• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Grand Theft Auto IV thread: The World Is Yours

The biggest problem I have with this game so far is how overwhelming it is. The portion that is available to you at the beginning is pretty substantial from what I can tell.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Hah, I had a Banshee and was driving fast in a thunderstorm, trying so hard to keep straight in the rain-soaked roads...then the lightning hit and caught me so off guard I careened out of control and off the bridge. :lol

Every time I try connecting to multiplayer in the PS3 version, it fails to connect. How am I supposed to play online?

Edit: Nevermind, I see that this issue has already been noted.

Also, how are the jaggies in the 360 version on 720p sets? The PS3 version has more than I was expecting (not too bad though), and I'm not sure if it's my display or what not.

Teknoman

Papercuts said:
I like the graphics, but I was really stunned at the thunderstorm, made the game look incredible. People walking down the streets with umbrellas or covering their head with a newspaper, crackling lightning, you can see the sidewalks glisten, and the roads make driving cars a lot more fun. :p

Yup the game takes on a shiny sharp sheen ( :lol ) when it rains. The thunder delay after the lightning+vibration for the first time made me think someone was shooting at me.

Hey guys

I know this sounds really REALLY noobish, but how do you get online with the PS3 version? It just starts me straight to the main game and I can't figure out how to get the thing to go to multiplayer!

Thanks in advance!

DaCocoBrova

Finally bought a new PSP, but then pushed the demon onto someone else. Jesus.
^^

Get to know your cell phone... Everything is done with that.

On foot controls should be a lot more responsive. For example, I'd really appreciate the whole Gears' 'snap to' thing when it comes to ladders and such.

Kind of a waste to have nailed everything else so perfectly, but skimp on the playability in that regard.

Teknoman

krackerjack said:
Hey guys

I know this sounds really REALLY noobish, but how do you get online with the PS3 version? It just starts me straight to the main game and I can't figure out how to get the thing to go to multiplayer!

Thanks in advance!

Boy be needin to eye dem manual. Torial give info on de mulplaya.

Scotch

Well I'm 10 hours in and enjoying the hell out of it.

Love the car handling, because it really gets the feel right of those car chases in bad movies, sliding around every turn, etc. Plus I'm not an idiot who doesn't know how to use the brakes. And once you finally do get a proper sportscar it feels extra rewarding.

Love the city as well. Like GTA3 there aren't any rich districts available to you right away, so you have something to look forward to. As opposed to Vice City where you can just get all the best cars right away. Can't wait to make it to Manhattan.

Hand to hand combat feels weak, probably even weaker than San Andreas which is a shame. Gunplay has improved but still leaves a lot to be desired. I wish they'd just copy Uncharted in this respect.

I have to say though, that 10 IGN gave for the graphics is a FUCKING JOKE. I really love the overall look, but it definitely has some problems, like the framerate, dithered shadows, etc.

lil smoke

Banned
DaCocoBrova said:
On foot controls should be a lot more responsive. For example, I'd really appreciate the whole Gears' 'snap to' thing when it comes to ladders and such.

Kind of a waste to have nailed everything else so perfectly, but skimp on the playability in that regard.
Wow, just came here to post that.

I wish the control wasn't so loose. It's like trying to drive a boat. It would be nice if I could just step backwards instead of him turning around. I'm trying to locate which of 6 cops are shooting at me, and want to strafe back for a better view, but I spin around, lose orientation, and am dead before I know it.

Was San Andreas this loose?

Everything else is mindblowing. I don't think I'll be doing any missions for awhile... Want to explore. I went to Manhattan in free roam, and I think I like Brooklyn better (excuse me I can't be bothered to remember the names yet!) Going to be hard not to stay up all night on this, man.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
krackerjack said:
Hey guys

Thanks in advance!
I assume its the same as 360. Open up your Cell Phone. Its up on the D-Pad in the 360 version.

Ferrio said:
This recent? Last night I had no troubles...

me neither, which i thought was pretty odd because i hosted a round of DM.

it was surprisingly fun too, the open world environment lends itself pretty well to a game mode that would otherwise be considered boring when compared to everything else offered.

i'm pretty excited to try out those co-op missions.

Pimpwerx

The driving camera is garbage. Well, the camera in general is pretty crap. It's better than past games on-foot, but the driving cam seems like a step back. I use the most distant view, but it still can't keep up. The worst is changing elevation and not having the camera adjust in time. It makes driving a chore. If there was auto-sprint/run, I'd travel on foot, taking the subway whenever I could. PEACE.

lil smoke

Banned
Pimpwerx said:
The driving camera is garbage. Well, the camera in general is pretty crap. It's better than past games on-foot, but the driving cam seems like a step back. I use the most distant view, but it still can't keep up. The worst is changing elevation and not having the camera adjust in time. It makes driving a chore. If there was auto-sprint/run, I'd travel on foot, taking the subway whenever I could. PEACE.
Use the traditional trick: Look backward to regain orientation when in a car. It's the only way.

FFChris

Scotch said:
I have to say though, that 10 IGN gave for the graphics is a FUCKING JOKE. I really love the overall look, but it definitely has some problems, like the framerate, dithered shadows, etc.

I agree with this. With the graphical oddities that occasionally pop up, it doesn't deserved a 10, but the game still looks fantastic. It's mainly the lighting, absolutely gorgeous.

_mo

gotgta.jpg

Kittonwy

Banned
Pimpwerx said:

I used to just run all over the place in San Andreas, I figure on-foot is probably my favorite way of getting around in the game aside from the jetpack.
serious.gif

how are you guys liking the radio stations?

i'll spoiler tag this just in case...

i almost fell out of my chair laughing when the female caller was bitching about how her husband is a fantasy game nerd and refers to her as a troll in bed and every time he does her from behind he shouts "2 damage 2 damage" :lol :lol :lol

Ok here's a random moment. I just jacked someones car and as I close the door their arm gets stuck in the door. So there I am driving down the road with the person screaming as I drag there body going 40 mph. :lol

lil smoke

Banned
Kittonwy said:
I used to just run all over the place in San Andreas, I figure on-foot is probably my favorite way of getting around in the game aside from the jetpack
I would pay any amount for DLC jetpack.

Truelize

Steroid Distributor
Eric WK said:
They're flying rats (pigeons).

Haha. Do I have to shoot them outta the air or something? Or they just sit there? Are they even noticeable? I spent a good amount of time walking down alleys looking for stuff and never noticed anything remotely like a pickup.

El_TigroX said:
the MGS3 Ladder of Forever ALMOST has rival... the ladder in Meadows Park to get up into the tower... LONG.
lol I just climbed that. It was like living out one my real life fantasies :lol I've always been too chicken to climb the fence (it's all boarded up IRL).

Just got home with my copy. I ran over a guy in my rush to play, hope it doesn't make the news and give gamers a bad name. He kinda looked like Jack Thompson, anyway.

Teknoman

xS1TH L0RDx said:

i almost fell out of my chair laughing when the female caller was bitching about how her husband is a fantasy game nerd and refers to her as a troll in bed and every time he does her from behind he shouts "2 damage 2 damage" :lol :lol :lol

:lol Heh when they mentioned aggro that was nice too. The
Space marine
spoof was pretty funny on TV as well. But I demand Rockstar issue a patch to let us buy stuff off the Home shopping show.

Pigeons arent flying or anything, they sit with a red circle around em like a weapon. Small throwable items dont have any indicator so experiment. The pigeons can be anywhere...you'll most likely find em hoofing it from the cops.

Also wtf is with the color complaints? Unless you've got a system problem or TV setting problem, the colors are "vibrant" enough. Then again, people always complain about something in every GTA game (some people even complained about GTA III being 3d).

Also its still got a generally smooth frame rate, and even with alot of cop cars ramming me in one spot with 3 stars, no slowdown.

Coop

xS1TH L0RDx said:

Yeah that was hilarious... I'm really liking the TV shows too.

KGKK

Banned
OMG this game is awesome. So much detail!!! I'm at the part Dimitri
betrays me and tries to have me killed. Fucking gay prick
Niko is such a great character, love his sense of humor. When you're about to get laid, " Hey.....I respect you":lol Still haven't found any hidden packages yet. Are they in the game?

takotchi

NameGenerated said:
Aye, I would like to know this as well. 1080p 360 Version is Jaggie-central

No automatic way to do this like on the PS3, at least that I could find. You just have to go into the Console Settings under the System blade and switch to 720p.

Smokey

Scotch said:

I don't think so. It really is amazing looking. Tons upon tons of detail in a huge environment like this is amazing.

Truelize said:
Haha. Do I have to shoot them outta the air or something? Or they just sit there? Are they even noticeable? I spent a good amount of time walking down alleys looking for stuff and never noticed anything remotely like a pickup.

They're just kind of sitting there with a red ring around them. The first one I found was in the gazeebo in Outlook Park in Broker, you could find that one and then you'll know what to look for.

~Kinggi~

Banned
Ive been watching Weazel TV for the past hour. An hour of original content, on 1 channel, on a small tv right at the start of the game, and its actually funny. This really is the most expensive game ever.

painey

that 30 hour achievement has me pissed off beyond belief.. i want to enjoy the game and watch TV, look for pigeons, explore.. but this achievement to beat the story in 30 hours is constantly hanging over me.. i hate the idea of blocking it off and i dont want to play through again.. really, really fucking stupid to put it in if you ask me.

Yeah guys I can't connect to any type of multiplayer....heck when I try to dial a number into the phone...alls I can do is bring up the cell phone where it says "multiplayer"....how do I dial numbers into the phone?

SpeedingUptoStop

will totally Facebook friend you! *giggle* *LOL*
multiplayer is SO MUCH FUN. Even when shit's fucked uo (like when I accidentally step out of the cars during cops and crooks) it's still fun. the only annoyance is running on foot, which is oddly slow for multpilayer, and the fact that cars rarely spawn.

i haven't played much missions (only completed first date) but I love that I can punch a guy, run off with him chasing me, run into the street where a cop can see me, have the guy punch me back, then the cops get out and shoot the guy to death.:lol That's the best.

Everdred

painey said:
that 30 hour achievement has me pissed off beyond belief.. i want to enjoy the game and watch TV, look for pigeons, explore.. but this achievement to beat the story in 30 hours is constantly hanging over me.. i hate the idea of blocking it off and i dont want to play through again.. really, really fucking stupid to put it in if you ask me.
I thought that was really sillly aswell, but I'm assuming you can probably beat the main story in 15-20 hours if you really wanted to.

acevans2

krackerjack said:
Yeah guys I can't connect to any type of multiplayer....heck when I try to dial a number into the phone...alls I can do is bring up the cell phone where it says "multiplayer"....how do I dial numbers into the phone?
push up again on the d-pad.

Windu said:
Has anyone tried driving to the middle island when its locked? I tried with a motocycle, and didn't last long. Another time I drove a boat over there, didn't even get to a dock on the other side. :lol

I tried swimming across. I'm sure you can guess the outcome.

:(

SpeedingUptoStop

will totally Facebook friend you! *giggle* *LOL*
Pimpwerx said:
I agree, the driving camera is a pain, I always have to adjust it because it goes under the car for no god damn reason. I'm going up a hill and it can't keep up, that's annoying.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
so... Ok..

How do you do vigilante missions and paramedic stuff?

Teknoman

krackerjack said:
Did you see the tutorial on that?

EDIT: Driving camera isnt bad. Just move with the right stick the way you would when running or driving in any other game with a fully controlable camera.

Top Bottom