• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Grand Theft Auto IV thread: The World Is Yours

Darko

WrikaWrek said:
Get a hooker in the car, when i start bangin her, what pops up in the radio?

MY MIND IS TELLING ME NOOOOOO
BUT MY BODY
MYYY BOOODDYYYY
IS TELLING ME YEEEEEAAAHHHH

I SEE NOTHING WRONG
WITH A LITTLE BUMP AND GRIND

:lol :lol

Oh and, then i took a turn around the corner and there was this dude picking himself a ho, i've been following him since.

:lol classic

traveler

Not Wario
Has anyone else heard the civil service game ad yet? Friggin hilarious.

"Now you can officially segregate people and keep the minority voter turnout down."

:lol :lol :lol

takotchi

I've been sitting in my office chair at my desk playing this on a 24" screen. On the 360 set at 1080p, the game makes me want to throw up. The blurry look from the upscaling just bugs the hell out of me. I set it back to 720p and it's fine, except I have to play in a little box; but I don't mind, I typically play games in 1:1 mode anyway. I just wish the 360 had an option like the PS3 does to automatically switch between 720p and 1080p depending on what the game is.

j-wood

Does anyone know if you use cheats on the PS3 version if it, "blocks" certain things, like it does on the achievements for the 360? I don't want to cheat during missions, but it's fun to just use a weapons cheat to go on a rampage. What happens if you use the cheat? I'd like it to save them to my phone unless it alters settings/gameplay

Jirotrom said:
Im assuming thats fine, I have 37 in, so I have to sit at around that distance, I feel that the filter was added to control framerate issues.

Yikes. I wonder if uping the sharpness from zero to maybe 35 will have any different.

One more thing. The hand to hand combat isn't so bad. I love the counters, especially when it comes to peds having weapons. Watching those live streams made it look like the combat was shallow. :lol

So has anyone figured out all of the moves?

-Press X to dodge and then triangle or circle to counter

-kicks, punches, head butt, and the one two punch

Is that it?

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
So what's the rule for cheats again-- can you turn them off? Do they permanently ruin achievements?

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Y2Kev said:
Do they permanently ruin achievements?

yes they do. I think you can fuck around with cheats all you want, just as long as you don't save/do a mission afterwards so you can reload.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
notjackbauer said:
i highly recommend switching to dashboard view and driving down a packed sidewalk.
heh, yeah. Lots of fun.

Has anyone tried driving to the middle island when its locked? I tried with a motocycle, and didn't last long. Another time I drove a boat over there, didn't even get to a dock on the other side. :lol

Tendo

How do I force the game to run in 720p? Someone earlier in the thread said the game at 1080p is full of jaggies, and so is my game. I tried looking in the options menu but saw nothing?

womfalcs3

Banned
Discovered Sleep Mode. Since I've temporarily halted the story, I'm going to solely explore the city and see all the venues.

Teknoman

Tendo said:
How do I force the game to run in 720p? Someone earlier in the thread said the game at 1080p is full of jaggies, and so is my game. I tried looking in the options menu but saw nothing?

PS3? In the XMB. Is 1080p GTA IV really that bad? Here is how 720p looks on my HD CRT. Im thinking about getting a 1080p LCD sometime in the fall.

2ikb1h3.jpg

20f28g1.jpg

Also no vasoline "smudged" view from what I see. Dunno if thats just a certain HD resolution issue or just you guys being picky.

Oh and most of the questions in the topic are either answered via ingame tutorials or in the manual (or should be in the manual).

EDIT: Is the social club site busted?

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Y2Kev said:
So what's the rule for cheats again-- can you turn them off? Do they permanently ruin achievements?

"Cleaned The Mean Streets", "Finish Him", "One Man Army", and "Walk Free" are the only ones that get disabled with certain cheats, a couple don't do anything. I don't know if it permanently messes with them though.

WrikaWrek

Banned
I saw a video or an image on Gametrailers where Niko was wearing a black suit with a white necktie.

So...i went to Perseus and i only see the Red tie, and then there's the grey suit...

And glasses, is the Russian shop at the beginning the only one with some eye glasses?

Somebody knows where i can find these items please?:D

D

Deleted member 20415

Unconfirmed Member
the MGS3 Ladder of Forever ALMOST has rival... the ladder in Meadows Park to get up into the tower... LONG.

Teknoman

Man I cant wait to try out PS3 MP with GAF. Oh and just reiterating, if you can play Gran Turismo decent, you can drive these cars. The driving play in this GTA is like Gran Turismo lite.

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
Lil' Jacob is awesome - I honestly didn't expect Rockstar to have someone to have such a true raw Jamaican accent, which I figured would trip up most people listening, then you meet his friend who is even more raw... :lol

Since I'm from the Caribbean I understood it all, but reading about you guys not understanding what he's saying is hilarious!

And if you thought that drunken walking/driving looked great, you guys should try drunken Darts - adds a bit more to actually make it a challenge! :lol

Finally, yes, the driving is spot-on - it's just like a sim, not arcade-style is all...

AmMortal

Banned
xbhaskarx said:
Mission (an early one) question:
I'm at the china shop and I need to throw something through the glass. I walked over to trash cans, newspaper stands, and a public phone and pressed LB, I can't seem to pick them up. What am I doing wrong?

use the knife you have and stab the windows.

Sol..

I am Wayne Brady.
Yo anybody hooked on the TV?

Fuckin Ricky Gervais has some real stand up on it.

EDIT; lol RSRs = Spartans.

Jirotrom

Jason's Ultimatum said:
Yikes. I wonder if uping the sharpness from zero to maybe 35 will have any different.

One more thing. The hand to hand combat isn't so bad. I love the counters, especially when it comes to peds having weapons. Watching those live streams made it look like the combat was shallow. :lol

So has anyone figured out all of the moves?

-Press X to dodge and then triangle or circle to counter

-kicks, punches, head butt, and the one two punch

Is that it?
no... because I've done a combo into a roundhouse kick.

cameltoe

TheQueen'sOwn said:
Graphics are ok. They did a really great job on car textures. I don't like the overall picture quality though (I had no issues with Uncharted, Heavenly Sword, etc. etc.).
Gameplay is standard GTA fare but the world seems much more alive this time.
Before playing multiplayer (I can't connect): 9.2/10

i agree...9.2 without the MP. With the MP its a 10 baby!!

i got to play one tdm game....there were 10 people playing and cops were on. It lagged quite a bit but man....it was the most fun Ive had with a game in a long long time.....

....i rounded a corner to find 2 guys on an enemy team in a gun fight with the police. I waited for the cops to soften them up a bit and moved in. I took out the 2 guys and now the police start coming after me. Out comes the rocket launcher, BOOM! 2 police cars explode, killing 5 of the officers...I spin around to take off when a team mate pulls up in a suv, I hop in and when take off like mad!! FUCKING AWESOME!

Papercuts

JB1981 said:
is the sound kinda low for anyone else - i have to turn the volume up very high to get good sound

Yeah, when I watch regular TV I always have it around 40-50, but games are always so loud I need to lower it to 10ish. But this game needs around a 20 for me, not sure why.

Skilotonn said:
Lil' Jacob is awesome - I honestly didn't expect Rockstar to have someone to have such a true raw Jamaican accent, which I figured would trip up most people listening, then you meet his friend who is even more raw... :lol

Since I'm from the Caribbean I understood it all, but reading about you guys not understanding what he's saying is hilarious!

And if you thought that drunken walking/driving looked great, you guys should try drunken Darts - adds a bit more to actually make it a challenge! :lol

Finally, yes, the driving is spot-on - it's just like a sim, not arcade-style is all...

I thought it was absolutely fucking hilarious when Niko tries to understand Badman's speech the first time he met him, followed by Jacob actually translating his thick Jamaican accent to a slightly less thick one :lol

The wit and serious depth to the characters in this game is incredible. Whenever Niko goes into his monologues about his war experiences and such, it sucks you in. The scene right after
you kill Vlad
near the start of the game, you suddenly realize, whoa this guy is so much more than just another generic GTA main character.

Teknoman

Jirotrom said:
no... because I've done a combo into a roundhouse kick.

Try to mix attacks as well. Many different moves. I beat the breaks off of
Vlad's cronies
with two counters and a boot to the face.

Smokey

so does turning off the cell phone impact the story in any way or does it just stop it so you can have free reign around the city?

btkadams

Smokey Bones said:
so does turning off the cell phone impact the story in any way or does it just stop it so you can have free reign around the city?

it pretty much freezes the story so u dont get any calls. so ur free to roam the city as you wish

womfalcs3

Banned
JB1981 said:
is the sound kinda low for anyone else - i have to turn the volume up very high to get good sound

Yes. It's somewhat annoying to keep having to vary the volume between it and other games. My remote/TV aren't very responsive. There's a significant delay between when I press a button and when the command is actually executed on the TV.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
I think the graphics really strive to achieve a style that some here don't like...I love it. It looks amazing...really, really amazing.

But, maybe that's just me.

Zyzyxxz

man the driving has really improved, so much understeer that I am not use to in a GTA game.

I end up drifting the cars alot because I braking is so slow.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Thank god the Chatpad works on the ingame internet.

gillty

Banned
Teknoman said:
Turn on Large Text for cellphone in its options menu. Thats should help.
i've tried that it helps a little, but the contrast on the phone sometimes makes it almost black it depends on the lighting.

Aladuf

Banned
chubigans said:
I think the graphics really strive to achieve a style that some here don't like...I love it. It looks amazing...really, really amazing.

No, I'm with you... I think the game looks fucking amazing.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
when do I get the upgraded cell phone (or a patch R*) so I can actually read it? Switching my TV settings every time I get a call has become annoying.

Papercuts

chubigans said:

I like the graphics, but I was really stunned at the thunderstorm, made the game look incredible. People walking down the streets with umbrellas or covering their head with a newspaper, crackling lightning, you can see the sidewalks glisten, and the roads make driving cars a lot more fun. :p

AmMortal

Banned
Zyzyxxz said:
man the driving has really improved, so much understeer that I am not use to in a GTA game.

I end up drifting the cars alot because I braking is so slow.

Same here, its like im drunk driving the entire time.:lol

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
The smudged look generally appears when distant areas show up on screen, such as the other islands across bodies of water. The graphics are definitely a good improvement over the previous entries, and the game can look quite nice in instances, but there are definite graphical compromises required to get such a large, streaming environment to work. I kinda blame every gaming website which has separate ratings for graphics and rated it a 10 - people are going in expecting the graphics (technical & image quality, not style) to exceed those in games where more "manageable" environments are used. (Another reason against numbered ratings systems, but that's a discussion for another thread)

Speaking of bodies of water. One way to get an instant 6-star wanted rating is to try to swim to the "locked" islands.
Got a 4-star when I entered the airport grounds thinking "lol security", but then climbing a ladder up onto a building triggered swat teams being sent after me. I guess jacking a plane might not be that easy.

So far I think the best part about the game are the characters and the written/spoken parts. Vehicles are perfectly fine, though you have to consider that each handle differently - choose wisely. I haven't spotted something like the scooter from vice city - handy little bugger for exploring.

Haven't tried multi as the servers are down.

NameGenerated

Who paid you to grab Dr. Pavel?
Tendo said:
Aye, I would like to know this as well. 1080p 360 Version is Jaggie-central

D

Deleted member 20415

Unconfirmed Member
Anyone hear the promo for "Radio Carbon Dating"

Amazing.... "Because as we all know, women are liars." :lol

Top Bottom