• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Grand Theft Auto IV thread: The World Is Yours

Teknoman

Jackl said:
Slowing down isn't the problem, speeding up is. Couple of the cars go from 0-60 in...never. Sucks for chase missions.

Eh the cars i've taken, BMW and Mercades clones/ muscle cars, blast off pretty fast. Put the pedal to the...ahh just press accelerate really hard.

Anyone have game setting tips for the PS3 version?

I really don't like the vasoline look to be honest with you. Has anyone tried fixing the problem:

- by increasing the sharpness on their TV? Mine is set at 0. Is that fine?

-Did anyone turn the brightness level to max in the game settings?

-What about contrast? My TV setting has it at 90. Should I leave the contrast level in the game setting at where it is?

I have an LCD btw. ANY tips would be great for people that changed their settings.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
Tiktaalik said:
What happens if I beat the shit out of michelle?
Well I threw a flaming bottle on the first date, she ran away. It wasn't even at her. /sigh, women.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Am I the only one who got used to the driving fairly quickly? I never played much of the games in the III-family, so I didn't have an expectation preset beforehand or anything. I get by most of the turns by letting go of the gas in due time and then I pull the brakes. I only use the hand brake when I do a 180 in cop chases

Tiktaalik said:
What happens if I beat the shit out of michelle?
You just fail the mission, I'd imagine. I beat the shit out of the car, and I failed. It just sent me back to the apartment and played a cutscene. I wonder what the cutscene would be for beating the shit out of her.

"ehhh sorry about beating the shit out of you Michelle. call ya later?"

*Replay mission?*

And yeah, the driving isn't that bad. But once again, maybe the recent Crackdown playtime affects my judgment. :lol

Truelize

Steroid Distributor
We need a thread for amazing things that people have seen happen in the game.

I was walking down the street and heard an accident happen behind me. I turn around and see a car speeding off. I go inspect the car that was hit and both the driver and passenger are slumped over dead.
Cool.
I walked over to the driver side, opened the door and the driver slides outta the car onto the road.
Whoa.
I figured I might as well take the car for ride. I get in and take off. I build up a good amount of speed and take a left hand e-brake turn. All of a sudden the passenger door pops open and the dead passenger gets thrown from the car. He does a couple of rolls and slams into the curb.
HOLY CRAP.
Several people walking on the sidewalk scream. Several others grab their cellphones and then I hear sirens.
Haha. :lol

Most incredible thing I have ever seen in a game. I even heard some of the witnesses talking about how the guy came from my car etc...

elseanio

Jason's Ultimatum said:
Anyone have game setting tips for the PS3 version?

I really don't like the vasoline look to be honest with you. Has anyone tried fixing the problem:

- by increasing the sharpness on their TV? Mine is set at 0. Is that fine?

-Did anyone turn the brightness level to max in the game settings?

-What about contrast? My TV setting has it at 90. Should I leave the contrast level in the game setting at where it is?

I have an LCD btw. ANY tips would be great for people that changed their settings.

I've had my settings on my bravia the same since I had my ps3, but also have had to change them for this game. I'll post her tomorrow what I set em to. I know I turned the colour up, sharpness down on tv settings, brightness up on the game settings.

arena08

Is anyone else having problems with the PS3 version crashing? I seem to be playing for about an hour every time and then the framerate grinds down to 0 and eventually it freezes and shuts down. Should i phone sony and have my PS3 replaced? it doesnt happen on any other games i have. Its only 2 weeks old too..

Teknoman

PirateSean said:
Any way to turn SPEECH up (when people phone you)

So many times now someone called me whilst my radio is blasting, cars honking, and sirens.. wooing.. that I don't catch what the caller is saying (resorted to putting subtitles on)

Options menu. Turn it to where things dim out when characters are having a conversation.

Tiktaalik

I'm pretty sure my favourite thing to do in this game is just to run into people that are carrying things and make them drop stuff.

PirateSean said:
I've had my settings on my bravia the same since I had my ps3, but also have had to change them for this game. I'll post her tomorrow what I set em to. I know I turned the colour up, sharpness down on tv settings, brightness up on the game settings.

I've always had sharpness down to zero for my TV setting. As for color, I have my TV setting at 50 and I had to turn down the color in the game settings a notch.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
I will say that I had crackdown withdrawal in the on foot sections. mashing A to get Niko to achieve top speed isn't something you wanna do all day. I haven't looked around for pigeons/hidden stuff yet because being on foot simply is the least fun part of the game. Plus I always feel the need to get on top of buildings to get an overview and that's not possible/easy with most of them

Odrion

Banned
Tiktaalik said:
I'm pretty sure my favourite thing to do in this game is just to run into people that are carrying things and make them drop stuff.
Oh man me too.

Anyone else reminded of Reservoir Dogs when they shoot through the windshield glass?

TxdoHawk

I have an amusing co-op mission story to share. This involves the "Deal Breaker" mission and goes into the objectives, so if you haven't played it yet, don't read.

So, me and three other guys.

In the first part, we shoot up the multi-level building with no problem. Two guys die once.

Then we start chasing down the sets of escaping bikers. I go after the set in the van, while the others chase after the set in the boat.
One death later, I take down the van, but two of the guys have dropped. So, I head to the water to find a boat to help.

As I'm chasing down the boat I come across my remaining co-op partner...swimming after them, I guess because he couldn't find a boat. :lol
So I pick him up. We take two aggressive passes at the escape boat, lighting it up completely, and then he drives us drive back to the end point to beat the mission. Saving the day for the win!

more playtime compounds the fact that this really feels like previous GTA's...still, the story adds an extra dimension...hopefully Niko's character continues to develop a little and keep a slight amount of ambiguity...otherwise it could get tedious.

One the whole I am enjoying it, the city especially just has fantastic variety. Considering the scale of the game I have no real complaints about the graphics. This is the first game in the series that has genuinely impressed me on that count

WrikaWrek

Banned
Get a hooker in the car, when i start bangin her, what pops up in the radio?

MY MIND IS TELLING ME NOOOOOO
BUT MY BODY
MYYY BOOODDYYYY
IS TELLING ME YEEEEEAAAHHHH

I SEE NOTHING WRONG
WITH A LITTLE BUMP AND GRIND

:lol :lol

Oh and, then i took a turn around the corner and there was this dude picking himself a ho, i've been following him since.

Odrion

Banned
Darunia said:
I will say that I had crackdown withdrawal in the on foot sections. mashing A to get Niko to achieve top speed isn't something you wanna do all day. I haven't looked around for pigeons/hidden stuff yet because being on foot simply is the least fun part of the game. Plus I always feel the need to get on top of buildings to get an overview and that's not possible/easy with most of them
It is annoying that I need to hold down a button to avoid WALKING LIKE AN SLOW OLD DICK.

But it's not that bad and it does make you less clumsy.

Teknoman

Some of you guys seem like you're new to GTA or spoiled by Crackdown. Newflash: You wanted a more realistic serious GTA, you got it.

Jirotrom said:
I haven't noticed this...

Me either. The only theme i've seen in this game is immigrants trying to come up in the states.

Also how does the game look horrible? Maybe it looks different in 720p on a CRT than an LCD, because from where I am, its not OMG breathtaking, but its pretty damn nice.

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
Truelize said:
We need a thread for amazing things that people have seen happen in the game.

I was walking down the street and heard an accident happen behind me. I turn around and see a car speeding off. I go inspect the car that was hit and both the driver and passenger are slumped over dead.
Cool.
I walked over to the driver side, opened the door and the driver slides outta the car onto the road.
Whoa.
I figured I might as well take the car for ride. I get in and take off. I build up a good amount of speed and take a left hand e-brake turn. All of a sudden the passenger door pops open and the dead passenger gets thrown from the car. He does a couple of rolls and slams into the curb.
HOLY CRAP.
Several people walking on the sidewalk scream. Several others grab their cellphones and then I hear sirens.
Haha. :lol

Most incredible thing I have ever seen in a game. I even heard some of the witnesses talking about how the guy came from my car etc...
That's awesome :lol You can tell it's gonna be full of surprises.

I pushed a guy who dropped his groceries everywhere, then started following me and starting on me. I just ignored him, and even when some other guy pulled up in a car and joined in I didn't throw any punches...

Then some passing po-po put on his lights and two cops had a go at the two guys - the second guy didn't resist and was taken away in the car, while the other guy started throwing punches at on one of the cops and got chased down the street!

All the while Nico minds his own business. Liberty City is amazing :D

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Fuck. :lol

Am I doing something wrong or is it hard to hail a taxi and get in as a passenger? I swear half the time they pull over, I hit Y to get in, and instead Niko steals it.

guise

xbhaskarx said:
After Crackdown, walking or running from place to place in GTA is slightly painful.

I suck at driving, in crackdown i used to run everywhere :lol

I'm playing 720p on a 26" TV... is it my eyes, TV settings or the game which is causing me to not be able to read some of the text / see the radar clearly

Papercuts said:

Am I doing something wrong or is it hard to hail a taxi and get in as a passenger? I swear half the time they pull over, I hit Y to get in, and instead Niko steals it.

Hold Y

TheQueen'sOwn

insert blank space here
Graphics are ok. They did a really great job on car textures. I don't like the overall picture quality though (I had no issues with Uncharted, Heavenly Sword, etc. etc.).
Gameplay is standard GTA fare but the world seems much more alive this time.
Before playing multiplayer (I can't connect): 9.2/10

B-Genius said:
That's awesome :lol You can tell it's gonna be full of surprises.

I pushed a guy who dropped his groceries everywhere, then started following me and starting on me. I just ignored him, and even when some other guy pulled up in a car and joined in I didn't throw any punches...

Then some passing po-po put on his lights and two cops had a go at the two guys - the second guy didn't resist and was taken away in the car, while the other guy started throwing punches at on one of the cops and got chased down the street!

All the while Nico minds his own business. Liberty City is amazing :D

One memorable moment for me was going to a nerby hotdog stand by the pier. As I'm walking up to it a man is buying a hotdog and the owner says something about payment, at which point the person says there not going to pay.

Meanwhile a cop that was walking down the pier overhears that and decides to confront the man. He straight up drops his hot dog, books it running down towards the city, with the cop running in tow screaming at him. I just about died laughing.:lol

Wizpig

Papercuts said:

Because you don't have to hit Y!
KEEP Y PRESSED for some seconds to get in as a passenger.

calder

I'm now experiencing one of my very favourite things about GTA - when the game opens up and you notice a new area and the increase in game play mechanics and difficulty. Now that the cops are much more active about pursuit messing up a bit mid-mission is suddenly a hell of a lot more fun. :D

My "holy shit" moment so far was whacking a guy on a bridge in the middle of a rainy night with 2 wanted stars on me. As the cops pull up I walk up the guy rolling on the ground hurt and double tap him in the head. Then I take off in my stolen cab with a few cops chasing me, get a good head of steam and notice a path through some trees and down a small hill into a park-like area. Might get them off me a bit, so I nail the bike path at full speed, hit a fountain or something and go cartwheeling 100 feet though the air. Seeing the light from my headlights flashing crazily through the darkened park as my car flipped and spun was unreal.

Teknoman

guise said:
I suck at driving, in crackdown i used to run everywhere :lol

I'm playing 720p on a 26" TV... is it my eyes, TV settings or the game which is causing me to not be able to read some of the text / see the radar clearly

Hold Y

Eh it was like this for me in Lost Planet (post grab icons) and some numbers in MGO for base locations. Devs just make text to damn small on some menus even for HD. Turn large text on, helps for the cellphone. Radar icons...not so much. I just use the big map and set waypoints.

ThirstyFly said:
Where is this option? The pause menu or the phone itself?

Options menu (main) -> Audio -> Voice chat: Fade radio volume

I was playing a bit today. Will play more tonight. The art is pretty typical Rockstar, efficient and sloppy. Certain elements are great such as the cars and the damage system but most other individual parts are awful. Little in the way of shader work going on. Luckily as a whole it comes together pretty well. They have a hell of a balancing act to do in the game with system resources so I can forgive much of the look. I did get some really nice wow moments here and there though.

Wizpig

slasher_thrasher21 said:
One memorable moment for me was going to a nerby hotdog stand by the pier. As I'm walking up to it a man is buying a hotdog and the owner says something about payment, at which point the person says there not going to pay.

Meanwhile a cop that was walking down the pier overhears that and decides to confront the man. He straight up drops his hot dog, books it running down towards the city, with the cop running in tow screaming at him. I just about died laughing.:lol
You made that up, c'mon, i don't believe you.:lol

TheQueen'sOwn said:
Graphics are ok. They did a really great job on car textures. I don't like the overall picture quality though (I had no issues with Uncharted, Heavenly Sword, etc. etc.).
Gameplay is standard GTA fare but the world seems much more alive this time.
Before playing multiplayer (I can't connect): 9.2/10

I agree with you 100%. The graphics are decent and the picture quality isn't so hot. I just don't like how it appears to have vasoline smeared all over my TV screen.

Jirotrom

Jason's Ultimatum said:
I agree with you 100%. The graphics are decent and the picture quality isn't so hot. I just don't like how it appears to have vasoline smeared all over my TV screen.
how close do you sit to your TV? I have to sit at the proper distance for this game.

Wizpig said:

No I kid you not! The dialog might not be word for word but honestly thats what went down. Man buying hot dog, him and the owner exchanging words, cop overhearing, man dropping hot dog in fright and tearing off in the opposite direction, cop running after him madly. Me laughing my ass off. Then I bought me a good ole dog.

Zyzyxxz

calder said:
I'm now experiencing one of my very favourite things about GTA - when the game opens up and you notice a new area and the increase in game play mechanics and difficulty. Now that the cops are much more active about pursuit messing up a bit mid-mission is suddenly a hell of a lot more fun. :D

My "holy shit" moment so far was whacking a guy on a bridge in the middle of a rainy night with 2 wanted stars on me. As the cops pull up I walk up the guy rolling on the ground hurt and double tap him in the head. Then I take off in my stolen cab with a few cops chasing me, get a good head of steam and notice a path through some trees and down a small hill into a park-like area. Might get them off me a bit, so I nail the bike path at full speed, hit a fountain or something and go cartwheeling 100 feet though the air. Seeing the light from my headlights flashing crazily through the darkened park as my car flipped and spun was unreal.

:lol

I am only 2 hours into the game and nothing too big has happened.

I found out that people can be really pissed off if you hit them with your car, some driver started coming after me with his SUV and I was like WTF is with this asshole, I probably had hit him earlier.

Anyway the most random thing was I was driving Roman's car and slowing down for a congested corner at a red light.

Right when I am about to make the turn a small, Ford Focus looking car flies out of nowhere and pushes my car a few car lengths.

I use the joystick to look around and I see no reasonf or why it happened. I mean this car flew at me not sped into me!

Teknoman

Wizpig said:

lol nah it happens. :D

Same thing happened with a big rig driver, when he got pulled out of his car and got into a fist fight for not going when the light turned green.

And some of the peds cheer you on in fist fights.

Where are you guys getting this "smeared" graphics? The graphics look pretty sharp to me, for GTA anyway.

Also heres a WTF moment: I'm playing a missions right now that required me to
find some guys with a shipment of TV's
. I find em, but I didnt know they had guns. He pulls a pistol out, I get ready to run and take cover behind me car and WAM!! I get blindsided by a taxi who tells me to wake the fuck up. Then they shot me to death. It hit me so hard and with such an impact noise, I had to say damn irl.

The gun noises are awesome too.

EDIT: Damn it im taking a picture.

The funniest thing I've seen so far is getting into a fight with a woman on the sidewalk for no reason. Within a few seconds, two older men run up and start kicking the crap out of me. I didn't know the controls at this point so I was quickly losing. Down to the last bit of health, I ran into traffic and tossed out a driver. Before I could speed away, one of the old guys came up and almost opened the door.

But I floored it... and he still held on, dragging and bouncing along. I quickly thought of a solution to this so I went close to oncoming traffic and "brushed" him off against another car. A quick spray of blood and he was gone.

Euphoria made it perfect.

Top Bottom