to be careful not to miss any appointments or activities as saving in your apartment costs you a couple of hours (6 hours if I remember correctly).

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Oh, that sucks. I guess I will spend a lot of time sitting in a parking lot listening to the talk radio.

Bojanglez

The Amiga Brotherhood
Anyone know the name of the song that first plays when you get in the car with Roman at the start. I think it's German.

" Eins, Zwei, Drei...."

I am gonna put it on our company jukebox tomorrow to remind me of this great game.

verio

WrikaWrek said:
The cars handle just fine, much better than previous games. Now they actually have a sense of weight to them, before they felt like card boxes that no matter what speed you drove at you could always make a perfect turn with the handbrake.

And that my friends, was pure bullshit.

Agree. The handling is a bit tough it get used to, but I think it's great.

belvedere

Junior Butler
So is there anyway to adjust the screen settings? I'm getting awful overscan issues and during my short playtime with the game last night didn't see an in-game option to adjust the screen placement.

Stop It

MaizeRage25 said:
I'm down for some MP action later tonite for anyone that wants to get a GAF game going. I'll send you a FR.
Much Appreciated, and yeah, if anyone wants to play, just add the "GAF goes to LC" Gamertag and annoy the people in the friends of friends lists. :p

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Ninja Kn1ght said:
I love the TV show "I'm Rich" That's hilarious, such a great parody of the "Fabulous Life" shows.

So good.

Even better if later in the story you cross paths with the people in that show, when you've worked your way up..could be funny :D

purg3

slept with Malkin
How do you get into the wheelhouse on top of the Platypus boat? There is supposed to be an armor pickup there but I can't figure out how to get to it.

Top Bottom